PDA

View Full Version : "D**n it all!" moments

Force2Reckon
2013-02-05, 06:15 PM
::EDIT::
It was great hearing from everyone, though it looks like this thread is basically dead now :) it had some fun stories in it!

::OP::
So I was reading this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88960&page=6) thread here on the forums and I saw some interesting notes on moments where people just said "screw it all I'm doing it". I plan on playing a klepto halfling "damn it all" or "damn the consequences" style character in my next campaign as well, all of these are stacking up and are making me curious... what are some of you guys' favorite "Damn it all" or more specifically "Damn the consequences" moments?

Also speculate on some weird habits or things people have done/obsessed over, just hoping hearing some stories will help spark some fun roleplaying from me, and when I have those moments in this upcoming game (Pathfinder/Friday nights) I'll let you guys know what they are... heck I may just create a link to a new thread and chronologizinate the story. That's a word right?

LET IT BEGIN! :smalltongue:

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-02-05, 08:36 PM
I had a pretty good game running for a while. I was DMing for a group of eclectic Assassins working in an Ancient Rome setting. We had many, many Damn the Consequences moments. Two of my favorites:

:smallbiggrin:The Party got completely smashed on Elf-Beer after a successful mission. They awoke in various sticky situations all over the city, with the Monk and the Bard awakening naked in a field outside the city gates. Long story short, they eventually remembered that they had been robbed by a troop of actors. They hunted these poor fools down.

The party were already well known for hitting above their weight level and leaving unbelievable amounts of collaterall damage in their wake, so at least one of the troop (wearing the Bard's armor as a costume) bolted when they caught sight of each other.

Neither Player cared at this point what would happen, so they ssaid "Screw it" and attacked. While the Bard beat the bejeweled out of the other actors, the Monk (we called him the Invisible-Jumping-Hulk) leapt after the runner. They ended up in a running-grapple-punch fight across the city, across rooftops and through the gladiator cages. The Monk wound up hitting a gladiator in the face with a bucket of elephant dung, killed several bystanders who didn't clear the way fast enough, and eventually tore the fleeing actor (and to the Bard's dismay, his formerly magical armor) in half. They ended that day coated in blood, partly singed, and with a body count in the low-dozens.

:smalleek:Later, after getting themselves bumped up to the top of an Immortal Body-jumping Wizard's S**t-List, the Druid of the group (who had successfully hid his comatose sister/plothook from the rest of the party) found out that said Wizard had kidnapped his sister, and would exchange her life for his stolen Magical Artifacts.

Druid's exact words: "That's it. This setting is done."

They united all the warring factions of the city together for a final showdown, and then abused the Druid's Alchemy skill and the Bard's Engineering skill in order to trap the ENTIRE CITY with Dynamite, including the inner sanctum of the Immortal Wizard. They got themselves a flying carpet, tossed the Wizard his artifacts (strapped with explosives), and sailed into the distance as the entire peninsula sank beneath the now on fire ocean.

Body count in the upper hundreds-of-thousands, and the Druid had stolen all the Wizard's best spells, thus declaring himself the new Dark Lord.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-02-05, 09:26 PM
Running a solo campaign. My player got ensnared in webs of intrigue, got tired of being played as a catspaw, and decided that he was going to take the heir to the local fief on a quest to kill a dragon. In a low-magic game.

Doorhandle
2013-02-05, 09:31 PM
Druid's exact words: "That's it. This setting is done."

They united all the warring factions of the city together for a final showdown, and then abused the Druid's Alchemy skill and the Bard's Engineering skill in order to trap the ENTIRE CITY with Dynamite, including the inner sanctum of the Immortal Wizard. They got themselves a flying carpet, tossed the Wizard his artifacts (strapped with explosives), and sailed into the distance as the entire peninsula sank beneath the now on fire ocean.

Body count in the upper hundreds-of-thousands, and the Druid had stolen all the Wizard's best spells, thus declaring himself the new Dark Lord.

I do belive that is a Henderson and a half of plot derailment!

I had a moment like this playing Don't Rest Your Head. My character, Samuel (A sardonic, and surprisingly erudite bum/cartogapher with the ability to become smoke/obsucure the boarders of things) was trying to play off the pinheads and paperboys against each other
and was basically running on fumes at this point. It was within 2 hours of the next dark hour, and I had just found a place to hide when Officer Tock walked past it, and then proceeded to cleave several unfortunate suspects with his clockwork chainsaw.

A preacher had been following my character the whole game, and believe my character to be the source of the forthcoming apocalypse, and he had just ended up next to me. So, deciding I may as well start my last stand now, I did the only sensible thing: I blew smoke in his face, picked him up, and threw him through a window at Officer Tock. Then I flipped him off, and joined battle.

The good news is, due to the way D.R.Y.H's rules work, you become stronger the closer to the edge you are, and I won handily. The bad news is, if you collapse (I.E, if you rest your head), you're basically dead, and my charcter was alone, exhausted, going mad, and covered in the blood of the city's foremost nightmare about 24 minutes before the 13th hour began...

Jack of Spades
2013-02-05, 10:04 PM
"Screw it, let's do this." Is practically my mantra when playing roleplaying games. Nothing I love more than a stupid plan executed to perfection.

Force2Reckon
2013-02-06, 08:06 AM
I was DMing for a group of eclectic Assassins

No kidding o_o freaking assassins and their explosives.

:3 these posts are all awesome xD

ImaginaryNumber
2013-02-06, 04:48 PM
One of the members of the party was replaced during an earlier incident by a doppelganger. The doppelganger was me. The party was informed someone may be a traitor, but not definitively or what in sense (much less that there was a doppelganger). The party seemed to have thought it meant informant.

I managed to somehow evade suspicion and sabotage the party multiple times (even luring one party member to their death, and nearly causing a party wipe at another point by "flynning" my attacks). This went on long enough the DM decided they'd never catch on, so while infiltrating the villain's lair, we walked into a room with three people semi-conscious tied up and gagged... each one appearing to be a party member.

Didn't take long for everyone to realize one of the three in the group was a fake. Of course one of the three people on the floor was my ACTUAL character, and the other two were doppelgangers. We had a big argument about what to do, and I realized they were slowly putting it together, or might actually use the right magic to make me... so I said heck with it! I'm a villainous NPC! I kill PCs! I'm coup de gra'ing these bound up dudes (including my actual character) because "they're obviously trying to trick us"! They thought I was kidding. I started rolling for it, and some start trying to stop me. Most importantly, now the party is 50/50 split between me being the traitor (because I'm quick to attack) and totally convinced I'm NOT the traitor (because who would do that to their own character?)! Hahaha!

