PDA

View Full Version : Noble trouble 2.0

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-07, 03:02 PM
Houserules:
1-Initiative. I roll initiative for everyone, monsters and players, when combat starts. This is just a PbP-specific rule, but it speeds up the game tremendously: We don't have to wait 3 or 4 days for everyone to make an iniative roll and then two days again for the player that rolled highest to tune in. When combat happens, I make the rolls and announce order of action. I will roll them in the IC thread in a spoiler, so you can all check it. This is not about DM fudging the combat, but about speeding things up. If you beat me to it, I will adopt your roll, but once I have announced the order of acting, it is set.

Template:
Initiative
Søren Va [roll]1d20+6[/roll
Jord Hrolfsson [roll]1d20[/roll
Berend Jan [roll]1d20+6[/roll
Zirc [roll]1d20+5[/roll

2-Dying. Characters (and monsters and NPC's) do not die at -10, but rather at -(10+HD). So, a 4th level character dies at -14, a 13th level character at -23. This is because I think the 10hp buffer is a bit low at higher levels when damage-per-blow can get pretty high, and it represents improved toughness of higher level characters. You are still knocked out at -1 hp.

3-Tumble. A barbarian can tumble while raging. Also, a DC30 tumble check allows a character to stand up from prone without provoking an AoO.

4-Identify. Change the following: Material component becomes Arcane focus (i.e. no longer expended), and the spell allows identification of 1 item per caster level.

OoC to all:
I wrote background info for all the six characters. A large part of what I wrote is spoilered and written to specific characters. Now if you can resist the temptation, I think it would be most fun if you read your own but not the info for the other characters. There’s nothing spectacular or very unique in any of the spoilers, but not knowing about the others might make for a more fun roleplaying start of things.

World info:
Here is some general background info about the world. The info here is common knowledge for most people with the least bit of education.

History, demography and politics:
350 years ago the Dukes of Imsal and Baten signed a peace after many centuries of small civil wars, relative peaceful periods and a few full blown wars. The continent was divided in two duchies, in which the Duke rules as he sees fit. A special arrangement was made for matters that concern the entire continent, such as relations with other continents. Every 10 years the seat of power concerning intercontinental matters moves from one duke to the other. At these moments, the name of the continent changes as well, with the first part of the name being the name of the duke currently in intercontinental power. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago this seat moved from Imsal to Baten, which means that the continent is now called Baten-Imsal.

As far as most normal people know, this seat of power is mostly ceremonial. The relation between the people living in both duchies is very good, and people trade and travel as if they were one nation. In many noble human and dwarven families the sense of loyalty to their duke is still very much alive, but the vast majority of people just do not care about these politics, the memories of the war being almost erased out of the collective memory.

Imsal is much more civilized than Baten. The industrious humans and halflings have cultivated most of the land and drove off most of the savage humanoids to the rugged mountains of Baten. A lively trade exists in this duchy and people are generally well-to-do. Baten has many riches from the mountains, so the people living there (especially the dwarves and gnomes) know considerable wealth. However, Baten also has many parts where elfs, dwarves and gnomes still live according to ‘the old ways’, not approving of the modern human and halfling approach to society. Additionally, the rugged mountains are a place where many orcs, goblins and other savage humanoids live, as well as a much larger concentration of what one might call ‘monsters’.

Places:
Baten: Baten lies against the great mountain ranges. What once began as a small Dwarven stronghold has now grown to become the 2nd largest city on the continent. While there is still a good 60% of dwarves in the population and the ruler is also a dwarf, 30% of the inhabitants are human and 10% of other races.

Imsal: In the centre of the continent, this is the largest city and the main human stronghold. 70% of the inhabitants, including the duke, is human, 10% is dwarf and the other 20% is a mix of other races (mostly halflings).

Persons:
Duke of Baten: Worf, a fairly old gray-haired dwarven man. He is known to be wise and calm. His father was responsible for the peace with the humans, but he has been in charge for over a hundred years now.

Duke of Imsal: Danil, a rather young human who took over from his father just two years ago. As such, he does not yet have much of a reputation. Power shifts much more often in this duchy, so this duchy tends to be a bit less stable in a political sense. The past 120 years have been calm, though, with a line of dukes that appear to be sensible and having the well-being of the inhabitants high on their agenda.

Map

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6149/batenimsalmap.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/batenimsalmap.png/)

It looks like all the goblins are dead. It all went very quick after breaking free from the cage. A lot of shouting, magic, strangling and chasing of goblins, recapturing of your weapons followed by bloodshed. As the silence and calm dawns on you, you realize you have a minor headache and a fuzzy feeling in your head. You don’t remember what you are doing here, who these people are. The physical focus from the battle is now reaching your heads and some things start making sense now:

Søren Va and Berend Jan:
You both remember now. Some time ago, was it a week….what day is it today? Anyway, the both of you have been recruited by the Duke of Baten to carry an important parcel to the Duke of Imsal. A small cube box, about 5 inches big in all dimensions. A wooden box, enforced with metal plating and plain ornamentation. It was locked, but you could feel something hard was inside when you rocked it. You were offered 500 gold pieces each, 100 when you accepted the job, 250 from the duke of Imsal upon delivery and 150 once you would return in Baten with a signed confirmation of receipt. You clearly remember this mission being important, and that failure would result in unhappy people. Unhappy people in positions of considerable power.

Yes, it is all coming back now, but your recent memory is hazy. Everything you remember seems so long ago, as if you are missing a few days. Or more… Luckily enough you recalled enough to determine at which point in this mission you are. You can see you are close to Imsal, and when you check your equipment for the box it is not there. However, when you check your money pouch, it is empty. No reward there. Maybe your partner has the box, and you haven’t delivered it yet. The initial 100 gp reward is gone as well, though. For sure you did not spend that much. Signed receipt, you recall, and you check your pockets, but no…

You exchange a short glance with your partner and figure out that your partner is thinking the same, and also does not have any money, receipt or box. This is a problem. Reporting to either Duke would not only upset them, may or may not lead to some form of punishment but most importantly would destroy your reputation with the nobility in a large region. Nobility means missions, missions means fame, fame means money. And who the hell are these other four people anyway? How did you end up with them?

On the up side, you find that all of the gear you are missing is being carried or worn by the group of goblins. Also, you find a total of 960 gold pieces on them, 160 for each of you (but these pieces do not bear the mark of Baten, so they are not your initial reward). You have money and you have your gear. You also have a lot of questions and you spot one goblin, the only one that survived the battle, cowering in the bushes.

Jord Hrolfsson and Zirc:
You both remember now. Some time ago, was it a week….what day is it today? Anyway, the both of you have been recruited by the Duke of Baten to carry an important parcel to the Duke of Ismal. A small cube box, about 5 inches big in all dimensions. A wooden box, enforced with metal plating and plain ornamentation. It was locked, but you could feel something hard was inside when you rocked it. You were offered 500 gold pieces each, 100 when you accepted the job, 250 from the duke of Ismal upon delivery and 150 once you would return in Baten with a signed confirmation of receipt. You clearly remember this mission being important, and that failure would result in unhappy people. Unhappy people in positions of considerable power.

Yes, it is all coming back now, but your recent memory is hazy. Everything you remember seems so long ago, as if you are missing a few days. Or more… Luckily enough you recalled enough to determine at which point in this mission you are. You can see you are close to Ismal, and when you check your equipment for the box it is not there. However, when you check your money pouch, it is empty. No reward there. Maybe your partner has the box, and you haven’t delivered it yet. The initial 100 gp reward is gone as well, though. For sure you did not spend that much. Signed receipt, you recall, and you check your pockets, but no…

You exchange a short glance with your partner and figure out that your partner is thinking the same, and also does not have any money, receipt or box. This is a problem. Reporting to either Duke would not only upset them, may or may not lead to some form of punishment but most importantly would destroy your reputation with the nobility in a large region. Nobility means missions, missions means fame, fame means money. And who the hell are these other four people anyway? How did you end up with them?

On the up side, you find that all of the gear you are missing is being carried or worn by the group of goblins. Also, you find a total of 960 gold pieces on them, 160 for each of you (but these pieces do not bear the mark of Baten, so they are not your initial reward). You have money and you have your gear. You also have a lot of questions and you spot one goblin, the only one that survived the battle, cowering in the bushes.

Arec Etin and Andreus:
You both remember now. Some time ago, was it a week….what day is it today? Anyway, the both of you have been recruited by the Duke of Baten to carry an important parcel to the Duke of Ismal. A small cube box, about 5 inches big in all dimensions. A wooden box, enforced with metal plating and plain ornamentation. It was locked, but you could feel something hard was inside when you rocked it. You were offered 500 gold pieces each, 100 when you accepted the job, 250 from the duke of Ismal upon delivery and 150 once you would return in Baten with a signed confirmation of receipt. You clearly remember this mission being important, and that failure would result in unhappy people. Unhappy people in positions of considerable power.

Yes, it is all coming back now, but your recent memory is hazy. Everything you remember seems so long ago, as if you are missing a few days. Or more… Luckily enough you recalled enough to determine at which point in this mission you are. You can see you are close to Ismal, and when you check your equipment for the box it is not there. However, when you check your money pouch, it is empty. No reward there. Maybe your partner has the box, and you haven’t delivered it yet. The initial 100 gp reward is gone as well, though. For sure you did not spend that much. Signed receipt, you recall, and you check your pockets, but no…

artofregicide
2013-02-07, 03:44 PM
Søren, having looted his belongings off several bloodied corpses, takes some measure of enjoyment walking amongst the carnage. Clearly, the humanoids had chance against such a determined force. Fully equipped, and painted mask covering his face, Søren is quite ready

He notices a surviving Goblin, hiding in the bushes not far. Quickly, the wizard approaches him, brandishing his scythe.

"I will have answers, wretch. Speak now or you join the others."

Søren nods to the pile of dead Goblins.

Rolling intimidate [roll0]

While Søren tries to be quite fearsome, he accidentally nicks himself with the scythe, and curses loudly. The display is almost comical, but a bit threatening as well.

"Where. Is. The. Box? It was important. Give me the box and I will spare your worthless life."

The wizard speaks angrily, regardless of if the Goblin can actually understand him, and is extremely impatient and aggressive. Regardless, he shows no actual sign of attempting to dispatch the creature, for even in anger Søren is no fool.

On his shoulder, his familiar speaks to the master, quietly.

"Master, I find it prudent that we introduce ourselves to the others. Important as our mission is, it might be more diplomatic not to ignore them. They did, after all, help save us."

Hearing the wisdom in the raven's words, Søren turns to the others, who are still collecting their gear.

"Ah. Hello. Would anyone mind restraining this little cretin? I'm not much of one for ropes."

J-H
2013-02-07, 09:07 PM
"I've no rope, but if he runs, I can stop him with blade or magic." Jord walks behind the goblin with his sword unsheathed.

"Goblin, you speak Common?"

3drinks
2013-02-07, 09:43 PM
Zirc looks around at the wreckage of goblins, pleased at the piles of bodies strewn about. Seeing his trusty axe he picks it up, then looks towards the commotion with the last goblin and the man with the scythe, having heard him introduce himself.

"Restrain you say? With ropes? Bah, I'll just hold him still in my own grasp!" The incredibly muscular let out with a boastful laugh."The name's Zirc by the way. And what's this you spoke of a Box just a moment ago?"Zirc walked to the goblin and and posed, flexing his muscles and dancing his pecks in front of it (Rolling Intimidate [roll0]).

3drinks
2013-02-07, 09:44 PM
(Assuming a 14 is good enough to intimidate him, he is cowering after all).

"Why do you attack us? Who sent you?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-09, 07:12 AM
The goblin was already cowering when you found him and being surrounded by several people bigger and stronger than he, he caves. "Please, not kill me...please, I please you." Tears run down his sad face and he breathes deep and uncontrolled. He is not going anywhere. He speaks common, but obviously not fluent. It takes him a few moments to calm down, but then he starts answering your questions.

"I don't know the box you talk about..." He wipes his tears. "And you attack us. Kill my family." He points at the cage. "You breaked free and kill us." He shrugs. "Why? We just do as we are told. Our job!" He stares at a wooden sign attached to the cart: 'Krilnik & Sons - Transport of your needs'. It appears he is very proud of the business he has. Or, had.

"What do I do now? Bob-Bob is going to hate me."

Phyzor
2013-02-11, 01:56 PM
Berend-Jan raises his axe using it to point at the goblin while he speaks to him.

Where did you pick us up and to where and whom did Bob-Bob tell you to bring us? Obviously Søren had the same idea as he had, getting back the box. Being a man of his word Berend-Jan wanted to know everything the goblin knew about these Krilnik & Sons, but most of all where he could find them.

After the goblin's response he turns to Zirc saying Yes, my companion Søren and myself were carrying a small box. Have you seen it?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-11, 02:33 PM
The goblin flinches as he sees the axe pointed in his direction. "Bob-Bob lives five hours traveling from here. At the bottom of that hill there. East side, there's a cave." He points in the distance and you indeed see a hill marking the landscape. "He paid us to bring you to Ardt the Horrible. Or, well, as close as we dared to go." You notice that he speaks that last name only softly, and with distinct fear.

Phyzor
2013-02-11, 02:35 PM
And how many friends does Bob-Bob have living there with him?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-11, 02:42 PM
The goblin ponders a moment and then answers: "None, he prefers his own company. When he is in a good mood. Otherwise he fights."

3drinks
2013-02-11, 02:55 PM
Zirc looks around, he can't help but notice the tears of the goblin in front of him, scared for what may happen to his life.

"The creature seems to be telling the truth, maybe we let him go. After all we can't fight such a small enemy--it's not even a fair fight!" Zirc boasted.

Zirc turns in the direction of Berend who spoke to him.

"The box? My campanion Jord and I were tasked with carrying a box from Baten to Ismal. We don't have it anymore since the goblins raid. But we must find it. Surely if we return to Baten in this state..."

artofregicide
2013-02-11, 06:19 PM
Søren has a hard time following the pitiful creature, and shows no compassion. On hearing the muscular orc speak of also carrying a box with unknown contents, he turns to him.

"The Dwarf and I were assigned an order... to carry a small parcel, unopened, from Baten to Ismal. Are you saying you too had such a box?"

Turning back to the Goblin, the Wizard shows utter contempt when warning him from leaving so soon.

"We may still have use of you. You've bought yourself a few minutes, anyway. If you want to live longer, tell us whatever you can about this 'Bob-Bob'. What manner of creature is he? And how did he employ you?"

Whilst the wizard interrogates the prisoner further, his familiar speaks to Berend Jan, it's voice inquisitive and respectful.

"Master Dwarf, it seems that there is more going on here than meets the eye. While I have little love for Goblins, these seem to have little understanding of our situation. Is it possible that there were two boxes, and both groups of carriers were waylaid?"

Søren too turns to the Dwarf, though keeping an eye on the Goblin lest he run.

"The bird does make a good point. Perhaps this 'Bob-Bob' could give us some answers..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-11, 06:28 PM
The goblin was a tad relieved by Zirc's sort-of compassion, but seems rather anxious again now the wizard had spoken to him. "Bob-Bob is one of them big folks. Uhm, giant?" He gestures to his cart. "We travel around, transporting the needs of people when we pass. We passed Bob-Bob, they hired us. Just normal business, we do that all the time."

3drinks
2013-02-11, 07:04 PM
Zirc turns to the man with the Scythe having heard his comment.

"Yes, we were hired to carry out that exact same task, from Baten to Ismal. Where it went, I do not know. If we have shared the same task up to this point however, maybe we should journey together. After all an Axe and a Scythe are better than just a Scythe, or so I hear. If we are to journey together perhaps introductions are in order, no?"

Zirc turns his attention back to the goblin.

"Well, if we know his boss, this is probably where our 'box' is. Goblin, you take us to him. No funny business, or I cut you with my Axe myself." Zirc says with a boastful laugh.

Zirc turns to the others.

"Or does anyone else have a better plan?"

J-H
2013-02-11, 10:21 PM
"Sounds like the giant is a good lead - he's at least connected to whoever took the boxes, and we need to move quickly to find them."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-12, 02:37 AM
The goblin follows the conversation and at some point humbly interjects: "So, uhm, I want to bring my family home." He looks around at the bloodbath. "Can't leave them here. Ok?"

Phyzor
2013-02-12, 04:40 PM
I agree that there is no fair fight here. I also believe that he is telling the truth. What strikes me though is the fact that 2 travelling groups both had a box and the same mission. What about you two, Berend-Jan says turning to the others, did you have a box and a mission too?

You can use the cart for bringing your family home he turns to the goblin. I believe we have an appointment with Bob-Bob, I am fine if you travel along with us though

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-12, 04:56 PM
The goblin is visibly happy with Berend-Jan allowing him to take his fallen family members home. He moves to collect the corpses while you discuss the boxes and missions. Since the bodies of his closest relatives are here, as well as his cart and horses which represent quite likely the majority of his family's capital, he is obviously not at flight risk (not to mention the six well-trained people that are near).

He makes a quick round and after a few seconds you hear him breathing and gasping excitedly: "Oh no, oh my! Krilnik junior, and Kriknil! He turns to your group with excitement. "Two of my sons still live!" Again, tears flow, but now with joy. He approaches you and asks you something (and the awkwardness of the situation is clearly readible from his face): "Would one of you strong men mind putting them in the cart. Softly. I can only drag them and I fear that I might hurt them, killing them after all..."

DMrolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]

[roll30]
[roll31]
[roll32]
[roll33]
[roll34]
[roll35]
[roll36]
[roll37]
[roll38]
[roll39]

[roll40]
[roll41]
[roll42]
[roll43]
[roll44]
[roll45]
[roll46]
[roll47]
[roll48]
[roll49]

J-H
2013-02-12, 07:15 PM
Jord helps, after tapping one of each of the two living goblins with a Cure Minor Wounds.
Spontaneous healing, dropping 2 casts of Resistance to heal each of the goblins by 1hp. That should stabilize them.

3drinks
2013-02-12, 07:45 PM
Zirc looks the goblin in his sad eyes.

"Oh, why not. I am not some big softie, but in order to help move this along, I will help you too."

Strength check I guess to lift one of them up?
[roll0]

artofregicide
2013-02-12, 10:04 PM
Søren's expression is hidden by his mask, but his inflection is unmistakeably disdainful.

"A giant, eh? I've yet to fell a giant. Well, like this anyway."

Turning to the Orc, he shows significantly more respect. Only a fool wouldn't.

"Well spoken, friend, though I have more faith in you and your axe than my scythe and I. Your plan is as good as I can figure, though I don't think we should simply rush in swords brandished. It certainly hasn't done us much good so far."

He looks at the dead Goblins. Clearly, the wizard feels no remorse, but certainly some frustration at being tricked.

"There's nothing to be gained from hurting these wretches. I have no malice towards... Krink or whatever his name his name is."

Turning to the Cleric, Søren simply shrugs. He makes no attempt to in any way assist the wounded.

"What you do with your magic is your own business, but make certain you have enough to assist us if this giant proves to be unpleasant."

The raven adds, pessimistically at the end:

"And judging by the day so far, we can expect it to be."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-13, 02:55 AM
The goblin is grateful for Jord's healing magic and Zirc, who effortlessly puts the small corpses in the cart. When he has managed to have the horse-and-cart turn around on the road, he asks: "So, do you want me to take you to Bob-Bob?"

3drinks
2013-02-13, 09:51 PM
Zirc looks over to the goblin with an eager glance.

"First we need to take your family home, right? Then we see the Bob-Bob. Then maybe the fun begins!" Zirc let out with another boastful laugh.

Phyzor
2013-02-14, 04:37 AM
Im anxious to meet this Bob-Bob, i hope he has our boxes.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-15, 02:55 AM
The five of you travel alongside a goblin, a cart, a horse, two patients and three corpses in the direction of Bob-Bob's hill. The goblin was right: it takes you a bit less than 5 hours and about two hours before darkness will fall, you arrive close to the hill. Krilnik points: "There, a hole in the hill. Where Bob-Bob lives." You indeed see something of a cave entrance at a distance of about one thousand feet from your current location. From the right side the cave can be approached throuh a meadow. Doing so will expose you to whatever lives there and has eyes. From the left side, you can approach it through a patch of forest. Chances of approaching undetected are many times higher going that way, but Krilnik and his cart won't be able to enter the forest without getting stuck somewhere.

3drinks
2013-02-15, 01:21 PM
Zirc surveys the meadow and the forest, then looks back to his travel mates.

"Hmm, the forest gives us surprise but we can't take our goblin wagon. Or we just walk straight-in and go for a frontal assault. I've never been much of a sneaky type, so let's charge through the meadow! No sense splitting up the wagon now. And besides, I prefer a fair fight anyway. Bah ha ha ha ha ha!" Zirc let out with another boastful laugh.

artofregicide
2013-02-15, 02:05 PM
A bit incredulously, Søren questions the big orc.

"Remind me: what good would the wagon do us in combat, again? It contains: 3 dead goblins, and two barely living goblins, and one living but cowardly goblin. As much as I love using the sub-humans for cannon fodder, I think they'd just get in the way."

His raven continues:

"Besides: we don't *have* to fight the Giant. Perhaps the Goblin could help us talk to him?"

Hushing his bird, the wizard adds grimly.

"It might be best to take the Giant alive, this time. He's no good to me dead, and I doubt anyone here either has the power or the willingness to use necromancy to speak to him once he falls."

3drinks
2013-02-15, 05:38 PM
Zirc turns to Søren to reply.

"Bah, perhaps you are right. But all stealth and no fight makes for a dull day...besides, what if something happens to our goblin guide while we are in the forest? Perhaps there is something more to this plan of 'taking him alive' that you mentioned, however."

J-H
2013-02-15, 10:43 PM
"I agree with Soren. We approach across the field, and try talking first. If it's a fight, we'll win."

Jord will cast Bless when the party is about 3/4 of the way across the field.

(Bless, +1ab, +1 on saves vs fear for the next 4 minutes)

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-16, 04:12 AM
Jord:
It is going to take approximately 4 minutes to walk there, plus the time you spend here talking, plus the time you might spend talking to the giant. You can can change your post into a promise of providing a blessing and cast it when you are about to arrive at the cave, if you want.

Phyzor
2013-02-18, 05:46 AM
I WILL have my axe ready! I am not scared of some giant, so if we need to fight we will.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-18, 12:35 PM
You approach the cave. After about three minutes you are really close, but you see no movement. You approach further and after a minute you are thirty feet away from the doorstep. Still no sign of life. However, you hear a sound in the forest:

Thud......thud......thud......thud
......thud......thud......thud

It sounds actually like someone felling a tree, though that usually sounds like:

Thud......thud......thud......thud

It sounds like more than one person chopping, and with considerable force. You can also hear a faint low voice if you listen carefully. Does not sound like a language you know.

There is somebody, quite likely more than one person, felling a tree in the nearby forest. While you do not see him right now, chances are that person can see you, as you are in the open. "I guess he is working in the forest", the goblin says.

Phyzor
2013-02-18, 01:16 PM
Well if he is in the forest we can take a look inside. Maybe our boxes are there. The dwarf wasnt reknowned for his great battletactics getting himself pinned in a cave.

artofregicide
2013-02-18, 03:27 PM
Søren expresses serious doubt towards the Dwarf's suggestion.

"I'm no burglar. And we have no idea when the Giant will return. I don't fancy fighting such a creature in its home."

Looking through his spellbook, Søren counts silently.

"I have a few spells that may be of use. Invisibility would allow us to approach it quietly. And I can attempt to charm the creature... as well as detect his thoughts. We have options, but I certainly am not entering that cavern while the Giant stands."

For once, his raven doesn't say anything.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-18, 04:00 PM
DMRolls:

Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

3drinks
2013-02-18, 05:14 PM
Zirc looks around at his companions, then towards the cavern opening.

"Well, now that we're here, there's no sense going back. Søren, we can't very well turn back now. Returning to the duke empty-handed as we are will earn us nothing but a beheading for an apparent treachery of the duke's request. I understand if you do not wish to fight physically like myself and Jord, but we need you to provide us some cover fire (or support). In the meantime," Zirc brandishes his mighty, trusty double-headed axe,

"...It's clobberin' time!"

J-H
2013-02-18, 06:31 PM
"We can stay out here, near the entrance, while one of the group sneaks in. That way we're covered no matter which way the giant comes from."

artofregicide
2013-02-18, 08:30 PM
Søren turns to Zirc, somewhat offended and more so amused by the fact that he'd think the wizard not wish to fight.

"Don't think that I'd pass up a chance to do battle, orc. Let's bring this bastard down, then. You lead the way. I'll provide arcane support."

With that, Søren speaks some strange words, and his form changes entirely. Instead of a robed man before you, a significantly stranger and less appealing creature stands before you. It is covered in bony armor, has wicked teeth and claws, but carries Søren's same signature sneer.

The transformed wizard draws his curved dagger and brightly colored wand, and secures his scythe on the strap over his back.

"Let's bring down a Giant."

Mechanics:

ALTER SELF: TROGLODTYE

*Racial Skills: +4 racial bonus on Hide checks (+8 in rocky or underground surroundings: I assume the cave counts)
*Racial Feats: Multiattack (secondary attacks with natural weapons take a -2 penalty.)
*Natural Armor: +6 natural armor bonus.
*Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
*Last 40 Minutes

**Søren is not wearing his mask at the moment, so he can use his bite attack

Phyzor
2013-02-19, 07:26 AM
Berend-Jan just smiles. Aye! He grabs his axe and follows the rest.

3drinks
2013-02-19, 12:48 PM
Zirc looks around confidently, he smirks at his companions as he takes point to lead into the cave.

"Alright! We're on a giant hunt! Let's go!"

artofregicide
2013-02-19, 02:32 PM
Søren can't help but laugh, his voice the same, apparently unchanged by the magical transformation.

"Fools! The Giant is in the forest! Can you not hear it felling a tree with its axe?"

The wizard does his best to stop his party before they rush ahead blindly into the cavern.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-19, 03:53 PM
The goblin stays back. He is not much of a fighter and prefers not to be in the midst of some battle. You have not taken any explicit actions to stay out of sight, or be silent and as you approach the forest you notice that the tree chopping has stopped. When you are 15 feet away from the first trees, you see a large figure staring at you, some 20 feet into the forest (i.e. the distance is 35 feet, but there is no straight path because of the trees). It is carrying to large axes suitable for lumbering. On top of it's towering, hairy and well-muscled body rest two heads. He....or they (?) seems as surprised to see a couple of humanoids on his property as you are to see a two-headed giant. His facial expressions tell you that he has some issues processing the information. He is probably not that smart.

"Who that?", shouts the left head as it turns to the right, followed by an agressive "You go away!" by the right head.

He is unarmored and the weapons he is holding seem not optimized for battle. However, his giant strength might very well compensate for that.

Initiative order:
1-Søren
2-Berend Jan
3-Zirc
4-Jord
5-Giant

All you guys are up. Remember the trees are preventing a straight charge at the moment, and Jord's blessing gives you a +1 to attack rolls.

Initiative rolls:

Giant [roll0]

Søren Va [roll1]
Jord Hrolfsson [roll2]
Arec Etin [roll3]
Berend Jan [roll4]
Andreus [roll5]
Zirc [roll6]

artofregicide
2013-02-19, 04:32 PM
Søren wastes little time attacking: he raises his hand and speaks a single arcane word. A dozen or so ethereal black tendrils explode from his hand, reaching for the Giant (or Ettin, possibly).

"Kneel before me, lesser creature."

Once the spell is unleashed, Søren quickly moves 30 feet backward, away from the fight.

All the while, his mind races for some knowledge of this strange abomination. Does he recognize it, from his studies or experience?

Mechanics:
Søren casts "Ray of Enfeeblement" on the Giant, which is a ranged touch attack (Touch AC).

Ray of Enfeeblement SRD Page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfEnfeeblement.htm)

Ray Attack [roll0] (+2 BAB, +2 Dex, +1 Bless = +5 to hit)

Strength Damage (if applicable) [roll1]

Link to Knowledge Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14739784#post14739784)

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-19, 05:57 PM
The strings of necomantic energy hit the giant in the middle of his chest and are followed by two cries: "Uurghhh!" and "Magic man, die!"

Søren:
You have heard stories about terrible and cruel giants with two heads, but they are mainly anecdotal and don't give very specific information: They are big, two-headed and cruel (knowledge history). You don't have the proper knowledge skill to get really useful information.

3drinks
2013-02-20, 01:06 PM
"Hmm...running into the forest to fight him on his turf is a fool's game. Better to be prepared for him to emerge."

Zirc stands ready for the dual-headed beast, his double axe swinging back and forth in anticipation of the beast's movement.

Zirc's Actions in Game Terms
Move up to the edge of the forest and have an attack readied to hit him as soon as he comes within range.

J-H
2013-02-20, 05:55 PM
Jord casts another spell, and moves up behind Zirc. "You do realize he can probably hit you before you can hit him, right?"

Shield of Faith, +2 ac

3drinks
2013-02-20, 11:33 PM
Jord casts another spell, and moves up behind Zirc. "You do realize he can probably hit you before you can hit him, right?"

