PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 2: Find Harder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Yanisa
2014-03-31, 08:49 AM
Q915A:
If you have claws but wield a Two-Handed Axe, can you as a free action take one hand of the axe to make a claw attack?
Q915B:
Is there a non-FAQ-source on taking one hand off a two-handed weapon?

Spore
2014-03-31, 12:34 PM
Q916 Do Alchemists have a way (like the spell Read Magic) to deceipher magical writings without actually rolling on the high DC (20+Spell level) to just deceipher the spell? Or do I have to ruin several scrolls or risk the good mood of a friendly wizard to try to learn a spell for several hours or maybe days?

Keneth
2014-03-31, 02:56 PM
A915A No, once you've used a hand to attack, you can't use it for a different attack during that full attack action anymore. You can, however, release your grip to make an attack outside of the full attack action (attack of opportunity, hero point for another action, etc.).

A915B Not as far as I know. Why would you need one? PF FAQs are official rulings and fall under RAW.

A916 Unless you have a way to cast read magic, I don't believe so. How exactly could you manage to ruin a scroll?

Spore
2014-03-31, 04:07 PM
Due to how they managed it in Baldurs Gate 2, I was of the assumption that scrolls and the magic therein evaporates if you fail to copy the scroll.

Keneth
2014-03-31, 04:32 PM
Infinity games are mostly AD&D. In 1st and 2nd edition, learning spells from scrolls was a d% check based on Intelligence, with the magic presumably fading if you failed.

But there were a lot of user-unfriendly rules in AD&D. In PF, failing to decipher a scroll, or even failing to use it, does not expend it.

Nepenthe
2014-03-31, 08:59 PM
A916
An alchemist can also add formulae to his book just like a wizard adds spells to his spellbook, using the same costs and time requirements. An alchemist can study a wizard’s spellbook to learn any formula that is equivalent to a spell the spellbook contains. A wizard, however, cannot learn spells from a formula book. An alchemist does not need to decipher arcane writings before copying them. No checks necessary.

Keneth
2014-03-31, 09:29 PM
I've always assumed that applies to spellbooks, but I suppose scrolls would fall into the same category, even though alchemists can't use them.

Spore
2014-04-01, 03:33 AM
Just for copying anyway. I suppose they can draw the symbols (instead of reading and writing) but this doesn't explain how the alchemist instantly knows how to convert hieroglyphs into ingredients and magical components. Oh well. I suppose I'd start a fluff thread for that.

Q917 Other than the Golarion campaign trait and Drunken Brute barbarian archetype, are there ways to quicken the action of drinking a potion to a move action or free action?

Lord Lemming
2014-04-01, 10:25 AM
Q 918:

When you take the Leadership feat, is the Cohort (and by extension the followers) an NPC and under the complete control of the DM, or more akin to a familiar and under the Player's control? And if you have a Cohort, do you have to pay them for their services or is the point of Leadership that you get a free companion?

Q 919:

What tier is the Magus base class and why?

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Keneth
2014-04-01, 12:35 PM
A918 A cohort and all followers are NPCs. For that matter, so is your familiar, animal companion, summons, and just about every other creature that follows you around. By strict RAW, you don't get to control any of them.

And no, you don't necessarily have to pay your cohort or followers, but depending on the type of leader you are, you might want to.

A919 A magus is tier 3.

Tier 3: Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area. Occasionally has a mechanical ability that can solve an encounter, but this is relatively rare and easy to deal with. Challenging such a character takes some thought from the DM, but isn't too difficult. Will outshine any Tier 5s in the party much of the time.

hokorippoi
2014-04-01, 01:13 PM
Q920
Can you put more craw on a Siege Engine then the 'Crew' number?
I know putting less then the crew number doubles the time it takes to load, but I have not seen if you can put more then the crew number on them.
It confused me in that Large Siege Engines take longer to re-fire (reload and aim) then Huge Siege Engines; each with their full Crew.

Lord Lemming
2014-04-01, 05:05 PM
A918 A cohort and all followers are NPCs. For that matter, so is your familiar, animal companion, summons, and just about every other creature that follows you around. By strict RAW, you don't get to control any of them.

And no, you don't necessarily have to pay your cohort or followers, but depending on the type of leader you are, you might want to.

A919 A magus is tier 3.

Thanks for the help. :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2014-04-01, 07:35 PM
A 917 Not sure of the campaign trait but have you looked at Accelerated Drinker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/combat-traits/accelerated-drinker)? Also consider a Sipping Jacket (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/jacket-sipping).

Spore
2014-04-02, 05:14 PM
Thanks Cieyrin (also for your archetype list, tremendously helpful!)

Q921 Dispel Magic states that with an good dispel check spells with higher caster level will be banished first. Isn't it however the case that, say,a Bless and an Aid spell cast by a 3rd level Cleric both have 3rd level caster level? Which one gets dispelled first? Does Dispel Magic only dispel ONE spell or EVERY spell lower than the check?

Keneth
2014-04-02, 06:38 PM
A921 Roll randomly if the CL is the same. I've also seen it done as a priority list (e.g. last spell cast is the first spell to be dispelled), but that allows casters to cast cover spells.

Brawny
2014-04-05, 08:17 AM
As a summoner, if I summoned a Salt Mephit(http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/mephit/mephit-salt) and use its Dehydrate SU ability, how much water could I drain over its several minute duration? Is it reasonable to say I could drain an entire cavern of water?

Depa91
2014-04-05, 09:54 AM
Q922
Dragon Spirit Cincture from MIC95
Can my Character qualify for the DC bonus of +1 with a weapon affixed by an Energy Assault weapon augment crystal (MIC64)? Or i need, as an example, a flaming weapon?

Keneth
2014-04-05, 01:34 PM
A922 As long as the weapon is magical and it deals energy damage, it doesn't matter where the energy damage comes from, at least as far as RAW is concerned. But this question belongs in the 3.5 Q&A.

As a summoner, if I summoned a Salt Mephit(http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/mephit/mephit-salt) and use its Dehydrate SU ability, how much water could I drain over its several minute duration?

It's a once per day instantaneous ability. Even if you spent all your summons on mephits, you probably wouldn't be able to drain a cavern...

Brawny
2014-04-05, 02:33 PM
A922 As long as the weapon is magical and it deals energy damage, it doesn't matter where the energy damage comes from, at least as far as RAW is concerned. But this question belongs in the 3.5 Q&A.

It's a once per day instantaneous ability. Even if you spent all your summons on mephits, you probably wouldn't be able to drain a cavern...
Yea, I noticed that afterwards, my bad. Thanks for the answer regardless!

killem2
2014-04-05, 04:20 PM
Q 923: Does the Eye for talent apply to each animal companion a player may have?

Keneth
2014-04-05, 05:29 PM
A923 Yes, all animal companions gain the bonus.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-06, 07:02 PM
What is the cheapest item that improves concentration checks?

Keneth
2014-04-06, 08:48 PM
A924 One of the wayfinders' (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/wayfinder-standard) random resonant powers gives a bonus to concentration checks, which would theoretically set you back only 500 gp in combination with an ioun stone, but it's very specific. The next cheapest one would probably be a circlet of persuasion (4,500 gp), but only if your spellcasting is based on Charisma. After that it's a tunic of careful casting and spellguard bracers, the latter only for casting defensively, both costing you 5,000 gp. Then gloves of elvenkind (also for casting defensively) valued at 7,500 gp, closely followed by padma blossom at 8,000 gp.

I'm not sure if there's any mundane items for concentration bonuses. Probably not.

Lord Lemming
2014-04-06, 11:50 PM
Q925

Can I add a template to my character when I first create them, and if so, do I take a hit to my starting level to compensate? For instance, the half-celestial template says that it boosts the CL of the base creature by 1. Does that mean that if the party is lvl 5 when I draw up my half-celestial character, that he starts at lvl 4? Considering the huge bonuses provided by the template, that doesn't seem anywhere near balanced.

Keneth
2014-04-07, 07:57 AM
A925 No, templates are not yours to take, only a GM can give it to you. And no, there is no level adjustment in Pathfinder. If the GM decides to give you a template, it's also their job to keep things balanced without punishing you for it.

Platymus Pus
2014-04-08, 12:01 AM
Q926
What are the best ways to increase base movement speed with items/magic items and feats by a constant amount?
Q927
What is the best way to increase dex and wis with items/magic items by a constant amount?

Ravens_cry
2014-04-08, 03:12 AM
Q928 Do Fury's Fall and Agile Manuevers stack? That is, do you get your Dex added twice?