It basically came down to "disable them both and we'll use magic to sort it out" which they did. I couldn't fight all six of them at once when I was trying to kill my own guy. I did get my guy back and I was grateful. The DM was impressed; he might have given me an EXP bonus, I don't remember.

I'd have done it, though, had they not stopped me. It would have been interesting. Maybe I should have killed one of the other two first. I was also happy I didn't do it. Maybe I have split personality disorder :smallbiggrin:

Force2Reckon
2013-02-06, 05:23 PM
One of the members of the party was replaced during an earlier incident by a doppelganger. The doppelganger was me. The party was informed someone may be a traitor, but not definitively or what in sense (much less that there was a doppelganger). The party seemed to have thought it meant informant.

I managed to somehow evade suspicion and sabotage the party multiple times (even luring one party member to their death, and nearly causing a party wipe at another point by "flynning" my attacks). This went on long enough the DM decided they'd never catch on, so while infiltrating the villain's lair, we walked into a room with three people semi-conscious tied up and gagged... each one appearing to be a party member.

Didn't take long for everyone to realize one of the three in the group was a fake. Of course one of the three people on the floor was my ACTUAL character, and the other two were doppelgangers. We had a big argument about what to do, and I realized they were slowly putting it together, or might actually use the right magic to make me... so I said heck with it! I'm a villainous NPC! I kill PCs! I'm coup de gra'ing these bound up dudes (including my actual character) because "they're obviously trying to trick us"! They thought I was kidding. I started rolling for it, and some start trying to stop me. Most importantly, now the party is 50/50 split between me being the traitor (because I'm quick to attack) and totally convinced I'm NOT the traitor (because who would do that to their own character?)! Hahaha!

It basically came down to "disable them both and we'll use magic to sort it out" which they did. I couldn't fight all six of them at once when I was trying to kill my own guy. I did get my guy back and I was grateful. The DM was impressed; he might have given me an EXP bonus, I don't remember.

I'd have done it, though, had they not stopped me. It would have been interesting. Maybe I should have killed one of the other two first. I was also happy I didn't do it. Maybe I have split personality disorder :smallbiggrin:

I played something similar once, but terribly, they figured me out quick and killed me in my sleep *shrug*

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-06, 07:11 PM
Hrrmm...

In my very first D&D session ever, my character was late to a fight with an Orcish alchemist inside her laboratory- the entire room was lined with shelves of potions, many of them Alchemist's fire or it's sonic equivalent.

The moment my character stepped through the door, one of my party members threw Alchemists'f fire at the orc, missed, and hit me; as I was already wounded, this reduced me to 0 Hp.

So, naturally, as my last act, I grabbed the nearest shelf and pushed it over, disintegrating the potions, the orc, the party and the room in a massive explosion.

I was banned from the group the next day.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-06, 07:13 PM
I was banned from the group the next day.

Why? Doing something awesome like that... totally should have had the effect of making you MVP, rather than banning you...

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-06, 07:25 PM
Why? Doing something awesome like that... totally should have had the effect of making you MVP, rather than banning you...

...I vaporized my entire party. I hadn't even had time to build a real character- I was basically playing a 1st-level Commoner, and I vaporized the entire party.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-06, 07:28 PM
...I vaporized my entire party. I hadn't even had time to build a real character- I was basically playing a 1st-level Commoner, and I vaporized the entire party.

...and? I don't see the problem here?? You had a crowning moment of badass! And how else could that encounter have ended? I mean, there's the option of 'open the door, readied action, fire a flaming arrow at some vials, close door, dive for cover' seems to be the only way that COULDN'T end in a TPK... if you actually go into the room, than the whole place is going to blow up, DUHH!

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-06, 07:53 PM
...and? I don't see the problem here?? You had a crowning moment of badass! And how else could that encounter have ended? I mean, there's the option of 'open the door, readied action, fire a flaming arrow at some vials, close door, dive for cover' seems to be the only way that COULDN'T end in a TPK... if you actually go into the room, than the whole place is going to blow up, DUHH!

The fact that this was 9th grade, and I was kind of a jerk in 9th grade, may also have had something to do with it.

ActionReplay
2013-02-06, 08:11 PM
Just had one of these in a game of Shadowrun. The setting was in New York where our Japanese dwarf rigger got a call from a Shibari Corp Johnson. This was just after a near disasterous excursion to the Bronx which we left in an all consuming insanity fueled riot. We're bad at exorcisms okay? Anyways, he explicitly invites the entire group to a teahouse which sends off warning bells in my head. So as the face/generalist/gunbunny/team mom with no knowledge of tea ceremonies, I did the only reasonable thing.

I didn't go and went to a coffee shop as the meet went down. So the runners minus myself and our traditional crazy mage who couldn't make session went after practicing ettiquete for it. Cue akward talking and "Shut up already!" moments from the other japanese runner a laser sniping shapechanger mage and a spirit pact summoner.

Eventually they all get to drinking tea and the johnson reveals the job. Break into a corp and retrieve the paydata on some new bio-lungs stolen by a now deceased team of runners. They worked for a small corp and offered only chump change. When summoner tried to barter he revealed they had no choice as he had the cups filled with designer poison.

My character is getting feed from the rigger's and sammy's cybereyes. So the Johnson offers protection from reprisals as well as 500Y a head for equipment costs. So we hit up all the contacts we can and end up with the blueprints, outside patrols/cameras/pictures/live film taken from long distance rooftops filming. I make some purchases using funds (All of them) for likely needed equipment. We use the last of the funds and pool to get a demolitions man and his gear set for end of op.

We had a three day time limit before the poison killed us over. So before the run I went to a corp we worked for before. Shibari's direct competitor Biojin whom we had done jobs for before. Jobs that screwed over Shibari. See how its coming together? My char who is also our medtech took some blood and unable to figure out anything through high penalties offered a deal. Their enemie's newest killer for an antidote within 3 days. If not, payment options would be negotiated possibly in stock. I hit up my hacker contact who agrees to help and tells us to get remote access nodes to get him in.

Hey, we were getting paid chump change for the job after all. If over half the team wipes I need some kind of recompense yeah?

