PDA

View Full Version : Down for the count.....now what?

D4rtagnan
2013-02-04, 07:54 PM
Alright I've recently built a unarmed swordsage with a focus on tripping. I've got most of the feats down, so I don't need any advice on that....but I was wondering is there any feats/class features (going to have a cohort) that specialize in punishing enemies for being prone?

Illarion
2013-02-04, 09:24 PM
stuff like power attack that allows you to trade BAB for bonus's work great since being prone hurts the targets AC. Also, stuff taking advantages of AoOs would be good since you should be getting a few of those.

Matticussama
2013-02-04, 10:18 PM
Anything with Sneak Attack, so probably some type of Rogue build. As a Swordsage you probably already a skill monkey, but with a Rogue cohort you could get any skills that you're lacking covered. Plus all of the usual trapfinding and Use Magic Device benefits, of course.

Flickerdart
2013-02-04, 10:42 PM
Anything with Sneak Attack, so probably some type of Rogue build. As a Swordsage you probably already a skill monkey, but with a Rogue cohort you could get any skills that you're lacking covered. Plus all of the usual trapfinding and Use Magic Device benefits, of course.
Prone creatures are not any more vulnerable to sneak attacks than are non-prone creatures.

Matticussama
2013-02-04, 11:21 PM
Oh, you're right. My mistake.

Even so, after double-checking the precise limits of being prone, I think Rogue would still be good. Presumably if the enemy is knocked prone you could more easily set up flanking conditions. They'll take a -4 penalty to attack the Rogue (and whoever helps it flank) and the Rogue will gain a +4 to hit (assuming they enter into melee). That helps to negate some of a Rogue's basic weaknesses by improving its defense and chance to hit. Plus, having a skill money/trapfinder/UMD Cohort is always helpful.

D4rtagnan
2013-02-05, 02:06 AM
there already a rouge in the party. I'm more just looking to stuff that punish folks for being prone.