PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Material Question

Sugashane
2013-02-06, 11:21 PM
In one of my games I am a Hulking Hurler, and I just got a band that makes thrown weapons automatically return as a reward. So I need to find a way to make a large hammer that can be made, without costing too much. My goal is to get to use my 30 STR to full effect. Is there a material that weighs much more than normal?

Being large with a STR of 30 and having overburdened heave, I can throw 2128 pounds (medium load). I was hoping to be able to throw a hammer that weighs 1600 plus pounds, and would want it to be masterwork.

Any ideas?

herrhauptmann
2013-02-07, 01:42 AM
In one of my games I am a Hulking Hurler, and I just got a band that makes thrown weapons automatically return as a reward. So I need to find a way to make a large hammer that can be made, without costing too much. My goal is to get to use my 30 STR to full effect. Is there a material that weighs much more than normal?

Being large with a STR of 30 and having overburdened heave, I can throw 2128 pounds (medium load). I was hoping to be able to throw a hammer that weighs 1600 plus pounds, and would want it to be masterwork.

Any ideas?
A band? You mean bracers? A belt?

When you're throwing a regular weapon, it deals damage as per its size.
You want to deal damage off of weight, I believe you need to throw a rock a really big rock. If someone tells you to throw a bundle of neutrons, the heart of a neutron star, slap them with a physics or astronomy textbook.

But lets see...
Medium Greathammer (goliath or GH minotaur)=25 pounds
Make it Large 3d6. 50 pounds (Assuming you're an ogre)
Actually make it Huge, and wield it with strong arm bracers. 4d6. 100 pounds
And make it from Gold/Platinum, Magic of Faerun. Damage as if one size category larger (gargantuan) 6d6. 200 pounds.
Gold/Platinum was made in 3.0, when you upgraded a 2d6 greatsword into a 2d8 weapon (each d6 goes to a d8). Now, you follow what the 3.5 PHB/DMG/MM says, where 2d6 and 1d12 both go to 3d6.

If you're naturally bigger than large, you'd go up to 8d6 (400 pounds) for a Huge wielder, or 10d6 (800 pounds)for a gargantuan wielder

andromax
2013-02-07, 02:36 AM
Gold/Platinum was made in 3.0, when you upgraded a 2d6 greatsword into a 2d8 weapon (each d6 goes to a d8). Now, you follow what the 3.5 PHB/DMG/MM says, where 2d6 and 1d12 both go to 3d6.

I second making it out of Heavy Metal. However I don't think that this has ever been addressed or updated to 3.5 so by RAW you would still use the table in Magic of Faerun unless your DM says otherwise.

As a side note, it's better to use the table and be able to convert 1d8s into 2d6s.

Flickerdart
2013-02-07, 02:38 AM
A band? You mean bracers? A belt?
Bard followers that run over and fetch the hammer, obviously. :smalltongue:

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-07, 06:28 AM
Huge gold orcish shotput maybe?

Darrin
2013-02-07, 06:49 AM
I second making it out of Heavy Metal. However I don't think that this has ever been addressed or updated to 3.5 so by RAW you would still use the table in Magic of Faerun unless your DM says otherwise.

Both Gold and Platinum would double the weight of the weapon, but you'd need Exotic Weapon Proficiency to wield it without penalty.

If all you want to do is double the weight, you can use Blended Quartz from the Arms & Equipment Guide. Doubles the weight, but has no other effect on the weapon.

Add Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC) to bump up the weapon size by a category.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-07, 11:38 AM

As a side note, it's better to use the table and be able to convert 1d8s into 2d6s.
Here's the 3.5 version of weapon sizes. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize
Personal vote is that the weapon sizing rules for Heavy weapons should be the same as used in the rest of the game. Not a mishmash of 3.0/3.5.

If you used the mishmash, your greatsword would go to 2d8 for heavy, then you'd upgrade for being Large (3.5 rules), and what would you have? Damage equivalent to the Huge Bastard Sword: 3d8, average 13.5. Whereas, if you used the 3.5 rules for both increases on your greatsword, you'd have 4d6, average 14.
Lets say you get two more increases somehow, 6d8 vs 8d6. Averages of 27 vs 28. It's only a small difference, but the 3.5 rules give slightly more damage, and it's easier to just follow one line on the table, rather than jumping up and down lines as you go along. And if you find a way to keep getting increases (psy war8 with expansion), the differences will get more pronounced.

And yeah, Gold/Heavy does make even a simple weapon an exotic. Therefore, it's best to use a weapon that's already an exotic like the Greathammer.

Sugashane
2013-02-07, 02:19 PM
No, I mean a band, as in a large ring that adjusts to fit the handle of a given weapon. You say a command word to enlarge it, put it slide it onto the handle of the weapon, say the other command word, and it shrinks to fit the weapon snugly.

It would be odd for that to happen though, that a 2000 pound huge hammer wouldn’t go by the weight rules of the table in Complete Warrior, but throwing a chest filled with rocks that weighs 1000 would do more damage. Seems contradictory as the damage is set in part due to the weight of a thrown weapon.

Thank you for the ideas on changing the material. I’ll look it up. I think the “Really Throw Anything” ability would negate the need for the exotic weapon proficiencies, but I’ll talk to my DM.

andromax
2013-02-07, 02:58 PM
Therefore, it's best to use a weapon that's already an exotic like the Greathammer.

Then you'd need 2 exotic proficiencies.

And the table is that they give is fine. Just apply the Heavy Weapon table after you determine the weapons size and it works just fine.