PDA

View Full Version : Test of the Heroic Spirit

Batpope Scott
2013-02-05, 02:07 PM
This is the start of a wonderful tale, friends. One steeped in mystery and glory, trials and challenges. The first step of any adventure is the most important.
Map (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BysKMWje8IS3TTNoNGNUV0UyVkE/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1)
The World of Rateyra
The world of Rateyra is inhabited by all forms of life; all striving for their own survival and prosperity. While the world is diverse, the most populous are humans with their quick expansion and ferocious ability to make the best of a situation letting them forge great kingdoms.

The middle kingdom is Rochnell; Land of the brilliant sky. The land is bordered by other kingdoms on all sides except the east, which is a border of sea, and is commonly referred to as the center of the world. Rochnell is ruled by a matriarchy who is currently headed by Queen Lysana IV. The capitol is city known more for the stark white tower of marble rising from it's center. The first settlers to this area found it as it is and built a town around it.

Rochnell is abundant with plains and fields, with some slight hills and a great forest on it's western border. The large mountains to the north are the main source of trade from the dwarfs living there and they serve as an excellent border between the mostly peaceful people and the savages of the northern wastes.

The northern wastes are inhabited by tribes of uncivilised peoples who often come south in on of two ways. The first is as solitary travellers banished from their homes and forced to escape to lands less harsh. The second is as bands of warriors raiding the dwarfish outposts at the mountains to plunder supplies from the prosperous dwarfs.

The Dwarfish people are naturally inclined to be lawful, and act as the impartial borderline after wars long past. The mountains are divided between the gnomes, dwarfs, and kobolds. The dwarfish settlements are placed in the center and do not allow either of the others to get at one another.

To the west is a kingdom of men depraved in nature; led by mages who experiment freely without care for the gods work or the well being of other intelligent beings. Their magics are the most advanced out of any and there is conjecture that the marble tower was crafted by one of their mages as well. The kingdom has no known name to the people of Rochnell but knowledge of mages from the country who travel a long distance to bypass the forest create a new fear in their hearts of mages that the local mages try their hardest to prove that the fear should only be of certain spellcasters and not all.

The border of the two kingdoms is lined with a great forest that contains an elven kingdom within. Travel through the forest is not permitted and an outsider has never stepped foot within the elven capitol. The elves allow trade but the merchants are stopped at the edge of the great forest and business is done there and no further.

The eastern sea has produced travellers from time to time. Claiming to be from a kingdom with a very different people. The envoys are typically very different from what we know and yet strikingly similar. Men claiming to be "Samurai" and "Shugenja" or "Wu Jen" come by the boatload, and a small settlement was even made on the coast. Before the creation of this settlement, rochnell had not discovered the secrets of shipmaking and the Queen of the age was very pleased by the increase in fish coming from the area. Relations with the settlement are fantastically friendly, but the people there will not say anything about their home kingdom.

The south leads to one of two areas, the Deadlands which are a vast desert where few things can survive. This area is inhabited by bands of humanoids collectively called Deadlands Raiders that know no loyalty and kill for fun.

Then there is the small jungle a bit closer to Rochnell. The Jungle is home to the elves that the humans of Rochnell feuded with for control of the region, and even through a nonviolence pact set in place by Queen Lysana the First the elves are still extremely violent to travelers that intrude on their forest home.

Character Sheets will be posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14656049#post14656049).

Batpope Scott
2013-02-12, 09:13 AM
You have all been gathered within a building older than your great grandfathers and stand in the office of a gruff older man who calls himself Thaius. He stands at around 5'9 and his hair is unkempt and his beard has been given time to grow and hangs past his neck. All of his hair is grey with a single blonde streak running down his beard. He is currently dressed in a breastplate and a common tunic and dusty brown trousers that are far from ornate. The office consists of a round table, a single chair opposite your side of the table and a chest in the back that is rimmed with gold plates.

I have gathered you all today as mercenaries. Sellswords. I will have you leave my services as heroes however. You have all been called together for a task that is beyond the ken of the citizens and beyond the ability of normal men. As you may know, Queen Lysana the First strived for maintaining peace between our neighboring countries and ourselves. This peace is shaking. It seems all over the realms that leaders are suddenly becoming hostile to those around them. The Kobolds are rising in arms against the dwarves, the orcs are gathering the other monstrous races together for a new crusade and the deadlands has been the source of many a bandit party of late that seem to all be joining together. I want you all to stop this from going the way I think it will.

He stands from his chair and walks around the table to stand directly in front of you all.

Some of you may know each other. Those that don't, learn to get along as it suits you. I'm sure you've heard of each other. It's not very often that I can collect so many that know the workings of magic.
Thaius lights a pipe and sits on the table with a contented sigh.
Your first task if you choose to listen, will be to investigate and possibly stop the deadlands raiders that have collected in the east. They're building ships now, which in itself is suspicious as they come from a desert with no watermass large enough to support that trade. We think that they are receiving help from an unknown that could be planning to fuel their violence.

Any questions?

All of you know the Deadlands Raiders tendency to think with a sword before anything else and how disconcerting it would be if they formed an actual army. The Raiders are hardy warriors and the sight of one charging is enough to unsettle a dwarf.

Ri'anthal, Gilyryth, Kyleran Only
The mention of Deadlands Raiders forming an army provokes knowledge of history that some have forgotten but is part of the very forming of Rochnell kingdom. After the Jungle Elves were almost defeated by the Rochnell warriors and dwarfish legions at Marble Tower, the Deadlands Raiders had marched in and taken the prize from the victors who were too weak to fight the new threat. It took fifty years of war and two years of siege by Gnome, dwarf and man to unseat the Deadlands Raiders who now may have a grudge against the ones who took what was 'rightfully theirs'.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-12, 10:29 AM
Long is the memory of the elfkin, and even longer among those of us who sit in song and live in legend. The Raiders of the Southern Wastes have long troubled the civilized people, both good and evil alike. To hear that they may now have the keel with which to make mischief is news most troublesome. With string ready across bowlback and bowlimb do I hearken to these tidings.

Looking around the room at his compatriots, Gilyryth briefly ponders the quest laid before them. An itinerant by choice and by trade, he has only recently come to this part of the country.

Good fellows, I would briefly ask your leave before we depart so that I might sift the local waters for gravel that we might use in our journey. Tell me, good Thaius, if you will, is there some archive or bard ambit whence I might glean from the local harvests of knowledge a grain or two of truth?

Batpope Scott
2013-02-12, 11:09 AM
Our lore-keepers in the guild are knowledgeable in many subjects. I have some knowledge of history myself. May I ask as to what knowledge you wish to have so I can give a proper direction?

XianTheCoder
2013-02-12, 01:12 PM
Ri sits in silence as Thaius gives the collected gathering the mission. When Gil speaks of the Deadland Raiders, Ri will nod in agreement. After Gil has completed his questions and received his answers Ri will step in, What is our explicit degree of authority? Should we meet with resistence or trouble are we to make it known we are working for the Queen or are we purely mercenaries with a mission?

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-12, 01:30 PM
I know not what I seek, beyond more tales of the Raiders and of the East. It is also my wish to speak to a few of the lorekeepers themselves and ask of them their opinions in these matters, for some long forgotten deed or name might bubble up from the wells of knowledge and prove useful later. Such barm has helped to slay dragons, or so it is said in song.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-12, 03:15 PM
Paul, the large grey-skinned goliath speaks in a deep rumbling voice. Has anyone been in the dead lands? If so they should share their knowledge of the place, it could mean life or death! Turning to Gilyryth he asks Why do you need to slay dragons with barms(a word he clearly doesn't know)? We must spend our time investigating raiders, not barming drangons.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-12, 03:30 PM
Ah, my dear friend of a concrete countenance, I simply meant that a small piece of information can prove useful in a dire moment.

As for barm, know simply that it is the foam that rises to the top of a barrel of ale, mead, or wine. Speaking of such things, I hope that we can all meet later at the dinner hour at my bivouac...

He stops, looking up at his stony companion.

Pardon me, at my camp at the edge of the city, for a fine supper and a bit of drink, to commemorate our new friendship.

