PDA

View Full Version : Robot Chicken: Calvin & Hobbes

theKOT
2006-11-08, 11:06 AM
This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zA64g3pi97M) is from the adult swim show called Robot chicken. It's a good parody of Calvin & Hobbes.

Deckmaster
2006-11-08, 11:35 AM
Wow.

Just...

Wow.

ElfLad
2006-11-08, 12:50 PM
Mars is amaaaaaazing...

theKOT
2006-11-08, 01:25 PM
Mars is amaaaaaazing...
Indeed it is.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-11-08, 06:32 PM
I like how ANGRY people on the Youtube comments board are.
"I hope Waterson sues!"

XD The man doesn't care about C&H anymore, he hasn't for 9 years.

Jarl
2006-11-08, 07:31 PM
I like how ANGRY people on the Youtube comments board are.
"I hope Waterson sues!"

This very much reminds me of that Calvin on ritalin thread from a while back.

-I searched and searched (that's at least two times that you know about!) but couldn't find the thread, so I gave up.

The Demented One
2006-11-08, 09:33 PM
Continued funniness from RC, but this one was a bit grim for me.

Om
2006-11-09, 04:29 AM
RC is always quality and this was no different. Brilliant.

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-09, 08:21 PM
Haha, yeah I saw this for the first time a couple days ago. I love the new Fix interface. AS needs to get more of its back catalogue up there on a permanent basis now (though then I guess nobody would buy their DVDs.)

The parody was funny, though my laughter was muted because Calvin & Hobbes was undoubtedly such a large part of my childhood. (And I doubt I'm alone in that.) The "Ritalin Strip" was even darker in its own way (because it's so close to our own world), but I love that one to death.

Holy_Knight
2006-11-11, 10:52 PM
You know what? The best description I can think of for that video is "piece of crap". Seriously, to take a meaningful work of art that thousands of people love, and denigrate it in that way is just terrible.

And to Alchemist Merlin: Watterson cares very much about Calvin&Hobbes. If you would read some of the things he's said about it, you'd see that that's true.

theKOT
2006-11-12, 12:23 AM
Wow HK, nice explosion there.

Listen, I have every Calvin&Hobbes strip ever made. I've read every one dozens of times. It expanded my imagination and is a treasured part of my childhood.

But I still found this funny? Yaknow why? I can laugh at the things I love and I don't take everything seriously. You need to relax.

Om
2006-11-12, 09:15 AM
You know what? The best description I can think of for that video is "piece of crap". Seriously, to take a meaningful work of art that thousands of people love, and denigrate it in that way is just terrible.
I fully agree. You know when the Giant occasionally pokes fun at the DnD rules? He should taught never to do it again. *Sniff* I love Gary Gygax and his work. How dare anyone mock it with crude looking stick figures! :smallfurious:

You get the absurdity of your statement now? Getting worked up over parody is pointless and wanders into the realm of the ridiculous when its a cartoon.

averagejoe
2006-11-12, 01:05 PM
Ow. My childhood...

I have to say, I'm against the video in principle, but still found it hilarious. Which makes it alright with me.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-11-12, 01:41 PM
I've always loved Calvin & Hobbes, it's been an integral part of my childhood and my life.

That said, I loved this video and the ritalin strip. I thought both were hilarious.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-14, 10:56 PM
Wasn't Hobbes like, twice Calvin's height? And didn't the stuffed version of Hobbes turn into a cool version in Calvin's head?

Anyways, I liked it (it's probably the closest thing we'll ever see to a C&H cartoon) but the WTF factor was distracting.

Sneak
2006-11-14, 11:21 PM
Meh, I didn't really like it. I did, however, like the Ritalin strip.

Calvin just seemed a little TOO homicidal psychopath-like.

Miles Invictus
2006-11-15, 02:35 AM
Calvin and Hobbes was my favorite comic when I was a kid...even today, I still think it's one of the best comics ever.

That said, this still made me giggle.

Holy_Knight
2006-11-16, 10:11 AM
Wow HK, nice explosion there.
Thanks, I do my best.

Listen, I have every Calvin&Hobbes strip ever made. I've read every one dozens of times. It expanded my imagination and is a treasured part of my childhood.

But I still found this funny? Yaknow why? I can laugh at the things I love and I don't take everything seriously. You need to relax.
Seriously though, I may have been in a bad mood when I posted that, but I stand by what I said for the most part. I have no problem with parodies in general, I just think this specific one was in poor taste.

I fully agree. You know when the Giant occasionally pokes fun at the DnD rules? He should taught never to do it again. *Sniff* I love Gary Gygax and his work. How dare anyone mock it with crude looking stick figures! :smallfurious:

You get the absurdity of your statement now? Getting worked up over parody is pointless and wanders into the realm of the ridiculous when its a cartoon.
The two things really aren't the same. For one thing, parodying the rules of a game is not the same as parodying a work of art. More importantly, the OoTS parodies D&D in a way which is consistent with the spirit of the game itself, and clearly stems fom an actual love of it. The Calvin & Hobbes parody doesn't exhibit that same quality, but runs contrary to the spirit of the strip and its message.

In any case, the general claim that it's always pointless to get worked up over parodies is implausible; depending on what is being parodied and how it's done, there are pretty clearly examples (hypothetical, if not actual) where one really ought to be outraged by it.

To be honest, I thought Sneak said it best:

Meh, I didn't really like it. I did, however, like the Ritalin strip.

Calvin just seemed a little TOO homicidal psychopath-like.
The ritalin strip had a genuine point, and didn't abuse what it parodied. The cartoon here seemed really to be just over-the-top shock value.

There, I'm back to my normal, non-explosive self again. :smallwink:

S'vreeem
2006-11-16, 10:56 AM
i am a fan of c&h, and a fan of robot chicken. when the two collid.....

awsomeness.

theKOT
2006-11-21, 12:33 AM
Well HK, Robot Chicken is always over-the-top. It's what they do. Just not your taste I guess.