PDA

View Full Version : How would one make a distinctive-looking Aasimar?

The LOBster
2013-02-05, 11:33 AM
See, with Tiefs, it's pretty easy to make them distinctive. 4E took this too far, I'd say, but simply giving an otherwise normal human a slightly reddish skin-tone, a stereotypical little devil tail and/or horns of various sizes would work.

As for Aasimar, they're usually portrayed with blond hair and blue eyes, but what else can you do? Maybe give them golden or silvery skin?

Ashtagon
2013-02-05, 11:53 AM
Maybe this?

http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/522/342/280/l_S4rtnew-negro-male-guardian-angel-figurine-w-child-black-ma.jpg

Or this?

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv179/whitebuffalowoman72/AngelIndianmaidenwithdeer.jpg

Or this?

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll61/ozcardjesus/Angels/IndianAngel.jpg

LibraryOgre
2013-02-05, 11:55 AM
Think about their ancestry. While some may have a variety of deva strains in their background, many are going to have the features of a specific strain of deva or angel. Maybe yours is descended from Hound Archon, giving him a slightly boxer-like cast to his features. Or he's bald and slightly blue, due to deva blood. I know that in Mulhourand, the local aasimar are supposed to share animal features, since many of them are descended from the Mulhourandi (Egyptian) pantheon.

Hylas
2013-02-05, 12:48 PM
Pathfinder went all out with Aasimars. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar) Check out the d% table at the bottom. Assuming the player can pick from the appearance table and chooses either 99 or 100 you can get some pretty weird combinations like flaming hair, cat ears, and feathered arms.

Hopefully that's distinctive looking enough for you. :smallwink:

tensai_oni
2013-02-05, 01:23 PM
Assuming the player can pick from the appearance table and chooses either 99 or 100 you can get some pretty weird combinations like flaming hair, cat ears, and feathered arms.

On the other hand, they are just as likely to have freakishly long arms, or just be bald and that's it. Doesn't exactly scream "angelic being" to me.

An Aasimar should have this air of perfection around himself. Very symmetrical, beautiful, built like a Reneissance statue, graceful in movement, etc. All of these are human traits, but for an Aasimar they should be exaggerated into something so perfect and idealized, it almost feels unnatural.

Synovia
2013-02-05, 03:38 PM
On the other hand, they are just as likely to have freakishly long arms, or just be bald and that's it. Doesn't exactly scream "angelic being" to me.

An Aasimar should have this air of perfection around himself. Very symmetrical, beautiful, built like a Reneissance statue, graceful in movement, etc. All of these are human traits, but for an Aasimar they should be exaggerated into something so perfect and idealized, it almost feels unnatural.

May I ask why? Aasimar aren't angels. They're people who have an ancestor who was an angel, a god, or other outsider.

If you look at greek mythology, the Minotaur would be an Aasimar.. he's a child of Zeus. Hercules was an Aasimar.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-05, 04:35 PM
Well, there's the outsider wings feat from Races of Faerun. Any celestial can take it to gain a pair of functioning feathered wings.

I gave one asimar character I played skin resembling a cross between alabaster and mother of pearl, with black hair and gold eyes. I suppose that might be alittle distinctive.

Starshade
2013-02-05, 04:47 PM
Personally, I've wondered how a Aasimar descended from a lantern archon would look like. :smallbiggrin:

The LOBster
2013-02-05, 05:16 PM
Personally, I've wondered how a Aasimar descended from a lantern archon would look like. :smallbiggrin:

Either glowy all over or their eyes would glow incredibly brightly :P

What I kind of meant when I started this thread is - what would you like to see as the "default" look for Aasimars, like how 3.5/PF Tiefs usually have skinny, rat-like tails, pale-greyish skin and small horns? I'd personally like to imagine a "Default" Aasimar would have pale golden or metallic pearl skin, almost like they're sculpted from marble or gold. Still, I want them to be more than just "shiny humans," but I don't want to give 'em actual wings.

erikun
2013-02-05, 05:25 PM
If it's mortal half is a Will-o-Wisp, probably about the same. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2013-02-05, 05:36 PM
I am making a portly one as a cleric archer. Not morbidly obese, but overweight certainly.

Lord_Gareth
2013-02-05, 05:38 PM
Marietta Blossom

"How kind of you to say, but truth be told the thorns make my hair hard to comb."