Keneth
2014-04-08, 08:30 AM
A928 No. There are some semantical arguments as to why they could (or should), but the official stance is that ability bonuses are treated each as a special bonus type which doesn't stack with itself.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-08, 04:50 PM
A928 No. There are some semantical arguments as to why they could (or should), but the official stance is that ability bonuses are treated each as a special bonus type which doesn't stack with itself.
Can I get a source on that? Fury's Fall is a pretty useless feat then.

Keneth
2014-04-08, 05:08 PM
Can I get a source on that? Fury's Fall is a pretty useless feat then.

Here are a couple of posts from JJ on the matter, albeit for Weapon Finesse and Fury's Fall, which is essentially the same issue: Post #1 (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=386?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#19274), post #2 (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l7ns&page=444?Ask-James-Jacobs-ALL-your-Questions-Here#22160).

This has been FAQ'd on the Paizo forums several times, always with the "no reply required" response from the staff. As far as they're concerned, it's RAW that ability bonuses can only be added once to anything. And it makes sense.

As for Fury's Fall, the feat is clearly intended to be used by characters with both a high Strength and Dexterity, it even says so in the flavor text.

Killer Angel
2014-04-10, 06:46 AM
I know it may be stupid, but...

Q929
The feat Master Craftsman is not sufficient, by itself, to create magic items, right? it serves only as a prerequisites for non casters, to take the feat Craft magic arms and armors / wondrous items?

Q930
When i create a magic item as a Master Craftsman, my rank in the related skill, is treated as my "caster level". Does this mean that my total bonus for the related skill is irrilevant for the magical item creation?

Keneth
2014-04-10, 11:17 AM
A929 Correct, in addition to providing you with an effective caster level and a +2 bonus on the chosen skill.

A930 Your total bonus still determines the success of the crafting, ranks merely satisfy any CL requirements.

Killer Angel
2014-04-11, 07:52 AM
A929 Correct, in addition to providing you with an effective caster level and a +2 bonus on the chosen skill.

A930 Your total bonus still determines the success of the crafting, ranks merely satisfy any CL requirements.

mmm... at this point:

Q931
Premise: A caster, with the appropriate item creation feat, makes a single skill check (he can choose, so it's usually Spellcraft) to finish the item. So, with Create Wondrous Items, the caster can basically create any one woundrous item. A non caster, with Master Craftsman (jewelry) and Craft Wondrous Items, can obviously create a Necklace of adaptation (wit increased DC for any lack of prerequisites).
The Real Question: A non caster, with Master Craftsman (jewelry) and Craft Wondrous Items, can create something that is not a piece of jewelry, for example a Cape of the Mountebank?

Yanisa
2014-04-11, 08:09 AM
A931

This sounds stupid... but...

Nothing in the Master Craftsman feats specifics that the chosen craft or profession skill must be related to the magic item you want to create.
Someone with Profession [Basket-weaving] and the Master Craftsman feat qualifies for Craft Magic Arms and Armor and can use that feat to make magical shields, for example.

Edit:
You learn something new every day. Today I learned that somewhere hidden in the rules they specify which skills you can use for creating an item.
Magic Armor > Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or Craft (armor).
Magic Weapons > Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft, Craft (bows) (for magic bows and arrows), or Craft (weapons) (for all other weapons).
Wondrous items > Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or an applicable Craft or Profession skill check.
Which means wondrous items already deal with some heavy DM interpretation.

But that will not change my answer, because I like to argue semantics on this one.

The feats states:
You must use the chosen skill for the check to create the item.
It doesn't say you "must be able to use". And still like my answer nowhere in the feat is stated your skill must match the item in the question.
Instead it flat out demands you to use the chosen skill.

But if you take the more logical interpretation and say that the skill must match the magic item, then you can always apply the +5 penalty for lacking a crafting prerequisite.

Keneth
2014-04-11, 08:30 AM
A931 No. While nothing in the feat strictly prohibits you from qualifying with a non-related skill, the magic item crafting rules are specific.

You must use the chosen skill for the check to create the item.

Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or an applicable Craft or Profession skill check.
So unless the chosen skill is applicable, you cannot use it to craft the item. If you used Profession (underwater basket weaving) to qualify for the feats, you'll only be able to craft baskets.

Killer Angel
2014-04-11, 09:14 AM
A931 No. While nothing in the feat strictly prohibits you from qualifying with a non-related skill, the magic item crafting rules are specific.

So unless the chosen skill is applicable, you cannot use it to craft the item. If you used Profession (underwater basket weaving) to qualify for the feats, you'll only be able to craft baskets.

Q931 bis
I can see that, but:

The DC to create a magic item increases by +5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory.
The only mandatory prerequisite is the item creation feat. Does this means that, with my Profession (underwater basket weaving) and Craft Wondrous Item, I can create a magical belt with a +5 to the DC for the lack of a prerequisite (the appropriate skill)?

Keneth
2014-04-11, 05:34 PM
A931+ No, the skill is not a crafting prerequisite, it's what you use to craft the item. If you don't use the right skill, you can't craft the item. Period.

CockroachTeaParty
2014-04-11, 10:17 PM
Q932

A creature has Flyby Attack. During their movement, they use their standard action as part of a fly-by attack to initiate a grapple (normal, Snatch, or improved grab would all server in this instance). Does the creature then stop moving? Can they keep moving as part of the fly-by attack? What should happen?

Keneth
2014-04-11, 10:43 PM
A932 If it grapples the target normally, it too gains the grappled condition, which prevents it from moving, so they come to a halt.

If, however, it uses Snatch or has the grab special ability, the creature can choose to take a -20 penalty on its CMB in order to not gain the grappled condition. In that case it can keep moving, carrying the target with it.

Aergoth
2014-04-12, 02:50 PM
Q933 Is there a way for a character (an ifrit in this case) to increase natural energy resistance? Energy resistance from other sources doesn't stack as far as I know and I could have sworn there was a way to increase that with a feat.

gr8artist
2014-04-13, 01:05 AM
That should be 933 above me, right?

Q 934: What's the name of the spell that allows you to throw a weapon to make an attack with it against every creature in a 60 ft. line? I can't seem to find it.

Cieyrin
2014-04-13, 08:35 AM
A 933 I know there's a trait that increases energy resistance but I can't recall where it's from, though I think it was Tiefling or Aasimar related.

A 934 That's because Whirling Blade is a 3.5 spell from the Spell Compendium (and probably something earlier).

Yanisa
2014-04-13, 08:53 AM
A 933 Unscathed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/unscathed): Increases Energy Resistance by two points. Trait, no prerequisites. (Found thanks to Cieyrin. I did check feats, but not traits.)

Tieflings also get the Darksire Amulet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/darksire-amulet), which adds another +5 to any natural resistance they might have.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-13, 04:51 PM
What are some good 1st- or 2nd-level arcane spells that deal fire damage? Everything I've found so far basically deals damage comparable to a longsword, save for half, whereas other elements (e.g. Shocking Grasp) can do quite a bit more. Am I missing something or is fire just not a good element in low-level PF?

Keneth
2014-04-13, 09:32 PM
A935 Burning hands is actually quite decent with the right setup. As is scorching ray when you get 2nd level spells (or burning arc if you prefer to target saves rather than AC). Burning gaze is sweet if you combine it with Dazing Spell and cast it on your familiar (or even if you cast it normally, just to give your familiar something to do). Flaming sphere has its uses, but as a general offensive spell, you can probably skip it. Fiery shuriken might get in handy with metamagics at later level, but otherwise it's in the same boat as flaming sphere.

Other than that, you can always try to research your own spell. Pretty much any GM should allow you to research flaming grasp which would be strictly worse than shocking grasp anyway (fire resistance is more common and you don't get a +3 to attack vs metal). In fact, spell research should be an invaluable tool for any spellcaster (assuming you have a reasonable GM).

Cieyrin
2014-04-14, 06:33 AM
A 933 Unscathed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/unscathed): Increases Energy Resistance by two points. Trait, no prerequisites. (Found thanks to Cieyrin. I did check feats, but not traits.)

Ah, that's where it's from! I knew I'd seen it somewhere. :smallsmile:

Kurald Galain
2014-04-14, 09:35 AM
A935 Burning hands is actually quite decent with the right setup.
Thanks, but what setup are you referring to?

Master of Doink
2014-04-14, 09:42 AM
Q 936 What exactly is CR and how do you calculate it? (pathfinder)

Yanisa
2014-04-14, 10:02 AM
A 936

Challenge Rating (or CR) is a convenient number used to indicate the relative danger presented by a monster, trap, hazard, or other encounter—the higher the CR, the more dangerous the encounter. Read more. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering#TOC-Step-2-Determine-Challenge-Rating-CR-)

Calculating CR is a different beast, luckily most traps, monsters and hazards tend to have a CR listed. No calculating is needed unless you build your own traps or monsters, and even then you are better off referring existing material. Also see here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering#TOC-Step-3-Build-the-Encounter), for more tips.

