PDA

View Full Version : Primate races in D&D?

Asmodai
2013-02-06, 10:02 AM
Hi folks, i'm new here, but since i've been lurking for quite a while i had a question that i was hoping you might be able to help me with.

I'm looking for intelligent primate races (gorillas ideally, other options are nice) from all the editions of D&D. They would most likely be used as a PC and a NPC culture. All the settings and editions are fine, and if possible a short description or at least sources to find more about them would be brilliant.

For bonus points, where would they fit into Eberron?

Ravens_cry
2013-02-06, 10:06 AM
Well, there is at least one an obvious choice. It's even in Core!:smalltongue:

Shloogorgh
2013-02-06, 10:12 AM
The Hadozee from Stormwrack are PC race gorillas with a touch of flying squirrel

Asmodai
2013-02-06, 10:23 AM
Well, there is at least one an obvious choice. It's even in Core!:smalltongue:

I was wondering how long it would take for that :smallsigh:. Are humans and demihumans primates in D&D, anyway?

Ravens_cry
2013-02-06, 10:46 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for that :smallsigh:. Are humans and demihumans primates in D&D, anyway?
Humans still have the primate features Real Life™ humans do in pretty much any D&D game I could think of. Whether humans were created whole cloth or evolved from apes depends on the setting.

Siltharon
2013-02-06, 10:54 AM
Vanara from Oriental Adventures. With the Dragon Magazine updates they are a decent race. If you consider them too weak then just leave the update out and you got a race with 2 boni and 1 malus.

Otherwise yeah Hadozee pretty much. They are even similar to Gorillas and have no la so would be perfect. If you don't like the flying flavour just remove it and add another small bonus.

edit.: Probably give the Hadozee the climbing abilities of a Vanara instead of the Gliding? But also depends on how much you want to emphasize the race upon climbing since Gorillas don't climb that much.

onemorelurker
2013-02-06, 10:55 AM
Savage Species has rules for anthropomorphizing any animal so it can be used as a PC race. Baboons are the only primate example they give, as far as I remember, but there's no reason you couldn't do it to whatever other apes are kicking around in various supplements.

Deaxsa
2013-02-06, 11:36 AM
Vanara from Oriental Adventures. With the Dragon Magazine updates they are a decent race. If you consider them too weak then just leave the update out and you got a race with 2 boni and 1 malus.

Otherwise yeah Hadozee pretty much. They are even similar to Gorillas and have no la so would be perfect. If you don't like the flying flavour just remove it and add another small bonus.

edit.: Probably give the Hadozee the climbing abilities of a Vanara instead of the Gliding? But also depends on how much you want to emphasize the race upon climbing since Gorillas don't climb that much.

speaking of Vanaras, i find that the pathfinder vanaras (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-vanaras) are way cooler, use them if you can.

Telonius
2013-02-06, 11:38 AM
Frostburn has stats on Neanderthals; not sure if that counts as "primate" enough.

Darius Kane
2013-02-06, 12:44 PM
I second the human.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-06, 01:01 PM
The Hadozee from Stormwrack are PC race gorillas with a touch of flying squirrel

I always thought of them more as orangutans. But yeah, seconded-- Hadozee are great.

Palanan
2013-02-06, 01:23 PM
You might also look at the Green Apes from Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene. They're larger than gorillas, with a family-based society and the ability to speak a limited version of Sylvan.

They're actually a better-designed primate than most: tough, intelligent, fiercely protective of their families...and they have quite an interesting breath weapon, too. Definitely worth a look.

Greenish
2013-02-06, 04:29 PM
For bonus points, where would they fit into Eberron?Anything can lurk in Xen'drik, though Sarlona might also be interesting (being the birthplace of human race). Syrkarn (south-west Sarlona) could certainly house many primates.

mawexzon
2013-02-06, 04:42 PM
In Eberron you can find humans pretty everywhere, but almost only adventurers on the most exotic places (Argonessen, Xen'drik, etc)

Asmodai
2013-02-06, 05:19 PM
:annoyed: Seriously, enough with the humans :P

Thanks for the other suggestions. Is there anything from Spelljammer or Planescape?

Thrice Dead Cat
2013-02-06, 07:42 PM
What about Half-elves and half-orcs?:smalltongue:

My memory is fuzzy, but I want to say the one gorilla-like Spelljammer race had a bunch of racial hit dice when it was updated in Dragon.

EDIT: After some digging, it appears that the Grommam weren't updated officially anywhere, and the few fan conversions are to 3.0 instead of 3.5.

Venger
2013-02-06, 08:55 PM
Frostburn has stats on Neanderthals; not sure if that counts as "primate" enough.

yep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal) they are indeed in the primate order, like we homo sapiens are.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-06, 08:57 PM
Orcs after 2nd edition certainly temd to look very primatish.