PDA

View Full Version : Long Bow Paladin

Murray145
2013-02-04, 11:17 PM
For my next Pathfinder campaign I am thinking of playing a Human Paladin who wields a Longbow. I am wondering if anyone has tried this (or something similar) and can tell me how it played out for you; and does Smite apply to Ranged Attacks?

Psyren
2013-02-04, 11:20 PM
Yes, in Pathfinder smite applies to ranged attacks.

You can do this just fine with the base paladin, however there is an archetype that focuses more on archery (and even one that focuses on guns) if you want to be more specialized.

Bearlock
2013-02-05, 01:16 PM
The archetype is the Divine Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/divine-hunter). In my opinion, taking it depends mostly on what levels you are playing at and a little on how many other ranged attackers you have in the party. At higher levels I personally would rather have the default paladin auras, but if you only play to level 10 or so it could be worth it.

My go to archetype for ranged paladins is the Oath of Vengeance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-of-vengeance), which lets you swap lay on hands for more smite evil uses.

Other tips are pretty much the same as any other archer, stay out of melee, full attack as often as you can, have different arrows. A full attack from a +whatever holy longbow+str bonus+smite evil can do some damage.

CreganTur
2013-02-05, 01:45 PM
In the game I just finished running our Ranger archer was the most consistent and scariest source of damage when the Pallys (we had 2 differently designed paladins) weren't smiting.

I think you could make a very effective and scary Paladin archer, but you might need to mix in levels or Fighter so you can add on all of the good archery feats.

The main purpose of the paladin levels is the added damage from smiting, really. THe extra to hit is nice and so is bypassing DR, but if you pump your dex and get Clustered Shots then your to hit will be fine and you will be bypassing a lot of DR. Not as much as full bypass from Smite, but it's still pretty good.

rollforeigninit
2013-02-05, 07:06 PM
As I recall, the Divine Hunter is alright except that you give up Divine Grace for Speak Celestial. Quite possibly the worst trade in a Archetype or ACF ever.

Psyren
2013-02-05, 07:51 PM
As I recall, the Divine Hunter is alright except that you give up Divine Grace for Speak Celestial. Quite possibly the worst trade in a Archetype or ACF ever.

Wrong archetype - Empyreal Knight (the one that gets Summon Monster up to IX as an SLA) is the one that loses Divine Grace.

Snails
2013-02-05, 07:54 PM
In 3.5 Smite is melee only. But Divine Might adds to all hit point damage rolls in the round. If you can amp up your Cha, your full iterative attack can become very scary for 3 + Cha rounds per day.

You definitely want Rapid Shot and Boots of Speed to get the biggest full iterative possible.

Note that this stack does not necessarily require Paladin levels at all. It could be done with an unusual Clr1/FighterX build. Or mix in more Cleric levels (and perhaps Practiced Spellcaster) to get some Divine Favor goodness. Sometimes Divine Power can compensate for BAB loss, at higher levels.

Clistenes
2013-02-05, 08:07 PM
Zen Archery and Ranged Smite is what you need. Serenity will make your Smite Evil and other paladin powers dependant on Wisdom, so you can maximize your aim and damage.

Psyren
2013-02-05, 08:17 PM
Zen Archery and Ranged Smite is what you need. Serenity will make your Smite Evil and other paladin powers dependant on Wisdom, so you can maximize your aim and damage.

Are you thinking 3.5? OP is playing Pathfinder - Smites are already ranged and Serenity/ZA need to be approved.

Clistenes
2013-02-05, 08:23 PM
Are you thinking 3.5? OP is playing Pathfinder - Smites are already ranged and Serenity/ZA need to be approved.

Oh, sorry, I missed that.

Well, then. A Pathfinder Paladin already has almost everything those feats would grant, save using the same ability for aiming a ranged weapon and for Smite Evil.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-05, 08:29 PM
It's been theoretical yet, but a Vanilla Pathfinder Paladin with the right feats and geat, would do very well, I think. Oath of Vengeance is a good oath for ranged, as you can trade two uses of lay on hands for a a smite, substantially increasing your smite uses per day. The down side is it gives you a nerfed Aura of Justice, which is a incredibly powerful ability in the right group.

Psyren
2013-02-05, 08:55 PM
Oh, sorry, I missed that.

Well, then. A Pathfinder Paladin already has almost everything those feats would grant, save using the same ability for aiming a ranged weapon and for Smite Evil.

Well, Smite adds Cha to attack rolls anyway (in addition to Dex, rather than replacing it, even) so even that is taken care of. Moreover, you typically use it on the biggest bad in the room, who is also likely to be the hardest to hit; the mooks are unlikely to need smites to connect with. Add Deadly Aim on top of all that and a Palarcher is a pretty deadly addition to any party.

Murray145
2013-02-06, 04:49 PM
Do you guys think that taking level (even one level) in rogue a good idea? Extra Sneak Attack Damage and Stealth

Silvanoshei
2013-02-06, 04:59 PM
Why not make a Cleric, dress him up as a paladin, and get the spells, better yet, a Wizard that looks like a paladin, but with a longbow, and spells. :belkar:

Clistenes
2013-02-06, 05:14 PM
Well, Smite adds Cha to attack rolls anyway (in addition to Dex, rather than replacing it, even) so even that is taken care of. Moreover, you typically use it on the biggest bad in the room, who is also likely to be the hardest to hit; the mooks are unlikely to need smites to connect with. Add Deadly Aim on top of all that and a Palarcher is a pretty deadly addition to any party.

But is would be sweet if he could pump up Charisma all the way and use it to aim without spending Smite Evil uses...

Psyren
2013-02-06, 06:27 PM
But is would be sweet if he could pump up Charisma all the way and use it to aim without spending Smite Evil uses...

Eh, it would be nice, but since Smite doesn't add Cha to damage you can live without it. So a 14-16 in Cha before items is plenty, then throw your stat-ups to Dex.