PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Divine Rank Independent of Followers?

MonkeySage
2013-02-05, 02:46 PM
The game I'm running does not use traditional style deities. Some spirits and immortals are powerful enough to grant spells like a deity, and might have a divine rank... But that divine rank has nothing to do with the amount of followers they have.

I'm thinking of having divine rank based on character level, rather than number of followers, how might I do this?

As an example: We have the goddess of mercy. Her defining characteristic is her ability to hear the cries of the suffering faithful. She is known in 3 countries, by 4 different names, but she is not "worshipped" so much as "respected", and shrines dedicated to her reflect that. She was a human at one time, and attained immortality at some point in her life.
She is a level 30 monk, possessed of a few spell like abilities thanks to her divine rank, and has the immortal template I described here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270440).

I would also like to replace many of the features of divinity with those of an immortal, where it applies.

Here is what i'm thinking, based in part on the above linkd immortal template thread:
Divine Rank 0 only requires that they have the immortal template, or are a spirit of sufficient age.

Divine rank 1 may require at least level 21? With a Divine rank overhaul, many of the usual perks of having a divine rank would no longer apply, due to inconsistencies or redundancies related to the immortal template.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-02-05, 03:35 PM
DivR being based on followers isn't actually a core mechanic. It's simply fluff added onto FR's gods as a ruling passed down from Ao after the Time of Troubles.

This means that DivR isn't based on followers by default, so it really doesn't matter if you change it to that.

Milo v3
2013-02-05, 03:47 PM
DivR being based on followers isn't actually a core mechanic. It's simply fluff added onto FR's gods as a ruling passed down from Ao after the Time of Troubles.

This means that DivR isn't based on followers by default, so it really doesn't matter if you change it to that.

Actually it is, at least according to the descriptions of the Divine Ranks:

Rank 0

Creatures of this rank are sometimes called quasi-deities or hero deities. Creatures that have a mortal and a deity as parents also fall into this category. These entities cannot grant spells, but are immortal and usually have one or more ability scores that are far above the norm for their species. They may have some worshipers. Ordinary mortals do not have a divine rank of 0. They lack a divine rank altogether.

Rank 1–5

These entities, called demigods, are the weakest of the deities. A demigod can grant spells and perform a few deeds that are beyond mortal limits. A demigod has anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand devoted mortal worshipers and may receive veneration or respect from many more. A demigod controls a small godly realm (usually on an Outer Plane) and has minor control over a portfolio that includes one or more aspects of mortal existence. A demigod might be very accomplished in a single skill or a group of related skills, gain combat advantages in special circumstances, or be able to bring about minor changes in reality itself related to the portfolio.

Rank 6–10
Called lesser deities, these entities grant spells and can perform more powerful deeds than demigods can. Lesser deities have anywhere from a few thousand to tens of thousands of worshipers and control larger godly realms than demigods. They also have keener senses where their portfolios are concerned.

Rank 11–15
These entities are called intermediate deities. They have hundreds of thousands of mortal worshipers and control larger godly realms than demigods or lesser deities.

Rank 16–20
Called greater deities, these entities may have millions of mortal worshipers, and they command respect even among other deities. The most powerful of greater deities rule over other deities just as mortal sovereigns rule over commoners.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-02-05, 03:56 PM
Fair. Still, my point stands. There's WotC settings where this isn't the default, so I see no reason why you can't just throw it out and not worry about it.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-02-05, 04:13 PM

Actually that could be taken to mean the number of followers a deity can have is dependent on its divine rank. A lower ranking deity can't attract more then X number of followers. For comparison your leadership score determines how may followers you can have not the other way around.

So really it can go either way depending on setting.

Yitzi
2013-02-06, 10:37 AM
As a cosmological question, this really depends on how you want to build your world.
To put it another way: How does a deity become more powerful in your world? Is it via training their special deity powers, is it via training anything (i.e. becoming a better wizard also makes them a stronger deity), or is it simply fixed by whatever gave them divinity and unchangeable? Based on that, you can decide to make it its own prestige class, or based on character level, or determined by the source of divinity.

DracoDei
2013-02-06, 01:45 PM
As a cosmological question, this really depends on how you want to build your world.
To put it another way: How does a deity become more powerful in your world? Is it via training their special deity powers, is it via training anything (i.e. becoming a better wizard also makes them a stronger deity), or is it simply fixed by whatever gave them divinity and unchangeable? Based on that, you can decide to make it its own prestige class, or based on character level, or determined by the source of divinity.
An excellent point.

Erik Vale
2013-02-06, 04:43 PM

In front of each bolded sentance is one key word.
May.
As such, they don't need the followers, however they will probably have them as they are such powerful creatures and grant power to their followers. [Basically, they get free leadership].

Milo v3
2013-02-06, 04:47 PM
In front of each bolded sentance is one key word.
May.
As such, they don't need the followers, however they will probably have them as they are such powerful creatures and grant power to their followers. [Basically, they get free leadership].

Only quasi-deities and greater deities have the word May in them.

Erik Vale
2013-02-06, 05:26 PM
Hmmm... True.
However looking at what the OP suggests, Divine ranks 1-5 should be fine to play with. [Or he could grant decimils to make it seem easier to gain ranks].