PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 1st level (only!) feats

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-05, 01:24 AM
Exactly what it says on the can.

Are there any feats that can only be taken at first level that you like? Let 'em rip!

I'll start us off today, I guess.

Able Learner: Even without a Factotum dip, the ability to always pay 1 point/rank on former and current skills is fantastic.
Hidden Talent: There's a whole host of good 1st level powers out there for all psionic races that start with 2/3 bonus PP. Dimension hop, expansion, force screen, psionic minor creation, etc...
Warforged Body feats: Adamantine Body deserves special recognition, but I've seen a build or three with Mithral, Ironwood or Psiforged before.

Greenish
2013-02-05, 01:33 AM
I love Able Learner too. Other than those mentioned, I'd like to nominate Jotunbrud, the LA-free alternative to Powerful Build. Bonus points if you can wheedle your DM into allowing a small character to take it.

[Edit]: Oh, almost forgot: Education and Militia are both handy enough. Battle Jump is, well, more powerful than I'm usually comfortable with, and somewhat confusing, but deserves a mention.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-05, 04:28 AM
- Dragonwraught
- Illithid Heritage

Feats with great crunch benefit and great fluff behind them, too.

Ernir
2013-02-05, 05:04 AM
Troll Blooded!

Vaz
2013-02-05, 05:42 AM
Beauty's Bounty; Undead get HP's! Just make sure you ramp up your Charisma.

Waddacku
2013-02-05, 05:47 AM
Troll Blooded!

I'm with this one.

andromax
2013-02-05, 05:55 AM
Otherworldly can be awesome

Ranting Fool
2013-02-05, 06:12 AM
I can see how troll blooded is awesome (no need for pesky healing if you have time to regen) but needing toughness (which a lot of things seem to want) and getting fatigued in Sunlight as well as having to convince a DM you are from one of those zones could be a pain :smalltongue:

Able learner Always loved this one :smallbiggrin:

What book is Jotunbrud from?

Bakkan
2013-02-05, 06:21 AM
Absolutely Precocious Apprentice. On the low-end of power, it gives you a chance at having one more spell a day, and a more powerful one than you otherwise have access to. On the higher-end, this is key to some early-entry tricks that make theurges viable and can even be used to get a CL 7 scorching ray (that's two rays) each dealing 4d6 fire damage with a ranged touch attack -- at level 1.

Greenish
2013-02-05, 06:37 AM
What book is Jotunbrud from?Races of Faerūn. A human-only, regional feat.

kardar233
2013-02-05, 06:44 AM
I'm a huge fan of Dreadful Wrath. Primarily because I love fear-based characters, and it's one of the best supplementary fear effects.

Krobar
2013-02-05, 08:56 AM
I too am a big fan of Dreadful Wrath. It's a fun one.

gorfnab
2013-02-05, 01:22 PM
Magic in the Blood (PGtF) - Gives you a little extra spell casting at lower levels for races that have SLA's, like Drow and Gnomes (especially Whisper Gnomes).

Magical Training (PGtF) - Free cantrips and a spell book. With some CL cheese this can help qualify you for various feats and prestige classes.

Palanan
2013-02-05, 01:37 PM
I actually really like Education, for the basic benefits and also for the feel of it--the notion that formal schooling is the rare exception rather than a standardized norm.

Erik Vale
2013-02-05, 01:47 PM
Precocious Apprentice for early entry into wizard/other prcs.
Smooth Talk [Regional version] can save your bacon with a high diplomacy.
Colligiate Wizard, Double spells known, yes please.

The Viscount
2013-02-07, 01:13 AM
Apprentice can in many cases provide that one skill you are looking for.

VGLordR2
2013-02-07, 01:22 AM
I'm particularly fond of Mercantile Background (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/mercantile-background--1927/). Doubly so in a magic mart campaign.