When all have asked their questions, Gilyryth will take leave of his companions, so that he may gather some information and have his valet prepare for the feast, should anyone accept.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-12, 04:01 PM
He adresses Ri'anthal You are acting under my orders. Never will you say that Queen Lysana had any interaction with this operation and thusly will have no legal right to make actions or speak on behalf of the kingdom. Though we have the Queens consent to operate, she merely makes 'suggestions' while donating to our service.

Thaius then says to Gilyryth I would suggest trying the royal library. Mention my name and they'll let you in.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-12, 07:36 PM
Ri'Anthal nods at Thaius, Understood, is the simple response that he gives, before letting the Goliath speak.

Not sure if Ri would have traveled to the dead lands, but he will be more than happy to respond to Paul's inquiry with whatever information he has on the place. Of course knowledge Geography is the one knowledge he doesn't have, but he will relay anythign he can surmise from History and Nobility.

History: [roll0]
Nobility: [roll1]

After offering up any information he has on the Dead Lands, Ri will ask his next question of Thaius, While becoming heros is appealing, it's also expensive, so can I ask what the compensation will be for this task?

Batpope Scott
2013-02-12, 09:30 PM
Thaius grins at the question

You'll be paid handsomely for your services. Five thousand when you return from this mission and I pay more for excellence.

Knowledge Results
The Deadlands is a desert where only the toughest creatures survive. History shows that magic has no effect on the plants of the desert, and any attempts to grow things is met with harsh weather and resistance from the very earth. Rumours have long spread about the lands being cursed, but the fact of the matter is that no one can say for sure why the land is the way it is. The people that live there are bred survivors, and those that can't care for themselves are taken care of by the wastes.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-12, 10:11 PM
Ri nods again at Thaius, Is there a deadline for this task?

Batpope Scott
2013-02-12, 10:29 PM
Not really. I want them stopped as soon as possible but do so at your own pace. This time anyway.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-13, 06:48 AM
Shall we set off?

XianTheCoder
2013-02-13, 08:15 AM
((You can assume the Ri relates the entirety of the information found in the knowledge related spoiler above))

Before we set off I think it is relevent to inquire what modes of travel are available to each of you, and allow for people to make preperations needed for our destination and task. I usually travel on horseback, as I find it to be the most efficient method. If we will be traveling into the desert to stop raiders, I may want to purchase a few items before we depart, I will need no more than a few hours. Perhaps we should take the afternoon to conduct our business, and then plan to meet for a hearty dinner where we can discuss our skillsets and backgrounds. We can then retire early to bed and start the travels at dawn? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Batpope Scott
2013-02-13, 05:12 PM
We have provisions and mounts here for the occasion. They are not battle trained, so if you want something of that sort I suggest you purchase your own from the general store just a short walk up the road from here. The dwarf there is likely going to have anything you need aside from weapons and armor which is sold here in the guildhouse.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-13, 05:24 PM
I have no need for food or drink! Paul proclaims. I would be fine with riding a horse however.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-13, 06:28 PM
I have my own trusted steed for travel, but I wouldn't mind a pack animal to carry extra supplies. Thaius, do you have any information on any of the Raider organizations or cells that we should know about? It would be much faster if we knew who was suspected as being the mastermind or what areas and groups were most likely involved. Riding directionless into the Deadlands hoping to stumble upon the raiders probably isn't the best of potential plans.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-13, 06:46 PM
I have a carriage of my own, drawn by two horses of heavy breed. You may add your supplies to my own.

Bardic Knowledge about the Raiders [roll0]
When we leave here, I would like to Gather Information, see if there are any rumors going around the more 'adventurous' part of town about these raiders and the boats. Gather Info [roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-02-14, 06:14 AM
As was suggested, the general store up the road sells just about anything an adventurer would need should you have want of it.

Essentially anything within the players handbook that isn't weapons or armor, and if you ask if he has something not within the players handbook, i'll check his stocks.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-15, 08:47 AM
Before leaving for the store Ri'Anthal will take a look at the mounts and provisions available at the guildhouse. Specifically he looks for a pack animal (horse or mule) and saddlepacks/bags, and rations. Once he finds one to his liking he will tell the stable workers/handlers what he will be using and instruct them to have it ready by the departure time. He then hands them each a silver coin and thanks them for their assistence ((let me know how many silver I spend)).

Ri'Anthal then proceeds to the general store, where he will browse for various items that he may find interesting. When he walks in he will nod and smile to the clerk and make his way aisle to aisle. The things Ri'Anthal looks for are:
-Rations (if they were not provided by the guildhouse)
-Feed (if they were not provided by the guildhouse)
-2 Extra Waterskins
-100ft Rope

Once he has what he needs he will pay for it and depart.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-15, 09:35 AM
After finishing a few errands Gilyryth discusses acquisition of a few supplies with the shopkeeper. This includes:

-Several pieces of fine cheese, quality meat, and some basic cooking provisions
-A barrel of quality ale

Looking for his companions, he reminds them of the invitation to dinner.

I have told my valet to prepare a fine meal for us. I hope you will not let your portions go to waste. Beginning our journey after an early dinner will set us in the proper mood.

Shopkeep, I would like my supplies delivered within the hour, if possible.

He pays the shopkeep in gold and silver, adding a few coins. He leans in and whispers:

For your services...and your silence.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-15, 09:43 AM
You can expect to see me there, I appreciate the invitation. It will be good way to start our journey.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-15, 10:21 AM
A Sturdy horse is supplied along with a months worth of feed. Rations are not given freely at the guild house however. The horse and feed run you a total of ten silver for the guild to acquire a new one, and for your tip.

The shopkeep gleefully begins to prepare what you asked for and the dwarfs beard wags as he hustles around.

In response to your whispered statement he winks at you to let you know he understands.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-15, 01:28 PM
After departing from the Store Ri will make his way to a mapmaker, where he will look for charts and maps of the Deadlands. Specifically, he would prefer maps that highlight geographical features as well as just roads and cities as he expects that some raiding parties will be located in areas outside of standard civilizations.

Once he has done his best to procure maps and charts, Ri'Anthal will begin looking in the local library or bookstores for books and articles on the Deadlands.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-15, 05:39 PM
Paul follows the others to the store but doesn't buy anything. He doesn't want to appear desperate for supplies, of course when he eventually needs supplies it will be awkward asking the others for them when he went into the store with them.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-15, 06:42 PM
There are no maps of the Deadlands here, but the mapmakers do say that a large mountain range cuts the area in half going from northwest to southeast. Or so the travellers that come back from that area say.

The local library contains very few books on the subject but the ones that are there all confirm that the Deadlands are an unforgiving desert that even druids can't get to grow plants.

Xian
By the way, is this an attempt to know thine enemy? Because they're in Rochnell, not the Deadlands.

Dunkoro
2013-02-16, 06:39 AM
They all went shopping... What a great example of wasting time and money... We're all experienced adventurers dammit and shouldn't have a need for all that fancy items...

After that inner monologue of hers Mirian turned to her supposed team members:

Can we go already? I guess you've all got what you need, right?

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-16, 07:07 AM
Paul turns the Mirian. Look, I know you might not like shopping. I understand, I don't either. I don't whine about it though.

Dunkoro
2013-02-16, 12:38 PM
I'm not whining about them shopping as much as I'm complaining they didn't take their time to prepare earlier...

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-16, 04:10 PM
Well I still don't see a need to comment. I didn't comment on it.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-16, 04:39 PM
How does one make preparations for a journey before one knows about it? I knew not that I would be having guests for dinner; I prefer to maintain a well-stocked pantry, after all.

Dunkoro
2013-02-16, 04:41 PM
Okay, I'm really sorry if I offended any of you, but I tend to get impatient pretty quickly...

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-17, 04:03 AM
Ah, then, ours shall be an interesting company, for it is the duty of a bard, even one as serious as I, to avoid haste; it often spoils verse and can disrupt deep thought like a stone cast carelessly into a still pool.

Gilyryth goes back to his vardo and ensures that the dinner is prepared. He washes his face and hands, changes into more travel-appropriate attire. He also retrieves of bottle of his family's special mead to share with his new companions.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-17, 07:32 AM
Thank you for giving us food. Paul hasn't had a formal dinner for several years and having one now brought back some memories.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-17, 04:40 PM
Once you are all done, you can meet out at Gilyryth's campsite out the south gate of the city. It will be two days journey to the fort that the Raiders have built.

