PDA

View Full Version : Undead Minion Confusion.

D4saken1
2013-02-07, 05:40 PM
My friend asked me to help him roll up a necromancer. Which for this we picked the "Death Master" lvl 6.

Please no argument over Cleric or anything like that.

My confusion is how the minon creation is done.

He wanted a Ghoul (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ghoul)

So the bonus to add would be +2 HD +2 STR/DEX and a few abilities.

Now this is where my confusion starts. It would get benefits from his DM level -3 at that bracket for a 3rd level DM bonus. Meaning it adds his BAB & Saves? Or something else as well? like weapon prof and the like?

These are completly dominated creatures. So I assume you cannot give them class features unless you use.. the creature is not mindless...

I am confused to if it acts like an "Awaken Undead" was applied to the creature or not and if so how to figure out the appropriate scale since it's hit dice are modified based on the DM's lvl.

8wGremlin
2013-02-07, 11:08 PM
If he has a ghoul then he treat his Level as level -3 on the chart

So he would have a ghoul with Turn resistance +4

However if he kept his normal wolf skeleton or a zombie troglodyte, then it would get his level on the chart..

Turn resistance + 4
+2 HD
+2 str
+2 dex
Unholy Might

the undead type give the following

12-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to 1/2 total Hit Dice (as wizard).
Good Will saves.
Skill points equal to (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the undead creature has an Intelligence score. However, many undead are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

The Viscount
2013-02-08, 02:10 AM
All that means is you refer to the large chart for minion bonuses, like Str/Dex bonus, and treat the bonus as if the Death Master were 3 levels lower. The minion shouldn't gain any of Death Master's class features.

8wGremlin is correct.

8wGremlin
2013-02-08, 04:29 AM
Do note however that if you did take ghoul, and then levelled up to 8th level
your ghoul would get the

Turn resistance + 4
+2 HD
+2 str
+2 dex
Unholy Might

And he would gain a feat and the skill points, because it is intelligent, and would get 5 skill points per HD.

But you might like to look at getting in to Master of Shrouds, and having shadow minion. You would also have a weak undead minion as well,

Death Master 1, Cloistered Cleric 2, Master of shrouds + would be better

(note take them in this order, as it will get the most skill points.

Cloistered Cleric 1
Cloistered Cleric 2
Death Master 1