PDA

View Full Version : [IC] world's transformation miscellanea

MageofMystra
2013-02-06, 09:39 PM
world's second transformation, IC

This is the IC thread for world's transformation. Events not too important to the campaign, skill or otherwise challenges, and other things that might clog up the OOC thread and require dice rolls might take place here.

Take me back to the OOC thread! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239819)

MageofMystra
2013-02-06, 09:40 PM
SKILL CHALLENGE!
Open-Minded

Reward: gain the Open-Minded feat as a bonus feat, as one of your two free bonuses.

Who is eligible: anybody may partake, but from what I understand, Garruk is particularly interested.

Challenge: to complete six different mini-skill challenges. Passing a Speak Language challenge counts as two. You may only allocate points from the feat into skills in which you performed a challenge.

Most challenges comprise of 3 skill checks, each at DC 9-13. You usually only need to succeed in 1 or 2. Speak Language is the exception, and requires more brainwork. Many challenges can be re-attempted at a later time. Magic enhancements, and masterwork tools are not allowed.

Context: There is relative openness in Zer-de-Grere with respect to one's trade and skills. Every year, a week is dedicated to skills; this is usually called “Skills Week”, appropriately enough. Though most visitors would find it hard to notice, during this time, adults and children alike indulge in trying out and practicing new or unusual skills, or teaching others their own abilities. Participating in Skills Week annually is a tradition for young boys of the region, and one would be considered strange to opt to not participate, especially while young. Many young children discover their talents and passions during the week.

While it is not Skills Week at Zer-de-Grere at the moment (not, in fact, for another month or so), with a bit of spare time in Zer-de-Grere (for reasons outlined elsewhere), you decide that it might be interesting to try partaking in the tradition, and trying out five to six new skills, and placing yourself small challenges to mark your progress. If you try enough different things, maybe you'll discover a new talent, or learn a new skill!

--

Garruk finds himself outside the Slooping Knight tavern. It has been about two or three hours after Higrel's impromptu party. Cleaning up the mess was quite tiring. The sun looks like it might set in one or two hours.

In all likelihood, he will have at the very least two days in Zer-de-Grere while the Sanguine Order performs further investigations and does information digging.

With this notion of making his very own Skills Week in mind, what does Garruk do?

Fable Wright
2013-02-06, 10:28 PM
Garruk sighs and puts his hands in his pockets. He was still rather bloodied from the fight, and his Healing Belt once again proved to be a rather invaluable investment. Still, he had time to kill, and there was the issue of what to do with Orc 4. Arianne wanted to kill him, Thom wanted to drag him around, Mercury wanted to probably experiment him until his dying breath, and no one bothered to take the time to learn what Orc 4 wanted to do, or tried to bargain with him or even hire a translator.

Actually, learning how to communicate with Orc 4 would be a good way to kill time, and maybe even find him an ally. Who knows? Strolling back to the tavern he helped clean up, Garruk goes down to the Sanguine Order's basement, where Orc 4 was languishing while the group tried to figure out what to do with him.

-------

In the basement, Garruk sits down across from Orc 4. He leans in close, hoping to convey a air of confidence between him and the sitting orc. "I know you don't understand me, but I hope you understand this. I want to learn how to talk to you, so we can finally figure out what to do with you. Hopefully, we can find some way to communicate." Looking at the orc's blank expression, Garruk looks around and picks up a nearby shield, putting it between him and Orc 4. He points to it, then to himself, and then opens and closes his hand, thumping his outstretched thumb against the other four outstretched fingers on his hands, pantomiming a mouth moving up and down. He then says "Shield." The then repeats the process, pointing at the shield, then at Orc 4, and then pantomiming the mouth again, and looks at the Orc expectantly.

MageofMystra
2013-02-07, 03:50 PM
The sudden language tutoring in the middle of the Sanguine "base" earns a few odd looks. Some of them who apparently knew small scraps of orcish seem to chime in or help for short periods of time. One runs off to rummage for something, seeming to remember owning a tiny orcish phrasebook from/for a trip to Stranlungom before its uprising.

Orc 4 looks a bit perplexed at first, but eventually figures out what you're talking about. In response, he says what would seem to be the orcish word for shield. After a few repetitions of this, he seems to figure out that you want him to repeat "shield."

The Orc figures out the word "shield" soon enough.

This process may take a long time.

--

Roll three checks, of either Intelligence or Charisma. Each is DC 11. If you succeed in two or more, you may establish a system of very rudimentary communication. If you do not, then you've wasted about a day, and will probably have to go at it a different way.

Fable Wright
2013-02-07, 04:57 PM
Post based on the results of the roll incoming.

Also note, Garruk was intending to just learn the Orcish word for shield, not get the orc to say "Shield."

Int checks: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

AP roll, if necessary and if we level up after the fight:
[roll3]

MageofMystra
2013-02-07, 05:00 PM
Whoopsies. Well, I guess the Orc didn't interpret it properly, and now knows how to say Shield.

--

Garruk continues attempting communication with the orc. A sanguine returns with an old phrasebook. Many of the pages look like they were torn out of something else and simply fastened to the other ones.

After turning in for the night, he returns to work in the morning. The time is extraordinarily successful, and Garruk establishes a basic system of communication before lunch.

Fable Wright
2013-02-07, 05:12 PM
After establishing the word for "shield," Garruk goes on, learning the Orcish name for other objects lying around, and later actions and other things that he could conjure up with his Silent Image ability, with some help from the other people around the Sanguine Order outpost. After a time, he works up to using sentences to communicate. First, just banal stuff, like Orc 4's real name and establishing his class (Fighter (learn-sword), Barbarian (rage-sword), or Warblade (skill-sword), or something else), but as they build up their conversation, Garruk tries to think of something to talk about. Remembering something he read in the Paragnostic library about Westmarch flora and fauna, Garruk asks about the kind of wildlife living in Orc 4's homeland, trying to match the descriptions of the animals Orc 4 pantomimes/describes to what he read about in the Library, trying to learn as much as he can about the Westmarch Flora/Fauna.

Knowledge (Nature) checks (ignore any extra checks if you don't need them):
[roll0]+6
[roll1]+6
[roll2]+6

MageofMystra
2013-02-07, 05:25 PM
As the discussion about flora and fauna continues, it becomes more and more evident to Garruk to Orc 4 has never been to Westmarch or the Eastern Marches. Nevertheless, after the conversation, Garruk's vocabulary and knowledge has been enriched.

Which is to say, he succeeded in the Knowledge challenge.

Fable Wright
2013-02-07, 05:45 PM
(What... What is Orc 4's real name and class? Garruk asked about it in the language challenge, but that's never been revealed...)

Slightly disheartened that Orc 4 has never been to the Westmarched, Garruk continues his discussion about something he knows Orc 4 has intel on: Fighting against different people. He speaks with Orc 4 about how Elves and humans fight and how to take them down, and then after the conversation drifts around and talks to the people in the Sanguine Order about their experiences hunting undead and fighting other beasts, and even goes upstairs to the bar to hear other people's tall tales and other stories, and generally collect stories.

MageofMystra
2013-02-07, 06:06 PM
Whoops again. Orc 4's real name is "Odak", and he seems to be a 1st level warrior.

--

The afternoon and evening melt away in a flash as Garruk coaxes stories out of Odak, the Sanguines, and the Tavern. In them, he seems to hear about every variety of creature, every matter of area, and every sort of confrontation.