Blackjackg
2014-04-14, 03:24 PM
Q937: Looking for confirmation: A magic item that casts Shield at caster level 1 an unlimited number of times per day costs only 1800 gp plus the cost of the base item? I'm double checking because that seems pretty cheap, and I want to make sure I'm not missing any cost multipliers anywhere.

Yanisa
2014-04-14, 04:10 PM
A937
It's slightly more expensive. Not sure how you got 1800 GP, but the rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Gold-Piece-Values) suggest this:
The full cost is 1 (spell level) X 1 (caster level) X 2000 (base price) X 2 (1 minute/level) = 4000 GP. Still pretty cheap +4 shield armor. Mage armor, being a 1 hour/level spell would result in a 2000 GP cost.

But also remember these prices are guidelines, and the rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Gold-Piece-Values) already has a example explaining why this shouldn't work.

Example: Patrick's wizard wants to create bracers with a continuous mage armor ability, granting the wearer a +4 armor bonus to AC. The formula indicates this would cost 2,000 gp (spell level 1, caster level 1). Jessica reminds him that bracers of armor +4 are priced at 16,000 gp and Patrick's bracers should have that price as well.

Same applies to the shield spell, 16,000 gp is more in line with other armor effects.

Blackjackg
2014-04-14, 04:26 PM
C937

Sorry, I was unclear in my question-- I actually meant command word activation rather than continuous, which is listed as Spell Level x Caster Level x 1800 and doesn't use the same cost-multiplier-by-duration statistics.

In any case, the other part of your response was very helpful. Common sense rule: If it seems too powerful for the cost, it probably is. I think I'll give it a limited number of uses per day to make it a little better balanced.

Yanisa
2014-04-14, 04:44 PM
A937 expended
I see, in that case it would be 1800 GP by strict use of the pricing.
I didn't even know command words could be unlimited. I thought you get the duration (modified by caster level) of the original spell, once per day (which leads to once a day a shield for 1 minute). But the common sense line suggests otherwise:

Most of these loopholes stem from trying to get unlimited uses per day of a spell effect from the "command word" or "use-activated or continuous" lines of Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.

There might be some other modifier we both are missing. :smalltongue:

Keneth
2014-04-14, 10:13 PM
Thanks, but what setup are you referring to?

A human cross-blooded sorcerer with a high Charisma score focusing on fire spells and using Spell Specialization could start out with 3d4+6 damage in a 15-foot cone at 1st level.

It's nothing spectacular, but it's decent damage to start with. Later on you can get Varisian Tattoo for another +1 to CL, and you can switch Spell Specialization to stronger spells.

Spore
2014-04-15, 06:15 AM
A937 expended
I see, in that case it would be 1800 GP by strict use of the pricing.
I didn't even know command words could be unlimited. I thought you get the duration (modified by caster level) of the original spell, once per day (which leads to once a day a shield for 1 minute). But the common sense line suggests otherwise:

There might be some other modifier we both are missing. :smalltongue:

Nah. It's this CL 1, so it is active for 10 minutes at a time (takes an action in combat), 1.800 GP is quite expensive in the first ten levels and the bonus doesn't stack with actual shields.

Yanisa
2014-04-15, 11:54 AM
1800 GP for a shield spell once per day is probably seems a lot more reasonable then unlimited uses per day. But the "Command word magic item" doesn't seem to have any limits on the use... Wait let's change this into a question:

Q938
Are the any rules, guidelines or official advice on making costume "command word" magic items in regards to uses per day or limits of the item?

Q938B
Failing that, can someone find me a couple of magic items with use a command word that mostly or only use a single spell? For comparison. (For some reason those are hard to Google.)

Keneth
2014-04-15, 03:02 PM
A938 Command word items are not limited by default. A command word item with at will shield (CL 1st) does cost only 1,800 gp, and that's a really inefficient item to be honest. Ring of force shield is much better, even if the bonus is lower, and the price is accordingly higher. A command word item with per day charges costs: spell level * caster level * 1,800 gp * number of charges / 5. So an item which can produce shield on command once per day would only set you back 360 gp. If you gave it a class requirement and used magic points to craft it, it would theoretically only cost 63 gp to make one, although magic is 100g a pop, so you can't really go below 2 magic points unless you crafted them in bulk or something. :smallbiggrin:

This is why these sections are guidelines and not hard rules. Custom item crafting gets out of hand really fast.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-16, 08:57 AM
The precocious spellcaster trait lets you pick a cantrip (and a L1 spell) and add one to your caster level. Are there any cantrips for which this makes a difference other than in spell range? As far as I can tell, the only level-dependent attribute cantrips have is their range.

Yanisa
2014-04-16, 09:24 AM
A939
There are a couple of cantrips with duration and a few with a target that increases per level. 14 in total. (I wanted to name Create Water too, but that is a orison.)

Target:
Mending -> Targets one object of up to 1 lb./level
Message -> Targets one creature/level
Putrefy Food and Drink -> Targets 1 cu. ft./level of food and water or one potion; see text

Duration:
Chameleon Scales -> Duration 10 minutes/level
Detect Magic -> Duration concentration, up to 1 min./level
Ghost Sound -> Duration 1 round/level
Haunted Fey Aspect -> Duration 1 round/level (D)
Light -> Duration 10 min./level
Lullaby -> Duration concentration + 1 round/level
Message -> Duration 10 min./level
Penumbra -> Duration 10 minutes/level (D)
Read Magic -> Duration 10 min./level
Summon Instrument -> Duration 1 min./level
Touch of Fatigue -> Duration 1 round/level

Kurald Galain
2014-04-16, 09:35 AM
A939
There are a couple of cantrips with duration and a few with a target that increases per level. 14 in total. (I wanted to name Create Water too, but that is a orison.)
Awesome, thanks.

MrNobody
2014-04-16, 04:16 PM
Q940
Let's say i have a vicious weapon (+2d6 damage). I can add merciful, and that gives me an extra 1d6.
All the damage, though, becomes nonlethal.
Can i add the deadly ability to have a total of +3d6 damage, all lethal?

GreenZ
2014-04-16, 05:53 PM
A940

This special ability can only be placed on melee weapons that normally deal nonlethal damage, such as whips and saps.

Giving a weapon Merciful does not mean that the weapon 'normally deals non-lethal damage' as you are magically making it deal non-lethal damage. But, Merciful does not stop you from placing it on normally non-lethal weapons... so you could, by RAW, have a Merciful, Deadly Sap but not a Merciful, Deadly Longsword.

Mellack
2014-04-16, 09:00 PM
Q941

The storm druid gets the power Stormvoice which says At 3rd level, a storm druid’s voice can magically carry over howling winds and peals of thunder. Whenever a Perception check is needed to hear the druid’s voice, the DC is reduced by an amount equal to the druid’s level.
Hurricane and above winds make sound based perception checks "impossible". I take it that stormvoice does nothing if you are at that level of winds?

Yomega
2014-04-16, 11:33 PM
Q941

The storm druid gets the power Stormvoice which says At 3rd level, a storm druid’s voice can magically carry over howling winds and peals of thunder. Whenever a Perception check is needed to hear the druid’s voice, the DC is reduced by an amount equal to the druid’s level.
Hurricane and above winds make sound based perception checks "impossible". I take it that stormvoice does nothing if you are at that level of winds?

A 941
Flavor text has no rules weight so you are easier to hear in general however powerful winds are still too overpowering.

Q 942
Can a sorcerer with the words of power alternate magic subsystem take the expanded arcana feat to pick up a few normal spells?

Keneth
2014-04-17, 03:10 AM
A942 Yes, they can.

Da'Shain
2014-04-17, 10:40 AM
Q 943

I seem to remember that a creature attempting to grapple may make the check at a -20 and avoid gaining the grappled condition itself. However I can find no mention of that in the PFSRD, and I'm starting to think I must've seen it in a 3rd party book. Simple question, is that a rule, and if so, where is it located?

Yanisa
2014-04-17, 11:19 AM
A943

It is part of the Grab (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Grab-Ex-) Rules, not to be confused with the Grapple Rules.

The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on its CMB check to make and maintain the grapple, but does not gain the grappled condition itself.

Yomega
2014-04-17, 10:52 PM
A942 Yes, they can. Any referance to where this is said in so many words? Thanks tho =)

Keneth
2014-04-18, 12:11 AM
Any referance to where this is said in so many words? Thanks tho =)

There's nothing preventing you from doing so. In fact, it's actually stated in several locations that you can gain normal spells by other means.

