PDA

View Full Version : Putting ranks in cross-class trained-only skills [solved]

TuggyNE
2013-02-06, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure where, but somehow I got the idea that this was either frowned on, or outright illegal. However, I've never seen any rules to that effect, so any ideas on the source of that?

Edit: Jeff the Green and andromax appear to have answered this satisfactorily.

LTwerewolf
2013-02-06, 12:28 AM
No, otherwise there wouldn't be a such thing as cross class skills. Some DMs frown upon it, simply because that starts hurting the flavor of the class itself, but who is to say anyone but you should define your own character?

Lord_Gareth
2013-02-06, 12:30 AM
It's "frowned upon" because Elf Dilenette (Races of the Wild) or Jack of All Trades (CompAdv IIRC) can give you the same sort of benefit for the "low" cost of one feat instead of alllllll those skill points.

TuggyNE
2013-02-06, 02:17 AM
No, otherwise there wouldn't be a such thing as cross class skills. Some DMs frown upon it, simply because that starts hurting the flavor of the class itself, but who is to say anyone but you should define your own character?

Most cross-class skills aren't trained-only, so that doesn't directly apply.

It's "frowned upon" because Elf Dilenette (Races of the Wild) or Jack of All Trades (CompAdv IIRC) can give you the same sort of benefit for the "low" cost of one feat instead of alllllll those skill points.

Heh. Fair enough, I suppose.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-06, 03:43 AM
Maybe because in 3.0 UMD and Perform (?) weren't just trained only, they were restricted to a few classes. (I think. I only ever played 3.0 once, and that was an elven sorcerer that wore armor and mostly fired a longbow.)

andromax
2013-02-06, 03:48 AM
Maybe because in 3.0 UMD and Perform (?) weren't just trained only, they were restricted to a few classes. (I think. I only ever played 3.0 once, and that was an elven sorcerer that wore armor and mostly fired a longbow.)
Yep, Bard and Rogue only.
Tug: If you'd played any of the 3E video games you'd likely have gotten that impression.

HunterOfJello
2013-02-06, 04:16 AM
Throw in some backstory why the character happens to have such an odd skillset and you should be fine. Some classes get so many skill points that they need to start moving into trained-only skills just to not end up wasting their skill points.

TuggyNE
2013-02-06, 05:17 AM

Ah, that's probably the source of it, yeah. Thanks :smallsmile:

... also, wow, that makes my single-crossbow halfling ranger almost look good. :smalltongue: