PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Permanency from another source?

Sayren-Hai
2013-02-05, 06:17 AM
Okay so I was looking at having some spells made permanent.
The reason I post this title is that I'm a druid so I have access to Greater Magic Fang, and want to boost my animal companion, is there anyway I can cast the spell then PAY an NPC wizard to cast the permanency is there a rule for this somewhere?

Also is the list in the PHB the definitive list or can I include some druid spells such as Barkskin?

Killer Angel
2013-02-05, 06:39 AM
It's the caster of the permanency, that must cast also the spell to be permanencied, so you had pay an NPC wizard to cast the permanency AND the greater magic fang.
Unless you've got UMD, in that case you can use a scroll of permanency.

Larkas
2013-02-05, 06:45 AM
Also is the list in the PHB the definitive list or can I include some druid spells such as Barkskin?

That list is exhaustive. Theoretically, you can't make anything that's not on that list permanent with that spell. But it doesn't hurt asking your DM.

Sayren-Hai
2013-02-05, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the fast replies, I'm sure someone out there is a book wiz and could find me a table or block of text that explains the cost of using an NPC Wiz to cast 2 spells.

Also with regards to permanency, I have Companion Spellbound so that if my companion is within 30' of me I share the same spells with him that are on me, how does this work with regards to Permanency and a spell on me?

TuggyNE
2013-02-05, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the fast replies, I'm sure someone out there is a book wiz and could find me a table or block of text that explains the cost of using an NPC Wiz to cast 2 spells.

Cast one spell, and then the other.

Oh, you meant the cost to cast a spell? SRD has it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#tableSpellcastingAndServices) .

JeminiZero
2013-02-05, 07:16 AM
The reason I post this title is that I'm a druid so I have access to Greater Magic Fang, and want to boost my animal companion

Incidentally, there is an item for this purpose called the Amulet of Mighty Fists (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofMightyFists) (although it applies to all natural weapons including bite/claw/etc). But it is generaly considered overpriced for its rather meager effect.

Another alternative, if your animal companion has a bite attack, is to buy a Mouthpick weapon for him (from Lords of Madness) which can be wielded in his mouth, and can be enchanted normally.

Darrin
2013-02-05, 07:49 AM
It's the caster of the permanency, that must cast also the spell to be permanencied, so you had pay an NPC wizard to cast the permanency AND the greater magic fang.
Unless you've got UMD, in that case you can use a scroll of permanency.

Find a cleric with the Time domain (or Spell domain for greater anyspell). If they don't have greater magic fang on their spell list, you can add it by giving them a Domain Draught (3300 GP, MIC p. 156). Dragon and Scalykind domains have greater magic fang.

Note: If your druid can get into a PrC that can prepare domain spells, you can do the same thing with a Domain Draught for the Time domain. Seeker of the Misty Isle or Divine Oracle should work for this, and for the latter you can visit the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel to pick up Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion).

That list is exhaustive.

It is not exhaustive. Savage Species p. 60 lists additional spells that can be permanencied, and there are several sourcebooks with new spells that note that they can be permanencied in the spell description (usually the various wall of {blah} spells).

Assuming you find a cleric with the proper domains (a cleric of Chronepsis, one of the dragon deities, has access to both Time and Dragon domains), the costs would be:

600 GP = 30 x 20 (3rd level spell x caster level)
1000 GP = 50 x 20 (5th level spell x caster level)
7500 GP = 1500 x 5 (XP cost x 5 GP)
--------
9100 GP Total

(add +3300 GP for each Domain Draught, if necessary)

If you go with a wizard/sorcerer with a high UMD check, you'll need to provide a scroll of greater magic fang (1500 GP for a 20th caster level scroll), and possibly a 300 GP potion of guidance of the avatar for a +20 on the UMD check).

Larkas
2013-02-05, 08:53 AM
It is not exhaustive. Savage Species p. 60 lists additional spells that can be permanencied, and there are several sourcebooks with new spells that note that they can be permanencied in the spell description (usually the various wall of {blah} spells).

I came back exactly to rectify that error! :smallbiggrin: That list is exhaustive... For spells present in the PHB. For any other sourcebook, the spell is called out as a valid target for Permanency in the spell description proper. That means that, if the spell is not described as being a valid target for Permanency (such as Barkskin), it can't be targeted by it. :smallsmile:

Khedrac
2013-02-05, 10:50 AM
Also remember that a permanent spell can be dispelled...

Mnemnosyne
2013-02-05, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure if it's complete or not yet, but the Permanency Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4544.0) has a lot of additional spells listed that can be permanencied, along with their sources.

Patrarkis
2013-04-15, 07:45 AM
I believe that the spell description says that individual spells may be researched as per a new spell so that with DM approval it can be made permanent. This would make any list far from compleat since the DM is final arbiter of what can and can't be made permanent.

kpenguin
2013-04-15, 11:19 AM
The Modguin: Locked for Threadomancy