So run goes down. Crazy mage drops invis on our infiltrator sammy who goes and slaps one of the nodes on the only outside camera. He drops it and our summoner sends Murder Spirit™ bound to her soul to back Sammy up. Crazy mage drops a silence bubble around the gate and our rigger rams through it as sammy, spirit, and my now off the van runner drop the gate guards. The other 13 patrolling don't see or notice. Mage drops the barrier and puts one up around the entire complex. Rigger's drones roll off and neatly annihilate the left side as murder spirit™ mops up the right. Left is speeded up by laser mage sniping from across the street.

Outside gets cleared so we check the cams courtesy of my hacker contact who reveals...only three guards on camera in the complex we can see. A combo of fire hose, laser, and electrocution clear the guard room. I have our summoner send the spirit to the basement to check it out due to no cameras...and he gets annihilated without a word. This is where the paydata is in a 3 story building. the spirit more or less was a very close or first to combat ability in the group.

We just decide to say screw it and systematically clear the first and second floors. Unable to pick the CEO's door I get the better lockpicker A.K.A. monofilament chainsaw and cut down the door...to see a drone with a chaingun and other drones strapped on. Who advised me not to come inside and leave the area. I back off and drop a EMP to keep it from getting new orders. Mage invisibles in with second node and finds out two things.

1. Its a child corp for Shiawase.
2. All the data we want is accessable but not alterable from the CEO's computer.

We decided to do the only reasonable thing. Utterly annihilate the place. The mage begins taking the firehose he used and starts flooding the basement. I call in the demo man who primes the first floor, hands me a charger, and bolts. Everyone piles into the van and the mage pulls himself and the gear back into his van. I start the sprinkler system and walk out. The mage (Sound bubble, firehose, etc.) then uses the napalm spell to turn all the water into burning napalm flooding the building with fire. I thumb the detonator and the now bubble-less building erupts in a fiery explosion collapsing into the basement. Needless to say we bailed immediately. LoneStar was tied down in the Bronx but an eruption in Queens would still get attention fast.

GM reveals at end of session we accidentally the runner team hiding in the basement and their electric corridor of death. The ones we didn't know about. Corp raided, pillaged of all info (what we came for included), and destroyed in under 30mins of ic time.

Moral of the story: Explosives and napalm solve everything.

Force2Reckon
2013-02-06, 09:16 PM
Moral of the story: Explosives and napalm solve everything.
Well I already knew THAT :smalltongue:

Seriously you guys literally just went "**** it" and blew a building... ****ing hell. I'm gonna be spending most of my time robbing people no matter how it screws the party in the end... What can I say, I'm curious...

I also plan on being a kleptomaniac.

Anytips on playing a ::Edit:: Curious ::endedit:: kleptomaniac halfling rogue? (lvl 3 starting, pathfinder system)

Grundy
2013-02-06, 10:07 PM
Well, there was a campaign- waaay back in high school, where the party- the Frolicksome Five- got outsmarted by the BBEG, and in their frustration they decided to raze the next village they came to. The rule was no structure was allowed to remain higher than 2'... and they burned through their extremely rare and powerful staff in the process. Not many survivors...
Later, when they had a less than fruitful dungeon crawl (some of the best loot was essentially sovereign glue, though this was MERP), they went to the nearest hamlet, found the tavern, picked a random guy and the berserker said "You're sitting in my chair." Then they glued him to the ceiling by his head, sat down and drank beer. They didn't flinch when he fell from the ceiling, either. Nobody anywhere near powerful enough to object.

That group didn't get a lot of love, but then they never had five members, either.

Erik Vale
2013-02-06, 10:14 PM
@ Force: Yeah, buy a ring of sustenence to reduce the time your asleap for the party just ganking you, and do everything you can to improve you movement speed.

Or did you mean roleplaying tips?

@Gundy:
Heh... If any member of the part was lawful, the immidiately werent, those are the sort of people you don't annoy.

Doorhandle
2013-02-06, 10:42 PM

Anytips on playing a ::Edit:: Curious ::endedit:: kleptomaniac halfling rogue? (lvl 3 starting, pathfinder system)

Don't.

A more useful tip is to be a thief that is in it for the challenge, rather than greed: and thus, after stealing from a party member, returning the item with a helpful note suggesting that they may want to improve their security. :smallbiggrin:

ActionReplay
2013-02-06, 11:33 PM
Well I already knew THAT :smalltongue:
Seriously you guys literally just went "**** it" and blew a building... ****ing hell. I'm gonna be spending most of my time robbing people no matter how it screws the party in the end... What can I say, I'm curious...

No. We did the run without anyone overhearing the horrible slaughterfest. Then got a monty haul, and THEN we blew it all to hell! Making a speedy get away immediately afterwards. :smallcool:

Well, tbh we had already planned to destroy the place afterwards. Leave behind no evidence of our passing save burning rubble and confused news crews. And when megacorps just got involved we really didn't have many other options. So we just said damn it all and M. Bay'd it outta there.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-06, 11:54 PM

This is a terrible, terrible idea, and is the reason every group I know in real life kills Kender on sight. Don't be That Guy; it's been done, and it NEVER EVER WORKS WELL!!

DigoDragon
2013-02-07, 08:50 AM
This happened in a Shadowrun adventure I ran.

The mission was to break into a medical facility and steal several sealed containers of an experimental nanite paste. The PCs managed to break in quietly, but botched a couple moments against the electronic security (Including releasing some lab animals which triggered a motion alarm down the hall).
It wasn't a total loss since security had to check every room systematically by protocol. This meant that if the PCs were patient, they could predict Security's movements and escape with the goods.

Instead, the said "Eff it, let's take the elevator."

What resulted was a group of guards hearing a "Ding!" of the elevator opening in the lobby and a party of Runners stepping out, guns blazing. Complete with the Matrix lobby scene music.

The PCs succeeded.

Force2Reckon
2013-02-07, 10:56 AM
This is a terrible, terrible idea, and is the reason every group I know in real life kills Kender on sight. Don't be That Guy; it's been done, and it NEVER EVER WORKS WELL!!
This is WHY I'm doing it, they know it's coming, and they're all fine with it. Few limitations, like no stealing weapons/armor from other PC's. Also I'd just like to point out, my mom LOVED playing the Kender type characters back in her D&D days. No one ever complained to her, hell she had people ASK her to play a Kender style character. :smallcool: Thanks for the advice though!

A more useful tip is to be a thief that is in it for the challenge, rather than greed. :smallbiggrin:
A quick strict, dictionary definition of kleptomaniac (what I'm going off of):: Someone with an irrational urge to steal in the absence of an economic motive. Which the whole, in it for the challenge, is one type of kleptomaniac, they steal not for the money, but to prove they can. :smallbiggrin: I may go that route though, game starts tomorrow, just finishing up char creation (two new guys) and doing some intro stuff. I usually just go into it with a general "this is what I wanna do" and see how my mind works it out in actual RP, worked well for me so far.

