PDA

View Full Version : Would you or would you not talk about this in off-game?

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-07, 05:49 AM
In the D&D 3.5 campaign that I'm running, I've been slowly building the following scenario:
One of the PCs knows a Fire Elemental Weird. I've told the player that the Weird is able to answer any question, provided she is given a valuable gift that pleases her.

Later on, the players find a fire opal worth a lot of gold. They still have it.

Yet later on, they encounter an NPC that has an almost impossible problem (she wants to create an Adventurer's Guild but lacks a guild charter, 100.000+ gold pieces and partners). She asks the players if they know a sage or any of the sort because she would like to ask this question:
"What to do next about the guild?"

The players say that they don't know any sages, but they suggest that she should try to collect the money slowly, bit by bit. The NPC is obviously disappointed and leaves. She needs a divine intervention or something of the sort in order raise that amount of money.

IMO I have the following options:
1. I ask the player why didn't he mention about the Fire Weird. I hate this option because I'm basically planting things to my player's head. It's the same as saying "I'm the DM and you have to do this to win!" I hate resolving in-game issues with off-game dialogue. I like giving my players the keys and see what they do with them.
2. I accept the player's decision and try to find another way to continue the campaign. Maybe they could find another sage somewhere else since the sage they already know is an invalid option for some unknown reason? They keep finding sages until they accept one.
3. Whatever players say works. Since they suggested that the poor NPC can raise 100.000+ gp and valuable contacts all by herself... then she will just do all that. Players can help of course. Without any regard to realism, they just gather that sum of gold and that's it.
4. I forget the whole thing and try something else.

What do you think?

Madeiner
2013-02-07, 06:06 AM
Maybe i didn't get this well, but was the NPC important? Did they care about him? Maybe they just didnt want to use the opal for an unimportant question, posed by someone they don't even care about or offers anything in return.

hymer
2013-02-07, 06:12 AM
I think the best way to respect the players is by letting them do what they want. If they forget things, they forget things. If you remind them of everything (or just every important thing), you take away much of the fun in being good at remembering stuff.
I'd leave the option open - they may remember it eventually. And I'd consider any plan they make and see if it ought to work. If it should work, fine. But if it won't work, it won't work.
And I'd have a side plot ready, in case they can't come up with a plan.

Anyway, this is mostly a style issue. I don't think there's an overall right or wrong way to go about this. Pick whichever you think will best suit your group as a whole.

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-07, 06:16 AM
Maybe i didn't get this well, but was the NPC important? Did they care about him? Maybe they just didnt want to use the opal for an unimportant question, posed by someone they don't even care about or offers anything in return.

Yes she is. The players have been helping her out a lot during the past 20 sessions or so (eg fought in a major tournament just because she asked). I certainly imagine that she is important, but I may be wrong.

TuggyNE
2013-02-07, 06:43 AM
You might bring it up between sessions; perhaps they (and by extension the characters) forgot about the Weird for a while.

Andezzar
2013-02-07, 06:54 AM
Yes she is. The players have been helping her out a lot during the past 20 sessions or so (eg fought in a major tournament just because she asked). I certainly imagine that she is important, but may be wrong.Maybe they are just sick of always rescuing the same "damsel in distress". :smallbiggrin:

The other thing is that while they have access to the Fire Elemental Weird and a Fire Opal worth a lot of gold, they don't necessarily know that the gem would make a gift that pleases the weird.

elpollo
2013-02-07, 08:01 AM

You expect the players to sacrifice a significant treasure on the whims of a friend who can't be bothered to do some simple research - are you so sure that the problem is that they don't remember the Weird? Perhaps the problem is the question the NPC wishes to ask. It's incredibly vague, has endless possible answers (which all run the risk of the NPC being disappointed and leaving, gaining nothing), and the NPC has a pretty solid answer to the problem already (get the charter, raise the money, find partners). The NPC could instead ask how to go about doing this, but it's likely stuff that can be done with a successful Knowledge (Bureaucracy) roll or a few days of trying to meet with some relevant official. I can't really see a good reason to contact the Weird about day to day government busywork.

