PDA

View Full Version : To prestige or not to prestige

Ranting Fool
2013-02-06, 04:20 PM
Hi there playground, a Duskblade player has a question for me and I'm not sure of a good answer so I thought I'd ask you

"As a Duskblade level 13 what would be a good prestige class that keeps most of the spell casting and base attack but adds new toys?" :smallbiggrin:

Cheers

Daftendirekt
2013-02-06, 04:24 PM
Assuming he's not ALREADY 13th level and still has time to acquire prerequisites, Jade Phoenix Mage from the Tome of Battle could be a lot of fun. Full BAB, 8/10 casting progression, Desert Wind/Devoted Spirit maneuvers, the ability to expend spells/spell slots to get bonuses to hit and damage, and other very fun abilities.

skycycle blues
2013-02-06, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure if any Duskblade spells actually reap the major class benefits, but there's Abjurant Champion, an always sweet class.

I've heard there are ways to get Haste onto the Duskblade spell list, (but don't ask me how). If you can figure that out, there's Swiftblade.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-06, 04:38 PM
I've heard there are ways to get Haste onto the Duskblade spell list, (but don't ask me how). If you can figure that out, there's Swiftblade.

Arcane Disciple. I know there's at least one domain that has Haste on it. Celerity? Time? Also, here's a link for the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327&dcmp=ILC-RSSDND), OP.

nedz
2013-02-06, 05:57 PM
The Celerity and Time domains grant Haste.

Alienist
2013-02-06, 06:12 PM
Check with your DM. By RAW Arcane Disciple (due to its restriction) won't get you in (due to the special line of Swiftblade requirements). It's not clear whether this is RAI, so your DM may be lenient.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-02-06, 07:47 PM
Check with your DM. By RAW Arcane Disciple (due to its restriction) won't get you in (due to the special line of Swiftblade requirements). It's not clear whether this is RAI, so your DM may be lenient.

Sorry, I looked at both the arcane disciple text and the swiftblade text and can't see why it doesn't work by RAW. Can you please explain to me why it doesn't work?

HunterOfJello
2013-02-06, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I looked at both the arcane disciple text and the swiftblade text and can't see why it doesn't work by RAW. Can you please explain to me why it doesn't work?

I believe that the problem between the two would occur between the Swiftblade prerequisite of:

Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level spell slots to exclusively cast haste.

and

ARCANE DISCIPLE [GENERAL]
Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level.

Swiftblade requires you to use Haste in ALL of your 3rd level spells slots. Arcane Disciple only lets you cast Haste once per day.

You could exclusively cast Haste and then never use any of your other 3rd level spells per day on that day, but that's against what Swiftblade states.

Talionis
2013-02-06, 08:06 PM
Sandshaper from sandstorm, will add a considerable number of spells to your spell list. Some of the desert healing abilities are pretty nice too.

nedz
2013-02-06, 09:36 PM
Swiftblade requires you to use Haste in ALL of your 3rd level spells slots. Arcane Disciple only lets you cast Haste once per day.

You could utilise Bestow Curse, or some other means, to reduce your Level 3 slots to just 1. After you enter Swiftblade you get the curse removed.

Coidzor
2013-02-06, 09:43 PM
I believe that the problem between the two would occur between the Swiftblade prerequisite of:

and

You could exclusively cast Haste and then never use any of your other 3rd level spells per day on that day, but that's against what Swiftblade states.

The text requires you to exclusively *cast* Haste, not exclusively prepare Haste and Duskblades don't prepare anyway.

Your reading would require a player to never end the day with unexpended 3rd level spells in order to be eligible for the PrC.

The only problem I see is with things like Arcane Strike, really.

Psyren
2013-02-06, 10:23 PM
As above, you just need 1 3rd-level spell/day, which you use on your AD spell. Curse your casting stat down to 13 to accomplish this.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-06, 11:59 PM
I will second Abjurant Champion being a very useful PrC. Not sure if it is 100% useful for duskblade, as opposed to more duskblade, since the duskblade armoured casting runs counter to some of the AbjChamp stuff, same BAB for both, bad Fort, possible swift action conflicts, and the like.