A character who elects to be a wordcaster in a spellcasting class typically cannot use the spells of that class (though there are feats that allow a wordcaster to learn and use a limited number of spells; see Word Caster Feats), but he can utilize spell trigger and spell completion items just as if he were an ordinary spellcaster of that class.

So getting spells via feats should be okay. The last sentence clearly implies that their actual class spell list doesn't change (since they can use spell trigger/completion items), they just don't have access to it when leveling.

If you look at the Class-Specific Rules section, you'll also see that wordcasters gain normal spells via class features, so it's not like this is some exploit.

zimmerwald1915
2014-04-18, 03:27 PM
Q944 Can a character with a flight speed, i.e., an aasimar with a variant racial ability, a strix, or a sylph with the Airy Step and Wings of Air feats, fly while wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load? The only limitation I can find on flying while armored is that flying mounts cannot fly in medium or heavy barding. Does this translate to characters?

Yanisa
2014-04-18, 04:13 PM
A944
While this was true in 3.5, it seems to be removed in pathfinder (PF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Flight-Ex-or-Su-) vs 3.5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly)). Most likely because the fly skill check (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/fly) takes armor check penalties.
(Also note that some people say the speed reduction of armor is generic and not just for ground speed, so it could apply to fly speed as well. But I cannot confirm this so I leave it here as a side note, maybe someone else can find a source confirming or denying this.)

The flying mounts seems to be specific thing for mounts. So specially that it seems as soon as the creature isn't being used as a mount, it can wear heavy barding and fly away from it's cruel flight impeding master.

Beside that, many ways of gaining flight speed do include some penalty from wearing/having a medium or heavy armor/load but natural born flight does not, general speaking.
For example: Wings of Air (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/wings-of-air-sylph) even states that "You may only fly with this ability when wearing light armor or no armor." (And of course the fly spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fly)) But many flying creatures just get a plain flight speed, no strings attached.

Keneth
2014-04-18, 04:34 PM
A944+ As Yanisa said, there's no limitations on armor worn. And yes, armor does reduce your movement speeds, whether it's land speed, fly speed, or swim speed.

As for mounts, the barding only affects them when they're acting as mounts. They can wear heavy barding and still fly, just not as long as they're carrying a rider.

GM note: This all gets very confusing in actual gameplay. I would highly suggest just ignoring the whole bit about mounts not being able to fly with armor and simply minding their load.

powerdemon
2014-04-18, 04:43 PM
Q 945
What options exist for a Druid for armor? I know of Padded, Hide, Leather, and wood armors. 3.5 was also very specific about which armors could be made of Dragonhide, but I'm not seeing anything like that in PF.

Q 946
Is there a way for a Magus to use another ability score besides Int as his casting stat?

Q947
Are there any divine casters that use (or can use) Int as their primary spellcasting stat?
I know Sorcerers can get Int or Wis, so I'm hoping there is an equivalent out there.

Dude_Here
2014-04-18, 05:48 PM
Q948

If a character has the Cleave feat can he use it to
make an attack of opportunity?

FabulousFizban
2014-04-18, 10:17 PM
A945

generally speaking dragon hide is going to be your best bet, I know it goes up to breastplate, not sure about fullplate, but a strong case can be made for it. I would also take a look at the lamellar eastern armors, they're pretty good.

powerdemon
2014-04-18, 10:21 PM
A945

generally speaking dragon hide is going to be your best bet, I know it goes up to breastplate, not sure about fullplate, but a strong case can be made for it. I would also take a look at the lamellar eastern armors, they're pretty good.

I know 3.5 went up to Fullplate, I'm just concerned about it not being spelled out in PF. (Thanks for the reply)

Keneth
2014-04-18, 10:26 PM
A948 No. Cleave is a standard action in Pathfinder. You can use Cleaving Finish though.

Yanisa
2014-04-19, 01:44 AM
A945 extended

Dragon Hide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Dragonhide), according the dragon slayers handbook, can be worked into a full plate.

One dragon produces enough hide for a single suit of masterwork hide armor for a creature one size category smaller than the dragon. By selecting only choice scales and bits of hide, an armorsmith can produce one suit of masterwork banded mail for a creature two sizes smaller, one suit of masterwork half-plate for a creature three sizes smaller, or one masterwork breastplate or suit of full plate for a creature four sizes smaller.

You do need need to kill a Colossal Dragon for a medium armor, or a Gargantuan for a small armor.

powerdemon
2014-04-19, 01:52 AM
A945 extended

Dragon Hide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Dragonhide), according the dragon slayers handbook, can be worked into a full plate.

You do need need to kill a Colossal Dragon for a medium armor, or a Gargantuan for a small armor.

Do you mean then that the price assumes you provide the materials?

Yanisa
2014-04-19, 02:22 AM
Do you mean then that the price assumes you provide the materials?
Pardon me, I am used to low dragon campaigns where there is no trade in any dragon related stuff, so I am forced to find and craft it myself. Sorry for the confusion.

If your DM allows trade in dragon hide, the costs are just double masterwork armor (or 3300 GP for fullplate). (Which is really cheap considering someone had to slain a Great Wyrm just to get a piece of dragon hide large enough, but rules > fluff)

Cieyrin
2014-04-19, 09:38 AM
I know 3.5 went up to Fullplate, I'm just concerned about it not being spelled out in PF. (Thanks for the reply)

There is also Stone Plate, which is specifically called out as being designed with Dwarven Druids in mind. It's in UE and ISWG. Work just like normal full plate except made of stone, weighs 1.5 times as much as regular plate and slows movement more than other heavy armor.

Blackjackg
2014-04-19, 12:55 PM
Q949

When calculating attack bonus for a multiclass Monk's Flurry of Blows, do you include BAB from other classes, or is it based solely on your Monk level?

Yanisa
2014-04-19, 01:56 PM
A949
You do include BaB from other classes.
Basically for calculating flurry it is Monk Level + BaB from other classes.

Also see the FAQ here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9naz).

Blackjackg
2014-04-19, 02:58 PM
Thank you Yanisa. That FAQ is also very useful.

One more...

Q950:

Does the Terrain Bond feature of the Guide ranger archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/guide) apply to Favored Terrains gained from other classes (specifically the Horizon Walker PrC)?

Soarel
2014-04-19, 03:01 PM
Q951:

Are we allowed to ask fluff questions?

Q952:

If we are allowed to ask fluff questions, what are the oldest beings in the Pathfinder cosmology? The gods? The qlippoth? Rovagug? The proteans?

necroon
2014-04-19, 04:38 PM
Q953
Is there a limit to how much in the negatives a character or monster's Hit Points can go?
I have had this debated in a few groups but cannot seem to find any rules backing in the Pathfinder system: I have seen the argument had more in 3.5, however.

powerdemon
2014-04-19, 04:42 PM
Q953
Is there a limit to how much in the negatives a character or monster's Hit Points can go?
I have had this debated in a few groups but cannot seem to find any rules backing in the Pathfinder system: I have seen the argument had more in 3.5, however.

A 953
They go into the negatives until they reach their CON score in negative hit points. Then they are dead.

Keneth
2014-04-19, 04:57 PM
A950 Yes. It doesn't matter where you get the favored terrain feature from.

A951 Sure, but fluff questions are usually not simple (see below), so you might want to consider making a new thread instead.

A952 It actually depends on what origin story you choose to run with, but there is no definite answer for that.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the history as described in the Book of the Damned. It states that in the beginning there was the Seal in the midst of nothingness, and no one can really attest from whence it came. The Seal begat two children, the oldest beings in the universe you could say. They were Ihys and Asmodeus, who went to create all others and, indeed, the universe itself as we know it now. One was a compassionate being who supported chaos and freedom, and the other an entity of cold law and strict rules. As you would expect, Ihys and Asmodeus eventually came to blows as they could not decide on how to handle the universe. Ihys wanted it to evolve on its own, give the lesser beings the freedom to live in their own right, and Asmodeus wanted it to conform to his perfect will. Asmodeus struck Ihys down, but in his loss, he decided to leave the universe as it was, allowing Sarenrae—Ihys's right hand—and the other lesser gods to do with it as they please. He knew that such chaotic existence would eventually come back to nothingness, and at that point he would spark it anew in his own image.

A953+ No limit is specified. Presumably, at some point the body gets destroyed, but there are no rules for how many hit points a creature's dead body has.

magotter
2014-04-19, 06:23 PM
Q954
Does a target struck by a piece of ammo infused with a Grenadier's Alchemical Weapon Ability (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/grenadier) still get a save against the effect of the Alchemical Substance?
Ex: Grenadier infuses an arrow with Ghast Retch Jar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/alchemical-weapons#TOC-Ghast-Retch-Flask) and strikes a target. Does the target still get to make a Fort Save to avoid the Nauseated condition?

Keneth
2014-04-19, 06:56 PM
A954 Yes, the effect remains the same, the only thing that changes is the method of application.

Cieyrin
2014-04-20, 08:39 AM
Q 955 Is Master Craftsman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final) sufficient to get Craft Construct (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/craft-construct-item-creation), as you can get both prerequisite feats via Master Craftsman? Thinking the Gepetto scenario. :smallwink:

Yanisa
2014-04-20, 08:52 AM
A955
Well, the feat specially says that your skill ranks only count as caster level for the feats Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item. Not any other feats. So you won't meet the 5th caster level for Craft Construct.

But that is a harsh reading and Craft Construct was published later then Master Craftsman, so Master Craftsman could never include Craft Construct in it's description.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-20, 02:56 PM
Q 956

I'm looking for an attack that sets the enemy on fire if it hits, or a spell that sets an enemy on fire if he fails his save. Does an item or spell exist that allows this at around level five?

Yanisa
2014-04-20, 03:40 PM
A956

Attacks, I don't know, maybe someone else does. Does pushing enemies in bonfire count? :smalltongue:

Spells are plentiful though.
The most fitting to your requirements is Spontaneous Immolation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spontaneous-immolation). One save, accessible at level 3.

Blistering Invective (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blistering) (Level 3, Requires an intimidate and a save, also Bard, Inquisitor and Alchemist only, but area of effect)
Burning Gaze (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burning-gaze) (Level 3,Requires 2 saves but multiple attempts)
Elemental Touch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/elemental-touch) (Level 3,Melee Touch Attack, no save and multiple attempts)
Spark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/spark) (Level 1, Cantrip; Items only)
Touch of Combustion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/touch-of-combustion) - (Racial spell for Ifrits! But Level 1 although a Melee Touch Attack and Save)

Yomega
2014-04-21, 01:54 AM
A956 addition
The Ignition weapon special ability sets people on fire on a crit

Q957

Is there any way to get either skill focus or a meta magic feat through a rouge trick?

Yanisa
2014-04-21, 03:04 AM
A957
Well there is an advanced talent named Feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-advanced-talents/feat) that gives a bonus feat..., but I don't think that is the answer you are looking for...

Besides that no, Rogue Talents dealing with feats are combat focused.

Spore
2014-04-21, 04:23 AM
A957 addendum If you use the retraining rules from Ultimate Campaign, retrain a regular combat feat to your feat of choice and pick the feat back up via Combat Trick.

Yanisa
2014-04-21, 02:57 PM
Q958
Is there any way in pathfinder to prevent getting hit when an enemy rolls a natural 20? (Preferable an option that is accessible to a mundane (Monk) character in the form of a feat or magic item.)

P.S. I don't need critical hit damage protection, like fortification, as the rolls hardly get confirmed. I am just annoyed at getting hit a lot because of natural 20s even though I got insane high AC.

Spore
2014-04-21, 03:09 PM
A958 Other than forced reroll I do not know. Ki Mystic does that or 1 level in Dual Cursed Oracle.

gr8artist
2014-04-22, 12:39 PM
Q 959: Isn't there a spell that summons a specific weapon to you? I can't seem to find it, but I seem to remember that it could call your marked weapons from your home base to your current location.

Keneth
2014-04-22, 03:31 PM
A959 There's retrieve item, but it only works on small items. There's also the call weaponry power which summons a non-specific weapon.

Yanisa
2014-04-22, 04:01 PM
A959 addition
There is the spell Call Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/call-weapon), which retrieves an weapon from an ally. (It's the spell Luke Skywalker uses to get his light saber.)
There is a third party spell named Summon Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/rite-publishing---3rd-party-spells/s/summon-weapon), which does exactly what the name implies and seems to be similar as the 3.5 spell of the same name. (That last bit might convince a DM, the 3.5 version is from Complete Mage)

Kamai
2014-04-22, 10:09 PM
A958:
Not a perfect solution, but Crane Wing lets you deflect 1 melee attack per round, no matter what it's roll is.

Q960:
By RAW, when you use Beast Shape (or a similar spell) to change into something that can naturally breathe underwater, do you gain the capability to breathe underwater?
Question Redacted, rules hiding in the Polymorph(transmutation) subschool rules.

killem2
2014-04-23, 08:39 AM
Q: 960: Can an alchemist copy spells to it's formula list from places other than wizard? Like Magus?

Yanisa
2014-04-23, 09:10 AM
A960

Yup.

In the Magus spell section (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus#TOC-Spells) it states:

An alchemist can learn formulae from a Magus's spellbook, if the spells are also on the alchemist spell list.

Also in general Alchemist add spells to their formulae book like wizard adds spells to their spell book, because wizard have multiple sources for spells besides their own class, so would an Alchemist. (However Wizards cannot learn from Alchemist, so I expect Magus cant either.)

Aergoth
2014-04-23, 10:04 AM
A959 addition There's also the Called weapon enhancement that allows you to summon the weapon to you after owning it for something like 24 hours.

Zubrowka74
2014-04-23, 12:22 PM
Q961 Sorry if this seems basic but I just want to confirm. I'm playing a magus using spell combat. A monster with two attacks goes first in the round, damages an ally and hits me. On my turn I cast a standard action spell defensivelly and make my concentration check, plus I attack as per spell combat. The damage that's dealt before my turn doesn't disrupt my spell, doesn't it? And if I get hit after my turn either? As I understand it only constant damage, immediate action or an AoO could do this, rigth?

Aergoth
2014-04-23, 12:36 PM
A961 So your question is really dealing with the question of whether or not casting your spell with spell combat has the same rules for casting defensively as typical spellcasting. The answer here is yes. However, assuming that you don't take damage while performing spell combat and make the appropriate check there's nothing that would stop you from casting the spell. Losing the spell is typically the result of being hit with an attack of opportunity, ongiong damage from a spell effect or something similar. Damage dealt before or after your turn could disrupt concentration neccessary to maintain a spell (spells with a duration of concentration) depending on when you cast it

Short answer: The damage you've already taken shouldn't affect your spell combat. Only damage taken on your turn typically has the potential to affect casting like that.

Kurald Galain
2014-04-24, 12:04 PM
Q962 The rules list an abstract "masterwork item" that gives +2 to the skill of your choice, and with a little creativity you can come up with one of those for pretty much any skill, even though some of them may end up a little silly. Is there any official word as to whether made-up masterwork items are allowed in Pathfinder Society?

AttilaTheGeek
2014-04-24, 03:02 PM
Q693a If I cast Dazing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/dazing-spell-metamagic) Magic Missile and direct multiple missiles at the same target, do they have to save once for each missile or only once for the spell?

Q693b If I cast Dazing Magic Missile and attack multiple targets with it, do they all have to save?

Q693c Is the DC of the Will save mentioned in Dazing Spell equal to 10+casting stat modifier+spell level, or can other modifications, e.g. Spell Focus, apply if they would apply to the spell?

If possible, could you also include rules quotes for the above? Thank you.

Cieyrin
2014-04-24, 05:43 PM
A 962 I know I've seen at least one example of a masterwork item on a Chronicle for purchase (a tiger mask that was a Masterwork item of Intimidation), so they seem legal for Society play but whether that means you can make your own is something else.

A 963a/b Generally speaking, you save against an effect once. A spell can affect multiple targets and they would each save but hitting a target multiple times with the same effect doesn't stack saves.

A 963c Spells always use the normal formula for saves, even in the case of a spell that doesn't normally have a save and gets one. So yes, the new Will save on your Magic Missile would be calculated as normal for a non-metamagic'd Magic Missile, so 11+Casting Stat modifier+Misc bonuses.

jaydubs
2014-04-24, 06:06 PM
Q964

When a rider is on a mount that takes up more squares than he does, what square does the rider count as being in?

A point to the rules that determine this would also be appreciated, whatever the answer.

powerdemon
2014-04-24, 06:23 PM
Q964

When a rider is on a mount that takes up more squares than he does, what square does the rider count as being in?

A point to the rules that determine this would also be appreciated, whatever the answer.

A964
From the PFSRD

"For simplicity, assume that you share your mount's space during combat."

In 3.5 they further explained this as choose a square your mount occupies and your attacks originate from there.

killem2
2014-04-25, 05:02 PM
Q 965: Do the alternate racial traits count towards the limit given on page 326 of the advance player's guide traits? like if a dwarve takes ancient enmity, can they still take Armor Expert from combat and Birthmark from faith traits if the max traits allowed were two as the book says is recommended?