Roll 3 checks of either Gather Information, Perform, or Diplomacy. If you spend 5 gold (buying drinks and the like), you gain a +2 circumstance bonus for it. Checks are DC 10, and you require two successes.

Fable Wright
2013-02-07, 06:23 PM
...Charisma, my one dump stat. No chance to roll listen instead? (Or go 5 more gp into debt with the Witch Hunter we came in with for the Circumstance bonus?)

[roll0]-1
[roll1]-1
[roll2]-1

AP, if needed: [roll3]

EDIT: ...I can't believe that actually worked without circumstance bonuses or AP. Just for the record, my dice rolling will be horrendous in the near future, if this is anything to go by.

MageofMystra
2013-02-07, 06:37 PM
Righto, challenge completed! Garruk gets the benefit of the Open Minded feat, and for the sake of convenience, either before or after his level-up.

MageofMystra
2013-02-27, 04:30 PM
Since apparently I'm going to have to take initiative:

PbP Section, Begin!
After the thorough disappointment of the fiat-powered wall, the party returns to Zer-de-Grere after four days of uneventful travel. City security was notably higher while re-entering, but you sped through thanks to Harvey, who appears to be known by the guards (even if he doesn't know them back.)

A day of recuperation passes.

You find yourselves back in your usual spot of the Slooping Knight. The seeds of an odd idea sprouted—ones that had been slowly tended over the last five days. Soon enough, you find yourselves about a table in the basement over lunch. An idea slowly came into being over soup—and it sprung into the world, fully mature, as the last of the fruit was taken.

The idea was a heist.

The heist would be upon the Synkale family and their manor, to steal their key. With that key, you could proceed through Fire Giant Cave, and reach the bottom—the mystical Pool of Truth alluded to by the ancient abbot.

But there were caveats.

As the lights in the room made a slight flicker, one of you began: “But who are the Synkales?” (or words to that effect.) And the problem soon emerged: that that was a very good question. Who were the Synkales? What did they do? Where did they live?

And one soon answered, reasonably savvy in the area: that the Synkales were an ancient family, with roots in both aristocracy and adventuring. Word had come that they had aligned themselves heavily with the Order of St. Farza.

Then the next problem emerged. This wasn't going to be as simple as walking in and walking out.

You had to gather information, and you had to formulate a plan.

The last of the fruit was finished long ago, and the final sips of drink were being drained. There it was, a simple sheet with a list of what had to be done. You figured out who would do each. After that was decided, the sheet would be burned, and the ashes spread. You each left the table, one by one.

And so however slowly, the heist had begun.

--

Each of you are either outside the Slooping Knight, still in it, or a few minutes walk away. What do you do?

taildragger
2013-02-27, 06:01 PM
So there I sat, depraved of sleep, upon the uncomfortably wide stool of the Slooping Knight. My fingers interlocked, and locking Callaghan in turn- and tightening with every and each one of his remarks. I was choking not so much on the smoke of the emberin' tobacco clumsily stuffed in the hin-turned-pipe's bowl, much as I did on the sleek wooden frames of my second conscience himself. Try though I did, I found it hard to think clearly, and staring out the window only had me wishing it were evening, had me wishing it were raining, and indeed it had me wishing the wind were blowing hard enough to pick a hin right off the street. So it was that, inebriated on the washed out liquor, and intoxicated on the fumes of Callaghan's cruel preference, I lost myself and my mind wishing for rain.

I had lost much of the discussion to my mind's rambling like a train, and when at last my eyes were irritated enough that I was forced to blink, I turned my tired gaze back upon the group I had been associating with for the past weeks. And to tell the truth, while part of me hated being part of such a careless lot, another was quite proud of even my limited achievements alongside adventurers. I had to interrupt their planning, and my voice cracked with the mucus gathered at the back of my throat.

"There is still the issue of my reputation." I let out after a shameful cough and another sip from the dirty glass. "I can't be associated with this heist. If people see me prying at loose ends- well, it doesn't take a snoop dog to make us suspects." My gaze turned from Garruk, whom I knew would soon give his opinion, and to the dame whose legs just wouldn't quit. "Toots, can you disguise me?"

Archmage1
2013-02-27, 06:42 PM
As Arianne sat, leaning back in her chair, she simply reflects, and plans. As the others make their plans, she sips lightly at her wine, and considers the others. The thief, Thom, easily manipulated to do what is needed. However, he does suffer from a certain inability to be careful. The detective, Fyodor, foolishly naive, but also simple to control, due to his desire to solve mysteries. Give him one, and he simply works at it. The Alchemist, sadly, is not controllable, at least, not reliably. Insanity, alas, is difficult to predict. Finally, Garruk, the mage warrior, his dislike of me might make things difficult, but he also seems honorable. If I help him to achieve his goal, I am confident he will return the favor. However, before such plans are put into place, there power to be gained.
As the others propose plans, she simply represses her desire to laugh.
"Before we make plans, we need information. Fyodor, you can ask your contacts, see if you can learn anything about the layout of the place, how they are supplied, and if it would be possible to gain entry that way. Thom, simply take a look around, see if you can plan a way in, and more importantly, a way out. Mercury, I imagine we will need a way to get through complicated locks quickly, and quietly, as well as a flashy distraction. I imagine you can accomplish something along those lines. Garruk, why don't you see if they are looking to hire additional guards. If so, I imagine if you can acquire employment, and possibly get some of our own men into the guardforce, that will come in handy. I will see if I can't acquire an invitation into the house."

"Fyodor, if being recognized is an issue, I might be able to disguise you. However, you will owe me one."

Basically, she helps you protect your reputation, at some point in the future, you help her in some minor way.

Assuming he agrees, [roll0] disguise.

After the conversation is done, Arianne gets up and leaves, heading to her room to change into her dress of water, before heading to a more... upmarket tavern.

ji9zo
2013-02-27, 06:57 PM
Thom sits leanin back on his stool, looking somethin smug knowing what he were in his own territory now. "First things first is where this feller lives. No doubt someone somewhere has plans o the building, and even no-er doubt you two can find 'em." The man pauses for a moment, to motion to Arianne and Harvey with mug.

"Second is his guards- which, if he is workin with 'em unliving folk, will most definitely be a problem. Normal dubbers doze off now an'en, but not if 'ey don't need sleep. Arianne, if you still got 'at whistle it might still be useful. Too, if he's rich 'nuff to 'ave guards no doubt he'll be rich 'nuff to 'ave servin men and women, and their tongues can be as loose as what you pay 'em.

"Lastly is the key itself, an where it's kept. If he keeps it some place out of sight 'at's all the better in the long run, but if he don't we may need to make a copy, even if it's a ****e one."

taildragger
2013-02-27, 07:07 PM
Of course she was a gold digger, I thought- ain't no kind of woman that handy with the make up kit what doesn't get what she wants the easy way. I was reluctant to say the least, already she had cheated me once by denying my expenses after we had agreed, and this wasn't exactly charity work I was doing either.

"Toots, the way I see it, you need me as much as I need you." I began explaining to her, calmly. To tell you the truth, I'd have introduced her to the back of my palm, were it not for her butterflies and snowflakes wrecking men right off their feet. "Looky here, now and listen good, my contacts are only available if there's no risk in involvement. So how's that for a trade off?"

I puffed from Callaghan tough enough to feel the taste of burning wood, and "Sorry." I thought, clumsily tossing another patch of tobacco over the smoldering bowl. "But if you're that desperate for security, toots, I'll do you one better." And with this, I turned my gaze and scrutinized all of them. "I'll provide an alibi- for all of us, but the twist is not killing anyone while we're inside."

