PDA

View Full Version : Armor of Attack

Scribble
2013-02-06, 07:28 PM
Does there exist any armor ehancements or some set of specific magic armor that increases your attack?

You'd think there would be like a reverse Defending enhancement for armors.

almightycoma
2013-02-06, 11:45 PM
well its not exactly the armor giving the bonus but putting defending on armor spikes then boosting their enhancement bonus with greater/magic weapon works pretty well. for extra cheese use the same tactic on spiked gauntlets and shield spikes.

TuggyNE
2013-02-06, 11:54 PM
I'm not sure I've ever heard of an armor special that does this. Odd, when you think about it.

Of course, you could use general custom item guidelines to add a special ability (+insight to attack, or whatever) in a non-customary slot, but that requires DM approval.

Curmudgeon
2013-02-07, 02:59 AM
well its not exactly the armor giving the bonus but putting defending on armor spikes then boosting their enhancement bonus with greater/magic weapon works pretty well.
Actually, that doesn't work at all. It pays to read the fine print.
A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others.

Morcleon
2013-02-07, 03:07 AM

And then immediately afterward...

As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.

I would presume that the usage of "sword" was either an oversight or flavor-text. Things like keen specify a certain weapon type that can it can be used on; defending does not. :smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2013-02-07, 03:34 AM

Yes, Curmudgeon, we all know that maces, scythes, quarterstaffs, and spears, to name but a few, cannot have the Defending special ability added by strict RAW.

I venture to suppose, however, that ~95% of DMs houserule that away without even noticing, because the apparent RAI/RACSD is so painfully clear.

Kane0
2013-02-07, 04:54 AM
Spiked armor + spiked shield, then bullrush or bodyslam?

HunterOfJello
2013-02-07, 05:56 AM
Mithral full plate of speed lets you use Haste for 10 rounds per day. That will improve your attack by +1 and give you an iterative attack.

*edits*

The Speed enhancement from the MiC also gives you Haste for 1 round up to 3 times per day. It's only 6000gp to add to armor, so it could be useful at times.

Tigerskin Armor gives you the ability 1/day to gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity for 9 minutes. Assuming you have Weapon Finesse (and don't already have that high of a enhancement bonus to dexterity) it would increase your attack.

Darrin
2013-02-07, 07:39 AM
Hmm. The only armor property I can find that gives an attack bonus is Vengeful (+1 enhancement, Secrets of Sarlona p. 137). You get a +2 morale bonus on attacks/damage and +1 vs. saves against anyone that damaged you or targeted you with a harmful effect since your last turn. The armor has to be made of Sentira, though... same cost and properties of mithral, except it's non-metallic. Not so useful if you're already getting morale bonuses from somewhere else (inspire courage, bless, etc.).

TuggyNE
2013-02-07, 09:17 AM
Hmm. The only armor property I can find that gives an attack bonus is Vengeful (+1 enhancement, Secrets of Sarlona p. 137). You get a +2 morale bonus on attacks/damage and +1 vs. saves against anyone that damaged you or targeted you with a harmful effect since your last turn. The armor has to be made of Sentira, though... same cost and properties of mithral, except it's non-metallic. Not so useful if you're already getting morale bonuses from somewhere else (inspire courage, bless, etc.).

That is remarkably niche. Man.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-07, 09:21 AM
Mithral full plate of speed lets you use Haste for 10 rounds per day. That will improve your attack by +1 and give you an iterative attack.

Note: Haste does not give you an iterative attack, it gives you a bonus attack at your highest attack bonus (when taking a full attack).

herrhauptmann
2013-02-07, 11:56 AM
And then immediately afterward...

I would presume that the usage of "sword" was either an oversight or flavor-text. Things like keen specify a certain weapon type that can it can be used on; defending does not. :smallsmile:

The intention was probably that you only get the Defending benefit from the weapon you're actually attacking with. So to use your defending armor spikes, you'd have to hip-check someone.
But, they never actually said so. So now you get +5 defending armor spikes, and spiked gauntlets, and floating spiked shields with +5 defending on the spikes.
Pathfinder DID go that particular route, where you have to USE the defending weapon to get the bonus.

Diarmuid
2013-02-07, 02:34 PM
While I agree that the whole defending on anything that can be a weapon is going a bit far, the "must use it to get bonus" seems like it might be going a bit far in the other direction.

We have a character in our RL game who has a +2 Flaming, Defending Light Hammer and he dual wields that with a magical Rapier.

On turns where he has to move or otherwise cannot take a full attack that hammer is still a viable option to make attacks of opportunity with and he's still getting defensive bonuses from Two Weapon Defense. Not allowing him to get the defensive benefit seems too harsh IMO.

I think a better balancing ruling would be to either name the type of AC bonus so that it wouldnt stack with itself or just stipulate that you can only benefit from a single Defending weapon in any given round.