Shield of Faith, +2 ac

Yeah I realized that he had the ten foot reach after I typed my action.

Phyzor
2013-02-21, 02:32 AM
Berend-Jan gets his shield and axe in position and readies himself to charge the giant once it emerges from the woods. He would love to have said I'll chop your heads of, but for now they seem to high to reach, so exclamating that would be silly.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-21, 03:03 PM
The giant is furious, lets out a war cry and starts running towards Søren. You find that he is quite fast. Twice as fast as a dwarf, for sure. As such, he manages to cover quite some distance and to avoid some trees and the warriors waiting for him. He stops 15 feet away from Søren, clearing over 30 feet out of the forest and shouts a loud "Raaawr!". His breath is so bad it practically takes Søren's away.

Berend-Jan and Zirc can perform a partial charge to attack him either at the point where he exits the forest, where he ends his movement or in between. Just tell me in which square you wish to end.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dGtCYlU0VnF4cTRxN1JFekhnTUx4c lE&usp=sharing) (this should work, but it's been a while)

After the warriors attack, all you guys are up again, the giant could do nothing but move.

artofregicide
2013-02-21, 03:23 PM
Søren realizes that it is high time for him to step out the combat. While somewhat worried that he is running low on spells, the day is also ending.

Thus, the wizard speaks some unknown words, along with some strange gestures, and instantly disappears from view.

He can't help but taunt the Giant, after all, he is now incredibly difficult to find.

"You can't kill what you can't catch, you putrid worm."

With that he sneaks away, hoping to avoid the Giant's senses entirely. He takes special care not to give his position away. Unfortunately, the wizard steps in a small hole, nearly tripping him, and causing him to swear loudly under his breath. His position is not given away, but it isn't hard to guess either...

Mechanics
Cast invisibility on self: 6 minutes of invisibility until attacked.

Invisiblity Spell SRD Page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm)

Invisiblity Ability SRD Page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility)

Move silently: [roll0]

Søren moves at half speed (sneaking) to [F 12]

Phyzor
2013-02-22, 05:39 AM
By the sight of the giant leaving the forest Berend-Jan isn't too impressed. He has seen a giant before, only the trembling ground made by the heavy giant running is a new experience.

His own legs start running, even though he doesnt' run that fast. He chooses a path to intercept the giant, being able to swing his axe at his leg or foot.

Partial Charge:

charge moving to J9
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Full attack:

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

3drinks
2013-02-22, 01:51 PM
Okay, so let's see if I'm doing this as I understand correctly.

r1, completing the partial charge attack.

[roll0] to-hit (adding +4 from power attack)
[roll1] threat confirm?
[roll2] damage (x2 multiple from power attack {+8 dmg} {str x1.5 two-handed is +9}, as I'm just using it as a two-handed martial weapon)
[roll3] crit damage

[spoiler]r2, the full attack action.

[roll4] (primary) [roll5] (off-hand) No Power Attack
[roll6] threat confirm primary [roll7] threat confirm off-hand
[roll8] primary damage [roll9] off-hand damage
[roll10] primary damage crit [roll11] off-hand damage crit

J-H
2013-02-23, 10:54 PM
Jord charges across the field, swinging his greatsword at the giant.

I believe Berend Jan will already be out of my way.
Current AC is 21, but I have +4 dodge AC vs Giants. -2ac from the charge puts me at a net AC 23 vs the giant until the start of my next turn.
Attack [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-25, 02:38 AM
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dGtCYlU0VnF4cTRxN1JFekhnTUx4c lE&usp=sharing#gid=0)

The giant's left head shows a big grin as Berend-Jan is having issues even pointing his axe at him "Bwaha! You puny", while the right head shows a distorted face as he cries out as Zirc and Jord dish out serious blows: "Urgh!" He looks around in confusion and then turns his attention on Zirc. "No more magic man." "Now you die, and he adds in the Orcish tongue: "Traitor!"

He wields his axes simultaneously in a very proficient manner, Zirc. As a specialist on two-weapon fighting, you can tell this two-heads thing helps him a lot in this department. The axes flay with strength at you, and strike true three times. You take 34 damage. Luckily, the giant has been weakened by Soren's magic, otherwise you would have been a very dead orc by now.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]

J-H
2013-02-25, 08:05 AM
Seeing Zirc in trouble (and hit far harder than Jord can heal quickly), the dwarf decides that the fight must end, and attempts to Smite the giant.

+4 ab, +1/level (4) damage, 1x/day - Destruction domain power
Power attacking -1 ab, +2 damage
To-hit[roll0]
Crit confirm[roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit Damage [roll3]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-25, 08:17 AM
Still a bit dazed by the pounding blows delivered by the giant, Zirc sees the dwarven priest swing his blade with divine force. A mean cut in his chest forces the giant down. Unconscious and quite likely bleeding to death the two-headed brute lies at the feet of Berend Jan, Jord and Zirc.

Phyzor
2013-02-25, 08:26 AM
His dwarven pride hurt by his aparant failures trying to hit a giant, who in the world can miss a giant he thinks...
He just hopes that the other wont be reminding him about this on their travels.

Determined to set thing straight, and seeing the force this giant swings with, the two-header needs to be brought down.

I'll show you, uglyfaces!

By the moment he wants to strike his axe the giant falls down to his feet.

Berend-Jan turns around and looks at the fellow dwarf. Nice strike there! What shall we do with uglyfaces here? I say we tie him and patch him up, so we can question him.

artofregicide
2013-02-25, 02:56 PM
Still invisible, Søren moves to the side of Giant, and spits on the two-headed monstrosity.

"Bind the brute well, before we wake him up. And I'll keep my scythe on hand, if I need to slits his throat... their... throats? What a strange creature. I have to be honest, I don't think seen one before."

He turns to the badly battered Zirc.

"Few can take such blows and keep standing. Mark me impressed, orc."

Finally, Søren congratulates the Dwarf who fell their enemy.

"Such incredible power! Truly the gods favor such strength."

The usually uncharitable wizard is being quite honest in his praise: he was terrified that the Giant would kill all of them. Such a triumphant victory has put him in a very good mood.

His raven chimes in, at the end:

"Since I am still invisible, master, may I scout out the cave for more dangers?"

Søren agrees, and the bird flutters off.

"Aye, that would be a wise. Tell me what you find, Hellion."

Movement and Rolls:
Søren moves to within 10 feet of the Giant, but keeps his wits about him. He listens and looks for any more problems before his bird takes off (thus before he loses alertness):

Link to Perception Checks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14776176&postcount=116)

Then Hellion, his raven, explores the entrance to the cave, but doesn't land anywhere if possible. If he runs into danger, the bird immediately returns and reports back.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-25, 03:17 PM
Soren:
Your familiar finds that the cave is fairly small, it extends some 20 feet into the hill side. Aside from a dirty rug (or bed?), a pile of bones and a pile of 'stuff' in one corner, there is not much to report. To find out what is in the pile of stuff, you'd have to go in and inspect it.

3drinks
2013-02-25, 03:19 PM
Zirc takes a half step back, catching his breath. He took one of the mightiest axe blows seen in recent memory...and lived to tell the tale. He casts his gaze at the fell'd gigantic being.

"A worthy adversary, and well-matched too. This will be a tale of the ages to tell, once I return to my clan triumphantly! Zirc turns to the mighty priest whom vanquished the adversary, "What power you must have, to defeat such a strong foe in one blow! With such power you have, might I ask that you help mend this terrible, terrible gash across my chest? I feel in my current state, I may not be as much help to the rest of us should there be another fight."

Zirc turns his attention to the spellcaster, Søren.

"Aye, those of my blood are known to be hearty in battle. But I appreciate the respect you have shown me."

J-H
2013-02-25, 07:32 PM
"Certainly. I'm glad he was swinging at you and not me.

Does anyone have a way to tie the giant up, or do we just hold our blades at his neck?"

Convert Longstrider (domain slot) to Cure Light Wounds - I think this is legal?
Convert Silence to Cure Moderate Wounds
CLW [roll0]
CMW [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-26, 02:13 AM
Jord (and Zirc)
You are not allowed to convert domain spells into cure spells, unfortunately. So, you'll have to stick with the CMW, or convert something else (if you still have any).

J-H
2013-02-26, 08:30 AM
Converting Bless instead. Oh, and I forgot to add the +1 from Bless to my attack against the giant.
Doesn't someone have a CLW wand? We were supposed to start with one...

Phyzor
2013-02-26, 08:36 AM
I have no rope, but perhaps there is something we can use in the cave. Looking around him, no idea where Soren is located, Berend-Jan asks: what did your Raven say about the cave?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-26, 04:59 PM
Around you, in the 'front yard' of the giant's cave, there is a fire place and small stash of wood. There's a crude sort of hunting knife and something that resembles a large hammer. You also find several lengths of crude rope. It does not look like great quality, but might be good enough to restrain the giant that (at least for a few minutes) is seriously weakened.

You can tie the giant up (just make a use rope check). You figure out pretty soon that you are alone here and that it is safe to enter the cave. As the raven already revealed, the cave is not very big (approximating 20 by 20 feet and about 10 feet high). Inside you find a considerable stink, an old rug (or is it a bed?) that is covered with fungus, a pile of bones and a corner with a pile of random stuff.

If you rummage through the random stuff you find that there's a whole bunch of coins at the bottom. A minute counting together you find it totals 423 gold pieces (divided up in 80 copper, 150 silver and 400 gold pieces. The rest is junk: torn clothes and backpacks, shoelaces, broken and rusty bits of weapons. The only things that might be worth something and are not broken are a crowbar, a small steel mirror and a set of dice carved out of bone. No sign of your boxes.

artofregicide
2013-02-26, 05:56 PM
Søren finally decides to end his invisibility: there is currently no threat, and his next action would dispel the effect anyway.

Whilst the Giant remains unconscious, he speaks some strangely hypnotic words, putting a hex on the creature. Likely the wizard hopes to affect the brute's mind while it sleeps.

"One of us should bind the Giant, whoever is best with ropes, I think. I've cast a spell that should make him more friendly... if my magic has done its work. Now, someone quickly heal him, at least enough to stop him from bleeding out. Once he's bound, we wake him."

Then Søren turns to his raven, who has returned, appearing out of thin air as the wizard casts his second spell.

"The cavern isn't big, my lord. Seems to be some treasure, but no sign of our package. Alas, in this form I cannot search very well."

Spell Casting
Søren casts "Charm Person" (DC 15), but I believe the target can't make a will save (is considered willing) if unconscious. However you wish to rule is fine.

Currently, we aren't threatening the Giant, but we did previously fight him.

Charm Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/charmPerson.htm)

J-H
2013-02-26, 11:40 PM
Jord helps the others tie up the giant.

Use Rope [roll0] If I roll 10 or better, whoever's doing it gets a +2 bonus from Aid Another

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-27, 02:27 AM
Søren casts his spell. Normally, when a creature attempts to resist it, you can feel it, like a little speed bump in the arcane process. Right now, there is no speed bump, it is going smooth and easy up untill the point where you would normally forge the enchanting bond. The magical energy you conjured slips away and dissipates. You have the feeling something is wrong, or at least different.

artofregicide
2013-02-27, 03:11 PM
A bit alarmed, the wizard stands back from the Giant, at least 10 feet away.

"I think something may have gone wrong. My casting was perfect, and this creature likely has no magical defenses, yet I can tell that the arcane energy was somehow diverted."

Søren taps into his vast knowledge of the arcane in order to try to identify this problem.

DICE
Roll: Spellcraft [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-27, 03:37 PM
Soren:
You realize that your spell has the power to befriend humanoids (and humanoids only), and that this giant probably does not fit that description.

artofregicide
2013-02-27, 03:49 PM
The wizard curses his stupidity. He made an amateur mistake.

"Baator's breath! I used the wrong spell! I have one more option, but I think it might be wisest that we... 'interview' him in a more traditional way."

He leans on his scythe, his meaning quite apparent.

Phyzor
2013-02-28, 04:15 AM
Ok, lets try that then. I can help tie this big one, but I am not good at knots.

[roll0] for an aid another use rope check

3drinks
2013-02-28, 02:30 PM
Zirc looks over at Berend-Jan, who seems to be struggling a bit with the rope. he lets out a boastful jest, replying;

"Hah! You silly, silly dwarf. Here, let me show you how it's done!"

[roll0] Use Rope

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-02-28, 04:38 PM
Despite the efforts of Jord and Berend-Jan, Zirc manages to tie the giant up quite neatly.

artofregicide
2013-02-28, 06:19 PM
The wizard is quite impressed.

"Good work, Zirc is it? Let's wake this oaf up before my weakness spell wears off. If you heal him, do it only enough to bring him to consciousness."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-02, 06:46 AM
You have searched through the cave, found some money, a crowbar and a mirror and tied the giant up. It takes some effort, but you manage to wake the giant up. He is still battered, in fairly critical condition and only barely opens his eyes: "Magic man, die..." "Hnnngrr..." his voices are weak but are still drowned in a feral hatred. He tries to move but finds himself bound. While he obviously wants to fight the bonds, he is right now too weak to do so.

3drinks
2013-03-02, 12:34 PM
Zirc looks over to the two-headed monster, the beast's groaning obviously catching the muscled Orc's attention.

"Two-Head, we are told you hired a goblin caravan to to rob us of a certain parcel. But the parcel is not here. You have more information. We want it. Now."

artofregicide
2013-03-02, 02:56 PM
The wizard makes the situation even more clear for the Giant:

"Tell us what we want to know, and we'll heal you. We'll leave you alive and in one piece if you cooperate. On the other hand, well, I haven't yet properly bloodied my scythe. That's the deal. Now, tell us everything..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-03, 06:17 AM
One head starts talking to Zirc, while the other listens to Soren: "Goblins, I hire goblins for transport. What is that? Parcel?" Then Soren gets his reply: "I don't remember. Funny man comes to visit and then I wake up. You are here and I hire goblins to bring you to Ardt." He is still groggy, has a limited vocabulary and seems to have some form of amnesia (not unlike you guys had).

J-H
2013-03-03, 09:30 AM
"Tell us about the funny man."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-03, 10:13 AM
"Funny man came to talk about weather."
"Funny man was funny because he was my friend. Normal humans are not my friend."
"Yes, he was my friend too. He liked me better than you."
"Not true."
"Yes true. He told me."
"He was talking to me!"
"Was not!"
"Was!"

J-H
2013-03-03, 11:26 AM
"He talked only about the weather, nothing else? He didn't make any funny hand gestures or tell you to do anything?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-03, 11:56 AM
"No, we talked a bit."
"Then he was gone and you guys were here."
"And now you are here again."
"Did you hurt my friend?"