Ri'Anthal
The maps of the area suggest that the fort is built in the middle of a wide plain with sparse trees. The only major landmark nearby is Liam's Hill which is a good five minute walk away.

In response to your question, Thaius tells you that the leader is not known but he suspects the mages of the east have something to do with this.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-17, 09:17 PM
Ri'Anthal arrives at the dinner later than the others after haven taken the afternoon to perform recon for their mission. I apologize for my delay, I have been looking over some maps and books. Very little on the Deadlands, although I found some on the Raiders fort to the east.. Ri turns to Gil, Thank you for preparing dinner.. To everyone, So how did everyone fare preparing their supplies? I was able to acquire the goods I was needing.. Ri will begin helping with any cooking or table prepping tasks that still need to be done, For those not aware, I'm a scholar and experimental academic. I spent many years learning the various ways of the world, in those travels I acquired certain arcane skills. What skills of note do each of you process?

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-17, 09:45 PM
I am skilled at knocking people over. I have a massive chain that helps me.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-17, 10:08 PM
I can see how that can be a useful skill. What do you do to stop them from standing back up?

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-17, 10:21 PM
Paul grins widely. I knock them over again.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-17, 10:48 PM
Ri'Anthal nods at Paul, I see. I suppose that means my Grease spell is unnecessary.May I ask, if we meet with a combative altercation what would be one thing that you would desire to have or be better at?

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-17, 11:16 PM
Paul thinks for a moment. It would be nice have a ranged attack I guess.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-17, 11:50 PM
Paul thinks for a moment. It would be nice have a ranged attack I guess.

I suppose it's good that I'm competent with a bow then.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-18, 12:09 AM
Very good indeed.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-18, 01:33 AM
I, too, am a man of letters, though my knowledge is often found in rhyme. Magic is also my craft, though I am no wizard. Some would call me a bard, though that is only a half-truth. I have a gift of vision and insight, with some skill in diplomacy and divination. I'm especially handy with items imbued with magic.

Listening to your conversation concerning combat, Gilyryth contributes thusly:

I have skill with the bow as well. I am also able to give my poetry a power of sorts, lending aid to allies who can hear it. If necessary, I am also to serve as medic and healer in the battlefield.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-18, 02:29 PM
A person of multiple talents is always an asset, and while its often looked on with suspicion magic is a boon that can change the course of a mission. What is the strongest benefit that your poetry can bestow upon our party?

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-18, 09:20 PM
Paul is incredibly dubious of Gilyryth's magic poems. He doesn't comment on it however.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-18, 11:49 PM
During the conversation and meal Ri'Anthal will attempt to discretely cast Detect Magic to see what radiates on his companions.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-19, 04:58 AM
My skill with song is probably best used to bring a wellspring of courage bubbling up within the hearts of my allies, though that is not the only skill I have. Unlike most of my bardkin, I am also able to weave spell and password into my verse, so that I may heal a weary warrior without disrupting my bard song.

The eyes of Gilyryth are sharp; his wizard friend's action suddenly intrigue him.
Spot [roll0]
If that succeeds, he would like to try recognize what spell is being cast. Spellcraft [roll1]

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-19, 08:14 AM
Paul is glad that Gilyryth knows healing, he thinks he will wind up getting healed a lot. He doesn't want to bring up the subject though, if he proclaims that he will need to be healed a lot he will seem like a liability.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-19, 04:19 PM
Gilyryth
Your knowledge of the raiders is mostly their interactions with the people in this country for most, if not all, of the explorers that enter the deadlands never return from the voyage. The raiders themselves are extremely violent and cunning; showcased by their ability to survive in a land where even the smallest of creatures is a grave threat. Swordsmasters of rochnell have long held respect for the raiders that gave from the south, as the art of war is near instinct for the hardy people by now.

500 years before the founding of the current human settlement of the marble tower, Deadlands Raiders had fortified and secured the area with a force of five hundred, which gained reinforcements later on. It took the combined forces of dwarf, gnome and man at the time to unlodge them and even then took two and a half years of siege.

You notice the spellcasting, and you know what the spell is. Your message is received by the wizard notably.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-19, 04:31 PM
After looking around with his Detect Magic enabled, Ri will settle his gaze on Gil and put on an amused, but non-condenscending smile. So Gilyryth, may we call you Gil? If someone were to put on a pair of those gnomish spectacles in order to see your mandolin performance better, would you take offense to it? Would you feel that the person's use of a tool in order to gauge your abilities better was in some way an attack upon you or an insult to your craft? Would you feel as though you were cheated against in a secretive manner? Ri'Anthal will stare for just a moment before making a slightly shrugging motion, Throretically of course. Confident that his kin is smart enough to understand the point that he's making Ri'Anthal won't actually expect an answer that requires a witty response.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-19, 05:20 PM
Sharing what he knows of the Raiders, Gilyryth answers Ri.

All are welcome to examine my magesong as they please. Call me Gil if you must, though I will always prefer my full name.

Now, let us drink a final toast with my family's well-crafted mead and be off, if there are no further questions. Paul, I'm especially interested in your opinion of it, as I know your people have a special appetite for mountain flora. It is a mead from honey of stonecrop flowers and is aged in juniper barrels, giving it a doubly floral resination.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-19, 09:01 PM
This tastes pretty good. Since I grew up with humans so I actually don't have much expertise with mountain mead. Still, this seems like good stuff! Paul enjoys the food and drink, he also displays more manners than one would expect of a goliath.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-19, 09:29 PM
Ri will raise his glass and toast with the others. I am ready to depart whenever everyone is ready.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-20, 11:07 AM
If every member is ready, the journey can begin. The bandit fort is three to four days away with straight travel, and up to two weeks of travel if you attempt to avoid the areas that are infested with hostile creatures.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-20, 11:57 AM
I think that we should go directly, we can take a few hostile creatures.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-20, 12:56 PM
I find the prospects of facing hostile creatures to be acceptable. It will allow us to gauge each others abilities and become more accustomed to one another. If the encounters result in the expenditure of resources beyond that apparent benefits of the decision, then we can always turn around and take the longer route.

Dunkoro
2013-02-20, 01:35 PM
Yes, I suppose we should take the shorter route, even though we might encouncer some obstacles on our way, it still should be the better one.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-20, 01:53 PM
The shorter path will take you through a small swamp area that is referred to as Erol's Bog, after the priest who came to an unfortunate end trying to clear it of monsters when it was first discovered. After a single day's travel you stand at the edge of the wooded area and can look on into the darkness that manifests itself within. The stench of foul water invades your senses and the world would be silent but for the small crickets and croaking of toads. To go around would cost two days travel, and on the other side is the plains where a tribe of lizardfolk have set up their home.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-24, 12:15 PM
Ri collects any items he prefers not to get wet and places them in his Haversack. The remaining items he places into his saddle bags. Before entering the bog he makes sure he's loaded with fresh water and anything he may need is in an accessible place on his horse or in his saddlebags.

Lets not forget Erol died trying to clear this bog of monsters. Everyone keep your eyes on the shadows.. Ri ties a cloth around his mouth in an attempt to shield his nose from the stench from the bog.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-24, 01:51 PM
Paul wades through the bog, his long legs keep the upper part of his body fairly dry. He doesn't like the mud or the smell of the bog but he tries not to show it. He keeps his spiked chain out incase there is an attack.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-24, 04:32 PM
Gilyryth has his preferred riding horse, Equinox, a blue roan Clydesdale, prepared for the journey while he quickly checks his haversack. After adding a few things and changing into simpler attire, he secures his hempen rope to the saddle and wishes his valet Cillian farewell, instructs him to return to the city, and says that he will return in due time.

Paul, if you wish, Equinox would be able to bear you on our journey through this moor. If you will not ride, then at least grab hold of this rope so that we do not lose you in the quagmire.

Taking out a linen handkerchief, he applies a light dabble of perfume to it and holds it to his face as he directs his mount into the bog.

Ri'anthal, my cousin, would you like a bit of this for your kerchief? Or perhaps a bit of sweet-smelling soap, which would also help shield your nose from the rancidness of this place?

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-24, 05:03 PM
All right, I guess I could ride. Paul gets on the horse.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-24, 06:49 PM
Would you care for a nosegay to ward off the foul bog odor, Paul? I have another handkerchief and more perfume; I'm happy to share.

As they follow behind Ri'anthal, Gilyryth wonders aloud...