I think it's best to note that when I say a curious kleptomaniac halfling thief, I mean that in the truest sense. In that my guy likes to steal things that may be useful, or he is curious about, for no reason. He will not have a compulsive "STEAL ALL TEH THINGS" disorder. Which is the Kender attitude that usually gets people frustrated with this style character. Plus, as I've mentioned above the PC's know it's coming, and if it comes down to it my DM has mentioned that he is not above smiting me with a god and forcing me to roll a new character if I go overboard. :smallsmile:

Wow that's an interesting text, reading it through it sounds almost like I'm frustrated. :smallfrown: I'm not I just realized that maybe I hadn't been clear that I'm not trying to play That Guy, I'm trying to rework the whole, stealing for stealing sake style.

Guizonde
2013-02-07, 02:26 PM
RE: the thread: basically my entire pen and paper experience. why? because screw logic. with a cactus.

game 1: troll paladin. eat the barkeep because low on health, save the pixie wizard 10 minutes later. why not?

first time with DnD: halfling paladin. try and touch me. oh, right, evil dm. properly paranoid, and i still get a wild elf barbarian on my tail. solved. i've just learned the dm kept those two survivors alive in the fortress of elemental evil(3 weeks in game time). the barbarian player knows he's been possessed, and we know he's beastly. we suppose my paladin is alive and hiding (with enough trauma to make cthulu seem like puppyland). my guess? rogue guerilla. another guess? fallen paladin. another guess? crucified, tortured, mindraped, the works. i'm going into that fortress with the sole goal to give her sacred misericordus. yup, mercy-kill. you've fought hard, soldier. be at peace. pelor commend your soul.
another: i was so screwed i knew i was mere rounds from gruesome death. what do i do? stow weapons, raise fists triumphantly to the sky, raise middle fingers. yell a lot of insults to the boss. why? what could i do? i couldn't hurt it physically, might as well hurt the boss's feelings. (survived, though almost got turned into a demon)

1st time dm'ing: just realizing i'm the boss, and the halfling barbarian is thrown through a bunch of crates. *checks AC* "oh, whaddaya know, you absorb all damage:smallamused:". i'm rearranging the campaign so that instead of non-euclidian horror happening to the PC's, they get the laws of physics warped. i'm new, they're experienced, they're gonna get too close a look into my mind's workings. the rules have been thrown out, they are warned. rule of funny: activate.

but, if we're going in a more "roll with it" perspective, my friggin' chameleon skink character homebrewed in WHFRP. the birth of that campaign came from (like a lot of bad ideas) early morning and lots of alcohol. seeing dawn rise and a few bottles to finish, the dm, me and the other player decided on character concepts (rincewind, and a chameleon skink). drunk, it seemed fine. sobering up... :smalleek: <- face of the dm. we've unleashed a monster, and i will be typing up the full chronicle from my lizard's perspective on here, if only for you guys to see what a properly motivated loony can do in-character to a horror story just to survive for the sake of posterity. many lulz are always had, hope you'll have some too.

oh, and here is a concrete example:

warhammer: my lizard is trying to get hated enemy: gravity, and favored enemy: masonry. i swear, i hate physics.

the campaign finally relaunched, we're thrown in the deep end (keep in mind the dm is going on a grimdark bender). we're the sacrifices in a nurgle summoning/worshipping ritual (because our day HAS to be ruined).
everybody behaved awesomely, (including the apprentice mage doing 27 damage with a front kick to a cultist) except for me. highlights:

-struggling to break my chains for 6 rounds
-getting blown across a room so big it took me one round to land (whoooo! hang time!)
-hitting a wall hard enough to do 5 wounds worth
-hitting the ground hard enough to do 3 wounds worth
-falling next to a pseudodaemon, giving me one more insanity point and making me fail a terror check.
here, we go into full-blown tex avery mode. (so much for horror)
-i got so scared i climbed up a sheer wall, and ran on the ceiling screaming for my mommy (the mage). for roughly 40 meters upside down (go me failing terror checks, and acing agility tests)
-once i ace a mental strength test, i fail my agility test. remember road-runner cartoons? gravity asserted itself as soon as i wasn't out of my mind with fear. did i fall? yup. missed the elf. missed the ogre. didn't miss the ground (1 wound)
-get up, dust myself off, escape nurgle blood-barf from a bigwig, run away, pick up a rock to throw on a cultist... i hate physics. i barely miss my BS, the rock bounces on debris and goes right back into my face. (my dm just accepted the looney tunes aspect since everyone was laughing so hard by then). the fact that i was indignant in-character didn't help.

a bit later, we get into a room with a lot of boxes and barrels, and a bunch of enemies. the ogre tries to intimidate everyone. it works. all combat is stopped. i'm so out of my mind with fear (100. when i fail, it's all the way) i break open a barrel (i checked if i could hop in). in it is a liquid. in-character, i jump in (i like barrels, i hide in them, and it's a liquid! i can breathe it!)
-guess what? it's pretty darn good beer! and i can breathe it. unfortunately, i'm breathing the stuff. i fail two endurance tests (so i'm drunk as a skunkskink), and with a mental test, gather it's a good idea i get out.
-we ruled that my skink goes rainbow colored instead of its usual active camo when drunk. i get my head out of the barrel rainbow colored and singing.

credibility to a scary scenario: zero. everyone was in stitches. even me (although it was completely accidental on my part. rng's a cruel, if hilarious, master.

tl;dr: "screw it, time for plan b" should be my motto

MrLemon
2013-02-07, 03:12 PM
Nice thread.

My group recently escorted an air-convoy on our flying mounts. We actually suggested air travel to get there faster and avoid unnecessary trouble.
Consequently, a red dragon showed up for a feast, and while most of the party tries to safely land our protegee, my acrobatic fighter/rogue tries to attack the dragon.
Unsurprisingly, with no ranks in handle animal, and about 2 in ride, I can hardly reach the dragon in mid-flight. So...
Screw this, I think, if I get ON the dragon, my balance skill can keep me there for quite a while, while I'm only exposed to the dragons head.
Of course, I fail my ride-check to get into a suitable position to jump.
Screw this!
My jump works, barely, but I don't make the balance-check (it was a 2 or something) to hold on, and start to fall. I asked if I could ram one of my swords into the dragon, to stop my fall. It works and I get to hold on to my life for a bit longer.
Seeing that I can't evade him now, the dragon turns his head an roasts me.

