PDA

View Full Version : Spells for Stormcasters: Evocations Wanted

Malrone
2013-02-08, 01:39 AM
As it stands, I'm looking to make up a fifth level character. The setting is 'high magic' and very Emerald Isles [the DM runs Green decks in M:TG]. I figured I would pick up a concept I've been leaning towards; Stormcaster has tickled my fancy for a while now, and I feel like it'd be something fun to play.

Plenty of details are in flux yet, as the DM is decidedly angling for a low-OP game, and will have to approve most features case-by-case. Raptoran is the easy first choice for race, and for the moment I'm feeling like a (racial variant) Sorceror to build into the PrC. What I really would like to iron out is the spell list. It needs to have flavor, it needs to have oomph, and it needs to not break the game. Hell, even I prefer my cheese on the dinner table rather than the game table. What kind of suggestions do people have for my repertoire?

Alternatively, how should I tackle the decision of Druid V Sorceror if Raptoran gets nixed? Wildshaping isn't in the concept for this guy. He's all about the raw power of the storm, not the ~nature~, and I'd like to keep irrelevant features to a minimum.

Remember: This is not a question for optimization, or for the Best Build (TM). Please do not remind me a Wizard does it better. Please do not throw a five class ability menagerie at me. And please, please don't criticize the DM.

Gildedragon
2013-02-08, 02:11 AM
I'd say check out the Spirit Shaman if it is a possibility, or the wildshapeless Druids. I prefer druid over sorcerer many times over; finding the latter to be wizard lite.
However, the sorcerer does get to pick from the pretty OK pool that is wizard/sorcerer spell list.

Personally I'd go with a Sha'ir with an air gen familiar if it were to be available. You get to make bargains with the raw elemental forces in change of spells. It also prevents your character from getting pidgeonholed into a couple of spells and situations.

Spells (from a sorcerous/arcane standpoint):
1st level
Endure Elements, Shocking Grasp/Thunderhead/Orb of Electricity, Obscuring Mist, Feather fall
2nd level you only get 2 known:
Whispering Wind and Sonic Weapon? Both strike me as quite flavorful
Alternatively Body of the Sun (re-skin to electric damage?) or Nauseating Cloud

Diovid
2013-02-08, 03:20 AM
You could go with something like sorcerer 6 / stormcaster 5 / elemental savant 9. Through the Energy Substitution feat (Complete Arcane) and the Elemental Savant prc (Complete Arcane) all your spells that deal energy damage deal electricity damage instead which increases your spell options quite a bit. Beg your dm for a slightly homebrewed version of the Searing Spell feat (Sandstorm) which works with electricity instead of fire. Another feat you might want to pick up is Born of the Three Thunders (Complete Arcane).

JaronK
2013-02-08, 03:55 AM
Wings of Flurry is the standard "blow stuff up" evocation, and it's Sorcerer only. Plus, it's kinda thematic for a winged character.

JaronK

Randomguy
2013-02-08, 08:08 AM
If you end up going druid, then I suggest the swift hunter variant. It swaps wildshape for favoured enemy, wis to AC unarmoured and monk speed. You'll have the speed of a raging storm. Go with a horse for your animal companion.

Stormlord (complete divine) might be a cool PrC for a storm focused druid. It's weaker than straight druid, but it's full casting so you won't fall behind the rest of the party.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-08, 08:02 PM
I really liked Moonbow from SpC for my Stormcaster. It's electric damage, and not only is the damage variable, the number of ranged touch attacks with it is as well, so it's an amazing spell to empower.

Then take the Acid Sheathe spell from the same book, energy sub it to electric, and you're doing bonus damage per die on electric spells. The damage can get pretty high, I think.

Born of the Three Thunders feat is hella fun if you can find a way to mitigate/ignore or quickly recover from the dazed effect. 3rd eye clarity item from MIC works 1/day; Quick Recovery feat lets you try to will save out of it as a move action but the DC will be very high; I found the BEST solution was an allied cleric w/ Close Wounds and Healing Lorecall. With enough ranks in the heal skill, healing lorecall lets him heal daze with any conj. (healing) spell. And Close Wounds is immediate action, low level, and ranged.

Malrone
2013-02-08, 08:23 PM
Wings of Flurry is an awesome spell. Only issue is how it's Force RAW, but the DM seems very willing to make adjustments on these things.

What is the book for Swift Hunter or Spirit Shaman? And is there 3.5 for Sha'ir? All I've found for it is 4e.

Stormlord seems like a more powerful choice, but its entry requirements are way restrictive. Elemental Savant is something I'm surprised I've not looked at before. I might make a blaster off of it later, but for now, it doesn't quite fit the character.

The Orbs spells do make a good choice, I think. Thunderhead (if it's the one I found from Eberron) had me laughing at the mental image. Feather Fall is a must if I end up not being a Raptoran. ...I had forgetton about the necessity of Endure Elements.

Malrone
2013-02-08, 08:28 PM
[Electric] Sheath and Moonbow are fantastic. Outside of my realm for now, but I'll keep them to the side.

JaronK
2013-02-08, 08:32 PM
Wings of Flurry is an awesome spell. Only issue is how it's Force RAW, but the DM seems very willing to make adjustments on these things.

It's actually so good that doesn't matter so much. Dazing enemies and doing uncapped 1d6 per level is amazing! So's the fact that you pick who it hits.

Also amazing is Boreal Wind, though you'd need Energy Substitution to make it work as an electrical spell. Talk about an area damage spell!

JaronK

Malrone
2013-02-08, 08:47 PM
You're not kidding about Boreal Wind. I've known about Wings of Flurry's might for a good while (one of the few books I do own in paper is Races of the Dragon), though where are you getting that targeting is selective?

JaronK
2013-02-08, 08:50 PM
Because it says targets within range, not all creatures within range. So you get to pick who it hits.

JaronK