PDA

View Full Version : Into the Weald [3.5, IC]

Barsoom
2013-02-05, 03:22 AM
OOC is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270457)

For generations, the people of Diggersford lived in peace with The Creatures - which was the name given to the fey, magical beasts and other strange animals populating Knotoak Weald. The peace was fragile and easily shattered - as happened one summer thirty years ago, which still lives in local memory. A group of local youths, drunk and having nothing better to do, lit a campfire at the edge of the forest, eventually setting the forest on fire. Unknown forces put out the conflagration, not before it cut a mile-wide swath through the woods; and then, the forest's revenge was swift and horrible. Dark as the night, furry creatures the size of a cow, swooped onto the village, slaughtering all in their path from cattle to infants. Also, your parents swear that the amount of lightning strikes hitting the village was inordinately large in the years since.

Whether the war ended or not that summer, the folk of Diggersford do not venture into the Weald readily. In fact, even the Krag hills, with their abandoned silver mines, fraught with falling dangers, are a more popular travel destination. But all this changed last winter.

In one of those caves, a horrible Red Dragon took roost, calling himself Pyredread. He announced his arrival in the middle of the night, burning three huts along with their inhabitants. The village folk were too weak to fight this menace. The few foolhardy souls who tried, perished in flames. The dragon now rules Diggersford from afar, demanding tribute of gold and food, and the village is rapidly running out of both. Help from the Duke is not forthcoming, and it's only a matter of time before you stand unable to satisfy the beast's demands.

With that in mind, the seven of you have been gathered in this hour before dawn. Standing at the outskirts of the village, your mission is clear - to venture deep into the forest, meet The Creatures, and plead an alliance. A small handful of village elders, as well as your loved ones, is bidding you farewell. Garet, who can barely walk. Maroin, the apothecary. Tom-Tom, the village fool, is here for some reason. They all look somberly, as you get ready to head for the burnt stretch of ground separating the village fields from the forest.

What will your journey bring?

Baverage
2013-02-05, 04:16 AM
Ludo moves to stand with his companions after carefully helping Garet to a log to sit on. He stays quietly to the side, occasionally throwing glances back towards the village before speaking up to say; "Elders, do you have any last words of advice before we depart? The forest Creatures are not found easily and I fear we have quite the quest before us."

stanleyindraven
2013-02-05, 08:47 AM
Peter grips the haft of his axe tightly. He looks around at the others, almost in disbelief that they should represent the town in this matter. "Or Tom-Tom, you have any words," he jested, trying to keep the quivering from his voice.

Atemus
2013-02-05, 11:37 AM
Excited. That's the word you were looking for. Excited to finally get to go into the forest. You've always been found of exploring new places, and this one place has always been off limits, until now.

"Is it time to go?"You ask, hardly able to contain yourself as you rock back and forth on the balls of your feet.

Magnera
2013-02-05, 01:01 PM
Caviclair gathered with the rest of his companions, upon the edge of town. His trident's prongs glow brightly with a yellow, heatless flame. The glow illuminates the early dawn like a firefly at night."I never thought this day would come. A day when my skills are needed."

stanleyindraven
2013-02-05, 01:19 PM
"Really? I figured mine would, I'm about the only one in town that speaks their tongue," Peter says with a roll of his eyes and a smile.

Atemus
2013-02-05, 03:09 PM
"Good to know I'm not the only one ready to go. Who knows what's in there! And they're going to help us get rid of that damn dragon!"

NightOwl451
2013-02-05, 06:37 PM
Aurelia hugged her father one more time before stepping away, avoiding the harsh glare of her mother. Walking quickly, she joins the group in seconds. May this dragon be defeated, and the town protected. She turns and faces the others, testing the weight of her crossbow before slinging it over her back. Are the rest of you ready?

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-06, 10:30 AM
Lilia stood to one side, not knowing the elders well enough to feel comfortable, and not with so many others who she knew even less. Her time in the village had only just begun, but it was obvious that these folk would need a healer, and thus she was the perfect choice.