Does anyone have any experience traveling in similar conditions? Surely any knowledge of bog terrain would be helpful.

Knowledge (Geography) [roll0]
Survival [roll1]

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-24, 08:16 PM
I don't need no perfume! I'm fine.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-24, 10:24 PM
Ri will extend his kerchief to Gil, I would greatly appreciate that.

As they trudge through the bog Ri'Anthal will keep his bow in his hand resting it across his horse's back. I have not spent much time in bogs, I've found few reasons to enter them.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-24, 11:25 PM
Taking the kerchief, Gilyryth unfolds it across his hand. He then removes a bar of green soap with pink flecks from one of the minor compartments of his haversack. He gently rubs the bar across the fabric.

I believe you will find this pleasant yet mild. It is made from goat's milk and is scented with the resin of dried agarwood. The pink flecks are powdered clay from a riverbed that has large mats of sweet-smelling red algae; the women of my mother's family have learned how to clean and dry it for use as a dye in clothes and as an incense for baths and such. My sister crafted this bar for me; I hope you enjoy it.

As he goes to return it to the haversack, Gilyryth offers it to Paul, on the off chance he has changed his mind.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-24, 11:53 PM
Ri thanks Gil and gently sniffs the aroma before tying the kerchief around his nose and mouth.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-25, 06:43 AM
Paul accepts the offering. Since the whole group is doing it it can't be that bad, right? That you.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-25, 02:57 PM
The perfume helps greatly with the smell of the bog, but even that cannot entirely rid you of noticing the stink.

Gilyryth and Ri'anthal
You notice that the noises of the swamp have died down. Except for yourselves, no other creature dares to make a sound.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-25, 03:07 PM
Ri'Anthal will look around with a weary eye as he recalls the story of Erol and and considers what he knows of the denizens of the bogs and swamps. After a few minutes of thought he brings his mount in next to Gil's. Speaking low and soft, Ri discusses his concerns, Either creatures don't make their way into these parts, or they don't want to be noticed. I worry this path may bring us to Erol's demise.

Use what you need...

Spot: [roll0]
Knowledge History: [roll1]
Knowlege Monsters: [roll2]
Knowlege Nature: [roll3]

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-25, 03:35 PM
Pondering his companion's hesitancy for a moment, Gilyryth decides thusly and whispers in reply.

Erol's folly was that he wished to fight the creatures and expel them. Ours is simply a journey across their home, not against it. Unless you feel strongly on the matter, or the others have objections, I vote to continue the journey through.

Glancing around, Gilyryth searches their swampy enclosure for any signs of danger.

Spot [roll]1d20+3

I would be happy to recite a tale in hopes of enchanting any listening ears toward our favor.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-25, 06:52 PM
Mirian, why don't you hop on the other horse? We'd hate for your vestments to become ruined by bog filth.

Loosening his rope from the saddle, Gilyryth passes it among them all so that it might be tied to each of them and the horses. He also gives Mirian a nosegay made from a spare kerchief and the soap.

I hope this proves strong enough. I imagine this odor will only increase as we head for the mid point of this hellish moor. Still, it need not be entirely dreadful. I'll weave us a gentle bit of verse.

Reflecting for a moment, Gilyryth recalls an appropriate poem for the occasion.
Perform (Oratory) [roll0] this isn't strictly necessary but I like rolling...
I'd like to Inspire Courage among my allies.

Across the marshes the travelers sojourn, their path unsteady with backtrack and turn. The ghostly candles of the wisps did tempt and gile, dead faces scorning in a ghastly style. Their burden was great, the leader, marred by hate, at last they passed the final grave milestone, passing into lands hardly known, newly arrived at the shadowy gate.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-25, 08:11 PM
Good poem you got their. I hope we aren't tempted by ghastly whisps on our journey though. I've never fought a ghastly whisp, never fought anything ghastly in fact. And I have no intention of starting in this bog.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-25, 09:36 PM
Paul's prediction of wisps may come to naught but, sitting on a rock to the front of you is a smaller humanoid with insect-like wings. Her short green hair and dark complexion do very little to conceal her inhuman appearance and she smiles at you all from the fifteen yards away she happens to be. Distance may betray you, but she seems to be a little over three feet tall.

Ri'anthal
Your knowledge of events that passed tell you that Erol did in fact have a critical folly of his own, but that folly was more that he underestimated the cruelty of the locals here. Your memory does not serve to tell you what it was that ended the man, however.

The bog is home to many dangerous animals of the like of snakes or crocodiles as well as a number of fey and even rumours of ogre-kin within the bog.

-What on earth is knowledge monsters?-

XianTheCoder
2013-02-25, 10:33 PM
What kind of Cha are we talking about? Beautiful or ugly creature? Is it wearing any gear or clothes?

Ri will come to a halt as soon as the creature is seen, he will smile at the creature and attempt to look unthreatening. Do you understand Common? If there is no response Ri will repeat in each language he knows.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-26, 06:51 AM
Paul gestures towards the creature and turns towards the group. What is that thing?

Batpope Scott
2013-02-26, 01:42 PM
The little humanoid is wearing a leaf patterned cloth tunic and would be considered a rather cute woman even though she is covered in dirt and grime from the bog.

I can speak the human's language! Might you come closer so that we can speak?

Gilyryth
Your bardic lore tells you that there once was a fae with similar description that went by the name Milova in this bog. She is briefly mentioned in the surviving tales as the one who helped Erol escape another fae before he died later.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-26, 01:56 PM
Ri will stay where he is, Ahh excellent fair miss, I am happy we are able to communicate so easily. Though I am afraid we are already behind schedule and need to continue on our passage through your lands with haste. We would be happy to talk with you if you chose to escourt us along the fastest route through your lands. Let us hope that if this is a trick by some territorial creatures they see no harm in our passage. Ri will continually attempt to look unthreatening, but internally he is weary of the creature, any creature willing to show themself when all others have gone quiet is likely more tricky or powerful than it appears on the surface, and on the surface this creature looks weak.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-26, 02:16 PM
Uncertain if she is friend or foe, Gilyryth tries to discern her trustworthiness and establish a friendly tone.

Sense Motive regarding trustworthiness [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Pulling his horse a little closer, and steeled by Paul's presence.

Faerie creature, beautiful as you are, I have heard tales of both mischief and mirth regarding your cousins in this swamp. Tell us, please, will you help us cross this bog and be a friend to outsiders like Milova of legend? We wish to see the lands beyond.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-26, 02:22 PM
You cannot discern any trickery from her at this time. In fact, she just seems curious about you.

I'm beautiful? I will have to be careful. Dearest mother always did warn me of flatterers. She lets out a giggle. May I ask what you would be going through my home for? Possibly even what your destination happens to be?

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-26, 02:34 PM
M'Lady, we are no flatterers; we want only to be seen as friends, not intruders. We travel to face the ruffian shipwrights who would trouble our friends and neighbors.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-26, 02:36 PM
Ri'Anthal will stay silent and allow Gil to carry the conversation, as he clearly exhibited a greater knowledge of her kind than Ri, and is naturally more flattering with his words.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-26, 03:02 PM
Paul watches the conversation with interest. He avoids saying anything, he doesn't want to give her the wrong impression. He hopes that she won't follow them, having someone in the group who can't contribute and needs protection wouldn't help anything.

Dunkoro
2013-02-26, 03:03 PM
Mirian decided that in dealings with feys she's not the one to carry the conversation, and thus she decides to remain silent and see how the situation will develop.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-26, 03:46 PM
"Oh, woe to the traveler who underestimates the fair folk", or so they would say. I bid you no harm today. If you would have me, I will guide you away from the harshest places. In return for this... She points her finger in your direction. You must bring me along until I think you all to be boring.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-26, 04:13 PM
Ri'Anthal is relieved by the easy nature of the tiny creature, but still not convinced there is not a greater ploy here. He will keep his gaze focused on their surroundings while Gil continues with the creature.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-26, 04:28 PM
That sounds like a most pleasant exchange. Please let us know how best to stave off your boredom! You will make a fine addition to our company.