3drinks
2013-03-03, 01:52 PM
Zirc listened to the two-headed beasts' words. 'Parcel', was the word the giant did not seem to understand.

"Yes, a 'parcel'. A small wooden box, enforced with metal plating and plain decoration. It had...something...on the inside, but we don't know what because it is locked. You hire the goblins, then our 'parcel' is missing, so you have something to do with the missing box."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-03, 03:09 PM
The ettin shakes his heads.

"I don't know the box you speak of."
"I haven't seen a box."

The ettin looks genuinely puzzled by your claims.

artofregicide
2013-03-03, 03:35 PM
The Wizard shakes his head in frustration.

"The who in the PUTRID ABYSS knows where the hell-sent thing is? This job was supposed to simple. And the Giant, like the bleeding Goblins has no idea either."

His bird tries to add a helpful remark:

"Perhaps if we find the... so called weather man, he might know-

The raven is cut off by an increasingly frustrated Søren.

"Then he'll send us to the next blithering idiot, while the Duke sharpens his head-chopping axe. We don't have time for this."

The wizard turns away, absolutely frustrated.

"Doesn't help that I'm nearly out of spells... I don't care what we do with the stupid Giant. Kill him or leave him, as long as he doesn't give me any more trouble."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-04, 04:31 PM
The giant looks up at the Orc and Dwarves: "Please don't kill me."

3drinks
2013-03-04, 06:59 PM
The orc steps back a minute, a thought appearing to dart across his mind.

"Wait a minute, hold on. Back up. When you say:"

"Then he was gone and you guys were here."
"And now you are here again."

"So we have been here before? What was happening when we are here before? You must tell us."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-05, 02:19 AM
"Well, I put you in the goblin wagon."
"And paid them to transport you."
"I don't know why you were here, or how you came here."
"Don't you know?"

As a matter of fact, you don't.

artofregicide
2013-03-05, 02:36 AM
Søren grows increasingly frustrated.

"The Infernal Blazes! Of course we don't know, you idiotic cretin! Tell us about the man who paid you, everything you can think of, or I'll dredge your memory with my scythe!"

His raven hops over to the healer's shoulder, and speaks to him:

"Perhaps the Giant would be more willing to listen if we heal his wounds, and apologize for hurting him. Like the goblin, I believe he had no understanding of his part in this: we are all clearly pawns in some larger game."

The Wizard begrudgingly admits the bird is right.

"Upstart pigeon! I should roast you on a spit..."

Whatever else he mutters is left unheard as he storms off into the field to sulk.

OOC:
Søren is being bratty. I don't feel a need to roll intimidate. The Giant is already cooperating. If it's not obvious, Søren is kind of an immature jerk. That's why I have his raven, to balance him out.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-05, 02:47 AM
"But..."
"Nobody paid me. I pay goblins, yes."

3drinks
2013-03-05, 03:00 PM
"Why did you put us in the goblin wagon? Surely somebody told you to do that, yes? Tell us about that somebody. Start from the beginning, we want to know all the details."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-05, 03:38 PM
"Whu?"
"No..."
"...No!"
"Nobody tell me to do that."
"I wake up and you are here. I put you in cart to bring to Ardt."
"I have no use for you. I don't eat Humans and Dwarves and Orcs."
"I give Ardt Humans to eat and he leaves me alone."
"Ardt is mean..."
"Yah....and big and strong."

The giant ponders a moment.
"Look, I don't know who you are."
"I don't know why you are here."
"Bob-Bob leaves humans alone, why don't you leave me alone?"

J-H
2013-03-05, 10:26 PM
"Who is Ardt?" Jord turns to the goblin "Do you know who Ardt is?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-06, 02:27 AM
"Yes" the goblin answers "Ardt is also a giant...I think. Only he is much bigger and stronger than Bob-Bob. He is known for killing a tribe of Ogres by himself. He also killed three giants like Bob-Bob once because they would not share and decided to attack him. They say that fight lasted only ten seconds... He bullies everyone, but when we pay he leaves us alone."

3drinks
2013-03-06, 01:59 PM
Zirc listens intently to the Goblin, an idea then popping into his head.

"...I reckon Ardt is our target then. But how can we fight a man of such size and strength? I may be a brave, and mighty Orc, but I am not foolish enough to step up and challenge such an individual -- that'd almost be like suicide! So, what is our next move?"

artofregicide
2013-03-06, 03:09 PM
Søren is still listening, but too angry to speak. His raven speaks instead:

"I believe we should go to town, or at least, rest ourselves. We'll be better prepared tomorrow... fighting such a creature, if we must fight it, at our weakest would only end in disaster. Besides, we don't know this 'Ardt' is really behind all this, or perhaps yet another pawn."

J-H
2013-03-06, 08:18 PM
"Do keep in mind that we're on a deadline.... How far is it to Ardt?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-07, 02:37 AM
"About ten hours of travel."

You arrived here about two hours before darkness falling in (let's say it is 17.00 pm now). It takes 8 hours to get to outskirts of the city where you can get a hotel room. From there it would again be 8 hours to get to Ardt. If you say goodbye to the goblin, you can do all these trips in about 75% of the time, since you can take short cuts.

artofregicide
2013-03-07, 02:46 AM
Before they leave, the wizard speaks threateningly to the Giant

"If you ever cause me trouble again, expect a swift death. That I can promise."

Despite his attempts, he sounds more like a bratty child full of empty threats than an actual danger.

Intimidate [roll0]

Søren has no attachment to the Goblin, but wouldn't mind riding on the cart instead of walking. He'll go either way. If they take the cart, he rests on it, but doesn't sleep.

3drinks
2013-03-07, 01:46 PM
"I think taking the goblin and his cart is definitely preferable, even if it takes a little longer -- do we really know this area well enough to go without a guide? I know that I don't. Leaving when we're better prepared and rested would also be preferable. No sense rushing it and getting ambushed by some gang of mountain bandits, or dirty Gnoll creatures and getting wiped out. We're no good if we're dead after all."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-07, 02:06 PM
"As a matter of fact," the goblin says, and you notice he has lost his fear and as a true opportunist is making the most of forcibly being part of your team, "this is the safest place in this area. Well..." he looks at the beaten giant "...it used to be a place most people, even villains, would avoid."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-08, 07:34 PM
The team, together with the goblin, moves out to travel to Ardt. Since the Ettin is in no condition to travel, I am assuming you are not taking him along. I am also assuming you had the decency to cut his bonds. You travel for about five hours, until well after dark, with a forest on your right hand and, in the distance, the city of Imsal on your left hand. At this point the goblin says that the rest of the journey is through the forest and you decide this is a good point to rest (it is close to 11 pm). The night is uneventful.

The next morning you travel through the forest to where Ardt is supposed to live. After a four to five hour march you notice a change in the forest. Where up until now tall pine trees were competing with lush deciduous trees for the light, they make way for shrubs, some short birch trees and many, many tree stumps. The former trees have not been lumbered, but appear to have been snapped at between 2 to 5 feet height. This 'clearance' is pretty huge. It is at least a thousand feet long and 300 feet wide, and it looks like it makes a bend to the right in the distance, so perhaps it is even bigger than what you can see right now.

Approaching the clearance, at a distance of 200 feet into the 'field', you spot a house. The goblin halts and says: "I don't want to go further. There is Ardt." It takes you all a while to realize what the goblin just implied. The house you are seeing, you notice now, is a creature. That is how big it is. Agreed, it is not much bigger than a poor peasants' house, but then again Ardt is sitting. Would he stand up, he would be as big as a house befitting a wealthy tradesman.

It is hard to see what he is doing, but after some peering and discussion you collectively conclude he is eating a grizzly bear, raw, with his right hand. The middle finger of his left hand is somewhere way up his nose. Probably preparing dessert. With his middle hand he is scratching his cross. Yes, he has three arms, the third one protruding from his chest. You can not make out any other details from this distance, but you are pretty sure this guy does not look very pretty.

Before you do anything important (besides talking), I would like to hear from the spellcasters whether they made adjustments to their spell list.

3drinks
2013-03-08, 08:21 PM
As we did rest before coming to this point, are our hit points back to maximum?

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 01:22 AM
The Wizard doesn't enjoy his rest in the woods, but wakes up refreshed enough to prepare a new round of spells. He seems to... giggle when he selects his arcane arsenal.

The rest of the journey is tense: this Ardt sounds incredibly dangerous. Søren is quite aware they could be going to their deaths, but the disappoint the Duke would be a more certain end.

Still, the... brute looks to be massive, and three arms? They'd already fought a two-headed Giant, much smaller, and nearly lost the orc. This was going to be... a difficult fight. But Søren was ready, or at least he hoped to be.

With a few incantations, transparent armor appears around the wizard, and his body again changes shape into the unpleasant reptile form. It is clear that Søren chooses this form for it's thick bony skin.

With a shrug, Søren draws his crossbow. His dagger and wand are close by on his belt, and his scythe protrudes from behind his shoulders.

"Two headed Giant? Felled. Bigger Giant with three arms? It'll fall harder."

It's clear from his voice the wizard doesn't believe his own words. He adds a note:

"I can assist one of you, doubling your size with my arcane power, but for a short time only. Who shall I plan to... grow?"

All this time, the Raven is perched on the scythe handle, waiting for things to begin.

OOC and Mechanics:
Søren casts Extended Mage Armor on himself, and if he has time, Alter Self- Troglodyte. That gives him +4 Armor and +6 Nat Armor, bringing his AC to 23. He waits in casting resistance until he is closer.

His Raven gains the Mage Armor, I don't know about the Nat Armor. I'd assume not.

Søren wields his masterwork crossbow. The wizard's dagger and wand are sheathed on his belt. His scythe is slung across his back.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-09, 06:17 AM
Zirc and Soren:
You have gained 4 hit poins by resting, Zirc, and Soren, your raven is not eligible for the Alter self Troglodyte effect (Alter self changes you into a creature of the same type), so no changes for him.

J-H
2013-03-09, 10:00 AM
I still had a couple of level 2 spells and a couple of level 1 spells left - forgot people were still damaged. Can they be retroactively converted to healing spells in the journey (before we rested)?

Ooops...

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-09, 10:45 AM
I still had a couple of level 2 spells and a couple of level 1 spells left - forgot people were still damaged. Can they be retroactively converted to healing spells in the journey (before we rested)?

Ooops...

Yes, that's all right.

J-H
2013-03-09, 11:26 AM
Big lot of spellcasting

Healing from last night
CMW [roll0]
CMW [roll1]
CLW [roll2]
CLW [roll3]
Distribute as needed amongst those without full HP.

Now that we're only a couple of hundred feet from Ardt:

Self: Longstrider, +10' move speed, 4 hours
Self: Shield of Faith, +2 AC, 4 minutes
Self: Bull's Strength, +4 str, 4 min
Party: Bless, +1 ab, +1 saves vs fear, 4 min
Zirc: Bull's Strength, +4 str, 4 min (he asked first, and already has higher AB)
Self: Resistance, +1 saves, 1 minute
Zirc: Resistance, +1 saves, 1 minute
Berend: Resistance, +1 saves, 1 minute

"We already know he eats people...I'm not inclined to leave him alive....although interrogating him might not be a bad idea, I don't want to take any risks. I'll open up with something to weaken him, then a sound burst to stun him while you guys close the distance."

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 07:01 PM
The Wizard takes a close look at his foe. How is he armored, and is he currently armed (in regards to weapons, not limbs)?

He readies himself, casts a few more spells, including increasing the size of the Orc Warrior by double. And then he moves out with them, standing behind the others, but not so far that he could be flanked.

"One step at a time, Dwarf. First we'll have to bring the creature to its knees before we cut its throat... And that'll be a task in of itself. I can attempt to make it fall it when it charges, and reduce the creature's strength. Beyond that, I won't be much help."

Mechanics and OOC:
Søren walks at least 10 feet behind the others, making sure that he cannot be reached by the charging Giant, should it attempt to go around.

Wait until right before the battle starts (right before rolling initiative) to cast resistance on self. (10 rounds)

Cast Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm) on Zirc before initiative starts as well. (4 minutes)

Hold an action until it comes within range, and then cast Grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm) right in front of the charging Giant. DC 15 Reflex.

Initiative [roll0]

Spot Check [roll1] Is the Giant wearing armor, or carrying a weapon or weapons?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-09, 07:32 PM
You are standing at the egde of the clearing, just within the forest, casting your spells and preparing for battle. The tension created by knowing that you will face a creature that might snap your spine without noticing it is hanging heavily in the air. You can feel it, you can even smell it.

Suddenly, the tension is relieved by a rather distracting event. A voice, coming from behind you, rings: "Hey... psssst!" A small silence ensues. "What the hell do you think you are doing?" As you turn around, you see a human man, right about 30 years old. He stares at you with determined blue eyes, partly concealed by long blond hairs. He then scratches his blond beard with his left hand while he sorts his long and fancy purple cloak with his other hand. His clothes are rather posh, and you would hold him for a very wealthy merchant, if not nobility, when encountered in a city. "That monster will kill you. Are you insane?" He makes an effort to temper his voice, and his facial expression emanates urgency.

J-H
2013-03-09, 08:23 PM
"We think he's responsible for taking a couple of things from us that will get us killed if we don't get them back. We have a plan. What is it to you?"

artofregicide
2013-03-09, 08:48 PM
The wizard turns towards the newcomer, aiming his crossbow suspiciously.

"Who the blazes are you? And what concern is it of yours if we slay this Giant? I am a wizard of incredible power, and I certainly won't be talked down to by a posh fop."

Ironically, Søren is probably more a posh fop than the man. Regardless, he seems a bit glad for an excuse not to get horribly killed.

3drinks
2013-03-10, 12:16 AM
If I use my Rage, will those bonuses stack with Bull's Strength and Enlarge Person?

The rather enlarged, brutish looking Orc turns around to the voice of the new guy. Zirc was readying for battle, but what was this new distraction?

"You better speak, and you better speak real good, stranger. We are readying for battle but it is no problem to cut you with one swing from my axe if you are here distract our mission."

Phyzor
2013-03-10, 02:49 AM
Just concentrating on the fight ahead Berend-Jan just looks a little baffled to the man and decides the question of the others are going to give the team enough information to his intentions.

We should hurry, this magic will fade in time he whispers to urge to group to make haste.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-10, 06:54 AM
The man raises his hands and makes a motion indicating he wants to defuse, temper, the situation. "Please, calm down. I know what you are looking for, but Ardt does not have it" He shoots a quick glance at the monster. "Now, will you follow me a bit deeper into the forest? I can explain everything, but I don't want to be spotted by Ardt."