In response to the other girl's query, Lilia quietly answered: "I am ready, I know not how to find these fey, but I'm ready to try."

Chromascope3D
2013-02-06, 11:51 AM
He stopped to speak with the aging alchemist. "Well, Maroin, I'd like to thank you for all you've done. It's been a real fun time. If I don't make it back, well, tell my family if they ever pass through." And with that, he joined the others. "Yes, I do believe I'm quite ready. It shall be interesting, at the very least, to connect with my roots."

Barsoom
2013-02-06, 01:08 PM
Ludo moves to stand with his companions after carefully helping Garet to a log to sit on. He stays quietly to the side, occasionally throwing glances back towards the village before speaking up to say; "Elders, do you have any last words of advice before we depart? The forest Creatures are not found easily and I fear we have quite the quest before us."
Garet mouthes a muffled thank you as he sits down, then scratches his head. The creatures you may meet might be indifferent to your fate at best, or as alien and hostile as Pyredread at worse. I only pray we made the right choice, and you are not sent to your doom. Regardless, remember where you came from, and remember who you are doing it for.

Peter grips the haft of his axe tightly. He looks around at the others, almost in disbelief that they should represent the town in this matter. "Or Tom-Tom, you have any words," he jested, trying to keep the quivering from his voice.The fool circles around you, hopping merrily, and tries to grab your weapon with his meaty palms. Sharp! Sharp! he chitters excitedly.

Aurelia hugged her father one more time before stepping away, avoiding the harsh glare of her mother.
Try as she might, those blue eyes are burrowing a deep hole in her soul.

He stopped to speak with the aging alchemist. "Well, Maroin, I'd like to thank you for all you've done. It's been a real fun time. If I don't make it back, well, tell my family if they ever pass through."
She looks at you with compassion and shakes your hand. Please do try to come back in one piece.

Having thus said your goodbyes, you leave the world you knew behind. As you walk through the fields, the sun's red edge shows over the horizon. You move away from the river, through the half-mile-wide stripe of burnt trees, standing sentinels at the edge of the dark forest, smelling of ash and soot, still, after all those years. As you come further, you find more green grass and shrubs - the forest is reclaiming its own. Despite that, the transition from the burned-out area to the living forest is very pronounced. The first living tree you reach is a lush oak, spreading its branches over a hundred feet wide. A spider web glistens between two low-hanging branches, awaiting unsuspecting moths and flies, which there is no shortage of in this summer morning.

You see there is something carved in the bark of the oak, some kind of symbols, possibly a writing, but you'll have to get very close to decipher it. Deeper inside the forest, a faint moaning sound reaches your ears.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-06, 01:23 PM
"I want to check that writing, anyone care to come with," Peter questions.

Atemus
2013-02-06, 01:46 PM
"I'll check around the area, feel free to check it out."

Check the immediate surroundings, as well as anything within eye-shot in the forest, without passing the oak.

Magnera
2013-02-06, 02:08 PM
" I will most certainly join you! Some one has to keep my allies safe. I'll keep an eye out while you examine the inscription" Caviclair felt happy, he felt a sense of comradery in this group. A big smile grew upon his face as he walked to his destination

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-06, 02:36 PM
Lilia steps up beside Peter, interested in what information the plaque might yield.

Baverage
2013-02-06, 03:58 PM
Ludo joins the scout and keeps an eye on the forest.

Barsoom
2013-02-06, 04:30 PM
Crudely carved on the tree, possibly with a dull knife, are eleven stick figures - complete with a head, torso, two arms and two legs. The figures are depicted in various poses - some simply standing, some with hands outstretched, or standing on one leg, or hunched over, etc. A small tear of dried up sap trails from the end of the right-most stick figure's hand.

Beneath the figures, the words NO MORE are cut into the bark.

Knowledge (Social) DC 15
Eleven happens to be the number of children that went missing during the great strife between the village and forest creatures thirty years ago

Magnera
2013-02-06, 05:44 PM
Peering over, Caviclair examines the carving."Sorry, I don't see anything relevant to our cause. It looks like it's just stick figures."

