PDA

View Full Version : [PF] When you have lots of GP...

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-04, 09:42 PM
Should you spend it down to the last copper piece, Or, Save it?
(Is a Sorc, and is deciding if he wants to save his 50K or spend it)

tyckspoon
2013-02-04, 09:50 PM
Spend it. Reserve a little bit in case you need to be able to throw a bribe at an NPC or buy a miscellaneous alchemical item or something, but spend most of it. Unless your character goal is to establish a bank or a new wealthy noble family or something else that requires a lot of capital, you get no benefit from holding on to any significant amount of GP. (Of course, what counts as a 'significant' amount of GP is relative; If you're high-level, you may have 10,000 GP worth of pocket change simply because nothing that is relevant to you is that cheap.)

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-04, 09:53 PM
Spend it. Reserve a little bit in case you need to be able to throw a bribe at an NPC or buy a miscellaneous alchemical item or something, but spend most of it. Unless your character goal is to establish a bank or a new wealthy noble family or something else that requires a lot of capital, you get no benefit from holding on to any significant amount of GP. (Of course, what counts as a 'significant' amount of GP is relative; If you're high-level, you may have 10,000 GP worth of pocket change simply because nothing that is relevant to you is that cheap.)

Spend it, Okay....Then, Now i need to find something useful to spend it ON..

Norin
2013-02-05, 04:03 AM
Depending on your build/current stats and feats i would spend some on upping my cha stat and maybe some metamagic rod(s).

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-05, 04:05 AM
Depending on your build/current stats and feats i would spend some on upping my cha stat and maybe some metamagic rod(s).

I has a CHA of 46, And I have lots of GP to burn, So I think I might be getting some of those...After i look at them.

Alleran
2013-02-05, 05:00 AM
I has a CHA of 46, And I have lots of GP to burn, So I think I might be getting some of those...After i look at them.
What level are you and how did you get your CHA that high? It's not normally something I'd expect to see, and might help pinpoint things to spend your money on.

Krobar
2013-02-05, 09:40 AM
I have a bard in the game I'm currently running that came into a bunch of gold and gems. Now, whenever he comes to a new town, he finds the person in charge of collecting taxes and pays double everybody's taxes for the next year or two, so that the people don't have to, with some extra for the tax guy. He only asks that a festival be thrown in celebration.

He has a whole lot of friends all over the place.

ericgrau
2013-02-05, 09:43 AM
Save a good chunk for random problems that may arise, maybe 5-10%. Spend the rest.

You can rarely have too many lesser rods of extend spell. 24 hour greater magic weapon for everyone.

But with 50k... I'd go all out and pick up a staff. Take your first choices for high level spells known and make them your high level spells known. But shove your second (but still good) choices into the staff to give you more options, and more of your highest level spells per day too. Nothing like going nova all day every day, and with twice as many ways to do it as before.

Raven777
2013-02-05, 10:35 AM
Make sure you always keep 5,000gp in reserve to afford a Raise Dead casting, should you ever need one.

Xerxus
2013-02-05, 10:47 AM
Cha 46? I can't see why you would even consider paying for stuff when you could just bluff someone into giving you everything they own!

Raven777
2013-02-05, 10:48 AM
Diplomacy might be preferable.

Karoht
2013-02-05, 12:02 PM
Spend it, Okay....Then, Now i need to find something useful to spend it ON..
5 grand left and nothing particularly useful to spend it on?
Scrolls and Potions. Maybe a cheap wand like Anticipate Peril, Nondetection, Mage Armor, Shield. Scrolls of higher level spells tend to be a good purchase. One casting of Summon Monster 6 or higher can really help out in a tough encounter. Or a 4th level Paladin spell such as Bestow Grace of Champion, it provides some efficient healing and a few other goodies. Who doesn't want 7 levels of Paladin if they aren't already one, right now?
A few extra Heal spells in scroll form never hurts.

The only downside to Scrolls and Wands is that they are UMD dependant of course, or that you buy scrolls from your spell list and have sufficient stats to cast.