Marietta is a young woman with nature on the brain - and in her blood, and, well, everywhere. The descendant of an Ursinal, Marietta's celestial ancestry flowered in a most literal way when she apprenticed herself to a druid. There was a soft upwelling of light, and the human-looking Aasimar...changed. Now flowers (changing with the seasons and her environment) grow from her hair and a soft chorus of birdsong follows in her footsteps, and she shines, faintly, with a light from within that makes flowers turn to face her as though she were the sun. Though Marietta is not yet a master druidess, her teacher says she shows great promise, and as her power waxes, so too do the supernatural manifestations of her connection to Elysium.

Kailya of the Fire
"I'm perfectly aware of the St. Elmo's fire, thank you."

Kailya lives in a state of near perpetual annoyance. The daughter of a family of sorcerers, she was excited to learn that she had celestial heritage - right up until she found out how low on the Celestian totem pole her "grandfather", a Lantern Archon named Kulustriel, really was. Intellectual in a way her parents aren't, Kailya was sent to a school to learn wizardry, where her heritage, once discovered, was mocked. Jaded and cynical, Kailya is the 'bad girl' of the family, though her 'crimes' tend to be limited to rude behavior and brash actions. Still, her heart's in the right place. It's just that whenever she gets excited or irritated or even significantly existential, her bolt-blue hair lights up with Saint Elmo's Fire, which can spread to her whole body in a crackling halo when you really get her going.

Brianna Laughter
"You have got to hear this one!"

Brianna, as her surname suggests, loves to laugh, and loves to make other people laugh. As a painter, she creates comedic images and pranks. As an entertainer, she livens up taverns with some of the most off-color jokes. In the bedroom - well, let's say that people either sleep with Brianna just once, or they accept their place as one of her many very confused lovers. The descendant of one (or more - both sides of the family tree get around quite a bit) Eladrin, Brianna has silky blond hair that waves on her head like flame, kaleidoscopic eyes and the oddest tendency to look like she's in more than one place at the same time. Every now and again, her shadow turns into a bright swatch of light that moves independantly of her body, especially if she's using her bardic music, and all of her clothing, armor, and equipment seems to develop a musical motif if she uses or wears it for long enough. Brianna doesn't mind, though - it makes her feel unique.

Those good?

The LOBster
2013-02-05, 05:41 PM
@Lord_Gareth: Wow, it's almost amazing how Aasimars can so easily manifest Mary Sue traits while not being actual sues :D

Lord_Gareth
2013-02-05, 05:43 PM
@Lord_Gareth: Wow, it's almost amazing how Aasimars can so easily manifest Mary Sue traits while not being actual sues :D

Not sure if being complimented or insulted >.>

The LOBster
2013-02-05, 05:51 PM
Not sure if being complimented or insulted >.>

Neither. It was just a goofy observation I made.

EDIT: And now I think I'm sold on the metallic skin-glowing eyes look.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/013/0/d/tiefling_and_aasimar_by_chetosee-d4m99h0.jpg
Tiefling and Aasimar by chetosee (http://chetosee.deviantart.com/art/Tiefling-and-Aasimar-279248436)

Lord_Gareth
2013-02-05, 05:54 PM
To be more in-line with your clarifying post, I'd say that a lack of distinction should in and of itself be emblematic of both races. You can guess, sure, based on traits that are reminiscient of a particular Upper/Lower plane (a tiefling with rusty iron horns might be descended from a native of Acheron, whereas one with a seductive voice containing the faintest trace of an growling echo is the descendant of a Glabrezu) but in the end what makes each 'distinct' is being otherworldly in a Good/Evil fashion.

some guy
2013-02-05, 07:10 PM
To be more in-line with your clarifying post, I'd say that a lack of distinction should in and of itself be emblematic of both races. You can guess, sure, based on traits that are reminiscient of a particular Upper/Lower plane (a tiefling with rusty iron horns might be descended from a native of Acheron, whereas one with a seductive voice containing the faintest trace of an growling echo is the descendant of a Glabrezu) but in the end what makes each 'distinct' is being otherworldly in a Good/Evil fashion.

Yeah, I'm with Gareth. Every aasimar and tiefling would have a different appearance (well, in my game anyway).

If forced I would go, as you already have said, with metallic skin and strange eyes. Probably bald, though. Maybe try to evoke a sculpted look, they are not made by putting things together, but by having one large piece of matter and carving until an aasimar remains.