4. I forget the whole things and try something else.

Do this. If the NPC getting a guild is important to the players they will make it happen. They know it's an option now, and they can do all the work - raise the money, get the charter by doing favours for the local whoever, helping to run it - themselves if they really wish. If they're not interested (and if they aren't offering to help then they probably aren't interested - "Oh, if only you adventurers knew someone who could help me start up this adventuring guild" is not the most subtle of plot hooks) there's no point in forcing it on them.

DigoDragon
2013-02-07, 08:11 AM
I'm leaning toward option #4 as well.
Personal experience here, when players come up with their own ideas it isn't a bad thing to let them go through with it. Denying them creativity tends to lead into disatisfaction and weakened motivation to try.

valadil
2013-02-07, 09:09 AM
I'd skip 2 and 3.

If you're going to go with option 1, at least make it a knowledge check of some sort. Just because the players forgot the sage doesn't mean the PCs did. Whether you do this or option 4 depends on how many plots you have lined up. If you've spent hours prepping for this and little else, I think you can be forgiven for nudging the players this way. If you have other stuff, let them do other stuff.

BlckDv
2013-02-07, 09:37 AM
Another option if the PCs expressed a desire to give her helpful information and seemed to just not put two and two together is a check. Say the next time they do something very fire themed or if the Weird comes up ICly (or another trigger you think of that will happen before too long), have the player who knows about it make some kind of check with a very low DC and then "reveal" to him that the Weird could probably answer that NPCs question.

Making it something that the player earned/gained ICly makes it less railroady, makes the player feel special, and still leaves the option of if they want to reveal it to the NPC open to the players.

prufock
2013-02-07, 09:45 AM
Why would the PCs be invested enough in starting up this Adventurer's Guild on behalf of someone else? They'd have to use up two valuable resources (a pricey opal and intel on anything they want) for what? Unless there is some good incentive other than "help out some NPC," I can see why they wouldn't bother.

I'd say #4.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-07, 06:15 PM
You expect the PCs to, without encouragement, complete a series of self-destructive and unintuitive tasks to progress the plot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SolveTheSoupCans). I shall list some of them.

Recall individual lines of dialogue spoken by NPCs, then later use them unbidden, and in the precise manner the DM desires. Paying attention is hard in an RPG. There's a lot going through your head, and your brain filters out a lot of stuff. People have a lot on their minds too; they can't be bothered to remember every word which comes out of a quest-NPCs mouth.

Helping NPCs without an obvious reward or character goal on the horizon. This is dangerous to a PC, as it may represent "sunk" resources (treasure, hit points, wand charges, spell slots) without reward. You may never get those resources back, and you need everything to fight monsters better. One is even less likely to do this if he perceives the NPC negatively ("he sucks", "she keeps getting kidnapped", "I can't trust her").

Sacrificing treasure. Treasure is a reward, not a plot token. PC logic dictates that all treasure must be converted to either combat effectiveness, more treasure, or laughter. Otherwise, it is wasted. Additionally, even letting NPCs handle these items briefly is dangerous; they may steal or destroy them, or the villain may steal them from the NPC. The only place valuable items are somewhat secure is the PCs own packs, as DMs rarely steal things stored there. This Fire Opal, and the intelligence it may fetch, represents a phenomenal value of treasure. That's something to be kept in reserve until you fight the BBEG, not casually tossed away on some NPC.

Basically, you expect the players to not only read your mind and willingly sacrifice their extremely-valuable and hard-won rewards to a "weak" NPC, without a clear chance of above-average returns (or any reward at all! There is no guarantee, or even a hint that the PCs will get one copper for this task!), but then you wish them to play out the exact scenario in your head, and do this entirely without prompting. Unless you somehow notify them, or your players cast Detect Thoughts on you (or your notes), there's no way they can be reasonably expected to do this.

Matticussama
2013-02-07, 09:59 PM
As is said by a lot of people above, either they don't remember or don't think it is worth their time. Regardless of which, I think it is always better to bring up the situation in-character rather than bring it up OOC. Bringing it up IC makes it seem like a choice; bringing it up OOC makes it seem more forced.