NightOwl451
2013-02-06, 07:35 PM
Aurelia steps up beside Peter and Lilia, clearly uncomfortable outside. She examines the carved figures as well.

Chromascope3D
2013-02-06, 08:34 PM
Dubhan approached them, and met their focus with his eyes. It seemed familiar somehow, as he wracked his memory.
"How strange, it's just like the tale. I believe those represent the stolen children, but what does it mean by 'No more?' Are they dead?" His voice died away before he finished. He had come across the tale in Marion's library several years ago, and he didn't know much more than what he had read. The carving itself was strange and primal, yet oddly beautiful and entrancing. He must have stared at it for a minute before he returned to reality.

Baverage
2013-02-06, 10:56 PM
Ludo wanders over and takes a long glance at the carving before shaking his head and walking further into the forest. "Not much to see there, moving on, yea?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-07, 04:33 AM
Lilia nodded along to Dubhan's assessment. "Perhaps a warning: we should not forget the number of children who died that night. Maybe they thought it the best way to remind us?"
Lilia hoped it meant an end to the war between the two peoples, and thus a chance of an alliance now, but she did not want to sound so naive before her companions.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-07, 08:47 AM
"Perhaps the children were turned to trees, or something similar. Look at the way the sap comes from the child's hand," Peter says as he touches his finger to the drop.

Atemus
2013-02-07, 09:11 AM
"That's not why the fire was started, was it?" Wind said, stepping slightly past the tree to get a better look into the forest.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-07, 12:29 PM
"I don't know, but either way this ominous plaque is not a helpful set of directions, so we should probably get on." Lilia was shy around strangers normally, but she did have one thing that annoyed her, and that was lack of efficiency (probably something the nuns instilled in her).

Magnera
2013-02-07, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately, Caviclair had only a small idea what everyone was talking about.
"I concur, we should keep moving. As much as what happened in the past is important, we need to also note our future. If we don't strike early, and build an alliance with the forest now, Pryedread will burn us all."

NightOwl451
2013-02-07, 04:44 PM
Aurelia shrugged. The carvings hadn't made sense to her. If it is a warning, they I suggest we proceed with caution. Either way, we do need to get moving as Caviclair suggested. We can't leave the village in danger.

Barsoom
2013-02-07, 06:08 PM
Since the majority voted to move on, I assume that's what you are doing
After a while, members of the group tear off their gaze from the carved oak and round it to venture into the forest proper. The moaning from before quieted down, only to soon reemerge from a slightly different direction. A bird sitting on a maple branch seemed intent on making eye contact with each and every one of you before spreading its wings and flying off. A few hundreds of yards deep, the undergrowth became dense and rough, prickly thorns slowing your progress significantly. About one mile deep, you run across a trail, where shrubs and bushes have been thoroughly trampled. The trail runs perpendicular to the direction of your travel, and is empty, both left and right, as far as you can see.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-07, 09:36 PM
"Lets cross this trail. We are getting closer, I know it. They know we are here, now we need to force them to show themselves without being aggressive," Peter said.

Magnera
2013-02-07, 09:36 PM
"Goodness, I am glad that we have gotten out of that difficult undergrowth, which way do we wish to travel? Perhaps by examining the ground, we might be able to determine which way is traveled more often." Caviclair keels upon the ground and observes the road's finer details.

Perception[roll0] This is for my roll to examine the tracks.

Also, for the record, my aura has been active since we started.

Baverage
2013-02-07, 10:17 PM
Ludo joins Caviclair in examining the tracks for any clue as to which way to head, and also takes a moment to listen to the eerie moaning, muttering to himself about that gods forsaken noise.

