PDA

View Full Version : Improve my Warblade('s gear)

Andezzar
2013-02-07, 06:19 AM
Since some of my questions were not answered in the RAW thread, I'll try to find answers here.

I'm playing a Chaotic Good Draconic Human Barbarian2/Fighter2/Warblade4 with the following stats (before items):

Abilities:
Str 20 (+5), Dex 16 (+3), Con 16 (+3), Int 14 (+2), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 10 (+0)

Skills:
Climb +16, Concentration +14, Intimidate +13, Jump +28, Survival +5, Swim +16, Tumble +16

Feats:
Dragon Wings, Jotunbrud, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack
The feat for Level 9 will be Improved Dragon wings.

Maneuvers and Stances:
Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Pearl of Black Doubt, Steel Wind, Wall of Blades, Iron Heart Surge, Leading the Charge

The character also gets the Spiritual Lion Totem instead of the Speed boost.

So here are my questions now:

What is your opinion on retraining Rage for Whirling Frenzy on this build?
I recently found out that you cannot tumble in any armor that reduces my speed. Is there any suit of armor comparable to the +1 Restful Mithral Full Plate I erroneously bought?
What special materials are considered metal for the purpose of the metalline special ability (Underdark p. 69)? How about Aurorum, Flametouched Iron, Pandemonic Silver or Rierdan Crysteel?
Does the metalline special ability work if put on a +1 dragonfang weapon? How about other inherently non-metallic weapons?
H recently came into possession of a nice pile of gold (almost 19k) Any suggestions what to buy? Besides the aforementioned suit of armor he also has:
Least Crystal of Aquatic Action
Least Crystal of Adaptation
Boots of Striding (custom magic item like the boots of springing and striding minus the Jump bonus)
+1 Ring of Protection
+1 Amulet of Natural Armor
Survival Pouch
Handy Haversack
I was thinking about a Novice Stone Dragon Belt (Mountain Hammer) and Horn of Plenty or a Banner of the Storm's Eye & frame, but probably some boring ability enhancements are needed.

JeminiZero
2013-02-07, 07:28 AM
I recently found out that you cannot tumble in any armor that reduces my speed. Is there any suit of armor comparable to the +1 Restful Mithral Full Plate I erroneously bought?

The wording of Tumble is that "You can't use this skill if your speed has been reduced by armor, excess equipment, or loot." Which means that you can tumble in your Mithral Full Plate, so long as your speed is not reduced. See whether your DM will allow the Tooth of Savnok (Tome of Magic) to ignore speed penalties of heavy armor.

Otherwise just switch to Light Armor, and use Dex boost gear to make up the difference.

H recently came into possession of a nice pile of gold (almost 19k) Any suggestions what to buy? Besides the aforementioned suit of armor he also has:

19K is enough gold to buy an animated heavy shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated), for 9k+ which grants +3 AC. Possibly more if your casters prepare Magic Vestment.

Ring of Anticipation (Drow of the Underdark) lets you roll twice for initiative and take the better of the two for 6k.

I also like the Shadowy Diadem (Dragon Magic) for Energy Drain protection, and basic concealment as a swift action. Lasts 1 minute, doable 3/day for a mere 4k.

The rest of the stuff below is from Magic Item Compendium.

19k is enough for a Belt of Battle (12k).

Psychoactive Skin of the Power Dampening (10k) can help you soak spell damage a few times per day, and doesn't take up a traditional slot.

Talisman of Undying Fortitude grants some nice immunities for 8k gp.

You can start investing in skill-boosting gear. For example, the Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2.5k for +5 or Third Eye Concentrate (10k for +10) to boost concentration (which will be useful for all your Diamond Mind maneuvers).

Armbands of Might is basically free +2 damage with any power attack, for 4.1k.

A Scouts Headband can grant See Invis/True Seeing for 1 minute at 3.4k.

Heart Seeking Amulet lets you make a Melee Touch Attack 3/day for 3k.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-07, 07:32 AM
Isn't there an armor enchantment that lets you move at full speed under medium load or in medium armor? Can't recall where I am remembering it from though...