Aergoth
2014-04-25, 11:00 PM
A 956: No. The fact that they're called racial traits doesn't mean that they're the same type of thing as the "Traits" that you might take for instance as part of a campaign. Racial traits are simply qualities inherent to different members of that race, while the other kind represent the specific experiences and history of your character. Ancienty Enmity is a "Dwarfiness Trait" where as Armor Expert is a "Background Trait"

Granolaman
2014-04-26, 12:55 PM
Q966

Can either the Mending spell or Make Whole spell repair expensive material components for reuse?

Q967

If a caster can ignore Arcane Spell Failure for light armors, does this include medium mithral armor?

Aergoth
2014-04-26, 02:47 PM
A966 There's not a hard rules answer to this but I believe that expensive material components are consumed by the act of casting a spell. So unless you could put ashes back together into a log that you could set on fire, I'd guess no. They could repair an expensive focus, but focii and material components are distinguished by the fact that a focus remains intact through the spell and material components are consumed.

A967 As per the SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Mithral):
Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor. A character wearing mithral full plate must be proficient in wearing heavy armor to avoid adding the armor's check penalty to all his attack rolls and skill checks that involve moving
There is some debate as to whether or not this matters if you can reduce the armor check penalty to 0.
Short answer: If you don't have the feat you suffer a non-proficiency penalty, similar to wielding a weapon you don't have proficiency with.

Cieyrin
2014-04-26, 05:37 PM
A 967 The general consensus I've found online seems to be that ignoring ASF as a class feature (as a Bard, Summoner or Magus) can be triggered by having a Mithral version lightening it up. You still have to deal with proficiency issues, since you can't bypass that with Mithral but otherwise yes, a bard in a mithral breastplate or elven chain can cast at no penalty, for example.

Spore
2014-04-27, 10:27 AM
Q968 The Master Chymist's class feature "mutagenic form" states the following:

Mutate (Su): At 1st level, as a result of repeated exposure to her mutagens, the master chymist can now assume a mutagenic form twice per day without imbibing her mutagen.

My English is not very good but does this mean a Master Chymist can use his mutagen 3/day on the 1st level?

I feel like that's a silly question but the feature is worded weirdly.

Yanisa
2014-04-27, 11:38 AM
A968
First off: Mutagens have no limit per day. It is kinda like a potion, it has a crafting time of one hour and the alchemist can only have one in possession. Making a second one makes the first one useless, so you cannot make a stockpile. But otherwise no limits, so you can have 23 mutagens per day, roughly... By crafting one, which takes up an hour, then expending it, rather rinse repeat. (Ignoring basic things like sleep, food, travel time and what else takes up time.)

The Mutate ability is separate from Mutagen, but provides the same bonuses and penalties, and is for all intend and purposes the same as drinking a Mutagen, but it doesn't use a real Mutagen Potion. So you can Mutate in your Mutagen-form, and still have a "Potion of Mutagen" left in case of emergency. Or when you are out of "Mutagen Potion", you can still mutate the gain those abilities without needing an hour to craft an potion.

It does sound needlessly complex to me so I hope this clears it up a bit.

Spore
2014-04-27, 12:37 PM
Q968 continuation The rules read for me like if I imbibe my mutagen instead of using the mutate ability the mutate ability becomes impossible until I have a mutagen on me again.

Q969Another question comes to mind: Does the mutate ability ALWAYS give you the stat array you picked on your mutagen or are you free to pick? And if Q968 answers that you can mutate while the mutagen is used up, what does define your stat array then?

Yanisa
2014-04-27, 12:55 PM
A968 Continuation
Well the rules state

Taking a mutagen or using the mutate ability again while in her mutagenic form works normally

There are three ways to go into Mutagenic Form
1) Drink a Mutagen
2) Use Mutate
3) After suffering a critical hit or failing a Fortitude save. Still takes up a daily use of Mutate.

When in Mutagenic form all three things can happen again. So you can Imbibe Mutagen and then use Mutate.

Also using Mutate does not expend a Mutagen.

At 1st level, as a result of repeated exposure to her mutagens, the master chymist can now assume a mutagenic form twice per day without imbibing her mutagen.

A969
Like I said it works just like a Mutagen. Straight from the source:

In this form, she gains all the bonuses and penalties of her mutagen.

If you are confused by this line:

Taking a mutagen or using the mutate ability again while in her mutagenic form works normally (with the new mutagen’s modifiers replacing the current modifiers, and the longer duration taking precedent).
You can drink the Mutagen of another Alchemist, hence the line about replacing current modifiers.

Keneth
2014-04-27, 11:17 PM
You can drink the Mutagen of another Alchemist, hence the line about replacing current modifiers.

While that's true, the line is actually there because mutagens come in more than one variant (Str/Int, Dex/Wis, or Con/Wis), so it's important to note that the new modifiers replace the old ones.

Yanisa
2014-04-27, 11:21 PM
While that's true, the line is actually there because mutagens come in more than one variant (Str/Int, Dex/Wis, or Con/Wis), so it's important to note that the new modifiers replace the old ones.

Wait, Alchemist them self can choose? And here I thought it was set in stone after character creation. Poor friend who is playing an alchemist in my party. :smallfrown:

Keneth
2014-04-27, 11:39 PM
Wait, Alchemist them self can choose? And here I thought it was set in stone after character creation. Poor friend who is playing an alchemist in my party. :smallfrown:

When an alchemist brews a mutagen, he selects one physical ability score—either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

How'd you manage to get that wrong. :smallconfused:

Yanisa
2014-04-28, 08:42 AM
How'd you manage to get that wrong. :smallconfused:

Well I asked my player and I am unsure what he said exactly but it lead to me thinking it was a set choice (He has more PF experience then me, so I trusted him). Plus I only skimmed trough the alchemist (again I trusted my Player with more experience).

Heck I still skimmed that paragraph when answering Sporeegg questions. So I'm glad you pointed it out. :smallsmile:

Kamaei
2014-04-30, 12:55 AM
Q970
When obtaining any of the crafting feats, for the craft check is it a flat craft check or, ex. craft (wondrous items) or for craft magic arms and armor craft (armor)/(weapon)?

Yanisa
2014-04-30, 09:02 AM
A970
General speaking it is Spellcraft but you can also choose a different skill check depending on what magic item you want to create. See the spoiler down for the full spectrum that you can use.

Creating Magic Armor - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or Craft (armor).
Creating Magic Weapons - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft, Craft (bows) (for magic bows and arrows), or Craft (weapons) (for all other weapons).
Creating Potions - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or Craft (alchemy)
Creating Rings - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or Craft (jewelry).
Creating Rods - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft, Craft (jewelry), Craft (sculptures), or Craft (weapons).
Creating Scrolls - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft, Craft (calligraphy), or Profession (scribe).
Creating Staves - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft, Craft (jewelry), Craft (sculptures), or Profession (woodcutter).
Creating Wands - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft, Craft (jewelry), Craft (sculptures), or Profession (woodcutter).
Creating Wondrous Items - Skill(s) Required: Spellcraft or an applicable Craft or Profession skill check.
For the source just look up the relevant Magic Item Creation chapter here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items) or in your book.

Hammerfels
2014-04-30, 09:14 AM
Q971
Ok... its about Baleful Polymorph. I just dont get how this Spell works.
If i cast it on a Giant Slug to polymorph it in a Rabbit or something and it fails its Fort-Save, what happens to its STR and DEX Value? Is it something like +10DEX and -10STR?
CON stays as it is, right? And INT, WIS, and CHA only change when the Slug fails its Will-Save?

Yanisa
2014-04-30, 09:26 AM
A971
Okay first off, lets look at the generic Polymorph rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph). Because the creature, the giant slug, is lager then medium, it first gets down graded according the table. (Last line in the chapter.) Going from Huge to Medium would mean the Giant Slug gets -8 Str, +4 Dex, -4 Con

Secondly Baleful Polymorph works like Beast Shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/beast-shape) III. Because a rabbit is a tiny creature, the slug would get +4 Dex, -2 Str from going from Medium to Tiny.

The total adjustment would be -10 Str, +8 dex and -4 Con.

And indeed, if it also fails it will save, it would get the mental stats from the Rabbit in place of its own. (Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5)

Lord Lemming
2014-05-01, 01:17 AM
Q972

If I'm playing a melee fighter who doesn't quite have enough speed to cross the gap between me and the enemy, can I get as close as I can and then take a readied action to strike at the first enemy who closes to melee range? Do readied actions have that kind of flexibility?