Somehow, my PC survived the fight, even taking the beast down in the end.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-07, 03:41 PM
Somehow By DM Fiat, my PC survived the fight, even taking the beast down in the end.

FTFY!

tenletters

Force2Reckon
2013-02-07, 03:44 PM
avoid unnecessary trouble.
Consequently, a red dragon showed up for a feast

Seems the DM did not approve of this plan. :smalltongue:
I love hearing these stories, I'm always surprised by how much and how fast the GITP forums tends to get thread replies, love this kinda stuff xD!

mistformsquirrl
2013-02-07, 04:11 PM
Honestly I'm usually rather timid, so my closest example is pretty tame.

In a campaign I'm currently playing in my party came across a village under attack by a horde of demon-worshiping barbarians and their Rakshasa* overlord. After beating the snot out of some of the barbarians, my group comes across said overlord, it starts to talk, obviously planning to escape in the process...

... well my character happens to be a religious fanatic roughly of the same grade as the Sisters of Battle from WH40k... so rather than letting the Raksasa escape to become a recurring villain, I bumrushed him.

The entire party facepalmed, combat commenced, I nearly died.. but thanks to a timely heal from the bard and the ridiculous survivability of the Crusader class, I pulled through, ending up a mere 12hp down from my max (despite having nearly hit negatives at one point in the fight).

I still don't know if my party has forgiven me, but it worked! >.>

*This is an Eberron game so Rakshasa are demons, at least that's how it was explained to me.

Lord Torath
2013-02-07, 04:31 PM
Are Rakshasa still vulnerable to Blessed Crossbow bolts?

In 2nd Ed it was actually listed in the Bless spell description, so I tend to figure it's pretty common knowledge (assuming you can figure out you're facing a Rakshasa).

My story:
We were exploring a buried pyramid, and had come through a warded door as we entered a lower level. We had somewhat barricaded ourselves in a room from some nasty undead (ghouls and a ghast, and we were about 4th level). We were planning on fighting them on our terms after we rested. Then my character (a wizard) was on watch, and I saw the undead, one-at-a-time, look down the hall at us, grin, and then cross the hallway away from us. It suddenly occurred to us that we'd left the door open, and the undead were finally free to go up to the next level where there were lots of civilians. So we booked out of our fort, and narrowly avoided a TPK as we caught them in the middle of slaughtering civilians. The paralyzing touch was particularly nasty.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-07, 05:54 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm

"damage reduction 15/good and piercing"

So it's much more generic, now. Tons of ways to get good and piercing in the game, rather than just blessed crossbow bolts.

mistformsquirrl
2013-02-07, 07:43 PM
Yeah, or in my case I just used Foehammer a couple times as it came up; while the rest of the party used piercing attacks. (I mostly tanked it rather than doing actual damage)

Kane0
2013-02-07, 08:37 PM
I was DMing my group through a fairly standard dungeon (actually an overrun palace), they made their way through a room of Kython broodlings, a small team of monstrous humanoids and took down a young dragon, disarming traps and looting everything along the way.

When they went upstairs to the next storey they were confronted by a single, well armed and confident man lounging around on a pile of cushions. As soon as he saw them he leaped over a table in the way and charged them, but was brutally cut down in a single round (the dude was a pushover).

The three doors on the surrounding walls of the room were all locked and were protected by magic wards deactivated by command words. Nobody in the palace was stupid enough to say or have written down the word and they killed the guy with the key (that one guy) before anything else could happen so they were stuck waiting for whatever was on the other side of the doors to prep and either let them through or come out and stomp them.

They cursed their own efficiency. :smallbiggrin:

Force2Reckon
2013-02-07, 09:55 PM
... well my character happens to be a religious fanatic roughly of the same grade as the Sisters of Battle from WH40k...

I haven't done anything like this, BUT my DM was a fan of the big BBEG speeches, I had the turn right after the BBEG, so after the DM went on his pre record spiel for about 25/30 secs I said "I charge." DM looked at me and I said "What this guys been talking for the equivalent of almost 5 turns, at this point I'm sick of listening to him talk... I charge." Killed the BBEG who was supposed to be a recurring villain, my DM couldn't say no to me because he'd used a similar thing earlier :smallbiggrin: everyone at the table loved it.

I was DMing my group through a fairly standard dungeon (actually an overrun palace), they made their way through a room of Kython broodlings, a small team of monstrous humanoids and took down a young dragon, disarming traps and looting everything along the way.

When they went upstairs to the next storey they were confronted by a single, well armed and confident man lounging around on a pile of cushions. As soon as he saw them he leaped over a table in the way and charged them, but was brutally cut down in a single round (the dude was a pushover).

The three doors on the surrounding walls of the room were all locked and were protected by magic wards deactivated by command words. Nobody in the palace was stupid enough to say or have written down the word and they killed the guy with the key (that one guy) before anything else could happen so they were stuck waiting for whatever was on the other side of the doors to prep and either let them through or come out and stomp them.

They cursed their own efficiency. :smallbiggrin:

LOL!

Also two pages! O_O First time I've started a thread that got more than 5 posts this is awesome! :smallsmile:

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-07, 10:11 PM
Wait... you mean you give villains any chance at all to monologue?

What sort of players are in your games, sheesh!

NEVER LET THEM MONOLOGUE!

Kane0
2013-02-07, 10:20 PM
My best villains don't talk much, the monologue is for the advisor or lackey or whatever that is terrified and reveals everything or is too stupid to shut up.

HKR
2013-02-07, 10:23 PM
My rogue had one of those moments in our "Rise of the Runelords" campaign.

To reach the stronghold of the Thistletorp goblins, we had to fight our way through a maze of thorny undergrowth. There we got our asses handed to us by a goblin druid. We all failed our reflex saves against his entangle spell and took damage from those damn bushes all the time. It was pretty clear we couldn´t beat the guy on his home turf, but the radius of the entangle spell was just... huge. My character came to the conclusion that going out the same way we came in would take way too long and decided to jump into that ominous black hole in the ground which lead to a sea cave with some aquatic monster in it that almost killed him.

Doorhandle
2013-02-08, 12:49 AM

Ideally, they would fight and monologue at the same time.

