PDA

View Full Version : Magic combo

Elycium
2013-02-07, 09:16 AM
Well, this is for question everyone´s experience whit magic. What would be the most useful or good combo whit magic that you pulled or you can imagine whit the use of metamagic or alike.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-07, 11:58 AM
"with"
"whit" means something else.

Look at the Mailman Sorcerer or Cindy.
Both come prepackaged with spell/metamagic combos.

Unusual Muse
2013-02-07, 12:09 PM
Can you be a little more specific in what you're looking for? Maybe establish some parameters? That's a broad question.

Norin
2013-02-07, 12:21 PM
my favourite Combo...

Many levels of caster class + much metamagic - alot of metamagic cost + powerful spells = nice!!!

Slipperychicken
2013-02-07, 12:27 PM
Details. We need them. What are you trying to do? Aside from mangle the word "with".

Generally speaking, you want to always progress your spellcasting class feature. This will help. D&D magic is extremely versatile and powerful, so there's a lot you can do, even with something as simple as a single-class Wizard. Multiclassing is rarely worth it for a magic-user, although some prestige classes (the ones which advance spellcasting every level) are good ideas.

Karoht
2013-02-07, 12:29 PM
Greater Arcane Fusion + Celerity = Hilarity.

jaynus006
2013-02-07, 12:34 PM
Prestidigitation + one pot chili and enter your local chili cookoff!

Elycium
2013-02-07, 12:36 PM
Details. We need them. What are you trying to do? Aside from mangle the word "with".

Generally speaking, you want to always progress your spellcasting class feature. This will help. D&D magic is extremely versatile and powerful, so there's a lot you can do, even with something as simple as a single-class Wizard. Multiclassing is rarely worth it for a magic-user, although some prestige classes (the ones which advance spellcasting every level) are good ideas.

Oh, sorry lol, yes, my English definitely is not the best.

But what I am asking is about a pure wizard, what you could pull whit that.

Something like: Time Stop + Delayed blast fireball

Or Time Stop + Force Cage

I was thinking of using this for the experienced players’ whit wizards, give us some tips to people like me, who want to improve whit the class. For killing monster, deceiving people, etc.

In short, kill the enemy before the enemy kills you.

Karoht
2013-02-07, 12:42 PM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whit
"The least bit; an iota: doesn't give a whit what was said; not a whit afraid."

This word you keep using? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Cloudkill + Forcecage is a perenial favorite of many casters.

Vaz
2013-02-07, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised noone came out with "inb4 grammar nazi's". Or "inb4 inb4 grammar nazi's".

Really people.

But to the crux, yes details please.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-07, 12:49 PM
Something to immobilize enemies + something to hurt them over time. Like:
Black Tentacles + Cloudkill
Solid Fog + Vortex of Teeth

Celerity + Time Stop (so you always go first).

Prismatic Wall / Cloudkill /... + Telekinesis (push them back into the nasty effect)

herrhauptmann
2013-02-07, 12:49 PM
Here, be batman
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002

Elycium
2013-02-07, 12:53 PM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/whit
"The least bit; an iota: doesn't give a whit what was said; not a whit afraid."

This word you keep using? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Cloudkill + Forcecage is a perenial favorite of many casters.

You shall have my thanks, for thy class of English xD

But to the crux, yes details please.

I am trying to know what spells combinations could be good for finishing enemies fast, or at least put them at bay.

I'm surprised noone came out with "inb4 grammar nazi's". Or "inb4 inb4 grammar nazi's".

Really people.

Thanks for understand :)

Something to immobilize enemies + something to hurt them over time. Like:
Black Tentacles + Cloudkill
Solid Fog + Vortex of Teeth

Celerity + Time Stop (so you always go first).

Prismatic Wall / Cloudkill /... + Telekinesis (push them back into the nasty effect)

Those are really good ones.

Here, be batman
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002

Now I can be Batman :O

Kazyan
2013-02-07, 01:06 PM
You can't do this except with a Theurge or having a second caster in the party, but: Impeding Stones (Druid) + Slow (Sorc/Wiz).

Enemies require a Reflex save to avoid going prone.
Then they need to spend their only action to stand up.
Next round, they need to make another Reflex save...

Norin
2013-02-07, 01:12 PM
Check out this 4 page long thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265732) about spell combos. It's alot of funny stuff there!

Karoht
2013-02-07, 01:13 PM
Striking first is a big deal. Nerveskitter from Spell Compendium is an excellent first level spell.
Celerity is great because it gives you extra actions, action economy is a big deal.
Arcane Fusion and it's big brother Greater Arcane Fusion let you fire more than one spell in a single standard action.

Meld into Stone + Project Image, excellent combo for attacking via an illusion while you are safe and sound melded into a block of stone within the area. The stone can be the floor, the wall, the ceiling, and it can be rather difficult for the enemy to narrow down which stone you are in. Meanwhile, the illusion of you is still throwing spells around.