Less than 1000? Fun stuff. Mostly RP junk, like throwing a party for the town or something.

Norin
2013-02-05, 12:30 PM
Break it all down in smaller currency (copper), put it all in a huge pile, curl up on top and enjoy it.... :)

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-05, 01:22 PM
Break it all down in smaller currency (copper), put it all in a huge pile, curl up on top and enjoy it.... :)

pretty much what I planned to do.

18th level sorc, and I like undead.
Also a demon.

Krobar
2013-02-05, 02:58 PM

TREASURE BATH!!!

ericgrau
2013-02-05, 03:05 PM

Also a demon.

Oh level 18? 50k isn't that much then. You could squeeze maybe 1 good spell into a staff. I'd blow it all on miscellaneous things then, because at your level "miscellaneous" items cost hundreds or thousands. Utility scrolls and wands, lesser rods of extend spell for buffs, maybe a regular rod of extend spell or two, diamond dust for stoneskin spamming, other "expensive" (not anymore!) material components to spam powerful spells. Crack open the magic item compendium, look at wondrous items and rings sorted by price, and take a look at everything costing 5,000 gp and less to see if there's anything interesting.

Karoht
2013-02-05, 03:08 PM
50K?
Rod of Absorbtion can be a good purchase, but there are many things under 20K, and utility stuff like scrolls and potions and wands that I would go after first.

Derpldorf
2013-02-05, 03:10 PM
Don't frivolously spend or uselessly save but INVEST! My favorite thing to do to make money is build roads, that's right, roads. Especially around major cities and trade routes. Wall of stone + shape stone + lyre of building + leaderships worth of warrior path guards + passage tax = Possibly millions of gold worth of profit depending on location and traffic. You may even want to take a few levels of runecaster or get spell traps that increase movement speed or such for even higher tolls.

Toll roads are great :)

Karoht
2013-02-05, 03:17 PM
With 70K a friend of mine decided to burn it all building a Zip Line from the top of a mountain to the bottom.
With rock and roll theme music.
And fireworks.
And at the top there is a sauna and a hot tub and ye olde booze shoppe.
And at the bottom there is a device which one places a bunch of gold coins in a slot and it teleports you back to the top.
And possibly both blackjack AND hookers, if one knows where to look

But hey, you probably want more useful suggestions I take it.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-05, 03:19 PM
Depends on what you mean by a lot. Sometimes I am forced to save up because there honestly is no place to buy or sell anything. Other times there is nothing I want for my character and what I do want is just a little bit more. If I can't arrange an intra-party loan, I have to save up.
As much as adventurers might have a similar reputation to Klondike gold diggers (spend when you have it), it does make sense sometimes to save up.

Psyren
2013-02-05, 03:22 PM
Remember that PF sorcs get UMD. So grab just about every magic item that looks interesting/vaguely useful, even cleric/druid stuff. Get a luckstone and maxed out stat gear. Get a scarab of protection.

Check Shax's guide too - most of the core stuff made it into PF, and even some of the splat stuff.

Karoht
2013-02-05, 04:07 PM
Do what my Vow of Poverty Druid did.

Buy Land. Hire Rangers to manage the land. Hire Druids to manage the land. Turn the area into a protected space for wildlife and such. Donate land to the Druids.
Ask that a temple be built to nature itself.
Non-prophet organization, GO!

Ravens_cry
2013-02-05, 04:19 PM
Do what my Vow of Poverty Druid did.

Buy Land. Hire Rangers to manage the land. Hire Druids to manage the land. Turn the area into a protected space for wildlife and such. Donate land to the Druids.
Ask that a temple be built to nature itself.
Non-prophet organization, GO!
How can a temple be a non-prophet organization.:smalltongue:

Karoht
2013-02-05, 04:39 PM
How can a temple be a non-prophet organization.:smalltongue:
Nature has no designated prophet. It's nature. It doesn't have a deity.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-05, 04:46 PM
Nature has no designated prophet. It's nature. It doesn't have a deity.
Even with no diety, you'd still have prophets. Remember the Lorax?