"The way I see it, prig, I do my bit and you're on your own." Perhaps I was bit rash with Thom, but I still couldn't trust him after the arson incident.

What the issue is, Harvey has something of a reputation. When he asks questions about the Synkale family, people WILL notice.

Now, a few days later, the Synkale estate is suddenly robbed, and Harvey was seen asking questions. And he was also seen in the vicinity of the party.

It's not his reputation alone that's at risk, it's his reputation that is the risk.

Archmage1
2013-02-27, 07:19 PM
As Thom mentions the undead working for the nobles, Arianne looks up, hatred burning in her eyes.
"Such abominations are rather useless as guards. They must follow orders, and have no mind of their own. They will only be an issue in private areas, and should be simple enough to deal with. After all, they can't kill everyone they see. And any who works with such, will be... dealt with. As for the whistle, while I still have it, relying on it working would be rather stupid. The more information we have about the place, the simpler this will be. With a bit of luck, I might be able to convince one of them to show me their treasures."

@Fyodor
Technically, you never actually asked for expenses, just for your silver, which she paid. Plus, you had no expenses.

"If you can gather useful information, then that would be a fair trade. However, if your contacts, unwilling to trust a stranger are silent, you will owe me. And as for security... Such a bargain would not be a good one. After all, I have no intention of allowing the servants of the dead to survive."

taildragger
2013-02-27, 07:46 PM
Expenses = trail rations, lodgings, medical support, etc. And he did ask for them, I was quoting a TV show at the time.

"When'd you last visit ya neighbors n' seen goners actin' moon pigs, prig?" I spat out in Thom's direction. "Verify that taffin' privilege."

Curse that purse snatcher and his arbitrary assumptions, setting the seed of disdain in this mismatched gathering yet further. "If the dead turn out to walk around, our alibi will be thankful. But I'm not talking about the family alone, toots." I shook my head, just as I rose to my feet and paced in spot for a moment. "I'm talking guards, servants, right down to dogs- if innocents are killed... well then, Hell, I have a bone with it myself."

"And on the other hand, my guys always provide. I'll pay you two hundred full rusts if they fail." With that, I flipped Callaghan upside down, spat on my sleeve and gave him a good cleaning, then setting him in my pocket and warming my fingers against his burning curves. "What's it going to be?"

Archmage1
2013-02-27, 07:50 PM
"There are no innocents in this. They know what they work for, and they choose to do so. That aside, I can agree to that deal. One disguise, in exchange for either information, or rusts."

(just use the same roll from before)

all_classics
2013-02-27, 07:57 PM
Ideas swam in his head, to and fro. 4 different voices, each distinct yet the same, shouted their opinions.

He sat hunched over, eyes darting back and forth at nothing.

He listened intently, but said nothing. He began to make a mental list.

Explosive packs. Flash pellets. Thunderstones. Stonebreaker acid. Panther tears. Sundark goggles. Liquid smoke.

He thought and thought, examining each possibility. It would probably be in a safe. But not definitely. It could be on a chain around his neck. It could be in a vault entirely separate from the house.

What way in? Wherever the key may be, it would be heavily guarded. Can't waltz through the front door. Likely not the back door either. Or the side door. We need...and up door? Or a down door? The sewers.

Finally, he looked up.

"Harvey, can you get me some schematics of the sewers below and around the house? And find out if our target likes jewelry, or other displays of wealth or pride."

Mercury turned to the bartender. "Sir, where can I buy some fine cloth?"

taildragger
2013-02-27, 08:03 PM
Before we move on, it'd be nice to give Classics and DMoD a chance to speak their minds.

"You've got a deal: if I fail to provide information, then I'll just give you the iron. As for the alibi- I'll leave that for last, in this case. Might not be worth the risk."

"Mercury... you're asking for very specific things here, this will take time. Are you absolutely sure you're listing everything you need from me."

all_classics
2013-02-27, 08:10 PM
Looking moderately annoyed, Mercury turns to Harvey.

"Well, of course get a plan of the house. But I need the sewers! And the jewelry." An afterthought: "And see if there's any large hills or buildings near the house, too. But that's all I need from you."

With that, Mercury gets up and leaves for his room to ponder.

taildragger
2013-02-27, 08:11 PM
Once this meeting is wrapped up, Fyodor- now disguised as some average joe by the name of... Yevrah (no one will suspect a thing), will move out to gather information on the family in question, with that 30 disguise.

Rolling ahead just in case:
[roll0] Gather information.
[roll1] Time.

Should that fail, I'll just try again and hope that 30 is enough to keep suspicion on the down low.

And of course, once that's done, we'll move to the far more specific request of Mercury, for sewer schematics and bits of random information:
[roll2] Gather information.
[roll3] Time.

Okay, moved it here. Hope it works.

MageofMystra
2013-02-27, 08:29 PM
Harvey gathers some basic information over the next seven hours.

The Synkales have two main residences, but own more. They have a rather nice walled mansion in the western edge of the city. The area's fairly populated with low to middle wealth population, so they stick out a bit. They have another, much larger estate further out in the country, perhaps three days' walk (wagons apparently move slower than walking, so there you go.) It's about a half day's walk from a relatively small village, and is well populated, walled, and relatively well fortified. It was built around half a ruined, abandoned castle, and has to deal with monsters.

One could presumably get on a tall enough roof in the city. As for the country estate, it's near a high point in the area. All around are rolling hills, so, not as easy.

Fable Wright
2013-02-27, 09:26 PM
Sorry for delayed posting; don't have too much time to post between 6 and 9; there's a window earlier, but other things came up.

Garruk, hunched over the table, gives a look to Arianne.

A job? As a guard? Blending in, getting people on my side? Witch, I can't do that. I can barely get along with you all, and we risked each others' neck for each other. I can't tell a story, can't earn respect without a fight. I'm the last person you want as an inside man; I can't lie for nothin', can't convince people to my side. If something went wrong in the house on the same day I didn't show up for work a few days after I first showed up, I'd be the main suspect already. If the guards didn't like me, there'd be no doubt in their minds. No, I don't think I can get guards to our side, or probably any information about the house. Not without magical help, anyways.

Maybe we can borrow a Circlet of Persuasion for a few days. Convince a person that you need to test it out for a few days, and that you'll give it back after you're done. You can use some of my gear as collateral, if you must; the inquisitor's bracers, the ring of silence, and, if absolutely necessary, Mul Ye Zal. Then, if you all can help me get some books on speakin' to people, I could get a job. More importantly, though, I want a damn good reason why people shouldn't think it suspicious I don't show up to work. I don't want the people to think I betrayed them. I'd rather them think me dead. I need a corpse double. Not necessarily for during the heist, but for planting in a room after it's over. You can do that for me, I can get you the info and relations you need.

Archmage1
2013-02-27, 09:34 PM
"You would risk your life for me, so how could I not return the favor? However, I do see your point. I could argue that you would probably make a good guard, however, if you don't feel comfortable doing so, then nothing will make this work. I suppose alternatively, I could try getting you in as a bodyguard, assuming I can get an invitation. Now, a circlet of persuasion might be a good idea, but I suspect I would be the better user of such an item. I could probably persuade an enchanter to provide such an item, however. The trouble with a corpse double for you would be your sword. Such a unique item would be noticed, and it vanishing might be considered odd. It is also trackable. I was planning on going and seeing if I could get an invitation inside from a younger son of the family. I imagine that I could play you off as the annoying bodyguard I was stuck with, and most likely ditch you in the estate proper. You would have a chance to innocently talk with the guards, and your plight might make them talk more readily."