Zirc:
Yes, all three strength bonuses stack since they are all different types (size bonus, enhancement bonus and unnamed bonus).

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-10, 06:58 AM
Soren:
He seems to be wearing some form of leather or hide armor. Next to him lie three big logs. It is hard to see the details, but they might function as a form of mace for someone his size.

J-H
2013-03-10, 11:17 AM
"He hasn't seen us yet... don't talk loudly or wave your arms and you'll be fine. Magic can be fleeting. Talk quickly."

artofregicide
2013-03-10, 02:04 PM
The Wizard agrees. This is a chance, but the man seems to know about their stolen goods, and Søren isn't surprised that the brute wouldn't have their gear.

"Spit it out man! My magic doesn't last forever."

3drinks
2013-03-10, 02:33 PM
Zirc shrugs, looking at the stranger, perhaps a half-frown takes over his face.

"But all talk and no play makes this a sad day...and I was just ready to play with our new friend."

Zirc casts another quick glance to the beast.

"However, one could say discretion is the better part of valour...so I'm listening."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-10, 03:11 PM
"Allright, allright, don't worry about your magic." He peers again at Ardt, nervously. "You can thank me later for preventing you heading for a certain death." He fixes his gaze again on you. "The cargo you were carrying, the boxes, are in the possession of the Duke of Imsal. Since that was your goal, I guess you can consider yourself dismissed from your task." He pauses a small moment and then adds: "Though I guess you won't be getting any payment."

He moves a bit to hide behind a tree so Ardt can't see him. "Anyway, I wanted to ask you something. Ask for your help. I can't offer much in the form of payment, but I hope that ensuring the stability of the continent we live on is rewarding enough for you. However, it requires you to have an open mind about things and to trust me. Can I count on that?"

J-H
2013-03-10, 03:19 PM
"Who are you, and why should we trust you? How do you know the Duke, and how would you know who we are? We did not mention boxes."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-10, 03:41 PM
He sighs and seems uncomfortable giving the information you requested. "My name is Erick. The Duke of Imsal, Danil, is my brother." Those of you with a little interest in politics and history know that the Duke of Imsal indeed has a brother called Erick. There's no saying whether this is actually him or not. "I hope that explains how I know about you and your mission."

J-H
2013-03-10, 04:27 PM
"Who delivered the items, which may or may not have been boxes, and when?"

3drinks
2013-03-10, 05:00 PM
"Yeah, I'm all for having our mission believed to be a success, but how do you expect us to believe a stranger who just appeared here? Do you have any proofs that prove your identity is who you claim to be?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-10, 05:37 PM
"I honestly can not prove who I am. You will have to believe me. And the boxes were taken by force by the Duke's guard from the person that took them from you. That person would be me." He smirks in apology. "I am sorry about that, by the way. But it was for a good reason."

3drinks
2013-03-10, 06:00 PM
"Hmm. Tell us more about this reason."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-11, 04:21 AM
"Allright, let me start at the beginning." He pauses a moment to overthink the order in which he will tell you his story while he again anxiously peers at Ardt. "I really think we should get out of here, but okay."

"One of the boxes you were carrying contained a circlet, the other two were decoys. The circlet has some monetary value, but nothing a Duke will worry about. The value is symbolic. The circlet is also sometimes called the 'anticrown'." He pauses a moment to let this sink in. "Each time when the Rule of the continent goes from one Duke to the other, this circlet makes the opposite transition. The circlet works like a bond, a token to show that the Rule will come back to the Duke that just gave it away." He eyes you to check whether you understand.

"Now, this function is ceremonial. Nobody really cares. However, my brother discovered something I think even the Duke of Baten does not know. The circlet can be used to call a creature of darkness, whatever that may be. I am convinced my brother intends to use it and try to seize control of the whole continent." A dramatic pause ensues, during which he hopes you will be grasped by the vast implications of his message. He is a gifted and convincing speaker, you must admit. "Now, I don't know any details about this creature, or how my brother wants to use it, but I still decided to intercept the boxes. Sadly, my brother was on to me and I was ambushed by some of his warriors. I got away, but they got the boxes." He now looks at you with an asking and pleading look. "I guess I won't be very welcome around the Duke's palace, so I turn to you. I need you to stop him. Peace has served the continent well, and an era of internal struggle is something only my brother benefits from. The people will pay and bleed."

3drinks
2013-03-11, 01:41 PM
Zirc looks rather inquisically at the hooded man, he can't help but be a bit astonished at the implications of what he has just heard.

"So, wait...some piece jewelry that the nobility sends back and forth is suspected of calling forth demons and devils of great power? And you want us to stop it?" Zirc shakes his head in disbelief at the task, "Who are we to you, that you would contact us seemingly 'out of the blue' and entrust to us such a significant task? I can't help but think there is more to such a tale. If I am going to become a demon slayer of sorts, I need to know all of the details."

"And what is to become of that gigantic monster, Ardt?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-11, 02:06 PM
"I know the Duke of Baten, Lord Worf, personally and know that he is a wise man. He trusted you with the circlet, which tells me you are capable fighters. Also, I think Bob-Bob would agree." He smirks. "I'll be honest, next to the fact that I believe you are able, you are also my last resort. No doubt my brother has put a price on my head. What can I do? If I go to the Duke of Baten, the brittle trust between our lands might be at risk. Lord Worf is wise, but also stubborn. He is a dwarf, after all, and they can carry a grudge." He eyes Jord and Berend Jan: "No offense. I mean I prefer to solve this internally."

He looks at Ardt again. "As for Ardt. Just let him be? He has not bothered our villages in ages. If you attack him and fail, he might take revenge on the people living here in the country side."

J-H
2013-03-11, 07:17 PM
"We were told he eats people."

"And how did you take the boxes from us?"

artofregicide
2013-03-11, 08:30 PM
The Wizard, fascinated by this turn of events, continues to listen.

His bird, however, gives some sage advice, agreeing with the Duke's brother.

"Let us move away from Ardt, before we discuss further. No need to fight a losing battle due to carelessness"

This time, Søren doesn't complain. He moves away from the Giant's home, further into cover, and suggests the others do as well.

"Our window has passed, friends. Let's not provoke that beast... we can fell him another day. Now, as we walk, please continue... but first, what is your name? You seem to know us better than we know you."

The wizard is surprisingly reasonable, possibly because he is incredibly curious.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-12, 02:07 AM
The man gladly joins you in moving away from Ardt. "I heard he has an agreement with the less civilized races, but as far as I know, he mostly ends up eating the victims of struggle between goblins, orcs and the local giants. I can assure you the list of missing people, at least those that were reported, is rather small around Imsal. My father was very concerned with the safety of his people. And my name is Erick. Erick of Imsal." Once at safe distance, he halts and continues talking.

"I knew you were traveling in groups of two, that is standard protocol. So, I had you tracked down and then, ehm, convinced Bob-Bob to knock you out. I took your boxes and made sure you would not remember anything. I am sorry about that, but it is a harmless procedure that removes just a couple of minutes from your minds, though it may feel like more. I then instructed Bob-Bob to set you free once you would wake up. However, and that was truely stupid of me, I changed his memory after telling him that. So, he forgot those instructions as well as knocking you out."

3drinks
2013-03-12, 02:51 PM
"So then the question begs to be asked...why did you have us knocked out? Was all of this done because you just wanted to get our attention? Why not just contact us normally, on the road to deliver these boxes, instead of going through all this trouble?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-12, 02:57 PM
"Well, in my original plan my brothers' guards did not jump me and did not use violence to take the boxes from me. I would have taken them and hidden them somewhere and no-one in the world, not you guys, not Bob-Bob and especially not my brother would know where the circlet was." He shrugs. "That was the plan. But the guards did get to me and well, here we are..."

artofregicide
2013-03-12, 05:11 PM
The Wizard, having heard all this, laughs quite inappropriately. He still looks like some sort of ancient lizard, but his nasally voice is quite familiar.

"You, Erick, are somewhere between a genius and an idiot. I personally don't give half the heavens about royal intrigue, but both you and your brother have used me against my will. I do not like being lied to, so you would be wise not to lie to us now."

It seems that Søren believes the man, and is intrigued by the circulate or anti-crown or whatever this is. This simple task has become, well, an adventure.

"So? Continue: What do we do now? I'm interested in helping recover this artifact..."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-13, 02:19 AM
Erick ponders a moment: "Well, it depends on whether my brother has already used the circlet. I don't know if it involves some long ritual or uttering just a simple phrase. What would be best is if we, or rather you, can stop my brother from using it, if it is not too late. Otherwise we will have to clean up the mess he created, whatever that may turn out to be..."

Phyzor
2013-03-13, 02:54 AM
Berend-Jan is stroking his beard in a way that it looks like he is thinking about what was all said. Hmphf, I am a fighter he mumbles. Political intrigues, schmintrigues. I should smack you Erick for knocking me out and meddling with my mind. He pauzes for a moment to let it sink in. But if it is true what you are saying we should stop your brother.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-14, 02:46 PM
"Well, it would mean a lot to me, and to this land, if you could find a way to stop his evil plans. I am afraid I will have to go in hiding. My brother will have me arrested as soon as I am found and being seen in my company won't reflect on you well. It for sure won't be a help." He starts pacing back and forth, thinking.

"I am homeless and powerless at the moment, yet I would like to think of myself as a resourceful man." He stops pacing and looks at you. "I will find ways to get in contact with you and will use my connections to provide any support I can. Also," he raises his hand and starts pacing again, "I will start working on a fitting reward for when you succeed. Fitting for a hero."

"If you are willing to accept this burden, I would not only like to thank you, but also politely stress that haste is of importance." The intonations of these lasts words are so that it makes you realize that, if what he is saying is true, whatever disaster is developing, is developing right now, as you speak.

J-H
2013-03-14, 04:24 PM
"I still don't think this adds up. If there was one circlet, why did we have two boxes?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-14, 04:37 PM
OoC/All
@J-H: Three boxes actually, the two players that dropped out also had a box. I decided to never mention the characters since they never started this game, but the 'story' has three boxes. Not that it really matters, but just for completeness sake.

"It is protocol, a sort of security measure. If somebody would want to intercept a parcel from one duke to the other, they would have a large chance to intercept a decoy parcel." He shrugs. "It strikes me as a bit weird as well, but I did not make these protocols, and they are really old."

artofregicide
2013-03-14, 06:03 PM
The wizard grows impatient.

"I have no need for a lecture in history. I know it quite well enough. What is your plan, Erick? How do we go about recovering said boxes and gaining our 'heroic' reward? What is our first step?"

The raven adds on the end:

"Whatever it may be, let us hope it is less difficult than fighting a Giant. We won't be prepared today for a full fight..."

Søren interrupts

"Silence, fool. We can handle what we must. But I agree: I have wasted much powerful magic on a wasted endeavor."

3drinks
2013-03-14, 10:53 PM
Zirc looks around, he listens intently to the conversation, though he seems to have nothing of his own to add to te discussion. He seems to be ready to follow through with the plan the party comes up with.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-15, 02:14 AM
"I have a friend I can trust in a small village bordering Imsal. I will go there and hide from my brothers' men. As for you, I guess it would be best to head to my brother's palace and try to find out what is going on. From here on I will have to trust on your judgement. As I said, I have ways to contact you, so we will be in contact soon again."

It will take 8 hours to travel to Imsal, and then one more to reach the palace and enter it (you can't typically just barge into these kinds of places). So, you can grab an inn in Imsal and head to the palace first thing in the morning if you want (given your spells situation).

OoC:
I am deliberately having Erick bow out at this point: I want you guys to make decisions and run the show, not my NPC :smallwink:

3drinks
2013-03-15, 11:33 AM
"Well, what do we do? Surely if we go to Ismal now, the Duke will try to accuse us of something since we don't have our parcel. Do you think that, even though he has the circlet, he will still try and blame us for not delivering it in a timely manner and/or showing up empty-handed in the first place? Maybe it is in my own nature, but I do not understand what we can hope to accomplish by going to the Palace now -- it seems like walking into the enemy's camp, if Erick's words are to be trusted.

But I am only one Orc...if the rest of you feel this is the proper course of action, then I will go along."

artofregicide
2013-03-15, 03:06 PM
The Wizard agrees with the orc, adding his own opinion to the matter.

"I find that it might be wiser to take a more subtle approach to confronting the Duke. We should seek out a thieves guild, or something or the like in order to gain more information before we act. That is my opinion, anyway."

We need a rogue. I don't overly much care if its a DMPC or player (though I'd prefer player, honestly) but in order to round out this party, we need a Party member of that variety...

J-H
2013-03-15, 03:50 PM
"I don't like this... fighting is one thing, but intrigue? Politics? Can't we get some pansy aristocrat to do this for us?"

Phyzor
2013-03-18, 03:39 AM
I do believe you Erick and I feel we need to stop whatever is going on. I suggest we do go to Imsal and stay there for the night. Perhaps some townsfolk working within the castlewalls can tell us more. Having a few beers in the Inn is a good way to get people talking, plus i like beer.

I agree having an audience with the duke will probably end up in getting our heads cut off for breaking long term traditions. Plus the duke doens't want his plans to be publicly known, so getting rid of us keeps the socalled bond alive.

And Søren, perhaps some thieves are able to help us indeed. It is a viable option to remember, although i do not like them.
It IS clear we need more information on this matter than Erick can currently provide us.

J-H
2013-03-18, 03:29 PM
Jord mumbles and complains some more before heading in the direction of Imsal with his brow furrowed.

artofregicide
2013-03-19, 01:40 AM
Having arrived at the outskirts, Søren grows all the more paranoid. His fear of discovery by the Duke's men puts him on edge, and his history of being persecuted is still fresh in his mind.

The Wizard asks the locals about the general news, particularly about the Duke and any sort of business in those regards. He isn't particularly suave or likeable, but he buys 5 ales which he splits between whoever is willing to talk.

It seems that the obnoxious man is more easily tolerated with a bit drunk, and hopefully those who speaks with provide some helpful information, or at least some sort of news.

Gather Information:
[roll0] DC 10? SRD Page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/gatherInformation.htm)

I spent 20 CP on ales: one of them Søren drinks himself.

Søren is only looking for general news, that might give them some clue on current events, nothing specific.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-19, 04:48 PM
Erick joins you to the outskirts of the city, where he takes off to hide at this friends' place. He believes it is better if you don't know his location tonight and wants to travel on tomorrow again, but does not know yet where to. Again, he stresses he will find a way to contact you. He thanks you again in advance and hands you a pouch with 15 gold pieces as a token of trust, as an advance reward and to cover expenses in the city. He also gives you directions to a good and socially active part of town and recommends an inn called 'The jousting Unicorns'. Finally, he advices you to seek out Albert Carpentersson. He tells you this a servant at the palace that likes to hang out there and also enjoys a beer or two.