Q973

When I take a readied action, can I just announce that I've readied an action, and then write it down on a piece of paper and place it face-down in front of the DM? This way there's no question of me cheating, and the DM can't change the enemy tactics based on what I'm doing. Or is it required that I tell the table what readied action I'm taking?

Yanisa
2014-05-01, 02:18 AM
A972
Readying an action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Ready) is a standard action, so you can move your basespeed once and then ready an action to strike a opponent. Besides that the action you ready is limited to a a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action, but the conditions (aka the event that triggers the readied action) are as flexible as the DM allows.

A973
Well the official text states:

You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, anytime before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition.
Although the precise methode is up to you and the DM, general speaking it implies to announce your actions to the table and at the very least atleast the DM.

[Unwanted Personal Advice]
Also, as a side unwanted advice, if you expect your DM to cheat you out of your readied action by changing tactics, do talk to him. It's unfair in my opinion for simple things, like striking a nearby opponent (You can abuse readied action by being really vague for the conditions, but that's a different chapter). If you like the DM but he is unwilling to change, you can also delay your turn to be more unpredictable. Althought I like your idea of writing it on a paper as well.
[/Unwanted Personal Advice]

Kurald Galain
2014-05-01, 08:43 AM
I recently learned about this "list of necessary items" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) for 3.5. I'm curious if a similar list exists for Pathfinder, on this or any other forum? I'd assume that the abilities required are more-or-less the same, but most of the items listed wouldn't exist in a pathfinder-only setting.

Lord Lemming
2014-05-01, 10:37 AM
[Unwanted Personal Advice]
Also, as a side unwanted advice, if you expect your DM to cheat you out of your readied action by changing tactics, do talk to him. It's unfair in my opinion for simple things, like striking a nearby opponent (You can abuse readied action by being really vague for the conditions, but that's a different chapter). If you like the DM but he is unwilling to change, you can also delay your turn to be more unpredictable. Althought I like your idea of writing it on a paper as well.
[/Unwanted Personal Advice]

It's not that I'm worried about the DM 'cheating' per se, but the DM (and the rest of us for that matter) is inexperienced. It's more about separation of player and character knowledge; the monsters I'm facing aren't supposed to know what I'm doing, but the DM does. Even if the DM is trying to let the creatures act 'naturally,' knowing my plan in advance means the DM will use different tactics than they would have used otherwise, simply because it's kinda hard to separate IC and OOC knowledge. Heck, at this early stage of the game where we're still learning the ropes, the DM is likely to just go along with whatever plans we come up, by throwing monsters to my readied embrace, rather than having them all conspicuously avoid me. But this is something I should probably talk to my DM about.

jaydubs
2014-05-02, 03:25 AM
Q974

Is there a definition for monstrous vermin vs non-monstrous vermin? More specifically, will insectbane candles work on a hellwasp swarm? And is there any way for hellwasps to overcome them, if say adventurers walk around with the candles and start attacking said swarm at range?

Yanisa
2014-05-02, 05:18 AM
A974
There is no thing like as "Monstrous Vermin". The creature type is simply called Vermin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin). So per RAW all Vermin are "Non-Monstrous Vermin" and affected by Insectbane candles.

Edit2: I checked up, but I cannot find any Pathfinder source for Insectbane Candles, so they might be a 3.5 item that is incorrectly listed on the d20pfsrd. Only source found is Arms and Equipment guide, page 21. For my own curiosity I started a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?345824). RAW answer stays as it though...

Old post and all my speculation is currently disproved and available under the spoiler:

However, look at this: Mundane Insect Swarms (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/environmental-hazards/mundane-insect-swarms-cr-2). Which seems to make a different between the monster subtype Swarm and the real life swarm, quote:

Types of Swarms
Common irritating swarms include gnats, black flies, and mosquitoes. Flightless swarms, such as swarms of ants, spiders, and maggots, also use the rules presented here but occupy a square rather than a cube and do not impede vision or grant concealment. These swarms should not be confused with deadly swarms, which include monsters like wasps, spiders, and other dangerous insects and follow the normal monster rules for swarms.

However Insectbane is not mentioned in Heart of Jungle, where this original came from, and only mentioned in passing in the edited version of the d20PFSRD. So it's just a possible houserule, nothing RAW or even rooted in RAW at this point.[/Speculation]

[Third Edition Speculation]Insectbane Candles can be found in the Arms and Equipment guide, page 21(Thanks to Darrin and his Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) guide). These seems to have the exact same wording as the pathfinder version . In 3.5 some creatures like spiders, were called monstrous. Pathfinder changed the name to giant spider. It might be an edtion translation error. Even then the item still remains vague and unspecified, because the creature type is still vermin, and everything not "Monstrous [Insect Name]" still would be affect, including hellwasp swarms. But the intend then does seem to be protection against swarm sized non magical insect vermin critters...[/Third Edition Speculation]

And I am very sorry for all the speculation on something that should be an easy question and easy answer thread, but seriously this is poorly written and hard to figure out plus the RAW answer seems very unbalanced in my opinion.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-02, 08:28 AM
Q975

Is the following correct:

Take any 2nd level wizard spell that's also on the bard's list, such as Invisibility.
You can buy a scroll of this spell at caster level 3, which is the minimum for a wizard to cast this spell
A third-level bard cannot cast 2nd level spells yet, but he does have a caster level of 3
Therefore this bard can cast the spell from this scroll without requiring any check (like UMD or caster level or whatever)

Yanisa
2014-05-02, 09:09 AM
A975
Yes.

As a side note: a level 1 bard could activate a scroll of invisibility if he manages to roll a 3 or higher on a d20.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-02, 02:49 PM
Thanks.

Q976. Suppose I have the ability to cast certain spells at +1 caster level (e.g. Mage's Tattoo feat). Does this also apply to spells cast from a wand or scroll?

Yanisa
2014-05-02, 03:32 PM
A976
No. The caster level of a scroll or wand (or any magic item) is is dependent on the creator, not the user. General speaking for wands and scrolls this is the minimal caster level of the spell but a caster can change this. (Source (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Descriptions))

Caster Level (CL): The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item's saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell but not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the item itself.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-02, 04:30 PM
Right.

Q977 What about effects that increase damage (e.g. havoc of the society (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/havoc-of-the-society-sorcerer-pathfinder-society)), would that apply to wands or scrolls?

soulsabre345
2014-05-02, 05:47 PM
Q 978
From the Dreamscarred press Psionics Unleashed Vitalist, Is there any way for members of the Vitalist's collective to cast spell/powers through it? Class is here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist

Yanisa
2014-05-03, 01:34 AM
A977
No, you are using an magic item (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Using-Items) rather then casting a spell.

torrasque666
2014-05-04, 12:25 AM
Q 979: I don't see any rules for utilizing a gestalt mechanic. How would one arrange such a setup in Pathfinder?

Yanisa
2014-05-04, 01:08 AM
A979
Same as in 3.5. Pathfinder never brought out gestalt rules, but the 3.5 ones from Unearthed Arcana still work for Pathfinder. You don't even need to rewrite anything because all the rules gestalt touches still apply in Pathfinder games. (Link to 3.5 gestalt rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm))

Lonewolf147
2014-05-04, 09:15 AM
Q980

If a someone declares a readied action, and then the trigger event occurs, does that person have to take their readied action or can they just not take it?

Yanisa
2014-05-04, 10:23 AM
A980
You can choose if you take the readied action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Ready) or not. The exact wording is "you may take the readied action in response to that condition".

Lord of Shadows
2014-05-04, 01:37 PM
Q981

If a spell or ability requires that all party members join hands (i.e Plane Shift (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/plane-shift)), if the party is already together in a group, does the action of joining hands provoke an Attack of Opportunity? The DM has argued that the enemy will observe that and realize that it is not part of a normal action in combat. They won't necessarily realize what is about to happen, just that what they are seeing is not natural for the situation.

Thanks.

Yanisa
2014-05-04, 03:24 PM
A981
There aren't any hard rules dealing with PC to PC interaction in combat (same issue with giving items in combat), so it will always be up to a DM how to interpret it.

I do think it would provoke, because one of the ways of Provoking an Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Provoking-an-Attack-of-Opportunity) is by

Performing a Distracting Act

Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Table: Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity.
I do feel you divert attention from combat when you grab the hands of your friend (it is an odd thing to do mid combat and surrounded by enemies). Also moving provokes, grappling provokes (unless trained) and picking up items or grabbing items provoke, which are similar actions to grabbing a friends hand.

torrasque666
2014-05-04, 06:01 PM
Q982:

Would a synthesist who has a Huge Eidolon through evolutions be able to bump that up to Gargantuan through the use of enlarge person?

