PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Racial inherited abilities vs. Items that give abilities

relytdan
2013-02-05, 06:55 PM
Question is this does the Racial abilities stack with item abilities that give the same effect?
IE: lets say I have a race that gives: +2 natural armor class and Belt of Priestly Might 6,000 gp, 1lb, - magic item compendium pg. 74 >+1 natural armor enhancement<, +2 str enhancement
I know that the items that give natural armor will not stack with other items that give natural armor but would stack with spells that give it depending on how it is given.
But do items and or spells for that matter stack with the racial ability for natural armor in any instances?

rollforeigninit
2013-02-05, 07:02 PM
The Natural Armor does stack with the belt because the Natural Armor Enhancement stacks with plain old Natural Armor.

FYI. If you get a Barkskin Spell or the like It works like this. " The enhancement bonus provided by barkskin stacks with the target’s natural armor bonus, but not with other enhancement bonuses to natural armor. A creature without natural armor has an effective natural armor bonus of +0."

relytdan
2013-02-06, 07:12 PM
ok lets asume we have a monster with multiple templates that give natural armor template 1 +2, template 2 +4, base creature +1 & an item that gives +2 enhancement natural armor for a total 9 natural armor - does this work?

rollforeigninit
2013-02-06, 07:14 PM
YOu Just just the highest "Natural Armor" value & then add the "Highest Natural Armor Enhancement" Bonus to it. UNLESS the template specifies otherwise. (Feral may do that, I'm AFB).

relytdan
2013-02-06, 09:13 PM
dragon mag. 313 pg. 94, half-minotaur states; natural armor bonus improves by +2
monsterous man 1 pg 146, half-dragon states; Natural armor improves by +4.
monsterous man 1 pg 148, half-fiend states; Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

so where all state they improve natural armor by X I presume that it does just that, the fiend just specificly states it stacks, I must assume where the wording is the same for the others they to do stack.

is that accurate?