From where Erick leaves you it takes you roughly 40 minutes of walking to reach the inn. Even though it is getting late, the innkeeper is still serving food and offers you lodging, four meals and four breakfasts for 2.5 gp, which is a fairly good price in the big city. The price of a mug of ale is 4 copper pieces. The food is decent and while you eat the inn slowly fills with drinkers, gamblers and what no doubt in the end will turn out to be brawlers. While the dwarves and orc quite likely have a keen interest in the local ale, Søren is more focused on the people around him and starts mingling.

There seems to be no news related to your quest, but for what it is worth a knight was recently disowned because he raised too high taxes and donated too little to the Duke. Also, a local priest has announced that enough funds have been raised to start building a new chapel, which will most likely be dedicated to the blind and disabled.

In good news, Søren does manage to bump into a man who claims to be Albert Carpentersson. A balding man in his 40's with clothing showing that he has a steady income, but his watery eyes also show what he mostly spends that money on. He is sitting alone at a table and gladly accepts your offer for a beer...

artofregicide
2013-03-21, 01:36 PM
Having given a beer to Albert Carpentersson, the Wizard sits beside him and tries his best to non-threateningly and subtly converse about Erick and the situation with the circulate or anti-crown.

"Hello friend: have a pint, it'll make your day a bit better, yes? You must be Albert. My friend Erick, of rather... noble background, sent me to speak with you. I'm sure you'd be glad to give some advice in return for me picking up your tab? There's plenty of ale in this tavern, certainly."

While Søren's voice is about as pleasant as being beaten with a stick, his offer of further drink and general forced friendliness should make up for it.

OOC:
I'm not gonna roll another check unless I need to. Currently, we haven't run into any difficult, so my last check should work just as well.

3drinks
2013-03-21, 01:51 PM
Zirc arrives into 'The Jousting Unicorns'. He surveys the building, noting the distinct aromas of alcohol and humanity intertwined in the atmosphere. He breathes it in and laughs. Then walks up to the counter, taking audience with the bartender.

"Aye, you run a fine establishment here," the rather stout Orc mentions to the man behind the counter, "I'll have a pint of ye strongest drink, Orc Kragg Spirits I think they be, if ye have 'em." The Orc flips a couple of coins onto the counter for the drink. "Say, what can you tell me about this city, the politics and the people, the 'guildhalls' if you will. I'm just a curious sort, brand new in town and all. Gotta find someplace to earn my keep is all."

3drinks
2013-03-21, 01:53 PM
I guess that might be a simple Gather Information check? So i might as well throw a roll out there.

[roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-21, 03:37 PM
"Erick? Erick who...? But yeah, I'll take your offer for a beer. Abert is the name, aye. And you are...?" He stretches his back and shows a grimas. "Me back hurts, been carrying too heavy for too long. Och, I donated for the building of that chapel dedicated to the disabled. I guess I should be fine. I just hope the thing gets build, huh?" He laughs. "Anyway, what's up?"

At the bar the innkeeper smiles at Zirc's compliment. "You are in luck, master Orc. I have a few small kegs of the stuff in the back. Though, if I open one, you will have to pay for the whole four pints. The stuff goes bad, and not many here around drink it. That's three silver pieces." He looks at you apologetically. "It's quite an exotic brew over here." He stops cleaning mugs and tosses his towel over his shoulder. "This is a big city, my friend, the biggest on the continent! You will have to narrow your question down, or we'll be talking here till tomorrow!" He laughs and nudges at you. "Shall I get you the Kragg Spirits?"

3drinks
2013-03-21, 06:32 PM
At the bar the innkeeper smiles at Zirc's compliment. "You are in luck, master Orc. I have a few small kegs of the stuff in the back. Though, if I open one, you will have to pay for the whole four pints. The stuff goes bad, and not many here around drink it. That's three silver pieces." He looks at you apologetically. "It's quite an exotic brew over here." He stops cleaning mugs and tosses his towel over his shoulder. "This is a big city, my friend, the biggest on the continent! You will have to narrow your question down, or we'll be talking here till tomorrow!" He laughs and nudges at you. "Shall I get you the Kragg Spirits?"

"Three silver? Sure, that is fine my good man," Zirc nodded in agreement, "Of course hahahaha," Zirc boasted with the bartender. "Let's talk about 'guildhalls' and the sort. You know, like the kind of places an adventurer like myself could find good paying, sturdy work."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-22, 02:47 AM
The bartender disappears for a few seconds and then comes back with a keg. He taps it and puts it in front of you, as well as a nice big stone mug. "Well, there's the explorers league. They go to far away regions and map it and whatnot. They seem to be recruiting personnel for security. Also, the major contractor of adventurers is the Duke, actually. There is always some threat to fight somewhere in the land." He signs you to hold on a moment as he helps out a different customer swiftly. When he comes back, he continues: "There's of course the city guard and night watch, but that might be a bit below your abilities. If not, report to the keep next to the castle. Keeping the streets safe in this city is a job that never ends. Then there are various churches that hire folk to fight off evil and things. Don't know much about that, you'd have to go around and ask there." He stops and looks at you: "Is there any specific kind of job you would like to do?"

3drinks
2013-03-22, 12:39 PM
Zirc sets the mug under the tap and fills his cup full to the top. "Ahh, that hits the spot. Nothing like a nice strong drink. Of course, most humans can't handle this kind of drink," Zirc boasted in jest. Zirc gets a slightly more serious look on his face as he answers the bartender. "Specific work? Well truth be told I am a bit new to this area, but have a couple of companions to travel with. So I am a bit interested in exploring the land, knowing what is around me, ya' know? Also knowing what ticks around the city is important as well, I'd assume. Working for the city watch is an alright job, but I reckon such a position would get boring for me after awhile. There is no place there for me to put my great strength to good use, bah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

This 'Explorer's League' sounds interesting though. And to hire for security personnel? That sounds right up my alley. I might let my travel mates know as well, seems it's always good to find a steady income in a new city. Could you tell me where I would go to find this league?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-22, 02:36 PM
The bar man nods. "Yeah, that's on Sun Square, where the church devoted to the Lord of the Light is. It is the large square right to the left of the Duke's palace when you face it. There's a map and a compass on the front of the building, can't miss it." He again helps another guest. "They hire security for sure, I mentioned that because you strike me as the type of guy that can do that well, but I am sure they need other type of folk as well. Don't know much details, but their missions are often very long and not seldom dangerous, so they maintain a large pool of workers."

3drinks
2013-03-22, 05:26 PM
Zirc nods at the bar man's words. "Thank you for the directions, much obliged sir. I'll share this information with my comrades...as soon as I find them inside this tavern, bah ha ha ha ha ha." Zirc flips a gold coin in the air to the bar man. "For you, for your helpful information, sir," Zirc says with an Orcish grin, filling up his mug once more.

J-H
2013-03-22, 06:58 PM
Jord lifts a pint of ale and waves at Zirc from his table, indicating his position now that Zirc appears to be done.

artofregicide
2013-03-23, 12:39 AM
The Wizard tries to smile at the lush, but to anyone observant person, his contempt is obvious. He probes the man for information:

"I've had a rough day, I'm afraid. The outskirts are getting more and more unpleasant. Goblins and Giants and such nasties. But I don't want to talk about that. It isn't good drinking talk. Instead, tell me sir about this chapel, and yourself. I can certainly keep the beer flowing."

All this time, Søren's raven flits about, listening to any useful snatches of conversation, appearing to only be a random bird stuck inside the building, but staying well out of reach.

Rolls:
Hellion (Raven) Listen Check for anything interesting [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-23, 05:33 AM
The bartender thanks Zirc and assures him he has a few more kegs, and that he will make sure to get more should Zirc decide to become a regular guest.

Albert nods in agreement. "Oh, yeah, I much prefer the safety of the city walls. And I can't complain, I work at the Duke's palace and live right next to it. Doesn't get any safer, huh?" He eyes Søren: "I am sorry, what was your name again?" In the meanwhile your familiar is listening in on all sorts of conversations, and through your empathic link you learn that he is not hearing anything related to your quest. You also feel he is at times a bit confused because most conversations are meaningless to him*.

People talk about people, buildings, events, sport teams etc. you guys don't know the name of. For you the conversations would be hard to follow, but a bird that has had much less experience in the human world has an even harder time trying to make sense of a conversation that goes like this:

-Did you hear about cross-eyed Bertha?
-Yeah, Garth is in trouble!
-Hah, there goes the winning stew, eh?
-Och, I hear the youngsters take after the mother. They'll be back in two years.

3drinks
2013-03-23, 01:55 PM
Zirc looks over to see Jord waving. He nods and tops off his mug then heads over to his table.

"Hello friend. I found some contacts we can use. Nothing about what Erick discussed with us before, but more of a 'guildhall' called the 'Explorer's League' -- could be a valuable resource for us, as well as a source of income should we decide to set up base here in town. They seem to be a guild of adventurers who go on long missions to uncover more vast secrets of the continent, but not particularly dangerous missions. And they're also looking for security personnel, which would seem to suit me alright. It's located in the Sun Square, the bartender mentioned to me.

It is rather late tonight, but I what do you say to telling Berend-Jan and Søren about this and taking a stroll on over there at daybreak? Maybe we can learn more about this mission Erick has tasked us with at this hall?"

artofregicide
2013-03-26, 12:24 AM
The Wizard gives a fake name, and talks with Albert trying to gain any useful information. Then he returns to his fellows and prepares to sleep for the night. His raven accompanies him, having failed to gain anything useful.

OOC:
In order to speed things up, I think I'm just gonna roll an all purpose charisma check (since my diplomacy, bluff, and gather information are all the same, -2)

[roll0]

Regardless of the results, Søren joins the others and goes to bed. He's open to whatever quests they figure out.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-26, 01:14 AM
Albert tells you he works in the palace and you learn that the Duke was unavailable to visitors today, with the exception of a select few men he was expecting. He does not know who these men were. During the conversation, you notice he becomes a bit wary and lets you know he should not give inside information on palace business to 'strangers'.

I am giving you a moment to finish the conversation with Zirc before I go to tomorrow.

DMrolls:

General wisdom check:
[roll0]
[roll1]

artofregicide
2013-03-26, 12:36 PM
The Wizard meets up with the others. Hearing the Orc speak of the Explorers Guild, and their mission, he merely nods consent, and then adds:

"Fine by me. Work is work, and that doesn't sound as dull as some jobs I've done. Still, I'm not quite certain what to do about Erick's... situation. For now, I can't see that we can do anything. Regardless, tomorrow, let's check the place out."

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-26, 05:34 PM
You have a couple more beers or milk, or water, or distilled blood of babies born on the 13th, whatever (though the latter is not for sale and would have to be brewed, kept and drunk in secrecy) before you go to bed and head off to the Explorer's League the next morning.

The directions Zirc got were easy enough to follow. Once close to the palace, you find a big church square named Sun square and a large part of the eastern side of the square is dominated by a big building with a huge compass and map hewn from solid stone attached to the front of it. There is a big 10 ft high and 25 ft wide door, or rather gate, giving way to a hall which is large enough to serve as a market hall. Many people walk in and out and once inside, you find that people go there for information, visit the library, sell stuff they think (or hope) is antique and valuable and whatnot more. There are at least a dozen counters with one or two clerics attending the people's needs and questions. By the grandeur of the interior and the materials used in decoration, you can see this League makes good profits from the things they do.

Two important things occur to you: First, there is a counter with a sign saying Enlistment: inquiry here. There is one man behind the counter and there is no line at the moment. Apparently people are not that keen on doing possibly dangerous missions. Second, there is a large portion of the northern wall reserved for all kinds of smaller signs, notes and scrolls. Above it is a sign Free for all (the League is not responsible for issuing these jobs, hiring the workers nor any bad consequences of these jobs). As you walk past this board, which has dozens and dozens of jobs on them, you notice the next few:

Looking for a gardener with knowledge of exotic plants for one day per week. Wage: 1 gold piece per day of work minus 5 gold pieces for each plant that dies. Contact information through the general desk at the League.

Looking for transporter (in possession of own horse and cart) to pick up a load of stone from the Wildpass mines. 5 gold pieces up front, 10 on delivery. Contact information through the general desk at the League.

Sell your hair, nail clippings and various body fluids! The pay is good! You don't ask what I use them for, I don't ask how you got it! Contact information through the general desk at the League.
I can be found in Harald's Bar!
Find me in the sewer system!

Trained guards needed to protect the cities biggest and best smithy. Earns 2 gold pieces per week as well as a hefty discount on your weapons purchases! Contact information through the general desk at the League.

The farmers of the borough of Parden have collected 150 gold pieces as a reward for finding and slaying the beasts that are attacking our cattle. Bring us their heads and after a week of peace on our pastures, you will get your reward!

Harald sucks! Don't go to his bar!

The Cinca Mines have just opened and the diggers found an underground passage. Five of them died before they could close the passage. In honour of these men (but we'd also really want to continue mining), this mystery needs to be solved and the passage needs to be investigated and cleared of threats. We can not offer money, but applicants can keep all the treasure they might find (even though we have the rights to the mine) and we offer you 10% of the profits of our mine in the year after the passage has been cleared. Trained applicants only. Report to the mines if interested, south-west of Imsal.

Looking for a baby sitter for our very special baby. Resistance to fire mandatory. Pays 3 gp per week, in-house lodging optional. Contact information through the general desk at the League.

Phyzor
2013-03-27, 05:23 PM
After many beers, Berend-Jan wasnt able to keep track on exactly how many, he wasnt able to gather any usefull information.
He does remember dancing on the table trying to seduce, well.... someone, or thats what he believes.

Having some trouble getting up, he is finally able to get to the league with the others.
Sorry if i kept you waiting, but i lost my.... ehhh backpack. Luckily i found it.

Walking into the league's hall his eye falls on the job in the mines. He does miss the smell of the mines. He knows they're here for the duke and his box, but whats the harm in asking?

How long does it take to travel to the Cinca mines? he asks the clerk

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-03-27, 05:26 PM
The man ponders a moment and then speaks: "Well, it is 8, maybe 10 miles. Depends on how fast you move."

J-H
2013-03-27, 06:54 PM
"Doesn't sound that bad, if our "other matter" can wait."

artofregicide
2013-03-27, 07:09 PM
The Wizard concurs.

"I'm for delving into the mines, if you others are as well. I can't say I'm as accustomed to the world below us as much as an Orc or Dwarf, but I'm sure I can be of some help."

3drinks
2013-03-28, 12:15 PM
Zirc reads the various signs, he chuckles at one in particular, then turns to his comrades.