Fable Wright
2013-02-27, 09:49 PM
Garruk unintentionally grips the handle of his sword, then slowly releases it.

My sword... I suppose, if I have to... I could do without it when on duty. He takes off the sword, and reluctantly puts it on the table. Thom, can you find a good place to stash it?

Turning back to Arianne, he continues. What need do you really have for the circlet? You're already one of the best snake oil salesmen I've seen. You're past the point of diminishing returns on that. On me, it would give me the charisma of Thom; that is, enough to fit in and make friends. Getting in as a bodyguard would work: Looking for another job, any other job, as my charge is always trying to ditch me. Solid reason to be in the place, looking for a job, and obviously qualified, if a 'noble' would trust their personal safekeeping to me. I'm fine with the job, but... I don't want to betray them more than I have to. And I don't want them to think ill of me. The double and the circlet are my only conditions, and I can go through with this job. He attempts to take a drink, but finds that his glass was still empty.

Archmage1
2013-02-27, 09:55 PM
Arianne is clearly outraged by this insult.
"Snake oil salesman! I have never said anything untrue, and I have never tried to falsely sell anything. My word is all that I have, and it is good."

After a few moments, she seems calm again.
"Then why don't you come with me now, and just stand silently, looking grumpy. After that, I will pay a visit to an enchanter, and... persuade him to loan me a circlet. As for the body double, well, I think I can handle that. It might smell a bit though. And getting it in place could be difficult as well."

Fable Wright
2013-02-27, 10:12 PM
Garruk looks taken aback at her outburst. Snake oil salesman? I'm not saying you tried that. It's a term for someone who can sell anyone, anything, not people who actually sell snake oil.

Garruk then makes movement to stand. As for getting it in place? I plan on telling my friends that I'm moving to my apartment on that day, something about a deal on my ex-client's behalf going down. Give them a room number and everything. Next day, when they check, body's in place. Getting the body up there is simple as a borrowed bag of holding.

Turning to leave, almost as an afterthought, Garruk mentions, You think you could make a fake crest for yourself and put it on my gear? Make a big show of taking back your company's uniform after I leave? It's a good excuse for why a competent fighter doesn't bear magic arms and armor, and lets me use their uniform for my decoy death.

Archmage1
2013-02-28, 07:35 AM
"My understanding of the term is that a snake oil salesman is one who will say anything, do anything to sell the product, even lying about its properties. There is no greater insult than that."
"I can provide the double. Getting it into place then, is your problem. As for a crest, I can make one, but it would look to be of a poor quality. For now, it should not be a problem, as this will be an informal meeting. It should be possible to create one after the tavern trip."
As she goes to head to her room, intending to change into her dress, she looks back
"I think we will need to stop by a blacksmith, in order to get you a replacement blade, before we go to the tavern."

(She heads up, changes, comes back down, meets Garruk, before heading to a blacksmith to acquire a greatsword, and then to one of the taverns nobles would frequent.)

taildragger
2013-02-28, 10:46 AM
Assuming Harvey didn't get a map of the sewers nearby for Mercury, he'll just leave that for last. After the seven hours pass, he'll take a lunch break and organize his notes, bent on acquiring at least some manner of floor plan for the home. He'll risk his buttocks again, not yet bothering to remove his disguise, trying to either get a floor plan of the mansion in the current city, or otherwise locate a servant willing to spill the beans contra-cost.

[roll0] Gatherin' info for that floor plan.
[roll1] Time.

Provided he's unable to get one, if he was able to get the name of at least a servant, he'll stalk him as per Urban Tracking. All the while careful that people are not stalkin' him, clearly.

Also [roll2] Knowledge: Local, to see if he has any idea of someone (or some company) that might be able to provide sewer maps.

ji9zo
2013-02-28, 05:19 PM
"Sure I can find sommer to put it. But me point about copyin the key still stands. If we can make it in an' out without bein' spotted- or at least no one knowin what we were really after- it'll be a dead giveaway if the key goes missin, and it won't take a gudgeon to know where it went. For 'at alone it'd probably be an idea to steal any and everythin of worth in the house where they keep 'e key. Course we need to find what one 'at is first mind." Thom says as he takes Garruk's sword off his hands for safe keepin. "For the key, either clay or magic'd do it, whatever's easiest as 'e time. 'Less the key's magic, of course."

MageofMystra
2013-03-03, 12:35 PM
Well, I don't really have excuses, but at least now you know why a PbP wouldn't work out so well.

--

After looking around a bit, Arianne eventually finds a fancy pub in a more upscale part of Zer-de-Grere. They do not open until late into the afternoon, so she in all probability returns then.

The pub makes no secret of its rich clientele--there are large tinted windows in the front. Elaborate decorations and pieces of art are held outside. The architecture is elaborate. In this area, the city is not quite as crowded, and as such, the building has a fair bit of space to itself. A well-tended garden is in front.

Walking inside, the place has a warm feeling. The inside is decked in expensive and beautiful wood. Most of it shines. The lighting is a bit brighter than one might expect. There are many large tables, all widely spaced, and a bar in the back. By the looks of it, the place is closer to a restaurant than a watering hole.

The area is filled with boisterous noblemen, who seem to already be under the influence. The sun has not yet set. The pub/restaurant seems very much like a lower class one, excepting the more decadent decorations and offerings.

Many eyes turn to Arianne as she enters. Though she's dressed well enough, she's viewed with instant suspicion. The noise dies down very slightly, but many patrons return to business as usual after getting a glimpse of the new fellow.

--

The sun was out and shining. Harvey sat while eating lunch, looking through his notes. There had to be some sort of connection.

Nothing.

Back to the streets. The city is dry of leads, except by chance, when Harvey strikes gold.

Almost literally. It was a lady, just below middle-age, with dirty blonde hair. Looks to trying to keep herself on the down low. Doesn't look like she's had anything decent to eat in ages. Harvey's heard somewhere or just knows that she used to be a domestic worker at the Synkale residence.

His reception isn't so well. But Harvey finds what he needs soon enough--she's run away from the Synkale residence almost a month ago. She thinks you're going to bring her back in. Probably not the case.

One way or another, she spills her guts soon enough. She tells you she worked for the Synkales, and was the head maid up until a few months ago, when she ran. Apparently the Synkales had a "change of management." No servants were allowed in or out of the house, except for certain reasons. She had been allowed to leave to buy groceries--she took the chance, and scarpered. Couldn't skip town.

Soon enough, Harvey's got pens and ink out. He convinces her to draw a map of the residence as well as she can. Her memory's hazy, and the map shows this. But it was better than nothing.

She practically begs Harvey to help her get out of the city one way or another--the usual way out isn't going to cut it, given the new security.

--

MAP. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45816230/Dandy/old_synkale_residence.jpg) I'm certainly no architect, so if there's any weirdness there, then there's weirdness there. According to the former maid, the servant's quarters were added about two years ago, and the kitchen moved. The back area is essentially stuck onto the old building--and the former back-wall was strengthened and thickened to about 5 feet of stone.

