PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Ipod

Traab
2013-02-05, 07:10 PM
Ok, so I got me an ipod classic for christmas, its awesome and I love it. I managed to figure out for myself how to upload my old mp3 player and transfer the songs onto the ipod, but what I would really like to do is figure out how to put the dvds I have onto there. Can anyone help me out with that? Do I need to download any specific programs to do this? Please, be as detailed as possible, I am a technological throwback and only sometimes stumble onto understanding things. :smalltongue:

Grinner
2013-02-05, 07:18 PM
You'll need some software to rip the video from the DVD. Try this list (www.lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools). I'm pretty sure that iPods use the MP4 format for video, so you'll probably need a converter for that.

Aedilred
2013-02-06, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that all transfers to iPod of any media are now through iTunes. I'm not a huge fan of the new iTunes - it's got a bit sprawling and superficial, but it's the best (and possibly only) way to do transfers. If you're transferring music I guess you've already had to use it.

The challenge is ripping the DVDs in the first place - see Grinner's list of options above. It apparently supports a few formats but the only common one it uses is indeed MP4, so make sure you get a ripper that supports MP4, or you'll have to convert again, which is both a pain and won't do the quality any favours. I'd hope you get a list of supported formats with the product documentation, but I suspect you actually don't. MP4 is almost certainly the way to go.

It seems as though you've already sorted out your music, but note that there are also a couple of music formats it won't play, so if buying from anywhere other than the iTunes store or ripping using a program other than iTunes just check it's a supported format (not, for instance, wma, which presented a problem for a lot of early iPod users).

Traab
2013-02-06, 05:32 PM
I actually used the windows media player. It didnt give me any real issues when I ripped the music off the cds and put them on my mp3 player, and then again when I ripped them off my mp3 player and transferred them to my ipod. (I had reformatted my computer at some point in between the two devices so lost my preexisting copies in the library lol. ) I didnt have the same luck trying it with my movies though. Which is why I came here. Im going to look through those players and see what one looks like it would work best for me. Thanks for the help guys.