Andezzar
2013-02-07, 07:52 AM
See whether your DM will allow the Tooth of Savnok (Tome of Magic) to ignore speed penalties of heavy armor.The problem is not allowing the tooth but getting it. There is only one in the world and nobody knows how to make one or if it can even be made.

Otherwise just switch to Light Armor, and use Dex boost gear to make up the difference.A mithral breastplate and a +4 DEX item unfortunately is out of my reach for the moment and still I would be 1 AC short.

19K is enough gold to buy an animated heavy shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#animated), for 9k+ which grants +3 AC. Possibly more if your casters prepare Magic Vestment.I will probably go with that sooner or later. I don't like the idea of having a shield hovering around very much. Too bad than an unlimited uses item of Shield will not be sold for the price the guidelines suggest.

Ring of Anticipation (Drow of the Underdark) lets you roll twice for initiative and take the better of the two for 6k.Nice idea. At least for a couple of levels. Once I get Moment of Alacrity though it will become a lot less useful.

I also like the Shadowy Diadem (Dragon Magic) for Energy Drain protection, and basic concealment as a swift action. Lasts 1 minute, doable 3/day for a mere 4k.Cool

19k is enough for a Belt of Battle (12k).Always a nice one.

Psychoactive Skin of the Power Dampening (10k) can help you soak spell damage a few times per day, and doesn't take up a traditional slot.Those fullbody condoms are weird.

Talisman of Undying Fortitude grants some nice immunities for 8k gp.

You can start investing in skill-boosting gear. For example, the Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2.5k for +5 or Third Eye Concentrate (10k for +10) to boost concentration (which will be useful for all your Diamond Mind maneuvers).Good idea, but the only maneuvers where I actually will roll Concentration, are the save replacers and the skill bonus will probably be high enough with a CON item.

Armbands of Might is basically free +2 damage with any power attack, for 4.1k.Nice

A Scouts Headband can grant See Invis/True Seeing for 1 minute at 3.4k.It's on my wishlist already

Heart Seeking Amulet lets you make a Melee Touch Attack 3/day for 3k.Good idea for when I can't charge.

@Fouredged sword: I think this only applies to a load not the reduction of armor. if there is such an item/enchantment, I'd really like to know.

Darrin
2013-02-07, 09:30 AM
What is your opinion on retraining Rage for Whirling Frenzy on this build?

Whirling Frenzy is pure awesomesauce. If you can retrain for it, get it.

Well, there's the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark), which would make the full plate count as light armor. Kind of expensive, though. If retraining is on the table, there's a Fighter ACF in Dragon #355 called Armored Savant that lets you treat armor as if it were one weight category lighter. I think you have to give up your bonus feat for that, though.

Otherwise, trade in the mithral fullplate for a mithral breastplate + some other defensive items. Darkleaf is actually cheaper, unless you're trying to maximize your Dex bonus. Hmm. +1 restful mithral full plate is... 12K? Let's see what we can do with that...

3100 GP, +1 Darkleaf Restful Breastplate (+6 armor bonus)
9157 GP, +1 Animated Heavy Shield (+3 shield bonus)
---------
12257 GP Total (in the neighborhood, at least)

What special materials are considered metal for the purpose of the metalline special ability (Underdark p. 69)? How about Aurorum, Flametouched Iron, Pandemonic Silver or Rierdan Crysteel?
Does the metalline special ability work if put on a +1 dragonfang weapon? How about other inherently non-metallic weapons?

Metalline was updated in the MIC. By RAW, it can only change its composition to adamantine, alchemical silver, cold iron, or ordinary steel.

What exactly do you need metalline for? If you're just trying to bypass DR, then Transmuting (also in the MIC) might be more effective for the not-so-common DRs.

As far as other items to buy, check with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101), but I highly approve of the Stone Dragon Belt (one of my Fab Four (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8)).

If you're doing anything with Diamond Mind strikes, grab a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +5 competence bonus on *all* Concentration checks, not just spellcasting.

Armbands of Might (4100 GP, MIC) are great for extra Power Attack damage. However, I'm also a big fan of Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC).

I'd consider swapping or upgrading your augment crystals for a Crystal of Alacrity (+5' speed, MIC p. 195) if you stick with the full plate, otherwise a Lesser Rubicund Frenzy if you switch to the breastplate. If you can pick up an animated shield, get a Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection on it ASAP (+5 untyped bonus against all ranged attacks).