Karoht
2013-02-05, 05:02 PM
Self Appointed.
Not official.
Excommunicated for the outrageous mustache.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-06, 10:27 PM
Unless you really want a specific item you can't quite get/afford yet, there's not much reason to hoard your wealth. As long as you're buying upgrades and items you were planning on getting anyway, you're not losing money from selling it later for half. So you have the same "amount of wealth" either way, but the dude who bought gear can kill stuff and survive much better than the hoarder. Which may even mean he can fight more or stronger foes and thus obtain even *more* money than he could have otherwise.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-06, 10:34 PM
My friend told me to spend it all on metamagic rods..
Should I do that?

Raven777
2013-02-06, 10:40 PM
As a sorcerer? Definitely. Dazing Spell and Quicken Spell will give you excellent mileage for your buck.

ericgrau
2013-02-06, 10:44 PM
Nah anything that isn't a 9th level equivalent or at least 7th-8th isn't worth your time. That requires at least a normal rod, which is expensive. They are worth it on spells cast outside of combat, since they don't use your time. That's why I like lesser extend spell rods so much. You might push it to a regular extend spell, but that's it. Even a regular empower rod is 32,500 gp and the benefit is ho-hum. A lesser quicken might be nice, but as a pathfinder sorcerer surely you must have the quicken feat already. And plenty of 7th level spells per day to spare so that the rod would usually be worthless. Lesser dazing when you have 9th level spells is likewise a waste of your combat rounds.

So unless you can find more to do between combats besides extend, I wouldn't load up on metamagic rods.

If only you had 170k gp to blow, then I'd say rod of greater quicken all the way. 'Cuz 2 9th level spells instead of 1 gives you twice the annihilation. Or dazing meteor swarm :smallbiggrin:. 50k gp at your level isn't that much. Whatever you buy won't be your main combat option in a fight. You need some small passive boosts that don't eat your turn or some between combat utility. Or as suggested you might want to save up more money for something big.

Eugenides
2013-02-07, 12:35 AM
You're a sorc. So knowstones.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-07, 01:11 AM
46 Charisma? Wands of spells you don't know?

Ravens_cry
2013-02-07, 01:35 AM
How the frack did you get 46 charisma?
Let's see.
Starting with 20 +6 from items,+5 from books, plus +5 from levelling, +3 from venerable, equals . . 39?
Even with the Half-Celestial template (a character got it in Shackled City), that's still a max of 43. Where is the last 3 coming from?

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-07, 01:59 AM
How the frack did you get 46 charisma?
Let's see.
Starting with 20 +6 from items,+5 from books, plus +5 from levelling, +3 from venerable, equals . . 39?
Even with the Half-Celestial template (a character got it in Shackled City), that's still a max of 43. Where is the last 3 coming from?

I am a Demon with +3 CHA mod, so....xD

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-07, 01:08 PM
I am a Demon with +3 CHA mod, so....xDThat still doesn't work

Point Buy: 18
Demon Racial Mod: +3
Level advancement: +5
Tome: +5
Headband: +6
Venerable: +3
Half Celestial (A Half Celestial Demon?, sure, why not) Template: +4

That's still just 44.

Are you a Vampire or a Lich?

doko239
2013-02-07, 01:16 PM
Hasn't yet been suggested, and you probably already have one, but a Robe of Arcane Heritage would be my best bet for at least some of your cash.

Also knowstones. Lots and lots of knowstones.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-07, 01:42 PM
That still doesn't work

Point Buy: 18
Demon Racial Mod: +3
Level advancement: +5
Venerable: +3
Half Celestial (A Half Celestial Demon?, sure, why not) Template: +4

That's still just 44.

Are you a Vampire or a Lich?

ick...

Point buy: 18.
Demon Mod: +4 (I looked it up)
Level advancement: +9
Wish x 4

Ravens_cry
2013-02-07, 01:52 PM
ick...