Looking at Ri'anthal and Mirian, Gilyryth playfully asks:

I know you both would love to bear our prestigious guest, but only one can at a time. Who shall be first? M'Lady, would you care for a bit of music as we ride? Ask of us what you will; we have little to hide, lest we seem ungrateful.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-26, 05:44 PM
You don't have to be so courteous with me. I'm the one getting the better deal out of this! If you do sing, make sure you're quiet. I can't follow you if you never leave the bog. She smiles and begins to fly. Please do keep up, the bog likes confuse large trains of people.

She stops for a moment before looking back to you. Oh, you mentioned Milova? I just remembered that my mother went by that name when dealing with those like yourselves. On the note of names, you can call me Amira. She nods to herself as if affirming she'd covered everything and begins to lead you all through the swamp.

The tricks and turns that she takes tell you that most of the dangerous areas lie in a cluster around the center of the bog, though outliers have placed themselves at random elsewhere.

You all get the feeling that you are being watched, though when looking around you can't seem to see much of anything.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-26, 10:39 PM
Ri will leave Amira to the others while he maintains his focus on their surroundings.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-27, 07:21 AM
Paul tries to ignore Amira. If he doesn't pay attention to the creepy-fey-girl then maybe the creepy-fey-girl won't pay attention to him.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-27, 05:09 PM
As they ride along, Gilyryth seems half lost in thought, mindlessly adjusting his cuffs and his cravat. Paul can probably occasionally him humming softly at times, often repeating the same bits of a song with minor changes.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-27, 05:37 PM
After about twenty minutes or so, as your guess would be, your fey guide suddenly stops and hovers in place.

Trouble.

She flies backwards and comes over to Gilyryth

Ogre and friends. They know you're here.

After she warns you of what's coming, she disappears in front of your eyes and the rustling of leaves and the crash of footfall tell you that you have but seconds to prepare for a fight.

XianTheCoder
2013-02-27, 05:43 PM
Ri immediately reaches over and touches Paul's shoulder, May you have greater strength for this fight. He then casts Bull Strength on Paul. With any remaining time Ri casts Mage Armor on himself.

GnomeGninjas
2013-02-27, 06:49 PM
Paul murmurs a thank you as his muscles bulge from the effects of the spell. Then he dismounts and stands at the front of the group, his massive spiked chain at the ready.

KinnetDynamon
2013-02-27, 07:46 PM
Gilyryth pulls the horse beside Paul and announces in Giant,"Master Ogre, please let us not fight! We mean you no harm and intend no trespass. We should be friends, not foes."

Diplomacy [roll0]
Action point to add to the roll [roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-03-01, 02:16 AM
The ogres give no reply before bursting out of the nearby trees.Dressed in barbarous leather tatters, their dull green skin exposed in many places. Eyes with nothing but white stare out at you as the three of them ready their weapons.

(I still need initiative out of all of you.)

Dunkoro
2013-03-01, 02:17 AM
(I'm really sorry for not participating in the game for some time, was really busy lately.)

Initiative:
[roll0]

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-01, 02:32 AM
Upon seeing the raging ogre, Gilyryth steels himself for an onslaught.

[roll0]

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-01, 06:49 AM
Paul prepares to be rushed by ogres.
[roll0]

XianTheCoder
2013-03-01, 08:33 AM
Upon seeing the raging Ogre, Ri will begin casting a Lightning Bolt

Initiative: [roll0]

Bat: I assume I get the Bull Strength cast on Paul before combat starts, but does Ri get the Mage Armor cast on himself as well? If not, he will forgo the Mage Armor and cast the Lightning Bolt instead.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-01, 01:20 PM
The initiative is as follows

Paul
Ri'anthal
Mirian
Ogre 1
Ogre 2
Gilyryth
Ogre 3

You did have enough time for mage armor.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-01, 05:34 PM
Sighing in shame at the failure of diplomacy, Gilyryth removes a vial from his pouch and imbibes it.

May our victory be swift!

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-01, 05:41 PM
Paul walks forward until he is 20 feet away from the ogre(I'm not sure how close he is). Then he flings his chain forward and wraps it around the ogres legs before quickly pulling the chain back in an attempt to knock the ogre over.

Trip Attempt
Melee Touch:[roll0]
Strength Check: [roll1]

Melee attack if I succeed: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Strength Check to avoid being tripped if I fail: [roll4]

Dunkoro
2013-03-01, 05:44 PM
Mirian is going to cast Spiritual Weapon and direct it to attack nearest ogre.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-01, 07:18 PM
Gilyryth will dismount and draw his bow. Ride [roll0] to dismount as a free action. If successful, I will withdraw 20 ft., keeping the ogres in my sight, while drawing my longbow.

If I do not dismount quickly, I will end my turn here having made 2 move actions. If successful, I will fire my bow [roll1], damage.[roll2]

Gil's Current AC 19 (potion of shield of faith +2)

XianTheCoder
2013-03-01, 08:14 PM
Ri will move to a location where he can blast the most number of creatures in a single shot, and cast Lightning Bolt. If there are multiple potential targets, Ri will pick the option with the toughest monster.

AC is 18 with Mage Armor

Damage: [roll0] (Reflex for half)

Batpope Scott
2013-03-02, 12:03 AM
Action in Erol's Bog!

Paul attempts to trip the lead ogre, who was thirty feet away when the fight was initiated, and succeeds in his attempt. The ogre falls on his back with a loud crash. The following attack strikes the ogre, but seems to have been lessened in effect from it's thick skin.

Ri'anthal dashes off to the right side and launches a lightning bolt that hits both the lead ogre and the one to the left. Both seem to have failed to dodge.

Mirian summons a spiritual longsword and commands it to strike the nearest ogre! The ogre is struck by the blow.

Since you didn't give me an attack and damage roll, I took the liberty of rolling them for you, at a to-hit of 20 and damage of 7.

The lead ogre attempts to stand again, provoking a retaliatory strike from Paul.

The ogre that got hit by the lightning bolt earlier that isn't the leader charges at Paul and swings his club, which connects and knocks the wind out of him.

There is no in-game effect for having the wind knocked out of you here, and the damage is 11 bludgeoning.

Amidst the hustle, Gilyryth stumbles out of his saddle and prepares to ready his bow.

The last ogre charges into Ri'anthal with a mighty swing but, unfortunately for the ogre, he misses and connects with a tree instead.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-02, 12:17 AM
Concerned for his safety, Ri takes a 5 ft step away from the ogre and prepares another lightning bolt. If Ri can not cast lightning bolt without hitting his companions then he will cast Alter Self and turn into a Troglodyte (giving him a +6 to his natural armor).

Damage: [roll0]

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-02, 12:32 AM
Gilyryth will fire his longbow at the closer of the two ogres fighting Paul.

I will spend an action point to make an extra attack. I'm not sure of the modifier math so I am going to make basic rolls and include potential modifiers.
Attack 1 [roll0]
Attack 2 [roll1]

+5 (BAB plus Dex plus magic enhancement), -4 for firing into melee, +2 for flanking

If for some reason those actions prove impossible, I will attempt to withdraw to the rear of the combat line along with Equinox and begin Inspiring Courage with a fighting poem.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-02, 03:36 AM
Forgot potential damage rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-02, 06:59 AM
I have combat reflexes so I can AoO both of the ogres, my AoOs will be trip attempts.
Touch on Standing-Up-Ogre: [roll0]
Strength Check on Standing-Up-Ogre [roll1]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll2]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll3]
Damage if I hit: [roll4]

Touch on Charging Ogre: [roll5]
Strength Check on Charging Ogre [roll6]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll7]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll8]
Damage if I hit: [roll9]

Paul grimaces in pain and tries trip the closest ogre.
Touch: [roll10]
Strength Check[roll11]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll12]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll13]
Damage if I hit: [roll14]

I might need to make more AoOs, if so they will be trip attempts. Here are some rolls for them so you can take them into account when updating the round.
Touch: [roll15]
Strength Check[roll16]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll17]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll18]
Damage if I hit: [roll19]
Touch: [roll20]
Strength Check[roll21]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll22]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll23]
Damage if I hit: [roll24]
Touch: [roll25]
Strength Check[roll26]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll27]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll28]
Damage if I hit: [roll29]
Touch: [roll30]
Strength Check[roll31]
Strength Check to resist being tripped if I fail: [roll32]
Attack Role if I succeed: [roll33]
Damage if I hit: [roll34]

Dunkoro
2013-03-04, 03:20 AM
Mirian will charge any ogre she could, and if none, she'll simply move to an appropriate location to charge next turn. Spiritual Weapon still attacks.