Acanous
2013-02-05, 08:29 PM
I remember wanting a Tiefling of mine to have pale GREEN skin, with darker green horns that looked corroded as by acid, and small, pebbly splotches on her skin.

the DM was like "No! You are a tiefling and they are Red!"

:/

Anderlith
2013-02-05, 08:35 PM
I think all Aasimars should look like this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ82uxwWvAVJ3zhW0qA7iOPmjbpIpI05 UfwXvFioL3xHI0r5VpLjA
(Castiel from Supernatural, granted he is an seraphim angel in the show, not an angelblooded human)

afroakuma
2013-02-05, 10:26 PM
I've got a few minutes, let's see here.

Celestials come from seven different planes; the traits of the seven should come through in one's bloodline. Here are some suggested traits by plane.

Arcadia
• Marble-smooth skin that is shiny and cool to the touch.
• Perfectly symmetrical features and hair; trivial alterations either mirror themselves or remove themselves over a short period of time.
• Beautiful, velvety ebon skin.
• Pearly-white sclera with jet-black irises.
• Hair or eyes that change from white to black to mark the time of day.
• Muscular, rock-hard forearms, calves, hands and feet.
• Aura of calm and peace/condescension and smugness.

Celestia
• Golden or silvery skin.
• Radiant, glowing hair.
• Vestigial ivory down around the ears and the nape of the neck.
• Brilliant, shining eyes and perfect, pearly teeth.
• Solid neck, narrow nose and strong, square chin.
• Nebula of soft, subtle light.
• Aura of awakening and alertness/startlement and discomfort.

Bytopia
• Golden or silvery irises that seem to permanently look toward the horizon.
• Unblinking eyes not bothered by weather or bright light.
• Sharper and more alert after exertion, instead of fatigued.
• No wrinkles, never sweats.
• Dragonlike scales running down the spine.
• Dusky or dark metallic skin that sparkles like powdered diamond.
• Aura of warmth and inclusion/fatigue and privation.

Elysium
• Covered in fine, silky fur.
• Surrounded in shimmering heat that is pleasantly warm/searingly uncomfortable.
• Halo of soft prismatic light.
• Reminds others of a familiar, comforting, household animal.
• Skin glows colors to reflect passionate emotions.
• Size and coloration shift subtly to match gravity of the situation: smaller, pale and rose-tinted when happy and peaceful; larger, darker and golden when angry or serious.
• Aura of gladness and ease/worry and guilt.

The Beastlands
• Pads on hands and feet and/or talons/claws.
• Big, dark mammalian eyes (dog, wolf, bear, bull).
• Frequently enveloped in a ray of sunlight breaking through the clouds/ray of moonlight peeking through canopy/starlight filtering through a small crack.
• Unique activity cycle (extreme morning person/late afternoons and the crack of dawn/totally nocturnal).
• Enlarged, furry ears, whiskers and a graceful, animal lope.
• Eyes glow, coloration changes with the cycle of the day (morning, dawn/dusk, night).
• Aura of life and instinct/encroachment and uncertainty.

Arborea
• Elfin eyes, subtle perfumed odor and slightly color-tinted skin.
• Often surrounded by a breeze or wind of spring, summer, fall or winter.
• Sharply angled ears (moreso than elves) and ripple-patterned, colored eyes.
• Trace swirls of minuscule prismatic butterfly scales.
• Clothing and hair self-mends, slow and unnoticed, and acquires subtle complexities.
• Striking looks or grace of movement causes heads to turn, artists to find inspiration.
• Aura of fascination and passion/confusion and distraction.

Ysgard
• Physically massive, yet graceful.
• Hands seem to meld into the haft of a weapon.
• Many superficial scars that seem to add charisma, not disfigure.
• Emotions are accompanied by sudden winds, change in temperature.
• Brassy or steel tint to skin and/or eyes.
• Clear, trumpetlike voice; less affected by cold or heat than most.
• Aura of exuberance and chance/folly and risk.

If you want to generate a random aasimar with the above, do 1d8 for plane (roll of 8 indicates dual ancestry, roll twice), then 1d8 for characteristic (roll of 8 indicates slightly stronger celestial features, roll twice). If you want a really exotic one, do 1d10 for one or both of the above and treat 9s and 10s as 8s. For the "aura" effects, the two listed effects are for good and neutral beings/evil beings respectively. None of the above have mechanical effects... but they could if you wanted to add them.