Perception check for the tracks [roll0]
and knowledge(natural) check to see if Ludo can recognize anything about the noise. [roll1]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-08, 07:18 AM
Lilia watches them looking at the tracks. "Well if there is a track it must lead somewhere. Therefore logically if we follow it we will find our way to some of the inhabitants of the forest, and they would at least know who we will need to speak with."

stanleyindraven
2013-02-08, 09:06 AM
"Or it circles the forest and we will be walking a trail, making ourselves targets, for nothing. They put it here, I doubt it goes straight to a settlement of any kind. Forest creatures wouldn't make a road for themselves, especially not one like this," Peter said as he started toward the deeper forest.

Barsoom
2013-02-08, 12:15 PM
Those of you who examine the trail find a mix of small hoofed animal tracks - possibly deer - but also one very large set of tracks, belonging to something ... huge. Clawed feet, must weigh several thousand pounds, judging by the depth of the print.

The eerie moaning - which doesn't sound as anything natural - has culminated in a brief yelp, then stopped, at least for now.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-08, 12:23 PM
"That is concerning. Time to get out of the open everyone," Peter calls to the others.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-08, 12:54 PM
"I agree," said Lilia, retracting her earlier suggestion, "I do not want to follow whatever made those tracks..."

She hurries the group across the path, continuing in the direction they were originally travelling in.

Magnera
2013-02-08, 01:09 PM
Caviclair, not liking the large tracks, spoke his mind to the group. "As much as I wish to use diplomacy, something that big probably wont be very willing to talk to a potential meal."

Baverage
2013-02-08, 03:21 PM
"Maybe those tracks are the dragon? Perhaps it's best to leave this path for later" says Ludo as he jogs across the trail into the farther woods.

NightOwl451
2013-02-08, 04:02 PM
That...does not look good. said Aurelia, noting the tracks. If those tracks are from a dragon, well I for one do not want to meet Pyredread right now. She follows Ludo, moving cautiously.

Atemus
2013-02-08, 04:50 PM
Wind moves closer, kneeling down to take a look at the tracks.

"Maybe I could identify them, hmmmmmm."

Barsoom
2013-02-09, 10:40 PM
The group stood by the clawed prints for a while, trying to discern their origin. A few theories were thrown out (a Dragon? Tarrasque? Dinosaur?), but nothing definite to match the evidence.

Chromascope3D
2013-02-10, 02:33 AM
"Maybe it was from a giant lizardfolk?" Dubhan joked. He points in the direction the leviathic prints are facing. "It obviously went that way..." he begins, before pointing in the opposite direction, "So I believe we should go that way."

At this he beamed, as if amused by his own cleverness.

Atemus
2013-02-10, 08:48 AM
"Or we could follow them, and they may lead us where we are going. We are here to meet the creatures of the forest, and barter for peace, not to run like cowards at the first sign of danger." Wind stood up from the tracks, regaining his slight lead on the group while the others regain their file.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-11, 12:40 AM
Lilia seems torn between the two proposals, but finally shakes her head: "But we know there are dangerous things here, and we would not be the first to fall foul of them: I doubt a purpose here would protect us from them." Lilia turns to Dubhan: "I agree with you: let's put some distance between that creature and ourselves."

She heads down the track in the opposite direction to the creature.

Baverage
2013-02-11, 03:40 AM
Ludo stands placidly just off the trail, alternating between giving Wind an appraising look-over and glancing around suspiciously at the sudden yelp. "The groups made it's decision. Besides, you won't find glory or honor or whatever your looking for impaled on a dragons tail. I'm ready to move if the rest of you are."

Magnera
2013-02-11, 09:01 AM
" Sure, we are here to try diplomacy with the indigenous creatures but, we are not here to find a big one that might want to eat us. There is a fine line between valor and foolish actions, I for one wish to at least fail at diplomacy first. Lets keep going!

stanleyindraven
2013-02-11, 04:35 PM
Watching the group walk down the open path, Peter called out, "And what if the creature wears its feet backwards?"
If I must follow, I will do so from the tree cover.