"Does this mean nobody wants to donate their hair, nail clippings, and fluids? Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" Zirc let out a bout of sarcastic laughter. "Farmers hiring someone to investigate missing cattle? You don't suppose that would be Ardt, do you?" Zirc looks around for opinions from his comrades. "The mines seem a good place to go. Could be some good loot, and after we're done we collect some extra gold for a year.

Though I'm certain this will not lead us directly to this 'problem' that Erick told us of. What does everyone think? Should we go for it and put this other mission on the back burner?"

Phyzor
2013-04-02, 04:11 AM
Well, for now we do not have any leads on ways to contact the duke. As i said before, boasting in the castle will probably get our heads cut off. I dont plan on losing my head though.

I believe if we get acquainted with the guild we might learn more. The duke will also have jobs for the guild, so this might be a good way getting in the castle.
And with the mines providing valuable resources for the castle, i think it is a good place to start.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-02, 03:55 PM
You ask for directions and head out of the city towards the mines. The city first gives way to farmland, but after an hour or two the terrain gets more hilly and forested. Along the main road you find, as you have been informed, a sign pointing to the mine. A small forest trail takes you through the hills for about an hour, after which it curls behind a particularly high and rocky hill. On the other side of the hill you find a small quarry, a large wooden structure to house workers and a smaller wooden structure to house the administration.

The place looks pretty abandoned, but after some shouting you find two men in the small house. They have barred the doors and it takes some negotiating for them to come out and speak to you. One man is armed with a crossbow and aims it at a big opening in the hillside while the other adresses you. "Hi folks. The mine is closed at the moment. We are not selling anything, nor are we hiring workers." He looks over his shoulder and peers at the same opening the other man is aiming his crossbow at. " 'Snot safe here. Probably best to leave..."

Phyzor
2013-04-02, 04:13 PM
Hello sirs, you can put that crossbow away unless youre going into the mines with us. We were hired by the explorers league to investigate the mine. We heard there was some trouble, can you tell us more on what happend?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-02, 04:45 PM
The man looks at you somewhat baffled. "You are here because of the add? Well, after four weeks we had lost hope someone wanted to help us out." He scratches his chin and starts explaining: "We were not there when it happened, and those that were either died or fled in panic. Anyway, about 300 feet into the mine, we found an existing corridor. Arching left. After uncovering a small hole that allowed workers to crawl in to check, three men went in. They died within seconds, as did some of the men outside, before they managed to plug the hole with a big boulder." He shrugs in a hopeless manner. "All I know further is that the dead seem to have snapped necks. It looked pretty brutal. The survivors reported only that they had seen large claws..."

J-H
2013-04-02, 09:24 PM
"How big was the hole? I guess your survivors aren't around here...

Can you show us where it is?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-03, 01:39 AM
"It was big enough for a grown man, a strong worker, to crawl through. And no, I am not getting paid enough to go in there. However, you can only go one way inside the mine. After 300 feet you will find a boulder on your left, blood stains and tool marks on the wall. It will be hard to miss."

Phyzor
2013-04-03, 02:53 AM
So they got attacked and died of their injuries by claws, no toxic gasses were involved. Berend-Jan turns to the others and with a small hand movement he says.

Let's go in.

artofregicide
2013-04-03, 11:49 AM
The Wizard pauses, and then agrees.

"Let me make certain that I have my spells properly prepared, and then I am ready. Whatever the danger is, I imagine it will be as hard to spot as fight."

OOC:
I'm going to be picking my spells for the day now, since we weren't really doing anything before now.

3drinks
2013-04-03, 12:59 PM
"Monsters with claws attacked and killed these workers. I guess this means we'll be relying on our Axes." Zirc pulls out his massive double-bladed axe, spins it in his hands. "Well, if we wanna collect our payment and possibly learn more of...that other job...I guess there's only one thing left to do." Zirc gestures with his axe towards the mine entrance. "Well, we're here. Might as well get to work."

Phyzor
2013-04-03, 01:02 PM
I like your attitude Berend-Jan says with what seems like a smile on his face.

All that magic stuff takes so much time, we just rely on our axes. He sighs while waiting for the wizard to prepare.

artofregicide
2013-04-03, 04:58 PM
Flipping through his spellbook, Søren makes certain he is well prepared for the day. He grins a bit as he remembers which spells he picked.

"I am ready, friends. To the mines?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-03, 05:14 PM
You head for the mine and there is indeed one single corridor going into the hillside. It is a mere 7 feet high and 5 feet wide, and the walls are reinforced with wooden structures. There's rubble on the ground here and there and cracks in the walls which tells you (especially the dwarves) that the rock this hill is made of is not very hard and stable. Soon enough you venture so deep that daylight does not penetrate, so Søren will have to reach for his everburning torch in order to see.

After a minute or two walking, you find the spot the man had been talking about. On your left hand you see marks of the picks the workers used to create the hole to the corridor you are about to investigate. On the ground is a large boulder, about one and a half foot wide and high, that you were told covers the hole. On the ground and on the wall you see dark smudges and spatter patterns, which is probably the dried up blood you were told about. The boulder looks heavy, but the dwarves are sure three strong men and one not so strong man should be able to slide it aside when working together. Of course, if one man feels the need to show off and try it alone: It looks like one sudden burst of strength from a strong man might do the trick as well.

J-H
2013-04-03, 06:33 PM
As they arrive at the boulder, Jord casts Bless on the group and Resistance on himself.

3drinks
2013-04-04, 12:02 PM
"Looks like whatever we're after is down this hole. Is there anything else we should do to prepare, before moving this boulder?" Zirc looks around, asking his comrades for advice.

J-H
2013-04-04, 04:48 PM
Jord clasps Zirc's shoulder and mutters a few words, empowering him with increased strength.

Bull's Strength for you

Phyzor
2013-04-05, 02:20 AM
I only need my axe Berend-Jan boasts.

Lets do this! And he walks over the the boulder to move it. Be ready guys, this clawcreature must have heard us already and could lunge right at us once the hole is big enough for it.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-05, 01:57 PM
Berend-Jan moves the stone, which takes some effort, but he manages to just slide it past the hole. A second of silence that seems to last for three seconds ensue as you stare at the hole, wondering what's going to happen.

Zirc:
You hear something shuffeling on the other side of the wall. Could be anything, it is a rather undefined and soft noise, but you do know that abandoned tunnels usually don't make sounds.

J-H
2013-04-05, 05:59 PM
"Soren, do you have a light cantrip? I don't today."

artofregicide
2013-04-05, 08:43 PM
The wizard shakes his head.

"I'm afraid that such magic is... really not my specialty. However, I do have this ever-burning torch. Other than that, nothing."

With that, Søren casts a spell on himself, changing into his preferred troglodyte form.

He looks around, and listens for any sort of danger.

DICE and Spel:
Same Alter Self Spell, 40 minutes.

Listen Check: [roll0]
Spot Check: [roll1]

3drinks
2013-04-05, 09:31 PM
"Wait a minute guys. I hear something on the other side of that wall. I don't know if it is our 'mark' or not. However, tunnels don't generally make noise...so we should prepare for the worst."

3drinks
2013-04-05, 09:57 PM
Strength check to help move the boulder?

[roll0] (+8 Str, +2 Aid Another? Berend-Jan and I are working together on it)

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-06, 01:00 AM
Aside from Zirc's notion of a sound, you hear and see nothing. The hole is indeed not very big, but you can go through it on hands and knees, one by one. The mini tunnel is about two thirds of a foot long.

This means I am going to need a marching order for this mini tunnel: Who goes first, second, third and last?

artofregicide
2013-04-06, 12:51 PM
The wizard stares down the hole. He isn't happy about this.

"Well that is... problematic. Should we get attacked, we'd be quite helpless. My suggestion? Send two at a time. I suggest that I wait until the first two have made their way through."

J-H
2013-04-06, 09:30 PM
Jord sighs, casts a few more spells, and then moves into the hole.

Casting: Longstrider (+10' move speed, duration 4 hours), Bull's Strength, Shield of Faith, Protection from Evil on self.
There went half my spells for the day.

Move into hole, come out the other side, move 5' beyond that, and ready an action to attack anything that seems to be coming into range.

Attack roll if needed:
To-hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit [roll2] [roll3]

3drinks
2013-04-07, 02:46 AM
"Hey Dwarf! Is it safe down there?"

As soon as Jord gives the signal, Zirc will follow him in.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-07, 07:07 AM
As Jord goes in, you watch with great anticipation. First you hear nothing, but then there's a growl, like a fighting cat (a pretty big cat) and a grunt from your dwarven friend and you can see by the motion of his legs that something is attacking, or at least bothering him.

Jord:
The moment you stand up on the other side and want to look around, you hear a growl from above you, where a creature is clinged to the ceiling. It has extremely long and dextrous arms and it is using one of them to attack you. It tries to grab you by the throat, but it misses.

This creature was readying for you and your entrance triggers his action. Therefore, normal initiative starts.

Picture:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG35a.jpg

Order of initiative:
Zirc
Soren
Monster
Berend-Jan
Jord

DMRolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Zirc and Soren are up.

J-H
2013-04-07, 08:30 AM
"Found the monster, 'ware the ceiling as you come in!"

3drinks
2013-04-07, 12:03 PM
"Roger that, on my way buddy!"

Zirc jumps into the hole, scurrying to get to his comrade. When he arrives he gets to his feet with his axe in hand.

I reckon I can't make an attack since moving through this space and standing would be a full-round action.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-07, 12:21 PM
Jord and Zirc:
This is for Zirc, but Jord is right next to it, so he sees this happening.

That's right, it takes a full round to get to the other side. However, the creature (check Jord's spoiler above for a picture) that is hanging from the ceiling makes an attack as you are forced to open your defenses while getting up. A frighteningly large claw attached to a supernaturally long and flexible arm jolts down at you and grabs you by your throat. This deals 4 damage, and you have to make a grapple check to prevent it from choking you.

DMRolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

3drinks
2013-04-07, 02:13 PM
Displacer Beast, eh? never fought one of those before. Cool, I'm open to new experiences.

[roll0] Add +1 if Bless counts towards this since it grants on attack actions, and a Grapple is an attack action. Though the SRD doesn't mention special effects like Bless. Either way, when the difference is between a +12 and +13, I think I'm in decent shape haha.

artofregicide
2013-04-07, 02:29 PM
The Wizard, hearing the cries of his allies, scrambles down the tunnel to help them. His scythe hands on his back, and he only carries his dagger and torch in hand.

Søren shouts to his allies:

"Blazes! Does anyone see the beast?"

OOC:
I assume that'll be all I can do this turn. Otherwise, Søren casts a spell at it: Ray of Enfeeblement. I'll roll the dice if I get a chance.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-07, 02:54 PM
Jord, Soren and Zirc:

Soren, as you enter the fray you see the following creature hanging from the ceiling:

It is trying to get a hold on Zirc's throat. It is not very succesful. It lashes with its tentacles, or arms, three times at Zirc, but only manages to strike him once. After he hits, he tries to grapple, but Zirc is just too strong to hold for him at the moment. Zirc does take 6 damage.

At the same time you notice a second critter of the same type charging in from further in the tunnel. It runs over the ground, and stops right before you and lashes at Jord with both his tentacles. Luckily for the dwarf, he misses. The creatures are small, but with the one on the ground you notice that they have arms that are long enough to fit an ogre, and a reach to go with it. Also, they appear very speedy. The second one came running to you and performed a full attack in the same round. That's quite extraordinary.

Zirc:
Nope, not displacer beasts.

Berend-Jan is up!

Z:
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]

J:
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]

[roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19]

3drinks
2013-04-07, 03:13 PM
Do we have a map of some sort to know where everyone is? I mean combat-wise, of course.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-07, 03:55 PM
Yes, sorry: MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dHc5OGhhdW5Ta293dXpkTzFwLURfU Xc&usp=sharing)

Phyzor
2013-04-08, 06:18 AM
COMING! Berend-Jan shouts, emphasising he feels the need to help the others. He gets on his hands and knees and crawls trough the hole. Swearing in dwarven that this is not something a dwarf should do.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-08, 06:48 AM
Berend-Jan also moves through the hole, and now the four of you are packed in a 10 feet stretch of a 10 feet wide corridor. One monster hanging from the ceiling, above Zirc, and one monster next to Jord.

Zirc and Soren are up, oh, and Jord, who I forgot in the initiative order.

J-H
2013-04-08, 08:04 AM
Jord attacks the creature next to him.

Attacking monster (haven't seen a knowledge check, so I haven't looked up the Displacer Beast referenced) in G5.

Attack [roll]1d20+8[roll]
Damage [roll0]
Crits [roll1] [roll2]
edit Since I botched the attack roll, just use the d20 from the crit role... 18+8 = 26 to-hit...

3drinks
2013-04-08, 01:07 PM
So, how can I attack the monster that is above me? Do I just need to ready my Axe to swing as soon as that guy moves within my range?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-08, 01:43 PM
The corridor is not that high. 8 to 10 feet tops, so you can just hit him as if he was in a square next to you (which he is, from a 3D-grid point of view).

artofregicide
2013-04-08, 02:17 PM
Søren draws his wand from his belt, and points it at the monster on the ceiling. A spray of brilliant colors surrounds the creature, an overwhelming surge of light. The Wizard shouts an insult as he attacks:

"Eat that, scumfiend!"

OOC:
DC 15 Will Save Color Spray SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/colorSpray.htm)

If Søren can target the monster above Zirc with his wand of colorspray, without hitting any of his fellows, he'll do that.

Otherwise, he draws his Scythe and casts Ray of Enfeeblement. I'm going to roll for that in the SPOILER just in case I need to.

Range Touch Attack [roll0]
STR Damage (If HIT) [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-08, 02:36 PM
The sudden spray of colours is dazzling and mesmerizing to some, but luckily nothing more than a distraction. The strange creature, however, gets fully engulfed by the scintillating blast and suddenly appears to lose control over his body as he drops to the ground and stays there, motionless, at Zirc's feet.

Everybody that has a melee weapon drawn is entitled to an attack of opportunity against the stunned critter.

DMRolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

artofregicide
2013-04-08, 02:56 PM
When the creature drops near Søren's feet, he reaches forward and slashes it with his dagger, hoping to slay it before it can stand up. The Wizard is quite elated by his success.

"Before the power of the arcane, you are NOTHING!"

Unfortunately, while his dagger makes contact, it barely breaks the skin of the strange creature. Søren isn't exactly the strongest of warriors.

He plans to ready his scythe and finish the beast: it should be down long enough for him to do so. He directs his fellows towards the other creature, so as not to waste time.