Aqueous Orb + Sleetstorm is a low level combo I rather enjoy for keeping casters out of a fight. Aqueous Orb is a Pathfinder spell, but it basically is a ball of water that picks up creatures and moves them. Sleetstorm on something like a group of casters, now they can't hit you unless they have the spell Snowsight available. If the casters manage to make it out of the Sleetstorm, the Aqueous Orb picks them up and takes them back into the Sleetstorm. And if there are any traps or pitfalls in the area, Aqueous Orb and drive into those and set them off, or drop into the pit, or what have you.

Sleetstorm + Snowsight is an excellent defensive setup, as is Obscuring Snow + Snowsight. A wand of Snowsight pays for itself pretty quickly if you're going to use Obscuring Snow.

Wall of Force and Wall of Stone are my favorite 'wall of X' spells.

Anti-Magic Field + Extraordinary Spell Aim (feat) is pretty darned cool. You can stand in your own Anti-Magic Field and cast spells out of it, particularly the Orb of X spells. Orb of Force is reliable damage, Orb of Acid leaves a debuff, Orb of Fire + Searing Spell (feat) is some excellent high output damage, and can daze(?) opponents as well.

Really people.
Sorry, but the opportunity to quote the immortal Inigo Montoya was just too tempting.

Elycium
2013-02-07, 01:22 PM
Anti-Magic Field + Extraordinary Spell Aim (feat) is pretty darned cool. You can stand in your own Anti-Magic Field and cast spells out of it, particularly the Orb of X spells. Orb of Force is reliable damage, Orb of Acid leaves a debuff, Orb of Fire + Searing Spell (feat) is some excellent high output damage, and can daze(?) opponents as well.

Wow, this one is amazing O_o

Check out this 4 page long thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265732) about spell combos. It's alot of funny stuff there!

herrhauptmann
2013-02-07, 02:04 PM
Meld into Stone + Project Image, excellent combo for attacking via an illusion while you are safe and sound melded into a block of stone within the area. The stone can be the floor, the wall, the ceiling, and it can be rather difficult for the enemy to narrow down which stone you are in. Meanwhile, the illusion of you is still throwing spells around.

How does this one help?

Project image only lets you cast illusions on yourself. You can cast spells on other people so long as you have line of effect between your image and them.
But Meld into stone only lets you cast spells on yourself.

So with the two of them, you're limited to casting illusions spells on yourself only.

Elycium
2013-02-07, 02:08 PM
How does this one help?

Project image only lets you cast illusions on yourself. You can cast spells on other people so long as you have line of effect between your image and them.

So with the two of them, you're limited to casting illusions spells on yourself only.

Hmmm, maybe to ensure your escape of a really bad situation?

Karoht
2013-02-07, 02:32 PM
How does this one help?

Perhaps the Pathfinder version (which is the version of Project Image I was working from) is more clear.

Quote: pathfinderSRD.com
You can see through its eyes and hear through its ears as if you were standing where it is, and during your turn you can switch from using its senses to using your own, or back again, as a free action. While you are using its senses, your body is considered blinded and deafened.

If you desire, any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the projected image instead of from you. The projected image can't cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells. The spells affect other targets normally, despite originating from the projected image.
http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/project-image
So I can transfer my consciousness from the stone to the image, and I can still cast any spell with a range of touch or greater, as though it originates from the illusion. The illusion however, needs to remain within line of effect between itself and the block of stone. Anything between the two which would normally block line of effect cancels the Project Image. I can still cast illusion spells on the illusion, meaning I can do things like cast Mirror Image or Blur on the illusion. Or Invisibility.

To clarify further, cast Project Image before casting Meld into Stone. Transfer consciousness to Image, spam away with whatever I want, ensuring that the Image remains within line of effect to the stone.

Savith9
2013-02-07, 04:36 PM
I would have to say the combination our party wizard pulled off he picked of a feat from book of ultimate feats that upped the time catagory by two at the cost of a slot 2 lvls higher and another feat that reduced metamagic spell casting cost by 1 so he was able to do 8th level buffs with it. Most of his buffs lasted for an average of 20 days a few lasted longer some shorter. I would have to get the feat names from him but going into a fight fully buffed for the next two weeks was always a nice perk.

Kazyan
2013-02-07, 04:41 PM
I would have to say the combination our party wizard pulled off he picked of a feat from book of ultimate feats that upped the time catagory by two at the cost of a slot 2 lvls higher and another feat that reduced metamagic spell casting cost by 1 so he was able to do 8th level buffs with it. Most of his buffs lasted for an average of 20 days a few lasted longer some shorter. I would have to get the feat names from him but going into a fight fully buffed for the next two weeks was always a nice perk.

Hmm...That Feat + Midnight Metamagic + Other Incarnum Feat = You are now uber-persisting, like, every single spell you know. Please tell me there's some kind of balancing factor.