PDA

View Full Version : Playing a construct

Raunchel
2013-02-06, 04:24 PM
Hello everybody!

Recently I got an idea for a character, but I have no idea how to do it within the rules. The basic concept is a young lady who fell ill and nothing could be done about it. Her family wanted to pay a lot of money to save her and found someone who would do it. This person transplanted the young lady's consiousness to a constructed body(made from stone, metal or the like). Of course she didn't age physically but had an amazing mental development(I want her to be something like a bard). We start play at level 8, so LA shouldn't be much of a problem.

So, that is the basic idea, but the only 3.5 templates etc. that I can find have a negative to the mental stats. Does anyone have an idea how I could play this character?

DonDuckie
2013-02-06, 04:30 PM
How about plain warforged with the same background/story?

I think there's a half-golem template somewhere, but it comes with a chance of losing your mind, but that may not be relevant if you start out with it.

Raunchel
2013-02-06, 04:45 PM
The problem with warforged is the -2 to charisma, which I am trying to avoid because I like charisma a lot.

DonDuckie
2013-02-06, 04:52 PM
That's fair...

but being turned in to a construct from something else, will most likely alter the way people react to you in a negative... ergo: -2 charisma is perfectly in line with your story.

A story like the one you want should (IMO) come with some numerical effects for your character.

Maybe talk to your DM about making a pretty (no -2 cha), but clumsy(-2 dex) warforged, "because she lost some sense of balance in the change, but she's still just as funny..."

Deaxsa
2013-02-06, 05:15 PM
The problem with warforged is the -2 to charisma, which I am trying to avoid because I like charisma a lot.

i like people with charisma too :smalltongue:

i would just use a golem's base stats, bring them WAAAY down, make her medium size, you know, the normal doctoring that occurs.

Deadline
2013-02-06, 05:21 PM
What about a warforged with a template that grants bonus Charisma?

I know the Half-fey template would work, are there any other LA 2 or so templates that give at least +2 Cha?

Urpriest
2013-02-06, 05:24 PM
i like people with charisma too :smalltongue:

i would just use a golem's base stats, bring them WAAAY down, make her medium size, you know, the normal doctoring that occurs.

...so basically, nothing like a golem. So essentially you're saying to just make up the stats...which is what the OP is asking for help about.

Anyway: -2 Cha is not a huge loss. There are a couple templates around that raise Cha but lower other scores, Magic-Blooded could be interesting for example.

Greenish
2013-02-06, 05:28 PM
Anyway: -2 Cha is not a huge loss. There are a couple templates around that raise Cha but lower other scores, Magic-Blooded could be interesting for example.Warforged also "age" up to middle-aged, which is +1 to mental scores, but -1 to physical ones.

Annos
2013-02-06, 05:32 PM
Why not reverse the inarcate construct template?

Feralventas
2013-02-06, 05:35 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/android

Ask your DM to switch the +2 to Dex and the -2 to Cha around, since you'll be playing a human in mind, but couldn't adjust as easily to your new form in terms of dexterity and control. After that the rest should work fine.

Gildedragon
2013-02-06, 05:39 PM
or talk with your DM and "reincarnate" your character into a construct. pay for the price of a reincarnate or the within-one-round version, and the one level and voila. you have a warforged without mental penalties.

Ravenica
2013-02-06, 05:44 PM
if you were playing Pathfinder I'd suggest a soulbound doll

might require some work with the DM to convert it but it could still be a good option

Venger
2013-02-07, 11:48 PM
Hello everybody!

Recently I got an idea for a character, but I have no idea how to do it within the rules. The basic concept is a young lady who fell ill and nothing could be done about it. Her family wanted to pay a lot of money to save her and found someone who would do it. This person transplanted the young lady's consiousness to a constructed body(made from stone, metal or the like). Of course she didn't age physically but had an amazing mental development(I want her to be something like a bard). We start play at level 8, so LA shouldn't be much of a problem.

So, that is the basic idea, but the only 3.5 templates etc. that I can find have a negative to the mental stats. Does anyone have an idea how I could play this character?

do you have any interest in green star adept? it's a prestige class in complete arcane that eventually turns you into a beautiful green statue of yourself. you become immortal and eternal and gain the construct type as the capstone. as you level up, you gain construct-like abilities (resistance and eventual immunity to crits, sneak attacks, stunning, etc)

it's not the best class, but it doesn't sound like optimization is your goal.