If you want to make this Adventurer's Guild a major plot point, make it worth their while to get involved with the project. Maybe the NPC comes back to them and says that if they help her establish the Guild she will let them be founding members. Have this come with all sorts of RP and mechanical bonuses; the more powerful and influential the guild becomes, their status in it gives them a better reputation in the area (maybe +2 on all charisma-based skill checks within the area the guild is influential in). Have her tell them that they'll get long-term financial rewards if they invest in it now; maybe she will give 10% of all guild proceeds to their group for the time, effort, and money they put into helping her establish it. This would introduce a plot-line far more interesting than just "I sacrifice the fire opal and ask a question." It will allow them to actually build something from the ground-up that the characters (and players) can have an emotional investment in.

All of these things give them concrete reasons to want to get involved. You said that they've had a lot of interaction with the NPC before, so they know they can trust her to fulfill her part of the bargain. By investing some of their resources in the guild now, they can get long-term gain. If the characters (and players) are interested in this sort of status and business relationship, they will jump at the opportunity. If they don't care about it even when it is presented this way to them, then they probably wouldn't do it if you mentioned it OOC anyways unless they felt like you were forcing them to in which case they would resent it.

In the long term it also invites all forms of fun quests. Ex: "The Guild tavern in town X was attacked! If we don't investigate and solve the problem, people won't have faith in the guild and we'll lose credibility (and money!)."

Tanuki Tales
2013-02-07, 10:05 PM
Why would the PCs be invested enough in starting up this Adventurer's Guild on behalf of someone else? They'd have to use up two valuable resources (a pricey opal and intel on anything they want) for what? Unless there is some good incentive other than "help out some NPC," I can see why they wouldn't bother.

I'd say #4.

He already said they had some vested interest in the wants and well-being of said NPC. They even took part in a major event on her request. So it's not like Joe Schmoe asked the Adventuring Wunderkind for their blessed attention.

NichG
2013-02-07, 10:47 PM
Personally I would not think to go to a supernatural entity capable of answering any question and scrying upon the mysteries of the cosmos for business advice. Maybe thats a flaw in myself - it could probably give quite excellent business advice! - but things like 'what do I need to do to start a business' seem best answered by accountants, lawyers, and less-boringly the local nobility. I would be far more likely to have the thought process 'She lacks a charter -> why does she lack a charter (uncooperative guilds/nobility?) -> I need to apply leverage to the nobles -> lets ask the Weird for dirt on the nobles' than 'I don't know what to do next -> ask the Weird for general non-specific advice'.

When you have these 1-use mystical question situations it just feels best to ask something specific where you have some feel for what the answer might be and need to pin it down. Otherwise you risk 'that question was meaningless' kind of responses.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-07, 10:59 PM
Personally I would not think to go to a supernatural entity capable of answering any question and scrying upon the mysteries of the cosmos for business advice.

Step 1. Use Weird to anticipate huge opportunity.

Step 2. Make massive PROFIT!!! from it.

Step 3. Buy another damn Fire Opal or whatever, to make the Weird happy.

Step 4. Refer to Step 1.

Step 4b. If it screws with you, it's only CR 12. They have stats and are vulnerable to mind-affecting and fear. Torture, brainwash, or mind-probe it until you get good information. If this fails, you just kill it, or slap an Eternity of Torture on it if you're of the appropriate level.

NichG
2013-02-07, 11:06 PM
Step 1. Use Weird to anticipate huge opportunity.

Step 2. Make massive PROFIT!!! from it.

Step 3. Buy another damn Fire Opal or whatever, to make the Weird happy.

Step 4. Refer to Step 1.

Yes, well, I'm more the sort to ask questions such as:

- Tell me of a thing that even the gods cannot know about.
- Give me the true name of an entity older than the world.
- Tell me a lie that is universally believed
- Who is responsible for (any particular random weirdness in the world I've observed so far)?
- What are the ways that a spirit can escape from the lands of the dead under their own power?

That kind of thing seems more thematic for the source of the information. I might even do "What three cards will I draw if I ever draw 3 cards from the DoMT?"

Slipperychicken
2013-02-07, 11:16 PM
Yes, well, I'm more the sort to ask questions such as:

- Tell me of a thing that even the gods cannot know about.
- Give me the true name of an entity older than the world.
- Tell me a lie that is universally believed
- Who is responsible for (any particular random weirdness in the world I've observed so far)?
- What are the ways that a spirit can escape from the lands of the dead under their own power?

That kind of thing seems more thematic for the source of the information. I might even do "What three cards will I draw if I ever draw 3 cards from the DoMT?"

