PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help with a scythe build!

Alphasez
2013-02-05, 11:53 PM
Will be starting a new pathfinder campaign soon, and I had an idea for a character, but not quite sure on a few elements of it.. I've always wanted to play a scythe wielder, but it was always such a feat dump until Path Finder, that I've put it aside.

I mainly need assistance on choosing which martial class to lead it with. I keep going back and forth between fighter, and ranger. Ranger mainly for the skills. To break it down further, I plan on dipping into rogue for the skills (hide primarily), evasion, and SA damage, and want to take shadow dancer to 3rd or 4th as a PrC for HiPS and other fun stuff. I want to build this character as a silent hide in the shadows heavy hitter.

So if anyone could help with a primary class idea, and feat progression, I'd greatly appreciate it.

edit: to add to this, the core PF book, and ultimate books (Ultimate Combat) are all that are available.

Ravenica
2013-02-05, 11:54 PM
Hips isn't worth it in PF if your DM is playing it RAW

anacalgion
2013-02-06, 12:08 AM
So I apologize if this isn't useful, but if your GM is feeling open minded, I just put together a prestige class just like that (for stealthy hard hitting dexterous scythe wielding fighter type characters). If homebrew is an option I can help, otherwise I don't know how much support there is for shadow themed characters in PF only, but I haven't found much. Sorry.

Alphasez
2013-02-06, 12:10 AM
He's been known to homebrew a few things from time to time. I'd be interested in taking a look and bringing it up if it's what I had in mind. Thanks!

Alphasez
2013-02-06, 12:11 AM
Hips isn't worth it in PF if your DM is playing it RAW

Could you elaborate on why? I'm not all that familiar with 3.x anymore.. What's the difference?

Ravenica
2013-02-06, 12:21 AM
Doesn't work in complete darkness. You have to have an area of Dim Light within 10 ft for it to work...

Theres so many easier ways to get total concealment to allow for stealth in PF that a level dip for SD just isn't prudent for a minimal ability that can be invalidated by total darkness or prodigous use of light effects

Bearlock
2013-02-06, 12:52 AM
With your rogue levels try out the Scout Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/scout). Works well with a TH weapon style, you charge, you get to add SA. You move 10 ft, you get to add SA. Get a flanker, add SA.

Can't speak as to the Shadowdancer or HiPS, never bother with either to be honest.

Qc Storm
2013-02-06, 02:44 AM
If I recall, there is a feat in PF called Butterfly Sting. Which does something along the lines of forgoing a critical hit so that another teammate can benefit from it.

Example : Player 1 with Butterfly Sting confirms a crit. Instead of "using" this crit, he rolls normal damage. The next player to hit this monster would automatically have a free critical. That guy is you, with a 4x crit power attacking scythe.

Ask a critty person to take Butterfly Sting.

Dissonance
2013-02-06, 11:09 AM

always helpful on a crit build for a scythe, and it is extremely effective. However instead of asking another pc to take this feat and tax themselves, ask your DM if you can take the leadership feat and obtain a cohort that dual wields kukuri, (a 15-20 crit range) has two weapon fighting, and butterfly sting.

for class i would suggest fighter so will have excess feats that can be spent on the crit modifying feats to really take advantage of your constant criticals.

ericgrau
2013-02-06, 12:03 PM
You'll want something with high base damage to take advantage of the crit damage. So I'd go with a high strength smite-heavy paladin.

Pathfinder added a bunch of feats to help out crits and I wouldn't be surprised if there were easy ways to get extra rounds of smiting too, if the already augmented smite rules aren't enough for you.

A scythe can also be used to trip which then makes foes easier to hit and crits easier to confirm. Something to consider adding to the build if you have room for the feats, but it's not essential.

Some fighter levels may help with feats but it's a narrow focus, PF gives more feats and all the crit feats require a high level so you may have enough feats by then anyway.

Alphasez
2013-02-06, 03:22 PM
Excellent advice so far. Thanks for the heads up on Butterfly Sting, that would be devestating with a crit buddy. And I'll be sure to look into the scout archetype for my rogue levels.

Twilightwyrm
2013-02-06, 03:32 PM
If I recall, there is a feat in PF called Butterfly Sting. Which does something along the lines of forgoing a critical hit so that another teammate can benefit from it.

Example : Player 1 with Butterfly Sting confirms a crit. Instead of "using" this crit, he rolls normal damage. The next player to hit this monster would automatically have a free critical. That guy is you, with a 4x crit power attacking scythe.

And suddenly you and the rapier wielder became best friends.

Malroth
2013-02-06, 03:49 PM
I'd go for Magus but maybe thats the chrono trigger fan talking

Alphasez
2013-02-06, 06:16 PM
I'd go for Magus but maybe thats the chrono trigger fan talking

To you sir, respect.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-06, 10:15 PM
Well, it is actually a good idea to make the cohort / other PC that's supplying Butterfly Sting a Magus. They can, upon hitting level 5, make their blades keen as a swift action, making it super easy to reach that 15-20 threat range.

I realize you meant have the scythe wielder be a Magus, though, which unfortunately is a very bad idea...

OP: Don't dip rogue just for skills. Ranger has most of the same class skills, and traits are your friend, too. Fighter is a solid choice for class. Sohei Monk 6 would let you flurry with the scythe, I would not go further than Sohei 8 at most, though.... ditch to Fighter after that.

Eugenides
2013-02-06, 10:36 PM
Hold on a minute, there was a build from one of the Iron Chef games that was really promising looking, if gimmicky, lemme find it.

Here we go, from the Justiciar competition. If you look on page 6, you find:

Interesting crop this time around, and something I may be able to judge. The build I didn't have time to submit was a Factotum 8/Justiciar 10/Exemplar 2. The main gig was a combination of Martial Study (Sudden Leap), Improved Hogtie, Cunning Surge, and Death Blow. I'd be able to leap in, initiate a grapple, hog tie, and get off two nonlethal attacks against a helpless opponent. Then, Cunning Surge/Death Blow with a Quick Drawn scythe would allow a death attack with a Fort DC of (42+8d4) thanks to the scythe's high crit multiplier and maxed Knowledge Devotion.

Exemplar provided a competence bonus and the ability to take 10 on Knowledge checks as well as Use Rope, so I could consistently hit a 40+ on Use Rope. However, all the attention paid to the above meant my initial grapple checks were lacking, and the "criminal who hunts other criminals" fluff just came across very "Boondock Saints."

Derpldorf
2013-02-06, 11:19 PM
I made a fairly cool half elf synthisist summoner with the weapon master archetype that was fairly powerful with the scyth and really fun.