Although they may interfere with recoverying maneuvers as a Warblade, swift-action-move items are always good to have: Anklet of Translocation, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, Quicksilver Boots. I also like the Bolt Shirt (5000 GP, MIC): 1/day, teleport up to 60' as a *move* action, which pairs up nicely with standard-action strikes. Boots of Swift Passage work a little similar, 5/day teleport up to 20' as a move action.

Oh, and I almost forget... stock up on some Feather Tokens: Trees and Swan Boats. Once you're flying, drop them on anything that isn't showing a sufficient amount of flatness.

Andezzar
2013-02-07, 10:02 AM
Whirling Frenzy is pure awesomesauce. If you can retrain for it, get it. ACK

Well, there's the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark), which would make the full plate count as light armor. Kind of expensive, though.I thought the same thing.

If retraining is on the table, there's a Fighter ACF in Dragon #355 called Armored Savant that lets you treat armor as if it were one weight category lighter. I think you have to give up your bonus feat for that, though.Retraining is on the table but Dragon Magazines aren't. That would have been my first choice, but we don't have access to those magazines.

Otherwise, trade in the mithral fullplate for a mithral breastplate + some other defensive items. Darkleaf is actually cheaper, unless you're trying to maximize your Dex bonus. Hmm. +1 restful mithral full plate is... 12K? Let's see what we can do with that...Darkleaf is out, that's Eberron stuff. Or is it in another book as well?

3100 GP, +1 Darkleaf Restful Breastplate (+6 armor bonus)
9157 GP, +1 Animated Heavy Shield (+3 shield bonus)
---------
12257 GP Total (in the neighborhood, at least)Mithral breastplate+animated shield without the restful property (can sleep in light armor anyways) should also be in the same ball park. I think I'll save some of the money though to get an animates mithral heavy shield though to minimize the ACP.

Metalline was updated in the MIC. By RAW, it can only change its composition to adamantine, alchemical silver, cold iron, or ordinary steel.D'oh! Forgot about that.

What exactly do you need metalline for? If you're just trying to bypass DR, then Transmuting (also in the MIC) might be more effective for the not-so-common DRs. Thanks, Overcoming DR was exactly my idea. It makes the Stone Dragon belt less necessary though.

As far as other items to buy, check with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101), but I highly approve of the Stone Dragon Belt (one of my Fab Four (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8)).Will do.

If you're doing anything with Diamond Mind strikes, grab a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +5 competence bonus on *all* Concentration checks, not just spellcasting.I'm considering it.

Armbands of Might (4100 GP, MIC) are great for extra Power Attack damage. However, I'm also a big fan of Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC). Too many nice things to little money - as always.

I'd consider swapping or upgrading your augment crystals for a Crystal of Alacrity (+5' speed, MIC p. 195) if you stick with the full plate, otherwise a Lesser Rubicund Frenzy if you switch to the breastplate. If you can pick up an animated shield, get a Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection on it ASAP (+5 untyped bonus against all ranged attacks). God choices, all of them.

Although they may interfere with recoverying maneuvers as a Warblade, swift-action-move items are always good to have: Anklet of Translocation, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, Quicksilver Boots. I also like the Bolt Shirt (5000 GP, MIC): 1/day, teleport up to 60' as a *move* action, which pairs up nicely with standard-action strikes. Boots of Swift Passage work a little similar, 5/day teleport up to 20' as a move action. Interesting ideas. I was planning to eventually get Master Shadow Hands for Shadow Blink, but having something in the meantime is good.

Oh, and I almost forget... stock up on some Feather Tokens: Trees and Swan Boats. Once you're flying, drop them on anything that isn't showing a sufficient amount of flatness.Lol. Too bad there is no Feather Token: Anvil or Feather Token: Piano.

Darrin
2013-02-07, 10:13 AM
Darkleaf is out, that's Eberron stuff. Or is it in another book as well?

Arms & Equipment Guide p. 19.

Andezzar
2013-02-07, 11:21 AM
Arms & Equipment Guide p. 19.Cool, Thanks