If you can turn "1-use" into "at-will market-breaker", you can get a tour of the cosmology later. And as I just ninja-edited into my last post, you can still torture or brain-mash it for info (and you can strike Fear into its heart via torture, Dominate it, or whatever). Regular anti-caster tactics, then pommel it until you get what you want.

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-08, 04:28 AM
Well, I like the fact that the Adventurer's Guild is not obviously the opportunity of a lifetime. Instead, it's a chance for something interesting in the future and the NPC would not forget their help. Finding an answer to the vital question would be something extraordinary, and the PCs would hold a special place in the guild.

It's ok if you want to say it's simply a business matter, but I'd like to see it as a follow-up to the things that have happened so far and a gateway to further adventures.

Also, it's ok if they don't want to "waste" their valuable asset of consulting with the Weird, but I'd certainly like them to use it on something. If I just give you plot hooks that involve the Weird and you just pass them because you are waiting for something else, it's not that pleasant for the DM (me).

Andezzar
2013-02-08, 05:26 AM
Well, I like the fact that the Adventurer's Guild is not obviously the opportunity of a lifetime. Instead, it's a chance for something interesting in the future and the NPC would not forget their help. Finding an answer to the vital question would be something extraordinary, and the PCs would hold a special place in the guild.

It's ok if you want to say it's simply a business matter, but I'd like to see it as a follow-up to the things that have happened so far and a gateway to further adventures.

Also, it's ok if they don't want to "waste" their valuable asset of consulting with the Weird, but I'd certainly like them to use it on something. If I just give you plot hooks that involve the Weird and you just pass them because you are waiting for something else, it's not that pleasant for the DM (me).I think the problem here is that you want the PCs to act in a certain way and the players want them to act in another way. Forcing them to do something rarely is met with any kind of enthusiasm. Especially if it is OOC.

Now onto the specific situation. I guess that the players simply do not see this as "a chance for something interesting in the future and the NPC would not forget their help". At least from what I read until now, I would not. The NPC asks them to help her set up a guild, and refuses their (admittedly mundane) advice. Additionally I have not heard anything that the NPC is willing to do for their help, or whether the PCs will have a position of prestige/authority in the guild, that they are supposed to set up from their own resources. Now if the PCs had some kind of incentive to create that guild they might look at it differently. Still you should not expect them to use such a once in a lifetime (possibly universe) resource on something as mundane as setting up a guild. If they raise the money/bribe officials/do whatever is necessary that should work just as well.

BTW what kind of guild are we talking about, what do they produce/do? How is it that such business is so strictly regulated.

As for raising the funds, just have the wizard use minor creation to create lots of saffron or other expensive vegetables. Too bad truffles are fungi.

Also having worked for said NPC does not necessarily mean that the PCs trust or even like her. So let them do their thing.

As advice for future sessions/campaigns, don't give the PCs anything that you cannot handle if they use it/use it in another way than you expected/not use it.

NichG
2013-02-08, 05:27 AM
Well the thing is, the Weird is an emergency resource for them. If they feel they're honestly stuck, against the wall, etc, they can always fall back on that resource. Because of that it may be best to just make sure they remember they have it OOC, but don't push it as the solution for any given quest.

To put it another way its sort of like the party paladin getting his hands on a Holy Avenger due to a really lucky loot roll, quest reward, etc. Then having someone from his church show up and say 'We really need a Holy Avenger to create a spirit guardian who will watch over this artifact of power that was just recovered.' Yes, its legit for the church to show up asking for help, but to the player it can kind of feel like you're trying to take back something you've given them.

Thats not to say you can't do that, you just have to be a lot more subtle about it and also be willing to accept that it doesn't go the way that's planned. For instance, someone from the church shows up and says 'We need a powerful holy relic to empower a spirit guardian to watch over this artifact of power'. Then maybe the paladin says 'here, take my sword!'. Or maybe he says 'we shall quest for one', or even 'hey what about that thing we recovered for you three sessions ago?' or who knows. But that way it doesn't feel quite so much like you're trying to force them to use up the (very diverse and powerful) toy you just gave them before they can use it for their own ambitions.

Dsurion
2013-02-08, 07:22 AM
Eh. Just tell the players you screwed up by having a plot come to a grinding halt by having only one outcome if and only if they follow a very specific course of action. Then don't do it again. :smallwink:

Jay R
2013-02-08, 08:55 AM
Depends on what the player is thinking.