Lvl45DM!
2013-02-08, 01:31 AM
I play a Cleric of Joramy who was taking on the High Priest of Iuz who butchered his home town. I could've played it smart with summons and save or dies. But instead I cast Protection From Fire, doused my self in 5 oils and lit myself on fire then tackled him. He Word of Recalled out but dammit if it wasn't satisfying to use that move

geeky_monkey
2013-02-08, 06:23 AM
I haven't done anything like this, BUT my DM was a fan of the big BBEG speeches, I had the turn right after the BBEG, so after the DM went on his pre record spiel for about 25/30 secs I said "I charge." DM looked at me and I said "What this guys been talking for the equivalent of almost 5 turns, at this point I'm sick of listening to him talk... I charge." Killed the BBEG who was supposed to be a recurring villain

I did the same thing a few sessions back.

We’d cleared out a 10 storey tower to look for a macguffin that could derail the plans of the BBEG.

We reached the top bloody and bruised to encounter the BBEG already there, holding the macguffin.

He started gloating, doing the standard bad guy speech about us being to slow.

At this point my dragonborn barbarian charged him, grappled him and carried on over the edge of the tower. I spent the entire fall headbutting and biting him, and for good measure used an acid breath attack on him just before we hit the ground. He mainly screamed.

Neither of us survived, but my party saved the day, killed the BBEG, recovered the (now useless) macguffin, and I got a burial fit for a hero. And the DM got into a right old huff as ‘6 months of planning’ had been ruined.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-08, 11:11 PM
Neither of us survived, but my party saved the day, killed the BBEG, recovered the (now useless) macguffin, and I got a burial fit for a hero. And the DM got into a right old huff as ‘6 months of planning’ had been ruined.

SO AWESOME!!

Marillion
2013-02-09, 12:12 AM
In 7th Sea, Pyryem is a powerful shapeshifting magic that's only available to the equivalent of the Russians. It's also a very well-kept secret; few people outside of Ussura even know of its existence, and fewer actually believe these rumours. All they know is that Ussurans are good at handling animals, and tend to have BRIGHT green eyes.

So there we were, our ragtag band of misfits in deep (DEEP) doodoo. We were trapped in a house with no way out, surrounded by the Lightning Guard, the elite personal guard of L'Empereur. Apparently, they don't like it when people kidnap/liberate the Queen. As the most (read: only) accomplished swordsman in our group, I did not fancy our chances. Yes, I was a match for any two of them, but there were rather more than two men bearing down on us. I'd been against this plan from the start, of course. I knew it would go wrong. It always does. This wasn't even the worst case scenario; at least the Queen had made it to safety. That said, I was prepared, nay, exultant to die while sticking it to L'Empereur. Dmitri had other plans.

Our Ussuran companion was a mysterious fellow. He did not allow anyone into his wagon, and though he was friendly enough, he never revealed any more about himself than he absolutely had to. We didn't even know he was married until we had rescued her from slavers that we'd spent the past month chasing. Five days after we rescued her. He mostly preferred to act through his exceedingly well-trained companions, a raven, a monkey, and the ugliest boar you've ever seen. We had suspicions that he, or the animals, were not what they seemed to be, but we could never prove anything.

Well, Dmitri heard the shouts of the Lightning Guard outside our haven. He smelled the fuel the Guard were about to use to burn us out. He saw the grim faces on his friends, prepared to die. He took all of this in, he looked around, and he said "Alright. Screw this. Get ready to run." He used his superior size to shove me away from the door. He flicked the beads in his hair.

And he transformed, rather quickly I think though I have no basis for comparison, into an enormous scaled beast with talons each the size of my hand, and teeth the size of my forearm. We'd had a run-in with one of these creatures, from which we barely escaped with our lives. This was the legendary, the fearsome, the terrible

"D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-DRACHEN!"

It smashed down the wall and began to tear through the dumbfounded guards, sending men flying like so much glass broken against a wall. The Lightning Guard momentarily broke before its might, which was all the opening we needed to make our escape. Running like Legion itself was howling at our backs (and it may as well have been), we scattered and individually made our way to our prearranged back-up safehouse. We arrived within minutes of each other. Dmitri, naturally, was the last to arrive. Before we can say anything, he answers all of our questions.

"Holy crap! Guys, did you see that Drachen!?"

Force2Reckon
2013-02-09, 01:22 AM

Ideally, they would fight and monologue at the same time.

Basically he was fighting and doing his "monologue" at the same time, for the most part the DM would spend each of his turns talking about how we would never stop this plan or that, but it was never more than a few seconds of talk as he planned out the guys actions or such. This time it was pretty painfully obvious that it was the "haha! I'm getting away this turn!" speech. Since the DM had done a similar thing to me, as I gave a speech to a bandit about being evil and covetous and some other **** I can't remember, than had the bandit charge me, I decided to be a copy cat.

Course when the bandit charged me he lost... :smalltongue:

HC Rainbow
2013-02-09, 06:33 AM
There was a moment in one of our campaigns where the dm made us fight a couple of seahags. Being a goliath barbarian I was not going to take any garbage from these (the rest of the party was in another room) so I picked up the hag and beat up the other one with its ally. Once one had died my party managed to dig a hole and we buried the (at the time) alive. She tried to run but I was having none of that. The dm was pretty upset we ruined her favorite monsters.

Malrone
2013-02-11, 09:05 AM
Sea Hags were their favorite monster? I always found them... a bit much. A CR4 with a passive "save or suck" and an active "save or die"?

Our DM used a module with them once without checking the entry beforehand. Everyone regretted it later.

Force2Reckon
2013-02-11, 12:19 PM
Speaking of, everyone knows Wights right? (LVL 2 game/3.5 E)
Me - Human Warlock
Korthra (Special K or just K) - Human Hexblade
Glitter - Elven Rogue
Jules - Halfling Cleric

We're stuck under a castle in some sort of, cellar, ish area, the Halfling isn't with us, she's chatting up the king. The room is a giant circle, with 4 bridges from equidistant points on the circles edge going in to a small platform in the middle of the circle. We all get there to the edge (me standing halfway there) and start arguing over who's going in, K says "Hey! What do these mean" To which our NPC wizard responds and... K pushes him into the circle. An iron wall falls and all we can hear are the screams of the dieing NPC. K decides he can take it, and charges in after the wall raises (there's a portcullis iron bar style gate in front of us). He ends up fighting 7 Wights, I try to help with ranged Eldritch Blasts but the gate is enchanted somehow. So I stick my hand through... it works, and now the eldritch blasts are on the other side of the gate. Long story short the Hexblade, with a few random shots in the dark from the eldritch blasts (forgot, magical darkness of some sort as well) pretty much solo's (at lvl 2) 7 Wights... the DM gave him 1000 exp...

