PDA

View Full Version : Help me make sure I have this right...(re:Alter Self)

barna10
2013-02-04, 07:09 PM
So, you lose any Ex abilities of your native form and you don't gain any of the new form (not concerned with Ex Attacks). This means a Troll that cast Alter Self loses regeneration, even if he were to change into another type of Troll. Am I reading this correctly?

If so, totally hating on WOTC right now...

Karnith
2013-02-04, 07:34 PM
That is correct. The SRD description of Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) specifies:
You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.
It also calls out things that you explicitly do not gain:

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.
Silly though it may be, a troll using Alter Self to transform into a different kind of troll would not only lose regeneration while in another form, but would also lose its scent, rend, low-light vision, and darkvision abilities.

barna10
2013-02-04, 07:36 PM
Ridiculous. Thanks for the confirmation. Can anyone think of a justification for this, why it's necessary?

Crake
2013-02-04, 08:36 PM
because it was designed with the idea of phb races using it?

barna10
2013-02-04, 08:41 PM
because it was designed with the idea of phb races using it?

You mean the ones that don't have any over-powering Ex abilities?

akahdrin
2013-02-04, 08:51 PM
Your troll can just use disguise and accomplish the same thing and keep his regeneration and it won't be seen through with other spells. Win/win for you ;)

Deaxsa
2013-02-04, 08:54 PM
it feels like "alter self" should be named "alter my physical ability scores and lose my special qualities"

JaronK
2013-02-05, 12:34 AM
Of course, even with the PHB races it's a bit silly, since turning into a Human gives you a Bonus Feat of your choice. Neat.

JaronK

barna10
2013-02-05, 12:46 AM
Of course, even with the PHB races it's a bit silly, since turning into a Human gives you a Bonus Feat of your choice. Neat.

JaronK

Holy crap! Never realized that. Who needs Chameleon?