1. Has he forgotten he can ask any question of th Weird?

2. Has he failed to realize that the fire opal would be the right price?

3. Has he chosen not to waste this rare resource on the NPC?

If I thought it was the first or second case, I'd have the character make a INT roll to remember an important fact. Players forget things all the time.

If it's the third case, they refused your plot hook. Find another.

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-08, 08:59 AM
Eh. Just tell the players you screwed up by having a plot come to a grinding halt by having only one outcome if and only if they follow a very specific course of action. Then don't do it again. :smallwink:

It was the first plot hook, not the only one.

awa
2013-02-08, 09:22 AM
Step 4b. If it screws with you, it's only CR 12. They have stats and are vulnerable to mind-affecting and fear. Torture, brainwash, or mind-probe it until you get good information. If this fails, you just kill it, or slap an Eternity of Torture on it if you're of the appropriate level.

only cr 12!?

okay technical that statement is correct but you forget a weird is horribly cred it's wide range of at will free action divinations means it will know you plan on betraying it before you do and it has 9th level spells both arcane and divine and can trade divination for favors with creatures from its native plane and/or adventurers it also has a wide range of other grossly unfair abilities that make this one extremely tough nut to crack not something you casually attack.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-08, 11:29 AM
only cr 12!?

okay technical that statement is correct but you forget a weird is horribly cred it's wide range of at will free action divinations means it will know you plan on betraying it before you do and it has 9th level spells both arcane and divine and can trade divination for favors with creatures from its native plane and/or adventurers it also has a wide range of other grossly unfair abilities that make this one extremely tough nut to crack not something you casually attack.

[actually reads Weird entry]

Dafuq?! Wow, that is the last time I trust WotC to CR a monster.

But I don't know, if it's played as badly as the designers assume casters play (i.e. not using half of its abilities, blasting, no buffs, no divinations, etc), I could see it being a pretty reasonable challenge to 12 level adventurers.

awa
2013-02-08, 11:54 AM
mm2 is famous for being badly cred
a level 12 party might be able to take one if it was dumb enough but i wouldent want to rely on a super intelligent precog being dumb. by the time being able to beat one is even somewhat reliable you could have just cast the divination your self and cut out the middle man completely

DarkWhisper
2013-02-08, 11:59 AM
What do you think?

4. I forget the whole things and try something else.

This.

Yet later on, they encounter an NPC that has an almost impossible problem (she wants to create an Adventurer's Guild but lacks a guild charter, 100.000+ gold pieces and partners). She asks the players if they know a sage or any of the sort because she would like to ask this question:

Why would any PC sacrifice as much a 2CP to a sage to get an answer to that question ?
There are three answers to the NPCs question -
1) Get a charter
2) Get 100k+ GP
3) Get partners
- now, where is my Fire Opal ? ;)

Seriously, no sage's advice is needed to answer the NPC's question - and certainly not something so valuable as an 'ultimate answer'. If the PCs have a vested interest in the formation of said guild (which, from what I read, I doubt), they will be able to help without sacrificing the ultimate answer and/or the fire opal (though selling it might give them the needed money very fast). There are three plothooks right there, without the need for the weird's answer.

If you want to use the guild as a plot hook, sweeten the deal; the guild is going to have X+1 guildmasters, where X is the number of PCs.
The melee PC is going to be the Master of Blades, the arcane caster PC the Master of Lore, etc., while the NPC is going to be Master of Bureaucracy (i.e. dealing with all the administrative stuff).
Give an opportunity for the guild to host a competition and if the PCs take that offer, have them prevent receive warning of one or more cheaters. They'll either have to (or, at least, giving their best trying to) find the cheater before the whole competition becomes void (and their guild massively loose reputation).

Some time later, someone want to destroy their (in the meantime having become prestigious and influential) guild, using curses / spell-trapped adventurers / spies / whatever. Either the X guildmasters try to deflect each attempt, soon realizing that remaining on the reactive side of things is going to make their live very hard, or actively trying to end the threat.
"But - Oh Noes - we don't have a clue who's responsible. Poor Us !"
"Wait... wasn't there that elemental weird...?"