"I'll finish this one: it will not be able to retaliate before I slay it. Focus on the other beast!"

OOC:
Dagger Attack: [roll0]
Damage (If HIT): [roll1]

Søren's scythe can take care of the coup-de-grace: you guys deal with the other thing.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-08, 03:11 PM
Soren:
What makes you say that the dagger does not pierce its skin? The monster has a serious penalty to AC, so you hit it, and weapon damage is always 1 minimum (even with a negative strength).

Anyway, I would prefer it if you did not interpret the consequences of your actions in your posts. Even if you know (or think you know) what monster you are dealing with and its stats, I tend to modify monsters (giving extra HD, for example, or changing their gear; some monsters might be in 'champion mode' and have rolled stats or are using the gear they will drop after the battle). The Ettin, for example, did not have a hide armour on so his AC was lower and was fighting with weapons different from those in his monster stat block (in that case I toned its power down, but in others I might beef it up).

artofregicide
2013-04-08, 03:48 PM
DM: Ah, yes I forgot about the min 1 damage rule. I'll amend that.

If you prefer I don't interpret results (which is to say, add fluff to my actions) then I'll try not to. I just like to add more description than "d20+5", but I'll do my best to avoid outcomes.

As for monster stats, my character's knowledge and my knowledge are separate, but as a character with very high intelligence he's likely to know things that most wouldn't:

For instance, Søren has no idea that these creatures are Chokers, but he has a general idea that they can climb on walls, like to grab people, and are pretty dangerous in their home environment.

I also appreciate the fact that you don't just use monsters straight from the SRD, as a DM I also tend to tweak monsters, even giving them PC classes if it fits.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-08, 04:21 PM
Soren:
Well, I did not mean it that extreme. Adding fluff is fine. It is very good even. There is just a very fine line between 'player territory' and 'DM territory'. If you want your Ray of enfeeblement spell to be a small skull you shoot at a foe rather than a black (or what is it?) ray, that is fine with me. There are actually feats to add these thematics to spells, but as long as the mechanical effects are the same, and you don't overdo it beyond reason, I don't mind whether your Web spells are purple with green spots or just plain by the book.

In this specific case, it would be fine to describe Soren's dagger strike as a weak attempted blow. First of all, because his dagger strikes are by definition weak :smallwink:, but mostly because you rolled very low for damage. Whether he hits the target AC and whether he does any actual damage (e.g. damage reduction) is just over that fine line.

But, by all means, fluff away!

3drinks
2013-04-08, 04:22 PM
Attack of opportunity on the guy who falls.
[roll0]
[roll1] (one-handed)
[roll2] (threat confirm)
[roll3] (crit damage)

As for my action, five-foot adjustment to G6 (because I'm fly like a G6 like that) then full attack to blast the guy next to Jord?

Attacking as double weapon.
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8] (threat confirm swing 1)
[roll9] (threat confirm swing 2)
[roll10] (crit dmg swing 1)
[roll11] (crit dmg swing 2)

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-08, 05:28 PM
As the creature falls from the ceiling Soren stabs at it with his knife. The blow connects, but lacks real power. Great is the contrast with a mighty blow by Zirc, which pounds the creature senseless. Zirc follows up with an attack on the critter next to Jord, who suffers a fate similar to the other one.

Both creatures lie at your feet, unconscious. Combat ends, and as you smile in victory, you hear a deep growl much like that of a big dog. As a matter of fact, a rather big dog has sneaked up on you. It is a big dog, like a wolfshound, and it has brown fur covered in red and black spots. As it growls, it emits a scorching cone of fire from its mouth, which catches Zirc and Jord.

Both Zirc and Jord have to make a reflex safe.

Berend-Jan is up, before the monster gets to act again. Here is the MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dHc5OGhhdW5Ta293dXpkTzFwLURfU Xc&usp=sharing). The squares with the two unconscious creatures in it are now available.

Initiative order:
Berend-Jan
Monster
Soren
Zirc
Jord

Initiative rolls:

Initiative
Søren Va [roll0]
Jord Hrolfsson [roll1]
Berend Jan [roll2]
Zirc [roll3]
Monster [roll4]

J-H
2013-04-08, 06:23 PM
Jord shields his face and ducks out of the way as best he can.

Reflex save [roll0]

3drinks
2013-04-08, 07:46 PM
Zirc Reflex Save: [roll0]

Hellhound, eh? Cool.

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-09, 02:22 AM
The flames engulf both of you fully, and you both find yourself unable to find shelter fast enough. Both Zirc and Jord take 6 fire damage.

Berend-Jan is up

[roll0]
[roll1]

Phyzor
2013-04-09, 03:27 AM
What in the name of Moradin is this creature, a firespitting hound eh. Your days are over. Berend-Jan says moving up to the creature while taking out his axe, eager to draw some blood. In all the fights with this group he has not drawn any yet and he sure doesnt want to seem like a weakling. He is a dwarven fighter and wants to show that.

moving to H6, provoking an AoO, then swings his axe
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-09, 05:18 AM
The canine horror indeed takes the opportunity to bite Berend-Jan as he moves past him. He follows up, however, with an attempt to bite Zirc. Perhaps it has been watching the fight earlier and is it cunning enough to have identified Zirc as a major threat. Luckily for both the Orc and the Dwarf, his teeth prove not sharp enough to pierce their armours, though both feel a distinct heat when it shuts his jaw, which would have hurt had the bite connected.

Berend-Jan takes a swing at the hound and causes an ugly gash on its flank, and it reacts with a short, high-pitched yelp.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dHc5OGhhdW5Ta293dXpkTzFwLURfU Xc&usp=sharing)

Soren
Zirc
Jord and
Berend are up

DMRolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Phyzor
2013-04-09, 06:13 AM
Berend-Jan takes another swing at the beast. Watch out for his bite, it will burn!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

J-H
2013-04-09, 07:48 AM
Jord steps forward and brings his greatsword down in a vertical blow, striking at the creature as best as he can in the tight quarters.

5' step to G5.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit [roll2] [roll3]

3drinks
2013-04-09, 03:22 PM
Soren is before me, but since I am here I will leave my action here. Move 15 foot to I-5 (he's used an AoO, but not sure if it has Combat Reflexes, if so, I guess I'm eating one). Once there, the orc lets out a bellowing roar as he brings his huge axe down in one mighty blow!

Zirc, using the axe as a two-handed, single-headed weapon attacks the beast using his Power Attack feat.

[roll0] (+8 str, +1 Bless, +1 Masterwork, +2 Flanking bonus, +4 BAB, -4 Power Attack)
[roll1] damage
[roll2] (threat confirm)
[roll3] (crit damage)

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-09, 03:45 PM
The hound is peppered with attacks. While Jord's blow fails to pierce its tough hide, Zirc's and Berend's attacks prove more than enough to send the creature back to the depths it came from, meaning there's no reason for the mage to come in action. Actually, as it is slain, it disappears. Just like that.

Silence returns and as you explore the corridor further you find that it connects to a larger room. In the room, you see a glimpse of a large fountain with a statue. However, before you can take a good look, the room fills with a fog that makes it not only hard to see, but also makes you want to puke. It smells of things that had already gone bad went bad again. While the fog is not penetrating the corridor you are currently standing in, you smell enough of it to know that going into the room will have some repercussions.

A voice sounds from inside the room. You are not sure whether it is female, or a child's voice (or both), but it has a clear message. "You do not belong here. Go away."

MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dHc5OGhhdW5Ta293dXpkTzFwLURfU Xc&usp=sharing)

Jord, if you want to 'have healed up' between the slaying of the hound and arriving here, that's allright, just let me know and roll the dice.

Soren:
That's clearly a Stinking cloud effect. Quite debilitating.

DMRolls:
Spellcraft Soren [roll0]

3drinks
2013-04-09, 04:07 PM
"Ugh! What foul smell!" Zirc coughed in between sentences, "What is that in the distance? Some sculpture or statue?" Zirc's cough gets noticeably louder. "We must...get...to it." Zirc coughs more loudly, breathing heavier from the recent excitement.

artofregicide
2013-04-09, 04:17 PM
Søren ponders a moment, after he catches up from gutting the unconscious two aberrations down the hall with his scythe, which he still holds in hand.

"That is... "Stinking Cloud", a particularly pungent spell. Should you enter the area you will find yourself sickened and unable to move, unless you have incredibly constitution."

With further thought, he adds:

"I am not prepared to deal with this sort of magic. And I believe it is likely help in place by arcane power beyond my own knowledge. But rushing into it would be asking for calamity."

J-H
2013-04-09, 07:10 PM
Jord uses Detect Magic for a little while, and then asks, "Who're you, and why have your creatures been killing innocent miners? What is "here"?"

Spellcraft checks

This should be plenty.
Spellcraft [roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]
Spellcraft [roll2]
Spellcraft [roll3]
Spellcraft [roll4]
Spellcraft [roll5]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-10, 03:36 PM
Jord
The fog blocks your vision, which includes detect magic. The fog is a transmutation effect, but Soren had already told you what it is.

"We guard the home of our master. You are intruding. Go away."

OOC: I am keeping only loose track of this, but I just want to remind you that your buffs are still running and will run out at some point. Currently, one minute has passed since the buffs outside the hole have been cast.

3drinks
2013-04-10, 06:06 PM
If it's been one minute, then I guess that means Resistance has worn-off then.

Phyzor
2013-04-11, 02:40 AM
Who is this.. show yourself or I will come for you!. Berend-Jan speaks in a low intimidating voice.

DM
you can roll if its needed

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-11, 01:39 PM
"You are trespassing. Leave."

Then, a second voice sounds, which is similar in pitch. "What makes these people think they can intrude like that?"

"Shut up. Leave these grounds, tread forward and die."

Phyzor
2013-04-12, 02:24 AM
Turning to the group Berend-Jan asks Can any of you do something about this fog?
If not I'm going to see who's threatening us, I am not afraid of someone that is hiding behind a fog.

J-H
2013-04-16, 09:02 PM
"Do that if you want."

To the unseen speakers. "We killed your murderous guardians. You know they killed 3 innocent miners, right? You can either come out now and give account for your actions, or we can come back in a day or two to "talk" with some fireballs and air spells. Your choice."

Rolls for whatever.
Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]

artofregicide
2013-04-17, 03:49 PM
Søren watches the Dwarf is not particularly convincing in his lies about their power, but certainly makes a reasonable argument.

He tries to goad the enemy into approaching:

"If you choose to wait us out, we'll go back and bring a small army down on your heads. It only takes one of us to do so, and I happen to have a very fast messenger with wings. Your only hope of victory is fighting us, and we aren't going to go into your cloud..."

Dice:
Intimidate: [roll0] Bluff: [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-17, 04:09 PM
"We would not come out, even if we could. We are bound to guard this locale from intruders. Trespassers. That be you." A small silence ensues and the other voice sounds again: "Hell, yeah. Bring an army and kill us. We can go home and you have a problem with master Fi..."
"Shut! Up!"
"Whaaat? Who cares. We are bound to fight, we don't have to like it, eh?"
"Just shut up."
Again a small silence follows.

"Ahem....Anyway, you approach, we kill, you leave, you live. Also, be aware of the dog." As the voice says these last words, you hear a growl and a snarl behind you. A hellish dog like the one you slew before is behind you (and you are sure it was not there a second ago). It opens its mouth and breathes fire.

I need all of you to make a reflex safe.

Currently, 1.5 minutes has passed since buffing.

MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgBF08i13s81dHc5OGhhdW5Ta293dXpkTzFwLURfU Xc&usp=sharing)

Initiative order
Berend
Soren
Dog
Zirc
Jord

Berend and Soren are up!

DMrolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative
Søren Va [roll2]
Jord Hrolfsson [roll3]
Berend Jan [roll4]
Zirc [roll5]
Dog: [roll6]

artofregicide
2013-04-17, 04:17 PM
The Wizard darts away from the flames, all the more determined to slay whoever it is that is behind all this.

Rolls:
Reflex Save [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-17, 04:23 PM
You can make your round of actions (round 1) as well, Soren. That is, if there is something you want to do.

J-H
2013-04-17, 06:38 PM
Reflex save

[roll0]

3drinks
2013-04-17, 08:34 PM
Go figure, the thread gets moving the rare occasion that I am away from the computer. XD

Anyway, Reflex save.
[roll0]

Phyzor
2013-04-18, 02:54 AM
Abit surprised about the hound being behind them again he tries to avoid the firebreath

[roll0]

You again, die forgood fould beast!

I move to the closest space i can attack
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]

artofregicide
2013-04-18, 01:06 PM
Regardless of his opponent's burning breathe, the Wizard swings around and strikes back with his scythe, shouting:

"Blazes! Are there more of them, or did this one just come back from... wherever?"

Dice:
Melee Attack Scythe [roll0] (not a critical fail, he rolled 3 (-2) = 1
Scythe Damage [roll1]
Critical (20x4)

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-04-18, 03:27 PM
Except for Jord, everyone manages to find some cover from the fire. Everyone takes 3 fire damage, and Jord 6.

Berend-Jan moves back into the tunnel, allowing for the group to surround and flank the beast and conveniently positions him away from the flailing wizard, who dangerously swings his scythe, but without apparent aim. This movement opens his defense for an attack, which is followed up by yet another vicious bite. Berend-Jan again feels the power in its jaws and the heat in its breath twice, but so far his armor provides enough protection to fight this monster with confidence. Sadly, the powerful blow Berend-Jan aims at the hound makes contact, but also fails to penetrate its tough hide.

Zirc and Jord are up (and then Berend and Soren again) (post in random order, I will sort it later)

DMrolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

3drinks
2013-04-18, 05:02 PM
"Ach! This beast has such a prowess for the fire! I killed you once, I will do it again!" The big brute shouted in a crude Orcish diallect.

Zirc moves 10 foot to L6 and makes one mighty two-handed blow with that trusty, signature axe of his. Power Attack is involved.

[roll0] (+8 Str, +4 BAB, +2 Flanking Bonus +1 Bless, +1 Masterwork, -4 Power Attack)
[roll1] (+12 Str, +8 Two-Handed Power Attack)
[roll2] (threat confirm)
[roll3] (crit damage)

Assuming the foul beast is struck down by such a blow Zirc shouts "And stay dead! Next time I'll get angry!"

3drinks
2013-04-18, 05:03 PM
Aww. One away from scoring a critical hit (and 73, sheesh, what a crit it would have been).

J-H
2013-04-18, 05:59 PM
Jord moves forward and swings his sword as Zirc slides behind him.

Attack [roll0]
Dmg [roll1]
Crit [roll2] [roll3] Ok, so I have 9+8 to-hit (17) on the crit confirm, and the 2d6 result + 6 on crit damage