Needless to say we didn't play with that DM again. We still play with him as a player but not as DM, he's a great RPer.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-19, 06:23 PM
Sea Hags were their favorite monster? I always found them... a bit much. A CR4 with a passive "save or suck" and an active "save or die"?

Our DM used a module with them once without checking the entry beforehand. Everyone regretted it later.

She toned them WAY down since there was only 3 of us, everyone else had something else to do that day. but Yes, it was pretty funny.

Kane0
2013-02-19, 10:35 PM
Me - Human Warlock
Korthra (Special K or just K) - Human Hexblade

Both a warlock and hexblade in one party? Those are my two favorite classes, sign me up!

DigoDragon
2013-03-03, 11:45 AM
Shadowrun 4e based "D**n it all!" moment:

Scene - The party was hired to catch and relocate some wild animals from a patch of woods that would become the site of a future mall. Easy job and it was going swell ... until we stumbled upon a kind of toxic shaman who apparently had a 20 point Negative quality "Hates Malls". :smallbiggrin:

A fight broke out quickly when the toxic shaman summoned three nasty toxic spirits at us before he fled the scene. The PhysAd, however, managed to shoot the toxic shaman in the shoulder before he was out of sight.
After the party killed off the toxic spirits (ugh) we gave chase to the shaman, following the trail of his blood. This led us to a remote cabin in the woods where the toxic shaman held a couple prisoner inside.

We try to come up with the best plan of "Get shaman without killing innocents", though honestly only half the party cared about them at this point. After a few minutes of not getting anywhere, my character (a young female Wiccan shaman) grabbed a shotgun (not proficient in this) and knocked on the front door.

Toxic shaman: "Who's there?"
Wiccan: "Excuse me, but my snow-mobile is nearly out of gas and I'm a little lost. Could I borrow a gallon of gas? Maybe get directions from you?"

The Toxic shaman thought a young lass in the woods made for a good 3rd prisoner and eagerly opened the front door. I beat him on the initiative test, drew the shotgun up to his face, and pulled the trigger.

After the GM calculated "non-proficiency" and "called shot" penalties, he declared I only had 1 die of edge to hit him with (game uses d6s). Since I've used Edge, any 6 I roll I can reroll it. On one die I rolled:

6, 6, 6, 5

Four hits.

His only defense is to dodge with his Reaction stat. He got no hits. So now he had to soak the full shotgun damage (11P) to the face. His head was unarmored so he only could roll his Body stat (3 dice).

No hits.

Both hostages were freed and the world is minus one toxic shaman. :smallbiggrin:

Sloshman997
2013-03-04, 12:03 AM
I've already posted this in the character death thread, but I was in a group of a Cleric, Wizard, Barbarian and Warblade(Me). We are all level 9 with me and the cleric being optimizers with me to a greater extent. The other three bumped into two wizards and their "bodyguards" and were question about mysterious circumstances of them being by a special sewer. After the cleric getting caught in a lie or two he blatantly admitted we had been in the sewer(a forbidden area) and at that note I decided to charge the "lead" wizard. One of the guards had readied and action to intercept my charge, I proceeded to crit and one shot him and then sudden leap next to the wizard. This is when the wizard and cleric decide to dimension door out, the barbarian refusing to abandon me in battle. He then charges the wizard and gets of some pitiful damage(bad rolls). Lead wizards turn (who we later find out is level 14) he proceeds to try to disintegrate me(casting defensively)and rolls a nat 1(thank the gods). The other wizard/warmage throws a lightning bolt at me and the barbarian takes some damage from the other bodyguard. We then eat a fireball from our wizard(didn't penetrate SR of either caster) and I killed the wizard. Ate a fireball from the Wizard/WM then cleaned up him and the fighter.

So myself and our barbarian essentially duo'd a 14th level wizard and a 13th level wizard/warmage and two fighters of some negligible level.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-04, 12:07 AM
So myself and our barbarian essentially duo'd a 14th level wizard and a 13th level wizard/warmage and two fighters of some negligible level.

Wow, sounds like your GM didn't know how to run truly intelligent wizards, haha...

Sloshman997
2013-03-04, 12:18 AM
Wow, sounds like your GM didn't know how to run truly intelligent wizards, haha...

Yea maybe, like I said though I almost got disintegrated and he was dead before his second action. And apparently the wizard/warmage was a poorly built NPC lol. The DM was very flustered by us not dying though. Once I had declared my charge he pretty much did a stereotypical "evil" laugh.

Darthteej
2013-03-04, 01:24 AM
I play a Cleric of Joramy who was taking on the High Priest of Iuz who butchered his home town. I could've played it smart with summons and save or dies. But instead I cast Protection From Fire, doused my self in 5 oils and lit myself on fire then tackled him. He Word of Recalled out but dammit if it wasn't satisfying to use that move

There's a second level cleric spell in the Spell Compendium called "Balor Nimbus."

6d6 points of fire damage while grappling.

Particularly hilarious when you're playing a halfling cleric of Desna, and your enemies are all making grapple checks to get you OFF of them.

Qwertystop
2013-03-05, 10:36 PM
This is WHY I'm doing it, they know it's coming, and they're all fine with it. Few limitations, like no stealing weapons/armor from other PC's. Also I'd just like to point out, my mom LOVED playing the Kender type characters back in her D&D days. No one ever complained to her, hell she had people ASK her to play a Kender style character. :smallcool: Thanks for the advice though!

A quick strict, dictionary definition of kleptomaniac (what I'm going off of):: Someone with an irrational urge to steal in the absence of an economic motive. Which the whole, in it for the challenge, is one type of kleptomaniac, they steal not for the money, but to prove they can. :smallbiggrin: I may go that route though, game starts tomorrow, just finishing up char creation (two new guys) and doing some intro stuff. I usually just go into it with a general "this is what I wanna do" and see how my mind works it out in actual RP, worked well for me so far.

I think it's best to note that when I say a curious kleptomaniac halfling thief, I mean that in the truest sense. In that my guy likes to steal things that may be useful, or he is curious about, for no reason. He will not have a compulsive "STEAL ALL TEH THINGS" disorder. Which is the Kender attitude that usually gets people frustrated with this style character. Plus, as I've mentioned above the PC's know it's coming, and if it comes down to it my DM has mentioned that he is not above smiting me with a god and forcing me to roll a new character if I go overboard. :smallsmile:

Wow that's an interesting text, reading it through it sounds almost like I'm frustrated. :smallfrown: I'm not I just realized that maybe I hadn't been clear that I'm not trying to play That Guy, I'm trying to rework the whole, stealing for stealing sake style.
I remember another thread that explained this well... Here's some excerpts:

Personally, I don't mind them.