Archmage1
2013-03-03, 12:42 PM
As the eyes turn to her, Arianne smiles, basking in the attention, as though the stares were one of amazement and greeting, rather than those of suspicion. However, knowing that she will need to gain their respect, before she could reasonably anticipate anyone talking to her, Arianne approaches the waiter, and asks for some very fine wine, her very presence seeming to radiate importance, trying to get an invitation to a event, for a traveling noblewoman.

[roll0] bluff(noblewoman, looking for an event(also known as a way in...)
[roll1] diplomacy(get the fine wine)

MageofMystra
2013-03-03, 12:52 PM
The waiter gives Arianne a look of slight confusion.

"Yes, uh, Lady..."
He pauses, realizing he has no clue who you are, then coughs rather than continue.
"Welcome to Zer-de-Grere, then."

"If you have the gold, then I am sure our cellars are always open for a distinguished lady such as yourself. But uh, perhaps you have an idea of which wine you'd want?"
Roll... erm.
Profession (Chef), Profession (Sommelier), Knowledge (Wine), or...
I guess you could also try to social your way out or read someone else's label.

(I make fun of GURPS for having such specific skills, but apparently Savoir-Faire actually does pop up in campaigns.)

Archmage1
2013-03-03, 12:56 PM
"You may call me the lady Evelyn, of house Tarenth."
[roll0] bluff
"As for the wine, I think I will have a..."
[roll1] know: wine(need a good result here)
(if bad[roll2] bluff(trying to recover from it)

MageofMystra
2013-03-03, 01:46 PM
"Ah, yes, the lady Evelyn of Tarenth."
He seems to have bought it.

Mustering up all of her knowledge in wines, Arianne places an order for a wine which doesn't exist.
The waiter looks perplexed, but Arianne quickly catches herself, and insists. Shortly after, it was of course all a test to make sure that he knew his stuff. The waiter looks pleased at his own [apparently] knowledge of wines, and asks again:
"Well, lady Evelyn, what shall you be having, then? Would you maybe want to take a look at the cellar?"

(and as a side-note, if you want to spin that bluff check of 41 to invent a new expensive wine that they apparently don't have, feel free to do so.)

Archmage1
2013-03-03, 01:52 PM
Note: Garruk is following her, looking grumpy

"I think that will be adequate. I don't suppose you have any elven vintages, from around 150 years ago? That was a rather excellent year for them, I have found."

She follows the waiter into the cellar, hoping to get some sort of inspiration down there.
As well as hoping that she attracted the attention of the right nobles.

MageofMystra
2013-03-03, 02:03 PM
The waiter finishes up whatever he was doing earlier, and leads you to the cellar.
"No, not many elven vintages, the owner isn't particularly fond of Elvish alcohol, if you can believe it... I remember the last owner bringing in a lot of bottles, but those got finished up well before I came here."

He takes Arianne and Garruk downstairs. A large, heavy wooden door is open, and leads into what you assume is a wine cellar, given the massive wine racks. The racks are lain along the walls, with a few racks in the centre against no wall. There must be in excess of 200 or 300 bottles. It can only be assumed that this is a good wine cellar.

The waiter walks slowly along the wine racks, talking the whole time about the different things they have. By what you've made out of it, the cheap stuff's in the middle, and the best stuff's spread along the right wall.

Garruk identifies a few familiar names in obscure elvish wines. Apparently they weren't all snapped up. The local wines have a reputation for being not-so-good, so it's probably a good idea to avoid those.

--

If you desire, you may reroll any checks [to find a good bottle] at a +2 circumstance bonus. Appraise can also be used (albeit at a much, much slower rate), and will grant a synergy if you have 5 ranks in it.

EDIT: Fixed some exploitable wording.

Archmage1
2013-03-03, 02:11 PM
Arianne confidently heads to the right side, and chooses her wine from within there.
[roll0] wine selection(hopefully, Garruk can get me an aid another check...)
"This one seems like it might be acceptable."

Fable Wright
2013-03-03, 02:18 PM
Garruk, inspecting the right wall, pulls out an obscure bottle of elvish wine. Milady, he glowers, this wine was served often back on your estate. You seemed fond of it at the time. However, if you wish to try something new, I recommend this vintage instead. He points to a different bottle with a name he recognizes.

[roll0]+4 finding the right bottle, probably with a +2 circumstance bonus from synergy with Know: Nature. (Aid Another check, in case it wasn't clear.)

MageofMystra
2013-03-04, 09:08 PM
Arianne pulls out what looks like a decently aged bottle from an Elvish vineyard. Garruk actually seems to have heard of the vineyard before.

The waiter looks at the bottle for a moment with an appraising look, and asks: "Is that the wine you want?"

Arianne seems pleased enough with her choice. Garruk catches the waiter's look for a moment, and gets the hunch that maybe that wasn't the best choice.

Fable Wright
2013-03-05, 07:38 AM
Garruk quietly shakes his head, indicating to Arianne that no, this was not the bottle they were looking for.

Archmage1
2013-03-05, 07:40 AM
Taking the hint, Arianne shakes her head, and say "No, I was just thinking. It has been some time since I last saw this vineyard."
[roll0] bluff

[roll1] wine

MageofMystra
2013-03-05, 04:09 PM
"Ah, well, yes then."
It's fairly obvious he's growing slightly impatient at this point, Arianne and Garruk having been deciding for a decent time now.

He walks over a fair distance and pulls out what seems to be an old Inguard wine. Garruk vaguely knows the name from somewhere--it certainly does have an impression of la haute societé.
"Might I make a suggestion of this one, if you are wanting to make an impression?"
And with that, it seems he's anxious for both some sort of tip, and to get back upstairs.

Archmage1
2013-03-05, 05:44 PM
As he presents the bottle of wine, Arianne scrutinizes it for a moment or two, eventually looking up at the server once more.
"Thank you, this looks perfect. For your trouble"
[roll0] diplo
She hands him a gold coin, before heading back upstairs, to see the results of her entry.

MageofMystra
2013-03-06, 09:37 PM
The waiter accepts the coin graciously, and leads Arianne and Garruk back upstairs into the main room.

The room seems much the same as it was when they went down, or even before they entered. Nobody seems to be paying them much attention now, though there seems to be the occasional topic of who on earth Arianne (or rather, Evelyn) is.

Arianne is holding the recommended wine. The waiter has walked off to return to work.

Most of the tables seem to not be paying too much mind to her existence, but she feels somewhat confident that with the wine in hand, and some diplomatic ability, she could join most tables.

Archmage1
2013-03-07, 07:29 AM
Arianne looks around the room, heading for either the Synkales, if she recognizes them, or else the most important looking group. Once there, she looks down on them, gracefully saying
"Do you mind if I join you?" [roll0] diplo

MageofMystra
2013-03-07, 03:54 PM
Unable to find the Synkales, Arianne joins into a small table.

There appears to be two well-groomed gentlemen, and two nice-looking ladies. They're eating some expensive meal that would probably make environmentalists cry.

As Arianne sits down with them, they give her a small glare. One of the gentlemen speaks in a rhythmic voice: "Now, lady, some might construe your actions as a touch rude."
Unfazed, Arianne exudes an aura of confidence, and places the wine upon the table.
"However, I suppose it could be excused this one time, and I am sure you want for company. Waiter!"
He calls for a waiter to uncork the bottle.
"So, lady... Evelyn, was it?
"Why don't you tell us a little about yourself, then, and dispel this awkward air?"

taildragger
2013-03-07, 05:06 PM
I was going to wait until Garruk and Arianne wrapped up, but I'm afraid PbP works slower than I assumed.

