PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Creating Yoda

Da'Shain
2013-02-07, 12:51 AM
I recently made another thread in which I was trying to build a Goblin Ninja. I'm still a fan of the idea. However, the DM whose game I was building it for just informed me that Psionics and Psionic classes are on the table. Which got me thinking that, hey, it might be time to create Yoda in Pathfinder. Not to actually play the character, but to emulate his fighting style in the prequel movies.

How? Soulknife. I know it's still not the best or most mechanically powerful class ... but I'm just looking for a cool concept that'll be fun to play for a few levels. This'll be a Goblin (Tree Runner) Soulknife 3, as I want to try and focus on Acrobatics and the Roll With It feat, to replicate Yoda's bouncing around the battlefield style. I'm thinking a combination of the Nimble Blade and Agile Blade archetypes, to both get bonuses for Dex (and eventually get the Agile ability which just wins everything ever) and to give him at least the option for some cool Psionic powers, as opposed to the kind of powerful but also boring Psychic Strike.

The game is 20 point boy, starting at level 3, all books allowed subject to DM approval. I'd appreciate any advice on build, dips, what to shoot for, or anyone who's made a similar build in the past. Thanks in advance!

Adrayll
2013-02-07, 02:13 AM
Swordsage with a psionic dip, unless there's a initiator/psionic blend PrC I'm forgetting? Get whichever sword enhancement you think suits lightsabers best. Blinding energy? Is that a thing? (clearly, I'm AFB right now).

Feralventas
2013-02-07, 03:07 AM
Goblin with re-fluff, or gnome if not allowed.

Druid with a Monk dip or four (for the 1/2 non-monk class levels adding to monk features feat). Try to avoid using your spells, or if you Must reveal your power, then do so with subtlety, using non-visual effects like SHileilagh or Magic Fang. Wait for the Big Reveal and then Flurry of Blows with a Flame Blade. Keep your Sense Motive and Perception skills as high as possible, and raise your Bluff and Gather Information cross-class. MAX your acrobatics though.

Take an archetype that nukes Wild Shape if you can. Always have one BIG spell, something showy or shiny to really go 'caster.

Edit: you can do the same with Psionics, but consider looking for a class that's wisdom based.

Melayl
2013-02-07, 06:09 AM
Psychic warrior is Wisdom based...

Alefiend
2013-02-07, 11:09 AM
I'd suggest you get Stuart Freeborn to help you, but ... that isn't going to happen (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=stuart-freeborn&pid=162913737#fbLoggedOut).

Da'Shain
2013-02-07, 12:17 PM
Well, I was thinking Soulknife for the "lightsaber" essentially. Again, not looking for the most powerful out there, nor looking to model Yoda's power in the Force a la certain Clone Wars episodes, but rather have a skilled character with a few mystical powers in addition to being a leaping maniac in melee combat.

Also, when I said "all books," I meant all Pathfinder books. Tome of Battle is not an option with this DM.

A PsyWar of some sort might also fit what I'm looking for, but then no lightsaber ... plus I think someone else may be playing a PsyWar.

doko239
2013-02-07, 01:34 PM
Ninja with max UMD and a wand of Flame Blade.