Alejandro
2013-02-08, 12:07 PM
If it was my PC, I would take advantage of the situation thus:

- Find a wealthy backer who can provide the money to start the guild
- Give them this deal: They partner with me to start the guild. They provide the startup cash, and I provide them access to the weird's one ultimate answer, which they can use however they wish. If possible, I also get 10% of the guild's take or the money they probably use the answer to earn.
- Present the NPC with this setup, and cut her in on it, in exchange for a share of her profits as well, or at least lifetime membership and spellcasting benefits from said guild.

Calmar
2013-02-08, 05:06 PM
Maybe you should elaborate a bit more on the relationship between the NPC and the characters, Jon_Dahl. Because to me it seems the PCs would be better off using their wits and ressources to found their own endeavour.

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-09, 11:52 AM
Maybe you should elaborate a bit more on the relationship between the NPC and the characters, Jon_Dahl. Because to me it seems the PCs would be better off using their wits and ressources to found their own endeavour.

The story actually very long, but I'm happy to try to summarize it:
Dozens of sessions ago, a certain NPC inherited a vast sum of money. The PCs knew both the inheritor and his the NPC who left the inheritance. The NPC (a bit simple low-level warrior who had first featured in 2009) said that he would like to create some kind of organization (he was also strictly lawful). Then the idea of estabishing an Adventurers Guild come up.

At that time the PCs helped him out a lot and the guild was already almost ready. The leading NPCs were the warrior, a certain old man and a certain old lady.

The kingdom was destroyed and the guild also. The warrior died, but the old man and woman remained. Without any resources or contacts they tried to start everything again in another kingdom. The PCs had died too.

Now the old man is also dead, because he wasn't saved after he was kidnapped. The PCs have changed numerous times before and after his death. Now only the old lady is alive and their previous PCs had helped her out. Now she would like the same help from these PCs.

So the PCs actually have nothing invested in this lady and the relationship is shallow at best, but the history with the actual players is long and rich.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-09, 12:14 PM
So the PCs actually have nothing invested in this lady and the relationship is shallow at best, but the history with the actual players is long and rich.

So... not only do you expect the PCs to spontaneously perform such unreasonable and self-destructive acts to advance the plot, but you also expect them to metagame to do it.

DaTedinator
2013-02-09, 12:51 PM
So... not only do you expect the PCs to spontaneously perform such unreasonable and self-destructive acts to advance the plot, but you also expect them to metagame to do it.

I'm not sure I agree with the "self-destructive" descriptor, but otherwise QFT. The characters have no reason to help this lady buy her groceries, much less give her their only answer to ANY question. You want the players to act on out-of-character reasoning to spend their own extremely valuable resources on someone they only just met.

My advice is not to mention it again, in-character or out. I'd have her offer the characters some reasonable quests with tangible rewards for them (not just her eternal gratitude; remember, they have no history with her and no reason to, say, trust her business sense). The quests can slowly work towards the establishment of the guild, if that's what you want; that way the guild gets built, like you want, and the players build a relationship with her, letting her make big requests of them in the future.

Scow2
2013-02-09, 05:40 PM
Wow... seems the bile came out after that last comment.

Just because they aren't the same characters that made the first deal with her grandfather doesn't mean the players don't have a stake in her story. Are they actually a whole new party, or the same party with a whole new cast? (As in, pursuing the same goals and plot threads as the original party, along with a similar tone)

If so - I wouldn't completely ditch or forget about the NPC unless the players want the legacy of the NPC and their old party to end. I don't think it's wrong to remind them about their resources, but make it clear they don't have to waste them on this plot thread.

However - A Fire Weird's answer would DEFINITELY be wasted on acquiring the gold to found such a guild, unless they can get a question that's answer results in a chain of events that more than pays off the investment of "The Ultimate Answer."

My question is why the heck does it cost 100,000 GP just to start up a guild!?! That's crazy-obscene wealth!

SowZ
2013-02-10, 12:43 AM
Let me ask you this. If a person had the power to ask a supernatural being a question that could answer ANY human dilemma/scientific question/etc. etc. and that person instead asked for a first-year-business model for their uncles start up car dealership, how silly would you think that person is? Would you be upset? I probably would be.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-10, 12:52 AM
My question is why the heck does it cost 100,000 GP just to start up a guild!?! That's crazy-obscene wealth!