For this reason, Harvey will take the woman to the church, once more leaning on his contacts there for help, albeit his charity won't help him forever and he realizes that.

Still enough, he'll make sure they are not followed, approach whomever he is closest to in the Church of Zakrest and ask that they keep the woman safe until he is able to smuggle her out of town.

While there, he removes his disguise and then sets off to the inn once more, to wait for the others.

[roll0] Knowledge: Local; Does Harvey know of any big, local criminal holding to any values of honor? In essence, an important criminal that keeps his promises.

Archmage1
2013-03-07, 05:40 PM
"Yes, I did say Lady Evelyn. Would you be willing to introduce yourselves?"

As they do so, she leans back confidently in her chair, with perfect manners [roll0] disguise(to stay in character)
"I was told to travel the world, in hopes of learning something interesting, but I find that I miss my home, and the events there. Since this town happened to have some fine taverns, this lead me to see if I could not find an event occurring here in the near future, however, building relationships is often time consuming, and I have little to spare. So, I was hoping that my gift"
She gestures at the wine
"Would help to speed the process up somewhat."
[roll1] diplomacy

A 17 should still be fairly decent for good manners, after all, she was raised in the fey court, where poor manners could well lead to danger.

MageofMystra
2013-03-07, 08:18 PM
The gentlemen seem a little puzzled by Arianne, but don't seem to raise a large fuss about it. One performs a short bow.
"Then consider myself as 'votre noveau ami...'"
The man seems to have a gesture of realization, as if he had remembered something suddenly.
"Ah! That is where I have heard the name! I recall that my house (house Greils, of course) was once aligned closely with my Andauri allies of the Tarenth house..."
"...it seems you're a fair distance from home. I had heard that an earthquake had struck the Tarenth estate by Blue Junction, what an awful state of affairs.
"I wasn't quite aware that the house of Tarenth had birthed yet another young lady, but it seems I've been out of touch with these affairs for a while."
The other ladies, and gentleman seem to re-enter their own conversations. A waiter arrives, uncorks, and serves Arianne's bottle of wine.

--

Harvey left her at the church. But there was still work to be done, especially if he was to make good on his word, and get some... extrication performed.

It wouldn't be any good to stay on his usual side of the law. It took a crook to beat the law... and Harvey knew just the man.

He ran with some real bad people. When his gang leader died in a "mysterious explosion", he grabbed onto power in an instant. Now he was a big man in the Zer-de-Grere underworld, and made his coins by trading in the nasty stuff... poisons, drugs, and more poisons.

Not a pleasant fellow.

Still, he had grudging respect for Harvey, and a mental note not to cross him. His nose reminded him every day, and his recovering limp (even after all these years) was just the last straw. Harvey was one pair of fists he'd try to avoid.

Nowadays, his name's whispered as "Bence the Black." But he'd always be known to Harvey as Benny Troksden, the thug. The little thug who had been in the right place at the right time.

If there was any man who could get anyone in or out of the walls without a hitch, it'd be him. Obviously, there was a little bit of a... cold air between him and Harvey, but he knew at least that Benny would keep his word... most of the time.

Besides, it's not like there were many options left.

With that in mind, Harvey arrives outside the Slooping Knight inn/tavern/home base.

Archmage1
2013-03-07, 08:25 PM
Arianne smiles wryly
"Indeed, good news always seems to move far more slowly than poor. Still, the night is young, and there is yet enjoyment to be had this night."

As the waiter finishes pouring, Arianne delicately takes her glass, and proposes a toast
"To entertainment. May it always be fun!"

[roll0] diplo

After the toast, Arianne will attempt to bring the conversation around to possible parties in the area, using her speaking skills.
[roll1] bluff, [roll2] diplo

MageofMystra
2013-03-08, 08:07 PM
The room seems to be convinced (or at least not suspicious enough to question) of Arianne's assumed identity. The air in the room seems to be a bit more enthusiastic, though that dies out relatively quickly.

The conversation at the table moves around a bit to things of little consequence. Arianne blends into the conversation without much issue, and can probably steer the conversation where she might like (though, obviously, they might not be inclined to answer everything.)

Archmage1
2013-03-08, 11:48 PM
She attempts to guide the conversation towards future events in the area, galas, balls, that sort of thing.

all_classics
2013-03-15, 07:37 PM
Two nights after binding Young Synkale, Mercury lies awake.

After ensuring everyone else is asleep, he quietly gets out of bed, and begins the arduous process of carrying the equipment out of his room. [roll0] move silently

(presuming I make the check)
Outside, he loads up Jefferey's saddle with the items, and sets off for the countryside. After a few hours' trek, he spies the residence. He picks out a large hill, about 500 meters off, and starts erecting the launcher.

He primes it, and loads the glider, wings painted a matte black. He steels himself, takes a deep breath, and kicks back the release, launching himself into the night sky.

[roll1] ride

MageofMystra
2013-03-15, 09:35 PM
Mercury with his glider is launched into the air. Once there, he seems to glide smoothly for a while, however, he soon realizes that controlling the thing isn't going to be easy.

The glider sails a little too low for his own tastes, being a not-so-fair height over the top of the manor--however, this at least proved that the glider works--with a better launch and more practice controlling the thing, he might actually be able to pull off something slick.

By the looks of lights, activity lowers in the night--there aren't many lights. It's difficult to see anything specific, however, by the looks of it, there are a few figures sitting around in the courtyard, in the dark. Around the edge, a few guards carrying lanterns can be seen. Inside, there are probably more lights. Oddly enough, the west end doesn't seem quite as lit.

Noting all these things, Mercury realizes that the glider's path is... not so desirable. With a dull thud a fair distance away, Mercury half-crashes his glider, though without any lasting damage. Better either pack up, or get ready for another go...

all_classics
2013-03-15, 10:00 PM
Brushing himself off from the landing, Mercury decides to commit what he saw to memory, and pack it up for the night. He'll be back...

[roll0] autohypnosis to remember everything

all_classics
2013-03-16, 10:39 AM
The Following Night:

Having reloaded Jefferey and trekked out once again to the manor, Mercury once again sets up the launcher and loads the glider. Before he gets on, he takes a vial of Panther Tears.

He clambers on, takes a deep breath, and kicks the release, launching himself once again into the air.

If I can take ten, that's a 17 ride check. If not, [roll0]

MageofMystra
2013-03-16, 04:18 PM
With a near perfect launch, Mercury glides smoothly just the right distance away to observe things. There are less lights than before. Again, the most light seems to come from the east end--by the looks of it, the magic room, and one of the barracks. There are also lights from the servant's quarters, that weren't there before (Mercury did observations a bit earlier this time.) Though figures very seldom venture onto the balcony, through windows or some other way, Mercury notes the guards: warforged armed with guisarmes, and skeletons, spread relatively evenly, though there's a bias towards the west, and towards the chapel. That might explain the lack of lights.*

By a quick sampling of what he says, and with a bit of statistics and distribution fitting in his head, Mercury predicts that the number of warforged and skeletons are more or less even. He also notices a few men in robes--if he were to note down how they looked, and recount it, he would know that they are either of, or associated with the Order.

Though the lights in the servant quarters dim after a time in the night, they never fully go out. It seems the manor keeps going into the dark.

*yes I know Warforged don't normally have Darkvision.

Fable Wright
2013-04-06, 09:48 PM
SKILL CHALLENGE!
Extra Spell: Swift Haste

That was the end of the Sanguine Order.