Spiritual Weapon Attack and Damage
[roll0]
[roll1]
Charge attack and damage
[roll2]
[roll3]

Batpope Scott
2013-03-04, 03:07 PM
Round Two!

Paul has a string of bad luck as both of the trip attacks fail to knock over his opponents, but his first two don't end in him getting knocked over himself until the very last of his attacks where the ogre gives a mighty pull with it's leg.

If he drops his weapon to avoid the trip he will be unarmed to protect himself from the next onslaught.

Ri'anthal has trouble finding a a path that doesn't hit an ally with his lightning bolt but succeeds in seeing one to the very edge of the ogre. He quickly backsteps and lets off his arcane might, to which the ogre has no defense.

Mirian charges the ogre that has not yet been assaulted and strikes it with her sword while the spiritual sword misses it's own attack.

The lead ogre reaches over and strikes with an open hand in an attempt to hold Paul! Paul normally sees an opening but this time can't seem to find one.

The poor man fails to dodge the attack, but can still resist the hold.

The grapple to beat is 30

The ogre that has just been charged retaliates with a mighty swing of his club and connects to the now hurt Mirian.

Damage from the strike is 14

Gilyryth fires his longbow into the lead ogre but misses the first shot. Even though the second hit, it seems to do very little actual damage to the creature.

The last ogre takes a step towards Ri'anthal and shows him the business end of his club.

The ogre five foot stepped and then swung, hitting you and dealing 19 damage.

A chilling mist permeates the area this round but doesn't immediately show any beneficial or adverse effects.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-04, 03:12 PM
Paul falls to the ground though does not drop his weapon. He tries to resist the ogre grabbing him but is easily overpowered..
[roll0]
If I fail I take damage as if with an unarmed strike, how much is this?
Edit: I get another +4 from powerful build, it isn't enough to help though.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-04, 03:14 PM
Paul tries to break free from the ogre's hold.
I'm escaping the grapple. [roll0]
Edit: I get a size modifier of +4 from powerful build, I forgot to include this.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-04, 03:38 PM
Ri'Anthal drops to the ground unconscious.

-5 HP

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-04, 03:57 PM
If he has a clear path, Gilyryth will move to Ri'anthal's position and cast a cure spell.

Cure light wounds [roll0]

If he cannot reach his Ri'anthal and cast his spell, Gilyryth will move toward Ri'anthal and begin to Inspire Courage.

Dunkoro
2013-03-07, 01:42 AM
Mirian directs her spiritual weapon and attacks the ogre she's been fighting withwith both her sword and her spiritual sword.

Weapon
[roll0]
[roll1]
Mirian
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dunkoro
2013-03-07, 01:44 AM
Confirming crit

[roll0]
[roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-03-07, 02:08 AM
Round Three!

Paul struggles in vain against the large monster holding him down.

Ri'anthal is currently unconscious on top of a berry bush, bleeding slowly.

-6 HP

Mirian misses with her own strike, but her spiritual weapon strikes true against the large ogre. The strike doesn't seem to cause any major bleeding. How strange.

The ogre on top of Paul (Ogre 1) attempts to bite into him! Sharp fangs in his maw become suddenly visible as his head bears down on you.

Grapple check of 27 is required to stop him from attacking and if you fail he gets in a bite and you take 6 damage and have to make a fortitude save DC 17.

The ogre that Mirian is battling (Ogre 2) attempts to swing at her but fails to hit.

Gilyryth exercises caution because of the ogre standing over Ri'anthal and starts to inspire courage in his allies. He moves ten feet away from the elf and ogre.

The last ogre(Ogre 3) goes to help Ogre 2 attack Mirian, but likewise fails in his attack.

The chilling mist feels a little colder now.

Dunkoro
2013-03-07, 02:51 AM
Hold in there!
Miriam casts Close Wounds as an immediate action on Ri'anthal. On her turn she and her weapon continue to attack the same ogre, while she herself is fighting defensively:

Close Wounds:
[roll0]
Spiritual weapon:
[roll1]
[roll2]
Mirian
[roll3]
[roll4]
EDIT; these are some terrible rolls.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-07, 02:52 AM
Mirian
You are not close enough to cast that spell. The ogre moved to you, not the other way around unless you have a reach spell.

Dunkoro
2013-03-07, 03:01 AM
35 feet is not enough to reach him? It has a range of short, not of touch. Wow, we got a lot distance between each other.
Anyway, I rolled for the wrong version of the Close Wounds:
[roll0]
If it's too big of a distance, simply disregard the Close Wounds.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-07, 03:14 AM
Ignore me, I'm forgetting to check the spells before I let my memory do the work. You're close enough to use that.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-07, 06:36 AM
Paul attempts to avoid being bit.

Grapple to avoid: [roll0]
Fortitude [roll1]
Grapple to escape [roll2]
If I escape I spend a move action to stand up.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-07, 09:03 AM
Ri becomes conscious yet disabled. Realizing he has an ogre standing over him, Ri hopes that it doesn't realize he is awake and view him as a threat.

Dunkoro
2013-03-07, 09:04 AM
Isn't the ogre previously attacking Ri now attacking Mirian?

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-07, 10:54 PM
Gil will attempt to throw the ogre by Ri'anthal into magically-enhanced hysterics by casting Hideous Laughter as he continues to Inspire Courage.

DC is 10 + 3 for ability mod+ 1 for 1st level spell. Will save vs. DC 14. Ogre might qualify for +4 to save since we are different types (but I do speak Giant, if that matters). Any chance I can try to recall a joke in Giant using some sort of knowledge check and negate the bonus?

The Melodic Casting feat is what lets me cast while I continue to recite poetics, by the way.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-08, 02:35 AM
Paul barely avoids the bite of the drooling lug trying to take a chunk out of him and successfully knocks him off too! He stands triumphant and the ogre now stares blankly at him.

Ri'anthal decides he should stay still to avoid reopening his wounds.

Mirian succeeded in healing her ally, but was not so fortunate in her onslaught as both her attack and the attack of her spiritual weapon bounce off the ogres thick skin.

Ogre 1 swings a fist a Paul but hits nothing but air.

Ogre 2 swings his club but has terrible aim and notches the dirt beneath his feet.

Gilyryth continues his inspirational poetry but the spell he wove into the poetics seems to have no effect on the ogre who doesn't even take notice.

Ogre 3 decides to swing at Paul with his club and shows the same ineptitude of his brethren.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-08, 06:22 AM
Gilyryth will attack the ogre nearest Ri'anthal. His poetics will echo in the air for 3 rounds.

Expend action point for 2nd attack

Attack 1 [roll0]
Attack 2 [roll1]

Damage 1 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3]

If he cannot attack, he will cease Inspire Courage and cast Invisibilty on himself and move to try to pull Ri'anthal away.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-08, 06:40 AM
Paul will attempt to trip ogre 3.
Melee Touch Attack [roll0]
Strength Check [roll1]
If Strength Check Succeeds
Attack Roll[roll2]
Damage [roll3]
If Strength Check Fails
Strength Check to resist being tripped [roll]1d20+16
I will not drop the weapon to resist being tripped.

I Might have to make AoOs, If I do they will be trip attempts, you can roll them using the modifiers I have here.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-08, 08:27 AM
Ri continues to lie on the ground, pretending to be dead.

0 HP

Dunkoro
2013-03-11, 03:51 AM
Mirian still continues her basic attack routine.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dunkoro
2013-03-11, 03:53 AM
Confirming Crit

[roll0]
[roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-03-12, 03:18 AM
Round Five!

Paul has a large series of successes! The trip and attack routine slams the ogre to the ground.

Ri'anthal wisely decides to not open his wounds still.

Mirian's blades bite into the second ogre's flesh but the creature still stands.

Ogre 1 attempts to grapple paul again but fails to even hit him.

Ogre 2 retaliates against Mirian with a closed fist and cracks her across the jaw.
11 damage

Gilyryth moves over to Ri'anthal and casts a curative spell over him to get the mage back in the fight.
Since there was no roll involved in the OOC thread, [roll0]

Ogre 3 attempts to stand but is tripped again by paul.

Dunkoro
2013-03-12, 03:52 AM
You can't trip someone who's in the process of standing up. He's still considered tripped at the time =]

When you're giving damage values is it post- or pre-DR?

