PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Best purchase for 1500gp

Mary Leathert
2013-02-07, 03:16 PM
Some restrictions:

-Must be PF Society legal
-Only one item
-The maximum amount is 1500 gp, it can be cheaper, but I won't get the rest of the money for myself if it is.
-I'm playing a paladin (level 5) with a mount.

I'm just trying to maximise my gain from this, and I'm not that familiar with the items available. I don't have any magic items except +1 weapon and +1 armor.

Blisstake
2013-02-07, 03:25 PM
The low amount limits your options a bit, especially if you're only buying one thing. If you're a shield user, a +1 shield is a nice and easy bonus. Your saves are probably already great, but an extra +1 from a Cloak of Resistance can't hurt.

And there's always the Brooch of Shielding if you hate magic missiles :smalltongue:

andromax
2013-02-07, 03:28 PM
I dunno what PF society is, but if you can use the MiC from 3.5 I'd definitely recommend Steadfast Boots.

tzar1990
2013-02-07, 03:33 PM
Some restrictions:

-Only one item
-The maximum amount is 1500 gp, it can be cheaper, but I won't get the rest of the money for myself if it is.

I'm just trying to maximise my gain from this, and I'm not that familiar with the items available. I don't have any magic items except +1 weapon and +1 armor.

Hmm... A Phylactery of Faithfulness (1000gp) is a decent minor investment for a paladin, since it lets you know before you do anything that might make you fall.

A Wand of CLW allows you to heal reliably more often, which can come in handy. You only really need one in the party.

If you're riding a horse, I believe that +1 Chain Shirt barding is around 1500gp, and that could help prevent your mount from dying.

javijuji
2013-02-07, 04:16 PM
Shapesand (100g) cheap version of Marvelous Pigmetns.

ericgrau
2013-02-07, 04:36 PM
Normally I'd spend such a small amount on 100 different miscellaneous trinkets but you are limited to only 1 item. I can't find any miscellaneous wondrous items that are all that special so I'll second a simple option: +1 cloak of resistance or +1 chain shirt barding.

If for some reason all your adventure paths always put you near rat infested areas, then pipes of the sewers might be handy as a backup when terrain prevents melee (rats climb and swim well). Much better than a longbow when it works, just tie it to a necklace and make the rats follow you everywhere. :smallbiggrin:

Morbis Meh
2013-02-07, 04:43 PM
Some restrictions:

-Only one item

Well a more important question is what magical gear do you have access to via chronicle sheets? Since you are limited in magic gear you cna buy this is an important piece of info

Invader
2013-02-07, 04:47 PM
Pound for pound the healing belt is probably the best item in the game aside from a few poorly worded/ruled items that you can abuse.

Anklets of translocation are also great at 1400gp.

Edit* Im not familiar with PF so I'm not sure if either of those items are kosher.

ericgrau
2013-02-07, 04:49 PM
Pathfinder Society means it's strictly Pathfinder material only. Pathfinder includes 3.5 SRD material with minor changes, plus its own splatbooks not connected with 3.5. No 3.5 splatbooks. www.d20pfsrd.com has lists of everything available.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-07, 05:09 PM
Some restrictions:

-Only one item

Masterwork Splint Mail or Breastplate Barding for your mount (1,400 GP)

Mary Leathert
2013-02-07, 05:43 PM
Society is the organized play campaign for Pathfinder. So nope, we can't really use anything that isn't actually Pathfinder material. So basically, everything that's mentioned here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources

The chainshirt barding would just go over the limit (400 gp for the barding, 150 gp for the masterwork cost and 1000 gp for the +1 bonus = 1550gp). And I just bought a normal chainshirt barding for it anyway.

The shield I might consider, as I'm going with the battleaxe+light shield combo (light mostly because it lets me hold my holy symbol and channel if need be).

I was also thinking about brooch of shielding or cloak of resistance. There haven't been that many casters using magic missiles. Even better resistances probably wouldn't hurt me, but then I would kind of lose one third of the benefit.
That is also the problem with wands, it would only give me half of the benefit.

Invader
2013-02-07, 05:53 PM
Society is the organized play campaign for Pathfinder. So nope, we can't really use anything that isn't actually Pathfinder material. So basically, everything that's mentioned here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources

The chainshirt barding would just go over the limit (400 gp for the barding, 150 gp for the masterwork cost and 1000 gp for the +1 bonus = 1550gp). And I just bought a normal chainshirt barding for it anyway.

The shield I might consider, as I'm going with the battleaxe+light shield combo (light mostly because it lets me hold my holy symbol and channel if need be).

I was also thinking about brooch of shielding or cloak of resistance. There haven't been that many casters using magic missiles. Even better resistances probably wouldn't hurt me, but then I would kind of lose one third of the benefit.
That is also the problem with wands, it would only give me half of the benefit.

Isn't the masterwork cost absorbed by the +1 cost?

ericgrau
2013-02-07, 06:20 PM
Nope you're thinking adamantine and mithril.

Mary Leathert
2013-02-07, 06:21 PM
I dunno about the masterwork thing, how they put it in the Guide to Society PDF, it says "+1 armor (1,000 gp + 150 for the masterwork armor cost+ item cost)", so that's what I'm going by.

Concerning what I can buy based on my chronicles, the boon that gives this thing says: "item is not restricted by your current Fame score, but must otherwise be an item you could purchase". I thought that as I have Fame 19, I can purchase stuff up to 5250gp without restrictions. Which would mean that this purchase is not limited in any case. If I am limited to the stuff on my chronicle sheets and always available things (the wording on this sheet is kinda unclear in my opinion), my options would be limited to (there is some cheaper stuff, but I'd like to stick to as close to the 1500 as I can):

Brooch of shielding
Cloak of Resistance +1
Cloak of elvenkind (it has a special discount or something, mostly useless for a paladin)
Bracers of armor +1 (same as above, useless for me)
+1 armor or shield with the base price of the item less than 350gp
Anything non-magical, if there is something that costs enough.

Invader
2013-02-07, 08:16 PM
Nope you're thinking adamantine and mithril.

Negative Batman, I know exactly what I was thinking of. :smallamused:

avr
2013-02-08, 12:12 AM
Muleback cords might be more useful than a +1 to something. If not that maybe some +1 arrows, or if you don't have a bow made to match your strength yet get that?

Sayt
2013-02-08, 09:24 AM
Weapons and armor need to be masterwork before they're made magic. Ergo, the enchantment cost is applied in addition to the cost of the masterwork weapon (300 for weapon, 150 for armor.)

OverdrivePrime
2013-02-08, 11:37 AM

If having your holy symbol and channeling are your concern, why not go with a +1 living steel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Living-steel) heavy shield (1,270 gp) and spend the remaining 130 gold on having a consecrated smith of your order incorporate a silver inlay of your holy symbol into the shield. It should only cost about a third that much, but you can emphasize the artistry of the smith's worth to create a truly beautiful green and silver shield that serves as a holy symbol.

Not sure if Pathfinder society allows working your holy symbol into your shield, but from a DM's perspective, it's a simple craft check and common sense.