The Vampire got away. Everyone who was brought on the expedition was dead. He had ruined Jaldoch's life with a quest for vengeance. And Garruk was powerless to stop it.

He was held up by wolves, which not even Vígtönngandr could help him against. He was unable to fight the Vampire when he wished he could, and when he did charge after him, he was unable to land a blow. He had to burn spells just to keep up, and large numbers of opponents made him... useless. He couldn't get past the Wolves to take out the Vampire spawn on the hilltop. He only had one shot to do something each round, and if he bungled it, that was it. When he ran at full speed, he was unable to do anything else. Something needed to change.

Later that night, when Garruk was reading the Grimoire as he always did before bed, he found a reference to something called a "swiftblade." They were another order, similar to the Arcanamacha, but they were focused on something else: The Haste spell. At the time of writing, apparently, they were talking casually about the proper use of Haste spells in combat (Haste spells! Casually! That was the highest tier of magic most mages could reach now, but was nothing special then...) and their failure to replicate the Swiftblade's rapid casting. There was something about Rangers using a lesser version that duplicated the effects, though the range of magic only extended to one individual, minimizing its utility. Reading this, Garruk bolted to attention. A lesser version of Haste? He would be pressing himself to learn it, but... that could actually work. That could be the answer! That could be what he needed! Eagerly, he scanned the rest of the page for more information, but their was nothing, save for a mention of it being a second tier Ranger spell. And with that, Garruk froze. Rangers couldn't use second tier spells. There had been rumors of Mystic Rangers, but... how could he find someone who knew ancient Divine spells from ancient times? And then he remembered the Archivists, a group of Divine Wizards that he read of elsewhere, that recorded and could use all sorts of divine magic, and had whole catalogs of spells from the past ages recorded. If he could just find out where they were...

[roll0]+14 Knowledge (Religion)
[roll1]+13 Knowledge (Local)
[roll2]+1 Gather Information (If the other checks aren't enough...)

MageofMystra
2013-04-09, 08:49 PM
Garruk's knowledge reaches far. From the corners of his brain, he plucks out mentions of archivists.

Inguard once had a tradition of something similar to archivists--it just so happens that one resides within Zer-de-Grere. By the end of the day, Garruk has located the archives, resolving to return in the morning.

The archive's front end is open--however, reaching the archivists in the back is more difficult. It is said they will only speak to those capable of casting from the second circle of spells--which makes meeting them not very difficult at all!

Garruk eventually reaches a dark room. Books line the sides. Towards the back of the room, there is a light behind what looks like thin paper screens. Telling of his desire to plunge into the magical archives to learn Swift Haste, the archivist speaks:
"Knowledge is meant to be guarded, and to be returned to the later generations. However, knowledge is also dangerous, and as such, it seemed to be that before long, it was the realm of the elite..."
She seems to recite this, as if it were a mantra.
"Whatever the case may be, if you wish to seek new knowledge, you must show that you are capable of seeking it.
"Show me that you are capable of seeking and learning--show me at least one spell in six of the eight schools of magic. I wish to see at least two of them from the second circle. It does not matter if arcane or divine."

And so the challenge began: Garruk must either be capable of casting from six schools (at least two of 2nd level or higher), or be capable of showing scrolls of them.

Fable Wright
2013-04-09, 10:13 PM
(Resist energy is a Sorcerer/Wizard/Cleric/Druid/Paladin 2 spell, but Duskblade 1. Can that count as one of his second level spells?)

Garruk scoffs. Only six schools of magic? I can do you one better. I will show you 7. I need a target, though; my magic is not of the gentlest sort. Assuming one is procured, Garruk proceeds to cast Detect Magic on it, followed by Acid Splash and Shocking Grasp. He casts Blade of Blood, and allows the spell to dissipate unharmed, then wards himself with Protection from Evil and casts Expeditious Retreat. He then obscures himself from the Archivist's view with Swift Invisibility, and then wards himself with Resist Energy. If the Archivist is not sufficiently impressed, he leaves the store and promptly returns with a Scroll of See Invisibility.

MageofMystra
2013-04-11, 03:06 PM
(Resist Energy would indeed count as a second level, for these purposes.)

After Garruk's display, the archivist seems to give a nod of approval from behind the screen.
"Very impressive. It seems that you have already devoted yourself quite well to the pursuit of the mystic arts, and of the path of learning.
"There does not seem to be any reason to deny your request. You will find the scroll you desire before you."
The archivist seems to return to her work. Garruk can hear the scratching of a pen. Looking around, Garruk suddenly notices a rolled up sheet of parchment, tied with a dull purple ribbon on a table near him. Taking it, opening it, and giving it a quick glance, Garruk figures out that the scroll is indeed of Swift Haste.

The scroll seems to be written in a very drastically different manner than that of a normal arcane, or even normal divine scroll. Giving it a look against his arcane knowledge, Garruk isn't quite sure what the difference means.

Regardless, the trouble now is how to get the spell into his brain...

Fable Wright
2013-04-11, 03:59 PM
Perplexed by the layout, Garruk remembers that the scroll was invented by Rangers. In doing so, he checks the message of the scroll for religious meaning and natural symbolism; if he could isolate it, he might be able to figure out the details of the spell itself.

[roll0]+14 Know: Nature
[roll1]+14 Know: Religion

Failing this, he attempts to discern if the spell is just hidden somewhere on the scroll--in his days as a scrivener, he would often come across messages that seemed to make no sense, but on closer examination held a code in them.

[roll2]+12 Sense Motive

Should this fail, or produce no leads, Garruk, frustrated at his own lack of knowledge, rather than admit defeat, defers to an expert: He takes the scroll to a local sage trained in decoding ancient texts, such as this, and beseeching them to take a look at it.

(Treating costs for it as a craft check; check result x DC in copper pieces paid to the sage after they take a look at it.)

[roll3]+Sage's Decipher Script

MageofMystra
2013-04-11, 07:23 PM
Garruk detects almost no natural symbolism or the like (surprisingly enough.) With his scrivener's training, and a little bit of know-how, he seems to have determined that whatever magic there is, is being repeatedly constantly throughout the scroll.

Not thinking of many other options, Garruk opts to bring it in to a sage for a look. Upon reading it, the sage seems perplexed, and eventually gives a chuckle and says:
"Yes, this is without a doubt the work of archivists... meticulous ones. The structure is strange because of its redundancies and reprintings; they seem to have taken a fair bit of work to ensure that most types of arcane and divine casters could find it... "compatible", so to speak."
The implications upon Garruk having trouble with it are a little worrying.
"Of course, uh, that being said, compatibility doesn't necessarily mean simplicity."
With a stick, he points at relevant sections of the scroll for Garruk, and gives some short tips and instructions for reading archivist work. He then charges five gold for his services.

As Garruk cannot make trained-only Spellcraft checks, he might need to pay for the services of the sage for memorization. If you choose to do so, a few hours every day, for a week or two will be eaten up. It will cost 300 gold, but otherwise require no checks.

Fable Wright
2013-04-11, 07:40 PM
Garruk thanks the sage, and requests to purchase a textbook on spellcraft, so that he could study the spell on his own. If he was honest with himself, he was thankful for an opportunity to study the reasons the magic worked; the Grimoire assumed the reader had a working knowledge of magical theory before, and focused on technique over theory. He was still put out that he would actually have to study it to accomplish anything, however, and the book was not cheap.