Point buy: 18.
Demon Mod: +4 (I looked it up)
Level advancement: +9
Wish x 4
Wishes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm)give inherent bonuses, the same kind as the tomes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tomeofLeadershipandInfluence).

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-07, 01:57 PM
Ah HA, I was going of Memory, I have not yet Used Wish.

CHA: Nysrock starts with 18 Cha, Giving me +8, I use point buy for 16 Cha, +8, 24, +11 from headband and Tome, Giving me 35 CHA +7 from leveling, +4 from Great Charisma Feats, =46.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-07, 02:28 PM
Ah HA, I was going of Memory, I have not yet Used Wish.

CHA: Nysrock starts with 18 Cha, Giving me +8, I use point buy for 16 Cha, +8, 24, +11 from headband and Tome, Giving me 35 CHA +7 from leveling, +4 from Great Charisma Feats, =46.

Also a demon.Wait

How do you have +7 from leveling? Do you have 18 levels in Sorcerer and 15 hit dice of Demon? You shouldn't be doing a point buy on top of that? I don't think... Great Charisma? The 3.5 Epic feat? That only gives you a +1 to Charisma.

Your math, I don't follow it.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-07, 02:34 PM
Wait

How do you have +7 from leveling? Do you have 18 levels in Sorcerer and 15 hit dice of Demon? You shouldn't be doing a point buy on top of that? I don't think... Great Charisma? The 3.5 Epic feat? That only gives you a +1 to Charisma.

Your math, I don't follow it.

I have +7 from leveling because I have 18 SorC HD, and 21 Nysrock HD.
I did have to use Point buy.
Great Charisma Can be taken as many times as you wish, I took it 4 Times.:smallconfused:

SowZ
2013-02-07, 02:40 PM
I have +7 from leveling because I have 18 SorC HD, and 21 Nysrock HD.
I did have to use Point buy.
Great Charisma Can be taken as many times as you wish, I took it 4 Times.:smallconfused:

At ECL 39, yeah, that Charisma is perfectly reasonable.

doko239
2013-02-07, 02:53 PM
At ECL 39, yeah, that Charisma is perfectly reasonable.

On the other side of that coin, at ECL39, 50000 gp is what you found in your couch today. Just go conquer a country, empty its coffers, and use that money to buy a different country.

Norin
2013-02-07, 03:11 PM
ECL 39...

Why are you playing around with "how to spend 50k" questions?

Just go grab what you want as far as items goes. Who is going to stop you anyways?

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-07, 03:15 PM
ECL 39...

Why are you playing around with "how to spend 50k" questions?

Just go grab what you want as far as items goes. Who is going to stop you anyways?

I'ts still more of a Getsalt thing, and besides, I still have to deal with higher Demons/Lords

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-07, 03:35 PM
I'ts still more of a Getsalt thing, and besides, I still have to deal with higher Demons/LordsNo one's saying Demon Lords can't stop you, we're saying that no earthly power can stop you. Just go to some city, and just take everything. You could probably bluff them into believing it was a money and magic inspection.

Derpldorf
2013-02-07, 04:01 PM
Grab the Landlord feat and build yourself a stronghold!

Let's see, the extra funding from each successive level doubles every three levels....

Taking that to your character level nets you... Holy heck! That's a completely ridiculous amoun- how are you even supposed to- geese.

Raven777
2013-02-07, 04:19 PM
I suggest that this thread be not about how to spend 50,000gp anymore, but rather about how to exploit the 39th ECL Demon Sorcerer's ludicrous Charisma Score to get even more stuff.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-07, 04:33 PM
No one's saying Demon Lords can't stop you, we're saying that no earthly power can stop you. Just go to some city, and just take everything. You could probably bluff them into believing it was a money and magic inspection.

Oh, and then take the leadership feat.

doko239
2013-02-07, 05:41 PM
Spend your 50k on a custom item of continuous glibness. Go out into the world and make your own cult.