PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Building Help

Rektro
2013-02-07, 02:44 PM
Our DM has given us something new to play with.

The rules of our campaign are as follows.

1. Only books that are allowed are Players HB, Players HB II, Psionic Handbook, and Extended Psionic Handbook.

2. 40 point ability score buy

3. Feat every 2 levels. 1 at the first, 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.

He said metamagic feats from other books are okay, so long as nothing gets too ridiculous, however the only spells we can have must be in those books.

50,000 gp and a free +6 to any abilityscore item.

I want to build a beguiler, but I also want to feel like I can help in combat other than crowd control. Basically, I enjoy playing rogues and using sneak attacks, and possibly want to add that to my beguiler via arcane trickster without screwing him up too much?

Any further advice? I'd also like to pump up my Save DC as high as I can. Items arent REALLY restricted to books, so Veil of allure is already on my list of To Gets.

We are starting at level 10.

Rektro
2013-02-07, 02:46 PM
One more thing I forgot to add is he edited the races.

all of the races act like their equivilents in pathfinder except for human and half orc.

He gave humans +2 to any stat, -2 to any stat. Dunno why.

and he gave half orcs +2 Str +2 Con, -2 Cha. Also dont know why.

Rektro
2013-02-07, 02:51 PM
Just to give you guys an idea on what I was thinking of doing.

The only thoughts I have right now are these, which was before I wanted to "arcane trickster - it - up".

Beguiler10 (wanted to continue to level 20 for overcome spell resist but was afraid I would get increasingly bored of this style of play)

Elf

Str 8
Dex 20
Con 10
Int 22 (2 racial 2 ability score incr. then +6 item on top of that)
Wis 10
Cha 10 (didnt want a penalty for UMD)

Spell focus and greater spell focus on both Illusions and Enchantments

Veil of allure 14k

Celestial armor 28k~?

Sculpt Spell (wanted to use it on legion of setinals and solid fog maybe)

????????????????

thats really about it :l

If I'm doing anything wrong please tell me. Thanks again!

Oscredwin
2013-02-07, 02:56 PM
I would trade the Dex for some Con, you only have a d6 HD.

Also, buy more inexpensive items rather than a few big ticket items. Magic item power grows linearly while price grows exponentially.

Deaxsa
2013-02-07, 02:58 PM
Arcane Strike from Complete warrior is very 'direct combat' and lets you use up spell slots in order to buff your damage and attack (by +1d4 and +1 per level of spell, for spell level of rounds), it's not QUITE metamagic, but it could replace your sneak attack. (since i'm pretty sure that beguilers don't get sneak attacks). however, if you're bent on going arcane trickster, you're going to have to dip at least one level into rogue, but that's not going to damage your progression too bad, because arcane tricksters get full progression.

Rektro
2013-02-07, 03:02 PM
I would trade the Dex for some Con, you only have a d6 HD.

Also, buy more inexpensive items rather than a few big ticket items. Magic item power grows linearly while price grows exponentially.

Good point. Any idea on how much though? Ill also be the rogue for the party since noone else can disable traps.

Id gladly drop the celestial armor but the veil seems extremely useful to a beguiler who revolves around illusions and enchantments.

Rektro
2013-02-07, 03:14 PM
Arcane Strike from Complete warrior is very 'direct combat' and lets you use up spell slots in order to buff your damage and attack (by +1d4 and +1 per level of spell, for spell level of rounds), it's not QUITE metamagic, but it could replace your sneak attack. (since i'm pretty sure that beguilers don't get sneak attacks). however, if you're bent on going arcane trickster, you're going to have to dip at least one level into rogue, but that's not going to damage your progression too bad, because arcane tricksters get full progression.

It would take 3 dips of rogue because the trickster requires sneak attack 2d6. Which would hurt me pretty badly imo. The sneak attack would be nice but if itll hurt me that bad then it may not be worth it.

Ill also have to run it by the dm and party to see how they feel about that feat, it may make up for no sneak attack then. Ive got a feeling going part trickster would hurt me more than help me.

Randomguy
2013-02-07, 04:21 PM
You could get yourself a couple of pieces of the Raiment of the Four (the gloves and the goggles) to let you cast magic missile and fireball a few times per day. That'll boost your combat capabilities a bit.

You could get yourself an eternal wand or a regular wand of Hunter's Eye (PHB2). That'll give you some sneak attack.