PDA

View Full Version : DM map drawing

tim01300
2013-02-06, 05:46 PM
Do you guys have any tips for drawing maps? I am using the massive wet erase battlemat that is like 48 squares by 38 or something. http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dmxp/20120209 Had some nice tips but I am still pretty terrible at trees and making outdoor terrain interesting. My players are entering a haunted woods type area tomorrow but I have just some ugly green circles going on.
Didn't know if you guys had any helpful experience.

Deaxsa
2013-02-06, 06:09 PM
well, i have two modes of maps. the one is where i get a peice of graph papers, and every square is 5x5. it's pretty spartan. i might use colored pens for the environment, but never for the players, so it's pretty bland. on the other hand, i've used large square pieces of white-erase board which fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, and which you can write on in any color of white-erase marker to represent different things. the thing even has a grid, which is the perfect size for minis. oh, and the pre-drawn maps that come in modules, but i'm not a very big fan of modules in the first place. (as a DM or player)

thethird
2013-02-06, 06:11 PM
I took an exceel sheet and made it composed of really tiny squares and then zoomed out. I color them as needed. I also add some notes at some squares if I need to identify something fast or past an image over it.

(The tiny squares is so I can draw roads or rivers without much trouble)