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-12, 04:27 AM
Gilyryth will summon a giant celestial fire beetle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giantFireBeetle.htm) in a position to help Mirian flank her ogre foe.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-12, 05:46 AM
Paul will attempt to trip ogre 1.
Touch
Strength[roll1]
If strength succeedsAttack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
If strength check fails
Strength to resist being tripped [roll1d20+16
I won't drop the weapon
You can roll be attacks of opportunity (which will be trip attempts).

Dunkoro
2013-03-12, 07:03 AM
Mirian continues her attack routine for yet another turn.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

XianTheCoder
2013-03-12, 10:03 AM
11 HP
18 AC

Ri casts Fly from the ground and immediately moves his full fly speed straight off the ground, taking him away from harm and outside the range of thrown and most ranged weapons (but inside the range of Lightning Bolt). He will then prepare to cast from his more protected vantage.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-12, 06:06 PM
Damage values are pre DR, and i'm letting him have the keep them down of the trip.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-13, 04:27 AM
Round six!

Paul has another bit of luck as he successfully trips the ogre and smashes it. Even better is that the ogre in question has ceased to move!

Ri'anthal flies himself up out of the reach of any ogre and looks down from above as the wind bites at him.

Mirian succeeds in felling her opponent as well and her spiritual sword strikes a blow into the last of the ogres.

Gilyryth summons a heavenly beetle to help battle the ogres but it's attack fails to harm the ogre it attacks.
I rolled for you, and the beetle missed.

Ogre 3 stands alone as it swings it's club at the new enemy behind it. The swing clobbers the bug and it falls.
6 damage knocks it to -2 if I remember.

Dunkoro
2013-03-13, 04:39 AM
Miriam, after finally dropping the ogre turned go attack the remaining one as did her sliritual weapon.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-13, 05:39 AM
Paul strikes at the ogre, not trying to trip it, just trying to finish it off.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-13, 05:40 AM
I rolled 12 d6 rather than 2d6. That is not right.
[roll0]

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-13, 06:33 AM
Gilyryth will attempt to attack the ogre 3.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If the ogre is defeated before his turn, Gilyryth will obviously not attack it. He will search the bodies of the ogres, however.

Search [roll2]

XianTheCoder
2013-03-13, 07:22 AM
Seeing two Ogres fall Ri turns his attention on the last remaining one. If he can get an angle on it (straight down?) that will allow him to cast Lightning Bolt, then he will, otherwise he will cast Magic Missile.

Lightning Bolt:
[roll0]

Magic Missile (Alternate Action)
[roll1]

Once the Ogre is felled Ri will make a circuit in the sky scouting out the surrounding areas, before returning and landing next to the party.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-14, 12:20 AM
Paul and Mirian's combined strikes fell the final ogre and the party stands triumphant.

Ri'anthal scouts and sees that the fey had lead you away from what seems to be a small stone outcrop that has a cave towards the top. The rest of the area is the same except for the direction where you all are going, which seems to level off and lacks trees for the most part.

Gilyryth digs through the ogre's pockets and finds that each was carrying a large black gemstone, a large greatclub each, and were wearing shambled tatters that would pass for hide armor.

After about half a minute your guide comes back. Amira flies a little above Mirian's head and announces I guess you guys are actually good at what you do. Sorry about disappearing like that, I'm no fighter.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-14, 06:02 AM
Gilyryth would like to Detect Magic to examine the items.

I would like to use a Spellcraft check as well. Even if the items are not magical, I might be able to notice that they were created by magic.
Spellcraft [roll0]

Does anyone need a cure spell? Does anyone hear or see anything else nearby?

Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

Finally, Gilyrth would like to collect a large sample of hair and blood from the lead ogre (enough to have a small piece of cloth made from the hair, if possible).

One never knows what uses one can find for such things.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-14, 07:17 AM
After scouting Ri'Anthal will land near the others. No immediate sign of other hostile creatures, although there are plenty of places for them to be hiding. He will immediately turn to Gil, Thank you cousin for the aid in healing, I wasn't expecting that club to strike with such ferocity. I'm fine for now, and should be back at 100% by morning.

To Amira, Ms Amira, may I ask what is in the cave at the stone outcropping that you are leading us around?

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-14, 01:58 PM
As the last ogre fall Paul gazes around triumphantly for a few seconds before lowering his weapon. I could use some healing.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-14, 04:19 PM
Amira thinks for a moment before finding her answer. I'm pretty sure that's where a wyvern lives though somebody might have killed it by now.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-14, 04:48 PM
Ri'Anthal raises an eyebrow, How did my research miss that? Well it's certainly best we avoid that then. How long do people need before they are ready to move out?

Batpope Scott
2013-03-16, 07:14 AM
The items themselves are not magical, nor do they seem created by magic, but the ogres themselves give off a magical aura of moderate strength. Focusing reveals the school to be necromancy.

Gilyryth does not hear or see anything out of place around him.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-18, 10:43 AM
So having seen little reaction to the battle and no response to his inquiry, Ri'Anthal prepares to move out himself. Amira, are you ready to continue leading us through?

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-18, 02:09 PM
I am ready to move on. I won't let a few cuts stop me.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-18, 04:35 PM
Gilyryth will cure Paul (and anyone else who needs it) from the wand.

Wand
[roll0]
[roll1]
If more than two castings is needed...
[roll2]
[roll3]

Dunkoro
2013-03-18, 04:38 PM
I think we're ready to go now that everybody's healed.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-18, 06:44 PM
3 castings are enough to fully heal Paul. That magic stick is nice, it fixes me.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-18, 07:51 PM
Amira flutters past all of you and prepares to lead on. I can still go on if you can.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-18, 10:03 PM
Ri'Anthal will nod, Please lead on, Amira. We are more than ready to continue.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-19, 02:28 AM
Amira leads on for what seems to be only a few minutes and you come to the far side of the bog. Looking back it seems there would be no way you walked all this way with those turns in such a small time.

You look out in front of you to see a rolling grass field and in the distance you see what looks to be a small village that you can guess to be the home of the local lizardmen.

Amira stops once you all get to the outer edge and says This is where my area of expertise ends, folks. Let's get movin', yeah?

It will take a good half an hour or so to get to the village and the sun is already starting to lower in the sky.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-19, 04:31 AM
Blessed fey, your presence has provided us with a favorable wind at our backs. Let us be swift, for twilight falls.

Gilyryth urges Equinox onward, examining the horizon, then turning his attention to his attire, to ensure that battle did not fray his breeches or waistcoat.

Spot [roll0]
Perform [roll1]

After that, he begins to strum his mandola, playing a slow, sad tune, fitting for the first twilight after blood has been shed.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-19, 05:35 AM
Paul enjoys the tune, it reminds him of his life in the palace.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-19, 07:30 AM
What do we know about the lizardmen? Are the at least semi-friendly? Do they have any particular customs related to travellers passing through their lands?

Ri'Anthal rides along, letting the tune create a rhythm for his horses movements.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-21, 10:09 PM
Knowledge(Local) checks would be nice to see if you know anything about them. All you know as "Common Knowledge" is that they happen to be pretty secluded.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-21, 10:35 PM
Knowledge Local: [roll0]

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-21, 11:37 PM
Knowledge (Local) [roll0]

Batpope Scott
2013-03-22, 03:15 AM
Gilyryth knows that the lizardfolk are tribal and worship some form of giant snake. The only knowledge you can garner from memory on the subject of their policies towards outsiders is that most humans refuse to trade with them and the feeling is mutual.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-22, 05:33 AM
So, do you think we should enter the village? It seems like a good place to spend the night.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-22, 07:00 AM
I'm not opposed to doing so, if the lizardfolk offer the proper gemütlichkeit. Perhaps if we can think of a gift to offer them?

Noticing that the others are in sync with his music, Gilyryth continues to play but quickens the tempo, now strumming a pleasant march.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-22, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure I have much to offer them in terms of material goods, but I think I could be of service if they had other needs. Not sure we want to spend that much energy for a simple nights rest though.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-23, 09:46 AM
I would normally agree, but we are in unfamiliar and potentially unsafe territory. Additionally, any gift would be be for more than just a night's safety; it could help us cement a friendship. Furthermore, if we can cast spells for them before we rest, we really haven't expended energy unnecessarily.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-23, 01:02 PM
So we all agree with my plan to enter the town and sleep there?