Magnera
2013-02-11, 05:42 PM
Caviclair bursts out laughing. " Well said! Very well said! "

Barsoom
2013-02-12, 09:19 PM
The group turned onto the path, moving north-east, away from the clawed tracks. It just seemed the safer thing to do. The sun was up in the sky now, shining through the treetops. It was getting hot, and humid. The path turned slightly to the left, north-north-east. And then ... something you weren't expecting... as the path brought you to a ravine about twenty foot wide and half as much deep, you see a wooden bridge spanning the gap. No doubt of artificial make, the bridge was composed of polished planks, fitting each other with hardly a gap to be seen between them, and standing on sturdy wooden stilts. On the other side of the ravine, the path continued.

Magnera
2013-02-12, 10:04 PM
Caviclair stops, his mouth wide open from the sight. " Amazing, the creatures of this land have built a bridge that rivals the best of our own. Now we know there really is someone we can talk to, and they have the power to help us!" Caviclair proceeds to examine the bridge in finer detail, a definite smile forms upon the lesser asimar's face as he engrosses in the thought of actually being able to succeed in his diplomatic mission.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-13, 08:51 AM
Lilia nods to Caviclair: "We should cross it, and swiftly. It seems sturdy enough." Lilia has little time for things such as bridges; after all, what could you learn from one? She glances peremptorily, just to confirm there is no sign on it, before stepping onto the wood and walking across...

stanleyindraven
2013-02-13, 09:01 AM
Perception [roll0]
Peter will look for any signs, any signs of creatures nearby and for any additional tracks/signs of construction.

NightOwl451
2013-02-13, 03:32 PM
Aurelia stands by the bridge, shaking her head. We should proceed with caution. Clearly we are nearing the allies we seek, but they may not be friendly to us. She steps up to the bridge, checking to see if the bridge is safe to cross.

Barsoom
2013-02-13, 07:39 PM
As Lilia steps on the bridge, she makes a few steps, and then, as if sucked down by an invisible force, is pulled down through the wooden planks, and disappears from sight!

Lilia
The planks, so sturdy at first sight, do not support your weight. You slip and fall through the bridge, landing heavily on the ravine floor, taking 4 damage

Everyone, Will save DC 15
Failure
*whoosh!!* Lilia just disappeared through the solid planks
Success
You recognize the bridge for what it is: a visual illusion covering a rotten, slippery, tree trunk that fell across the ravine many years ago. You can still see the bridge, but it's translucent, and beneath it, you can see Lilia sprawled on the ground after her fall

Chromascope3D
2013-02-13, 08:50 PM
He stroked his chin. "Hmm... looking at it now, it doesn't seem to be a bridge..." He moved to get a closer look, before he clapped his hands in glee. "How clever! Well, appearances can be deceiving, and I think we've been duped! It isn't a bridge, it's just a dirty old log!"
At this, the euphoria wore off. He had realized exactly what this had implied. "So, how do we get across?"

Magnera
2013-02-13, 11:52 PM
As Caviclair saw his party member fall through the bridge, it immediately became what it trully was. A simple log that had fallen down, it had become slick and mossy.
" A cunning illusion, cunning indeed. Let's get you out of there!"

Atemus
2013-02-14, 09:57 AM
"What are you two talking about? That's clearly a bridge."

Wind walked forward onto the bridge, seeing if he could find a way down to Lilia.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-14, 10:10 AM
"It's a trap either way. A perfectly built bridge on a stampede path in the fey woods, trap!" Peter advanced to the cleared path and looked down into the ravine.

Baverage
2013-02-14, 04:36 PM
Ludo runs to the edge of the ravine and calls out to Lilia, asking her if she's alright. He relaxes when he sees her sprawled, hurt but alive, on the ground.
Taking in the rotten log and the ravine Ludo isn't very worried. "Some of us might be able to climb over the log, and if anyone has ropes we should be able to easily traverse the ravine floor and climb up the other side."

NightOwl451
2013-02-14, 06:45 PM
Aurelia studied where the bridge used to be, thinking for a moment. I'm not sure we should risk the log, but I don't happen to have any ropes. If we need to cross the bridge, I volunteer to try crossing first.

