PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Polymorphamory - The Love of Changing Form: A guide to shapeshifting

Draxar
2013-02-05, 05:30 PM
Having made a Druid archetype that gives the Druid all of the shapeshifting spells as Wildshape options over the course of the class, I realised that I didn't actually have much idea which forms were good, which ones were bad, which had the handy utility abilities, which were incredibly mobile/fast/had great senses, and so forth.

So, I decided to fix that. And whilst looking through it for myself, I thought I might as well make a guide for others too. Here it is:

Polymorphamory - The Love of Changing Form: A guide to shapeshifting (http://goo.gl/0YT3O)

I've gone through all of the spells where you take a specific creatures form, and gain benefits based on the abilities of that form. I've picked out the best combat forms, but also noted forms with other useful abilities. I've used the Monster DB (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-filter) from d20pfsrd site, my thanks to them and to Mike Chopswil, as it made doing this far easier than it would otherwise have been.

If anyone's got any feedback on this it'd be very much appreciated — anything I've missed, any mistakes, and any suggestions for improving it. I've a few thoughts on that myself, which I've stuck at the end of the document, but I'd also appreciate other people's input.

Doorhandle
2013-02-05, 09:02 PM
Interesting: I never though that monstrous physique was that useful, until I looked at that guide. Well-thought out.

Draxar
2013-02-05, 09:30 PM
Interesting: I never though that monstrous physique was that useful, until I looked at that guide. Well-thought out.

It's lacking a few things that many of the others have; it gives pounce, yet none of the forms you can take have that, and it lacks the smaller forms for sneaking around with. But there are a reasonable number of good combat forms, a fair few utility abilities, and the ability to use weapons and armour alongside the attacks and abilities of the form. So yeah, definite uses.

Ravenica
2013-02-05, 10:06 PM
No love for elemental body?

come on! earth glide! yaaaaay lol

Draxar
2013-02-06, 06:19 AM
No love for elemental body?

come on! earth glide! yaaaaay lol

At some point I'll cover it. But Elemental Body and Form of the Dragon tell you exactly what you get from them; you don't have the same need to search for creatures to take the form of.

Cog
2013-02-06, 11:13 PM
For the benefit of any Nimble Guardian Monks, it might be worth putting a tag on which magical beasts are significantly feline in nature, like the Kamadan and the Manticore.

Psyren
2013-02-07, 12:16 AM
Thanks for putting this together, you get a bookmark from me. Finding the best forms to get as many abilties as possible from each spell would have been a pain on my own.

Draxar
2013-02-07, 08:35 AM
For the benefit of any Nimble Guardian Monks, it might be worth putting a tag on which magical beasts are significantly feline in nature, like the Kamadan and the Manticore.

I'll add it to the list for when I start doing class & archetype specific suggestions in the guide.

Chauncer
2018-08-02, 04:05 AM
This is good but it needs an update for Fey Form I