Dunkoro
2013-03-23, 03:34 PM
I think it's a good idea.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-23, 08:42 PM
Your fae companion flutters around impatiently, but has something to say on the matter as well. What kind of gift could you give to a big lizard?

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-24, 02:46 AM
Perhaps they would enjoy a small sampling of my soaps, some candles, some of my silken rope, one of my capes, a small pouch of gold, and some new Draconic songs from my repertoire. They may even have a spellcaster to whom one of us could teach a spell. The gifts are meant to represent our friendliness, so the more, the better.

With that, Gilyryth ceases his music and begins to look through this haversack, examining its contents for inspiration.

Doesn't anyone else have something to add?

Dunkoro
2013-03-24, 03:26 AM
Don't even look at me. I'm only carrying the most immediately useful things with me. Nothing at all that could become a gift.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-24, 05:22 AM
Well, of course not, given your voluntary poverty. Perhaps, though, your gift could be to share religious knowledge or perform some act of divinity for their benefit, such as healing or the like.

What of you, Paul? If you have no belongings from which you can be separated without inconvenience, would you be willing to share your knowledge of the martial arts of warfare and weaponry?

This is all merely speculation, of course, but, as a trained diplomat, I always seek that avenue which is most peaceful and most beneficial to both sides.

Dunkoro
2013-03-24, 05:31 AM
I could definitely lend them a helping hand in terms of healing magic.
If they so wish I could also tell them tales about gods, that the lizardfolk would not know.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-24, 07:31 AM
I could teach them a thing or to about fighting.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-24, 11:03 AM
Ri'Anthal still greatly dislikes going to the Lizardfolk camp, but he'll give Gil his moment without argument.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-25, 10:32 AM
Coming to the lizardfolk settlement, it seems that it is mostly deserted but some lizardfolk walk to and fro carrying tools or supplies. The area is permeated by tents appearing to be made of some form of canvas. There is a large building that appears to be an older ruin in the center which you can see a dim light coming out of the entrance of.

A pair of warriors with spears walk up to you and speak in the slithering tongue of dragon-kind. Speak your business or be gone from this place, outsiders.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-25, 11:09 AM
Considering that it is Gil's plan, Ri stands back and lets Gil do the talking.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-25, 02:00 PM
Paul will let Gil do the talking. He stands beside Gil, in order to lend a hand should things get out of hand.

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-27, 06:03 AM
We have come south through the bog to oppose the Raiders who plague this area. We heard of your tribe and thought it might be beneficial to contact you. We do not want to impinge on your privacy; we merely thought that the Raiders' activities might be known to you, and that you might oppose them as well.

Diplomacy[roll0]
Action point bonus[roll1]

Batpope Scott
2013-03-27, 06:26 AM
Gilyryth
What language are you speaking at the moment?

KinnetDynamon
2013-03-27, 06:39 PM
Draconic, as you said/implied they were speaking it.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-29, 12:59 AM
The lizard-man takes a moment to think before speaking again. I have no knowledge of any "Raiders" as you have put it, so we have no business to make with you unless you bring other things as well.

The other guard walks up with a hiss. Do make it quick, the ceremony of night is about to begin and we are needed.

XianTheCoder
2013-03-29, 07:53 PM
We lack in material goods, but have many other things to offer by way of services. Perhaps for allowing us to stay in the safety of your camp we could provide some of these services?

Batpope Scott
2013-03-30, 05:28 AM
The second lizardfolk rotates his head to the side before asking What exactly would we have to gain from you outsiders?

XianTheCoder
2013-03-30, 08:13 AM
The second lizardfolk rotates his head to the side before asking What exactly would we have to gain from you outsiders?

Healing, Song, perhaps some different Combat tactics than you're currently used to. The possibilities are endless.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-31, 02:30 AM
The two lizardfolk look at each other before the second one sighs and steps out of your way.

You may speak with the lesser shaman.

He points to a small hut a small walk away.

He will take you in and judge if you can really help us.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-31, 06:37 AM
Paul walks to the lesser shaman's house.

Batpope Scott
2013-03-31, 09:08 AM
You brush open the flap that serves as the entrance and inside you have trouble seeing past the smog cloud coming from the back where a lizard-man stands over a cauldron and appears to be attempting to brew something. He doesn't appear to notice you come in.

GnomeGninjas
2013-03-31, 03:50 PM
Paul doesn't say anything and merely watches the lizard man. He is interested in what is going to happen.

XianTheCoder
2013-04-03, 09:06 AM
Ri'Anthal will clear his throat, but otherwise not say anything that might disturb the Shaman.

Batpope Scott
2013-04-03, 09:21 AM
The shaman takes another minute or so, creating much more smoke in the process, before finally yelling out Aha! I finally made it right!

It's hard to see but he scoops something out of his cauldron into a bowl and takes a large drink of it. That... was not as tasty as I'd hoped.

He turns around to look for something and finally notices you. Oh I'm sorry, have you been waiting on me? Come in, come in. What can I do for you?

XianTheCoder
2013-04-03, 10:16 AM
We are traveling through your lands, and wanted to first seek your approval and let you know we mean to travel quickly and discretely and secondly we seek a safe place to sleep for this evening. We are willing to pull our weight by compensating you through services we can provide, such as song, healing, or combat training.

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-03, 01:24 PM
I can move heavy objects too. I'm very good at that.

Batpope Scott
2013-04-04, 11:01 AM
Ah travelers! Of course you can stay here for the night, I love having company.

He begins trying to wave the smoke out of the tent.

Might I ask if you are going towards the coast? Perhaps to a shipyard? I have need of a particular seashell for one of my experiments and alas have no time to get one myself!

Dunkoro
2013-04-05, 07:01 AM
If we go through there, we'll be sure to pick something up, but I'm afraid we can't promise anything.

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-05, 07:06 AM
In which hut should we stay?

Batpope Scott
2013-04-05, 02:38 PM
If you cannot get my shells it is no matter. I will compensate you for your efforts should you return with them.

The shaman walks over to the back of his hut and opens up a flap you couldn't see before and points inside to what looks like a primitive hospital room.

You can sleep on any of the beds in here if you would like and then you can be off with no trouble from me. Don't mind the blood, it's mostly dried by now.

The shaman does his best to imitate a human smile and then adds, I'll try and keep the smoke down too. No promises.

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-05, 06:08 PM
Paul is concerned about the blood though he doesn't say anything for fear that the lesser shaman will be offended.

Batpope Scott
2013-04-06, 12:12 PM
Are you all going to rest for the night?

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-06, 12:21 PM
Yes, I will rest for the night.

Dunkoro
2013-04-06, 12:26 PM
Me two. Of course, after praying for a while (morning prayer is recovering spells, but that doesn't matter I can't pray in the evening too, right? :)

Batpope Scott
2013-04-07, 04:26 PM
You awake in the morning to the sounds of singing in the draconic tongue. It sounds like a large group of lizardfolk singing from inside the temple.

You hear the lesser shaman humming along quietly and the slight tapping of a mortar and pestle from the other room.

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-07, 07:14 PM
Paul gets up and moves to the other room.

Batpope Scott
2013-04-07, 07:52 PM
The lesser shaman is standing over a table laden with herbs and numerous other ingredients as he grinds some kind of dark leaf in his mortar. He notices you come in and greets you warmly. Welcome to the coming of dawn, outsider.

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-08, 05:43 AM
Thank you. I haven't been to a dawn coming thing before.

Batpope Scott
2013-04-08, 12:15 PM
The lesser shaman chuckles before saying I'm sorry for the confusion. That is how we say... what is it you outsiders say? Good morning?

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-08, 02:04 PM
Oh, I see. Good morning! Paul cheerfully replies.

Dunkoro
2013-04-12, 11:45 AM
After finishing her lenghty morning prayers, Mirian too walks to the other room.
Welcome. What a fine day we have today, don't you think?

Can she recognize words of the draconic song?
[roll0]

Batpope Scott
2013-04-15, 01:26 AM
Ah, yes it is. The sun is glorious again today. If you wish I could prepare a meal for you all. I need practice anyway.

GnomeGninjas
2013-04-15, 05:42 AM
Well, I don't need to eat because of my magic ring. Some other of my companions might though.