The DMG2 business rules. Yes, they aren't worth the paper they're written on, and are better used as kindling.

awa
2013-02-10, 01:11 AM
if i were a pc and had acquired or knew how to acquire 100,000 gp i would spend it on gear not a guild. 100,000 gold is a good haul for a level 20 encounter.

now if this gold was going to be used to perform a magic ritual to stop the awakening of an evil god or to fund an army to fight off an imminent threat i could see a party getting behind it but just to form a guild? that's crazy.

Jay R
2013-02-10, 10:40 AM
I'd be all too tempted to call up the Weird, give him the fire opal, and ask, "How can I help her start her guild in a way that I can easily and safely slay her and take it over once it's a success?"

Calmar
2013-02-10, 07:00 PM
Now I wonder, why would anyone spend 100,000 gp on a guild?
What is an adventurer's guild good for? How does it even work? Is it like a mercenary company, or something??
How much money does it earn?
Why not start your own guild with 100k if it's such a useful thing? Or why not manage adventurers without spending 100k and buy a castle instead?

NichG
2013-02-10, 07:57 PM
Given the paperwork, assumedly the existence of a Guild legitimizes the activities of adventurers and provides some protection against adventurers running up against local laws or having their incredibly valuable possessions seized on a pretext. This works assuming a world where governments have higher level groups of characters and go straight from zero to excessive force, and only prey on adventuring parties 4 levels lower than their enforcers.

Having a Guild would then mean that if X kingdom used its six Lv10 enforcers to 'arrest' and loot a Lv6 party, the Guild sends its twelve Lv15 characters to overturn that kingdom.

Other practical things a Guild could do - maintain a standard set of shared gear, such that one party uses it while the other party is in downtime. The cash then goes to replace items that were lost to attrition. Basically this could increase the WBL of all members by 25% or better, and would give lower level characters a huge boost until they got to more survivable levels by over-gearing them.

awa
2013-02-10, 08:04 PM
if your using the dmg 2 rules then you sink a lot of money into the guild and then you spend hours operating the guild and make a roll if you could afford the guild in the first place you will pass this check and make some money although the odds of you every recouping you initial investment are unlikely unless your game has several year time skips between adventures

Ubercaledor
2013-02-10, 09:07 PM
As said before, you're asking them to metagame the rationale for helping, but TBH the first thing that pops into my head hearing that background isn't "Ok, well if we help out here, we have a very powerful backer." It is that "Well, the last time we helped these people out, the DM just steamrolled the whole operation. This new guild will be around for like, 2 game weeks before the DM starts accusing us of munchkining and nerfs all the benefits."

You can't teach the players that "everything is temporary and in business, sometimes you fail" and then expect them to turn into entrepreneurs. Maybe they don't feel that the sociopolitical system is stable enough to reliably break even?

I'm not saying that it didn't make sense to story or anything, but I have to agree that it doesn't make sense for the characters or the players to agree to help with this plot. And plus it actually doesn't sound like fun- summon a NPC to talk to a NPC. Enter the cutscene.

Maybe if the hook was phrased more directly, like "I don't have the funds to do X, but if we can somehow blackmail Y we can probably get the whole thing set up. I hear Y keeps a dirty little secret locked in a tower somewhere, but no-one seems to know where."

This is the sort of thing that lets them DO something. Plus if they disregard the hook to summon the Wierd, there are still plenty of ways they could take the hook- by trying to infiltrate the home of Y and find hints, trying to scry for the location using something they located, trying to trick Y into divulging the information... And each of them can have their own consequences. And the more things they fail, the more angry/suspicious Y becomes to the point that they basically need to either find the blackmail information or risk being executed.

At that point, the players see urgency and feel backed into a corner. That is when they will think "Oh, we'd better use this fire gem now!"

So even though you haven't altered the player's aims, you have them invested in the scenario, and possibly even expended multiple sessions worth of adventure.

Jon_Dahl
2013-02-11, 12:07 AM
It's alright. I guess I will just forget about the whole thing then.

The players would have received rewards for helping to start the guild and more, since the guild would have become a huge success. They would've been one of the first heroes of guild and had access to many possibilities that are not normally available in my game, such as trading in magical items and resurrection magic.

It's ok though, I have the next session planned out already.