See, here's the thing - most people do it wrong, and take actually useful items, and keep them. But if a Kender goes through a wizard's pockets, what is he going to take, that boring old valuable spellbook or the little beautiful mirror he uses to shave each morning? In a kender's mind there's no contest - I mean, look at that mirror, it's so shiny!

And Kenders rarely get to keep what they take often - they actively use it without remorse, because they don't understand they've done anything wrong. So they're most frequently caught withing moments.

Basically, a kender's thieving is a quirk, like a stutter. Just flavor. It should not be used to inconvenience the party or empower yourself - and if you can't think of it like that, you're going to have trouble playing kender.

One of our buddies, who hadn't actually read any of the dragonlance novels at the time, played a kender based off the description. One of the other group members had read a few of the novels, and spent many of the sessions laughing hysterically in the corner at how well the character was being played without having read most of the books.

I ended up writing a wall 'o text regarding this unique character.

Granted, we had the only Kender in the known history of the universe with JUST ENOUGH patience and talent (and a love of fire) to study wizardry. This meant that if he was bored there was a fairly even chance that he'd go looking for trouble in "classic" Kender mode OR he'd sit down on the ground and use illusions, produce flame, light etc. and work on his spellcasting. The way his attitude towards magic and the way he got his abilities wasn't quite Sorcerous enough to be a Sorcerer, the only accomodation we really had to make I believe was that his spellbook magically followed him around so he wouldn't forget it.

The idea was that generally speaking it's almost impossible to stop Kender from getting into whatever objects are immediately at hand, if there's a Wizard academy in the area and the Kender (1) stays in the area and (2) sees the apprentice Wizards conjuring fire as a form of practice and (3) considers Fire to be the ultimate shiny, he might figure out how to replicate what the Wizards were doing since Wizardry is by definition reproducible by anyone with enough practice. Once this conceptual barrier is crossed, the Kender has access to an ever-shinier set of shinies he knows that he can figure out how to create, at this point "forgetting" how to Wizard would be like "forgetting" how to pick pockets- Kender forget all sorts of things but they don't forget important and personally interesting knowledge (three billion stories about Uncle Trapspringer, for instance), nor do they forget "how" to pick pockets. The end result is a sort of combined "rule of funny" and "rule of kender" applied to magic, and somewhere in the multiverse it had to happen at least once.

The only real objection to a Kender Wizard is whether or not they have the ability to get over the first hurdle.

The DM was completely against this whole idea originally, but I guess someone convinced him to give it a trial session and that went off so well RP wise he couldn't bring himself to disallow it.

He didn't usually forget about fires he started and wander off to do something else because fire was the ultimate shiny for him, so we avoided most of the destruction you'd expect from a fire-focused character who was also a Kender. There were still hilarious shenanigans- rp and in combat, only now they could be magical too, which worked well with a caster-heavy campaign.

The only real downside to the character was the player found him so exhausting to play, doing it "right" required exorbitant amounts of coffee. Eventually he had to retire the character, but not before he developed a habit of flying towards interesting-looking places while on fire. He turned up in a much later campaign as a joke and then accidentally gained minor divinity when he flew over a large island chain during an auspicious ceremony and its inhabitants started worshiping the fire in the sky as a deity in its own right.

The character actually embodied the principles of fire perfectly- impetuous, unpredictable, volatile, potentially destructive, yet also a source of light and means of prolonging life, representing creativity, fearlessness, relentless cheerfulness, energy, and acquiring useful and useless knowledge of everything. And by everything, I mean EVERYTHING, including having been chucked out of or escaping from most of the upper and lower planes in the process of being curious about, for example "how Hellfire works" or

"what's actually IN the Sacred Book of Holy Fire? Is it different from regular fire? Can I make my fire holy fire? How holy is this fire? Oh hey, a holy tree of fire! Look, I was just borrowing the Sacred Book of Holy Fire, it's not the end of the world. It was just sitting there surrounded by angels who weren't even LOOKING at the fire. Also there were like fourteen of those neato exploding glyphs, but I disabled those so you don't have to worry about them hurting anyone. Can you talk to squirrels like my druid buddy? So being the guardian of the Sacred Book of Holy Fire must be pretty cool, can YOU tell me what's inside it? Well if you never looked how do you know it's the right book? Tell you what let me have it and I'll make a copy of it in case you ever lose the original, and I'll make a copy of that in case I lose the copy of the original, and then a couple copies so you can have them on hand for people to read while you guard the original book, and..."

*Insert the sound of a Kender being punted through the Celestial gates by an angry Solar*

If the character ever amasses enough power to grant spells, I imagine a CG base alignment granting Fire, Chaos, Travel, Luck, and Magic would be appropriate.

Note to self- that's actually a really sweet domain setup.

Sith_Happens
2013-03-06, 03:41 AM
Yea maybe, like I said though I almost got disintegrated and he was dead before his second action. And apparently the wizard/warmage was a poorly built NPC lol. The DM was very flustered by us not dying though. Once I had declared my charge he pretty much did a stereotypical "evil" laugh.

Well for one thing, the party's Wizard and Cleric thought to "Dimension Door out" because their buddy just pissed off two high-level Wizards, but the high-level Wizards didn't think to "Dimension Door out" (or use any sort of defensive buff) because there's a Warblade in their face? That's just plain suicidal.

tommhans
2013-03-12, 04:29 AM
Ah i remember some epic session, but one really sticks out as a damn it all moment, we were approaching a castle that was keeping an important prisoner, we had the choice between sneaking around the castle, disguising ourselves in or forcing ourselves in somehow. We decided to catapult ourselves over, because its that awesome.(me and two other from the party did it, one pussied out)

So ofc we rolled alot of saves, and ofc i managed to fumble on the landing so i broke my foot and lost alot of hp :P, so i was crippled for the encounters in there ^^

but didnt stop me from fighting. I killed one guard and also killed a monster(cant remember what he was but he had nice stats said the dm) that was inside there, he was running after one in the party inside a tower and i did a presdigation and lured the monster down to the bottom of the tower, which was filled with alcohol and other barrels, and me as a dragonborn wizard was to stubborn to get away so i waited until he was in the stairs, then i just used fire breathe and crawled out the door and closed it behind me, hearing screams and seeing fireworks out of the roof of the tower, a dragonborn never gives up even if he is crippled ^^