(Garruk is retraining the language of Draconic into a rank of Spellcraft and a rank of Concentration, and use the textbook as a Masterwork Tool for spellcraft while studying the spell, if that's allowed.)

[roll0]+5 Spellcraft to learn the spell.

MageofMystra
2013-04-11, 07:49 PM
Though normally impossible, Garruk learns Swift Haste, possibly through some sort of once-in-a-lifetime phlobetium miracle.

Skill challenge complete!

Archmage1
2013-04-11, 07:56 PM
Do you want me to start Arianne's search for the fortune teller here?

MageofMystra
2013-04-11, 08:04 PM
If you want to turn it into a side-mission thing, then sure--though it might make sense to start after next session, in case there's any actual overland travel after the session.

Archmage1
2013-04-13, 03:48 PM
As the others wander about, doing their business, Arianne seeks out the fortune teller when she gets the change, knowing that she needs to keep her promise to the woman. As the party wanders from place to place, she keeps an eye out, seeking the woman, but sees no sign of her, or of her caravan, or even of a circus.

As she wanders, she seeks out a villager. Nothing special about him, except for the chance that he might know the knowledge that she seeks. As she approaches him, smiling, she hopes that he will be foolish enough to offer her the information, simply for the pleasure of her presence.

"Have you seen an old woman, a fortune teller, recently?"
[roll0] gather info
[roll1] diplo

MageofMystra
2013-04-17, 08:58 PM
The villager seems to be charmed by Arianne, and seems to be wholly cooperative and willing to divulge any information.

However...
"Uhh... apologies, I don't believe I have, any time soon... not many travelers on the roads any more, much less a circus... these are troublesome times indeed..."

Zilch. Nada.
The road to the fortune-teller, it seems, will be a long and arduous one...

Archmage1
2013-04-17, 09:03 PM
"Would you happen to know if there are any major crossroads in the area? Perhaps someone nearby would have seen or heard something?"

MageofMystra
2013-04-18, 02:54 PM
The villager seems to think for a while. After a minute or so has passed, he snaps his finger, and says:

"Yes, further to the north, the road forks at Greypass Junction. I seem to remember a rumour that many more bards than usual, as of late, have been passing through there...
"Maybe the bards might know something? I mean, they certainly swap stories about everything else..."

If Arianne chooses to depart afterwards, the villager warmly waves her goodbye.

Archmage1
2013-04-18, 05:18 PM
As the villager provides her the information she needs, Arianne casually flips him a gold coin, before heading on her way to Greypass Junction, already considering how she would persuade a bard to help her. The villager never crosses her mind.

Once she arrives, she asks around a bit, hoping to learn if any of the bards have seen the old fortuneteller.

[roll0] gather info

MageofMystra
2013-04-18, 08:05 PM
Arianne's information gathering session proceeds spectacularly, and within 3 hours, she has a good grasp of who's who in town. From this information, she knows of one particular "bard" (who appears to more of a poet than anything), who seems to be only known as "Wort."

Assuming Arianne decides to pay the poorly named Wort a visit for questions, he greets her as follows:
"Greetings, my good lady
"'tis a fine night tonight
"Though it be quite shady
"Wilst thou stay and hear me?"
Which might elicit a small wince, as the meter's a mess.
"Need you words from me?"

He performs a small bow.

Archmage1
2013-04-18, 08:13 PM
Wincing slightly at the horrors wrought upon the common tongue by this fool calling himself a bard, Arianne reminds herself that she is here for information, not as a public service.

"Information is what I need, although, in exchange, I can listen to you. Have you perhaps seen or heard of an old fortune teller? Female, lots of grey hair."
[roll0] diplo

MageofMystra
2013-04-18, 08:21 PM
The foolish Wort seems more than happy to help, and pauses to think for a moment. It is unclear whether or not he is trying to remember, or figure out how to phrase things.

After a wait, he speaks:
"I have thought over each word
"And while an answer is assured
"It's not in a method preferred
"Instead, it might have to be deferred
"Allow me to be quite terse:
"I probably can't answer in verse
"So, if you're not adverse,
"Peer into my purse?"

He holds out a bag, and seems to pull out papers and notes. He hands it to you, and it reads as such:
"Old looking fortune teller passed through, and did a few readings. Good hand with tarot. Something off-putting. Headed east."
The paper is dated to about two weeks ago.

"Has your curiosity been satiated?
"I'd be quite ingratiated
"For any contributions are appreciated.
He holds out the bag again.

Archmage1
2013-04-18, 08:26 PM
"You actually have keep notes of everyone that you encounter? Amazing."
Once more, Arianne produces a gold coin, placing it into the bag, before turning, and heading to the east, hoping to catch this elusive fortune teller

If the fortune teller does not have levels in fatespinner, I am sad.

MageofMystra
2013-06-28, 08:10 PM
A scene from last/next session:

Stepping out of the previous corridor lined with suits of armour, you arrive at a bizarre area where the fog seems to have blotted out everything else. The floor continues onwards, but only for perhaps 50 feet, before it seems to vanish cleanly into the fog. The runner carpet too extends, but bends into a massive dark pillar of stone, which vanishes upwards into the fog.

The fog seems to clear slowly, and you gain a glimpse of what is before you--the floor ends, and drops abruptly into an infinite, slowly churning expanse of thick fog and cloud. Above you, the same massive billow of thick fog slowly churns. For a brief moment, staring, it seems as if time itself is being shown to you--as the fog parts, breaks, and forms, as if watching the work of weather--over days, weeks, months, in few short minutes.

The area is still dark, however, and the fog seems to return for a moment, in the far distance. Very clearly against the light grey expanse of fog, what looks like a massive, blood red thread pierces onwards, vanishing into mist. One end is secured to the floor. The thread sways lightly, in slow motion, as if you were watching it move in a slow water current.

Further ahead, the ground seems to appear again, after an expanse of misty abyss--it rises up in sudden spikes and chunks, like a stalagmite of white stone. The spear of rock is capped by the same smooth floor tiles as before, which also end as abruptly as the ground you are on. In the centre, is a much smaller pillar, also seemingly of unhewn stone, which extends infinitely upwards, vanishing into mist.

In the mist, you see the faint outline of a man. As it clears, his appearance becomes clearer to you--a fine middle-aged man, who seems to have enjoyed the fineries of life, and as such, has a plumpness to him. An odd air floats about him--one of seriousness, yet different--one might almost be tempted to term it "austere." He wears a fine faded red cape, and a black tunic which almost seems like armour. Adorning his head is a golden crown; in his right hand is a long thin sceptre of some orange wood or metal.

He stares right at the party, and begins to orate in a deep tone:
"Our subjects, they do approach. Come and face Us.
"We've no recognition of your faces, so We shall tell you the law of these lands--the simple order which rules it:
"We've dominion over the men of the land; and order the rest.
"What is order? Order is the following of one thing to another, by simple rules and machinations.
"Yes, it is fate. It is fate and fortune which bind us all--which lead us to prosperity, and to ruin. We are all bound by it, and that is the simplest law of these lands.
"A man long ago did not wish to face this rule--and many men before him.
"Now his people have been snatched by death, and his world swallowed by the sea.
"His world, the one sought after by so many, fell victim to fate all the same."

"We can tell that you've no belief in this.
"Let Us show you exactly what this is, and the wisdom of Our words."

*combat would start*

And that's pretty much the most important part of previous/next session. Don't respond.