Barsoom
2013-02-15, 12:58 PM
"What are you two talking about? That's clearly a bridge."

Wind walked forward onto the bridge, seeing if he could find a way down to Lilia.
Just as Lilia, Wind slips on the "planks" that appeared so sturdy a moment ago, and falls through. Acting on an instinct, he manages to grab for dear life in the last moment. Just as Lilia, he now realizes something's very wrong with the bridge - it's a translucent figment covering an old fallen log.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-15, 01:04 PM
"See that!? I knew we should avoid that bridge," Peter blurts out as he points at the second person to fall.

Magnera
2013-02-15, 03:53 PM
Caviclair immediately reaches out for Wind, to help him up from his fall. The marshal holds out his hand for his ally to grab onto. " Not so much a wooden bridge now is it?"

Atemus
2013-02-16, 09:05 AM
"Lilia, watch out! I'm coming down!"

Wind swings a bit on the branch, letting go and tumbling into a rolll, trying his best to avoid Lilia.

Chromascope3D
2013-02-16, 10:46 AM
"...Did we bring rope? I'd feel much better about crossing that fetid old thing if we had an easy way out of the chasm below..."

Baverage
2013-02-16, 10:20 PM
"Welp, this ravine ain't getting any younger. Anyone want to try crossing this thing or climbing down? I'll give you a hand or if no one wants to try i'll do it." Ludo says as he moves up to the rotten tree.

NightOwl451
2013-02-17, 09:52 AM
Aurelia studied the log for a moment, then shrugged. I'll try crossing the log. If I fall, I fall. I'll be getting across either way.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-17, 04:03 PM
Sorry been away from my computer for a few days.

Lilia crashed to the ground and cried out in pain as her ankle twisted on impact. She managed to stand and call up, showing the others she was still alive, ad she hopped to one side to avoid the next of her companion to crash through the illusory bridge to join her in the pit.
The ravine was not too deep however, and as the others considered their options, Lilia planted one foot in the packed earth on the other side of the ravine and tried to climb it, pulling herself towards the light.

ClimbCheck: [roll0]

Barsoom
2013-02-18, 12:54 AM
Lilia navigated the soft earth incline to climb out on the other side of the ravine, and from her vantage point, she can now see a T-junction on the trail - one branch keeps straight, another turns left.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-18, 05:40 AM
Lilia powers up the slope, surprised by her own skill at reaching the different handholds despite the encumbrance of her own armour.

Once at the top she turns back to the others: "There are two paths ahead, try and get over here."

She then looks towards the two trails, trying to discern if there is anything of note on either path that she can see.

Perception: [roll0]

stanleyindraven
2013-02-18, 09:52 AM
"Hmm, seems I didn't pack rope," Peter says as he rummages through his bag.

Magnera
2013-02-18, 09:56 AM
"Alas Peter, I am no better." Caviclair thinks to himself as to how he and the party can cross the bridge.

NightOwl451
2013-02-18, 10:34 PM
I'm crossing. If I fail, I'll join Lilia at the bottom. If I succeed, I'll check out what is on the other side of this log. Aurelia steps up to the log, and starts trying to cross.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-02-19, 05:47 AM
Lilia calls out to Aurelia: "I'm already across, you can climb the sides of the bank. There are two trails here, nothing else."

Barsoom
2013-02-20, 04:14 AM
Through the trees and the overgrowth, Lilia could swear she noticed a white fence at the path to the left.

Chromascope3D
2013-02-20, 11:36 PM
"Oh dear..." He wasn't too fond of the idea of crossing that log. Sure, he had done more dangerous stunts in his time, but he hadn't kept much in practice after settling down. Still, if everyone else was doing it, then he figured he might as well.

He made it about halfway across without incident, using his staff to help him balance, when his pack decided to start slipping off. He grabbed it before it got too far,and tightened the straps before continuing on. He mad it a few more feet before his own gave way.

Acrobatics to land gracefully: [roll0]