PDA

View Full Version : Spells for buffing constructs

javijuji
2013-02-06, 11:18 PM
I am playing a Construct (NOT warforged) at a game and I am looking for spells or items that might buff constructs. I already know about the infusions but I am wondering if there is more.

javijuji
2013-02-06, 11:46 PM
These are the ones I found on the Infusion list that look handy to buff myself.

Iron Construct
Reinforce Construct
Toughen Construct

Since they are not spells but infusions how would one go about trying to persist or permanent these?

Alienist
2013-02-08, 09:04 AM
I believe you missed Stone Construct (though given the material cost, the oversight is entirely understandable!).

The other infusions also work directly on you. So you can personal weapon augmentation your slam attack, or use Armor Enhancement directly, which is amazing.

Alienist
2013-02-08, 09:34 AM
The quick and easy recipe to persist almost anything*

Take two feats, Extend and Persistent.
Make a wand of whatever you want to persist.
Cast the Metamagic Item infusion on the wand.
Choose Persistent Spell as the metamagic you wish to apply to the wand.
Use one charge from the wand.**

Bake at 250 degrees Celsius, which is the approximate temperature of the blood in the throbbing vein on the DM's forehead if you abuse this too much.

*Only works on things which can be persisted, which is almost nothing.***

**Before putting in the oven, double check that you're using the infusion, not the class feature, which is easily confused because it is exactly the same except that it is worse in all possible respects.

***Case in point: Iron Construct probably cannot be persisted. Only things with a fixed or personal range can be persisted, and Iron Construct is range: touch. Now, given that this is the playground, you can probably find 20 different people will have 21 different opinions on what 'fixed' actually means, all of whom will swear on a stack of Boccob's Blessed Books that their way is the only possibly way that that sentence can be read, and that the English language (which is normally quite a plastic thing) is inexplicably unitary in it's interpretation of this instance.

In the Eberron Campaign Setting, I only saw three spells with the correct range that could be persisted:
- Magecraft, which already has a duration of 1 day, rendering the exercise pointless
- Detoxify which has an instantaneous duration and thus is disqualified
- Detect Aberration, which has a duration of concentration and thus is disqualified.

Seriously.

Races of Eberron has:
- Aspect of the Shifter (useless to you unless you're a were-construct (given that this is 3.5, it cannot be ruled out, though the mind boggles) stranger things will happen)
- Discern Shapechanger
- Doppleganger Transformation (surprisingly, not a bad combo for a construct) (and there's your stranger things, just one page later)
- Enhanced Shifting
- Extend Shifting
- Natural Weapon Augmentation, Personal <- shock! it actually works!
- Ride of the Valenar
- Shifter Prowess (but it probably will still end when your shifting ends)
- Unfettered Heroism <- unless you want to break the game, move along, nothing to see here
- Wild Instincts (also, surprisingly does not suck) (also, unsurprisingly, is one of those 'nature flavored' spells which actually works better for an urban campaign (especially if there's detectiving to be done))

Magic of Eberron has:
- Expose the Dead
- Leap into Animal
- Suffer the Flesh <- unless you want to break the game, move along, nothing to see here

Thus amply demonstrating the distribution of spells which can actually be made persistent. 'Meh', 'okay I guess' and 'insert new campaign to continue'