Yanisa
2014-05-04, 11:37 PM
A982
Yes... but Paizo is/was looking for a way to disallow it. Check this FAQ post (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9obd). Because it has been ~3 years I don't think this rule about size changing will be written... but who knows.

gr8artist
2014-05-05, 07:02 PM
Q 983: If I begin my turn hidden via a successful stealth check on my last turn, and on my turn I move toward an opponent and attack him, is he flat-footed against me? Or do I need to make another stealth check to approach him unnoticed?

Banaticus
2014-05-05, 10:29 PM
Q 984: So elemental damage is usually halved and then applied against hardness? So the 1d3 acid splash orison which could just be recast every round, all day long, could never ever burn through wood because it couldn't beat the 5 hardness?

Yanisa
2014-05-05, 11:46 PM
A983
As soon as you leave your cover for the open fields you must make a new stealth check. Your opponent is unaware of you, thus flat-footed, until you strike him once. (Also see breaking stealth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/stealth#TOC-Breaking-Stealth).)

A984
Yup, however the book (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/damaging-objects#TOC-Energy-Attacks) states that the DM can say that a element is super effective (fire vs paper) and deals full damage against the object (I assume full damage implies ignoring hardness too).

Da'Shain
2014-05-07, 04:18 PM
Q 985
For a Bard's Versatile Performance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard#TOC-Versatile-Performance-Ex-), it states that the bard "can use his bonus in that skill in place of his bonus in associated skills" and that this is "in place of its associated skill's bonus". The way I read this, it means that any bonuses that add specifically to the replaced skill do not transfer over to the Perform skill bonus; e.g. a Bard using Perform (percussion) in place of Intimidate checks could not gain the benefit of, say, Skill Focus (Intimidate) or Persuasive. Likewise, a Hat of Disguise or similar effect, since it gives a bonus specifically to the Disguise skill, would not give its bonus to a bard using Perform (acting) in place of the Disguise skill. Am I reading this right? I will admit that I'm slightly biased in thinking Versatile Performance is already incredibly strong skill-wise and doesn't need further synergy.

Spore
2014-05-07, 04:54 PM
A 985 You are correct. This is the main reason why most bard archetypes who ditch this ability are considerably weaker. This is also the reason why Skill Focus (Perform) is very viable - even being taken several times for different performances. (Still as a DM I would give situational boni to e.g. Perform (Act) for disguises when using a hat of disguise.)

Kurald Galain
2014-05-08, 06:04 AM
Q 986 The rules for familiars state that a familiar can use its master's skill ranks. This seems to mean that a caster with a familiar can basically roll twice on all knowledge and perception checks (using the familiar's int and wis modifier on the second, and assuming the familiar is high enough for the "speak with master" ability), and probably on intimidate as well. Is that correct?

Spore
2014-05-08, 10:31 AM
A986 It seems so. Keep in mind that the creature gets hefty penalties and bonusses for certain skills. A tiny cat cannot intimidate very well. :)

torrasque666
2014-05-08, 12:30 PM
Q 987 If a creature can wield larger sized weapons(Like a tiefling with the variant ability that grants "oversized limbs") wield a Medium size weapon as if they were a large creature(as in wield a medium sized two-handed weapon in one hand)?

MrNobody
2014-05-08, 01:19 PM
Q 988
About combat maneuvers, rules state

Combat maneuvers are attack rolls, so you must roll for concealment and take any other penalties that would normally apply to an attack roll.

So, looking at those maneuvers that can be made in place of a normal attack (disarm, trip) and so as part of a full attack, if i have a BAB +9/+4 and i want to trip AND disarm a foe in the same round do I have to calculate the CMB for the first attack with +9 and the CMB for the second with +4, or every attack is made as the highest BAB?

Yanisa
2014-05-08, 01:35 PM
A987
Nope. A weapon's designation only changes category when the wielder and the intended wielder of the weapon differ in size. Besides that, over-sized limbs specifically only allows you to wield large weapons without a penalty, you do not count as a large creature. (See here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#TOC-Weapon-Size))

A988
You do apply penalties as normal, they are still attack rolls. So that is +9/+4 regardless of which maneuvers do you. (Last line under preforming a combat maneuver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Combat-Maneuver-Bonus). Also see the side bar here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Full-Round-Actions).)

Aergoth
2014-05-09, 11:10 AM
Q989
On a full attack, can I use a thrown weapon and attack the guy next to me with a melee weapon?
Specifically, the aim here is to open combat by throwing a throwing shield at an enemy and then spend the next attacks with a melee weapon. According to the text on throwing shields, throwing it is a free action, so it might not even take the full-attack based on that, but that doesn't seem right?

Yanisa
2014-05-09, 11:45 AM
A989
Well it isn't spelled out in the rules it seems possible to mix and match ranged and melee attacks (See this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/stabbing-shot-combat) for some prove...). Do remember that you either need to quick draw the second weapon, or wield both weapons and suffer TWF penalties.

As for Throwing Shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/throwing-shield)... it is faulty written and by literal RAW reading you get to throw, aka making an attack, as a free action. There are exploit combo's that allow unlimited tossing of shields as a free action. However the intend seems that you can unstrap the shield as a free action so you could use that shield to throw as an attack.

As for Shield, Throwing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/shield-throwing) that is someone at the PFSRD using some fancy formatting that is not represent of the book. It still uses the same words though.

jaydubs
2014-05-10, 11:00 AM
Q990

Does something that increase weapon damage rolls increase the damage from extraordinary abilities that function similar to weapons?

Specifically, do lantern archon light rays benefit damage-wise from things like prayer, inspire courage, etc.?

Yanisa
2014-05-10, 11:47 AM
A990
No. Even though a ray is pretty weapon like, to the point weapon feats apply (e.g. weapon focus), at the end of the day a ray attack doesn't deal weapon damage.

In the case of the Latern Archon this is pretty clear by the fact it ignores damage reduction (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Damage-Reduction-Ex-or-Su-), which specially guards against weapons. I guess a Latern Archon deals nonmagical untyped elemental damage but that is not specified by the rules.

OutRideACrisis
2014-05-10, 11:53 AM
Q991
When grappling a grapple check can be made to move the opponent up to your half speed. Does moving the opponent past allies create attacks of opportunity?

Would doing so count as moving the target to a hazardous location and grant the opponent a free attempt to leave the grapple?

Yanisa
2014-05-10, 12:46 PM
A991
Movement out of threatened squares generally provokes. The movement due grappling doesn't have any exception to the general rule, so it would sill provoke. (See Table: Actions in Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Action-Types). First comment states "Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity.")

An hazardous location is a undefined term and it seems to imply terrain hazards (walls of fires, pits, spikes, etc). At the other side attacks of opportunity due movement happen because you moved out of a threatened square. A threatened square sounds like a hazardous location to me. Your DM mileage may vary though, due lack of clear RAW definite statement.

kkplx
2014-05-11, 09:30 AM
Q 992

If a UMD check to activate a scroll fails, is the spell used up or can you try again from the same scroll?

Since the rules don't specifically tackle the issue, I currently believe the spell does not get removed from it, but i'd love confirmation/denial with a RAW link/citation.

Yanisa
2014-05-11, 09:42 AM
A992
The scrolls isn't expended. Like you said the rules don't state it.

But lets go in a bit deeper to give a more satisfying answer. If you try to use a scroll, but don't have the right caster level you need to maker a caster level check. (This is different then rolling use magic device, which emulates having the spell on your spell list). If that caster level check fails, the scroll is not expended unless a mishap happens. Because UMD avoids the whole mishap chance, the scroll cannot be expended.
Or in other words a scroll only gets expended after a successful casting or when a mishap occurs when failing to use it.

Here is the RAW text (and link to PFSRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/scrolls))

If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell's caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll's caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a scroll mishap. A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers. Activating a scroll is a standard action (or the spell's casting time, whichever is longer) and it provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does. If the caster level check fails but no mishap occurs, the scroll is not expended.

Tanuki Tales
2014-05-11, 11:03 AM
Q993

The wording on Deliquescent gloves has gotten me really confused. Is it a pair of gloves that give each hand 1d6 acid to unarmed strikes, touch attacks and wielded weapons or is it a pair of gloves that give that to one hand?

Yanisa
2014-05-11, 11:58 AM
A993
By RAW they seem to apply to both hands. The name and the first sentence talk about "gloves" and even the picture in the books shows a pair of gloves, both dripping with acid. So by RAW there are two gloves, and by RAW nothing limits the abilities to one hand. (Unlike say Glove of Storing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/glove-of-storing), one of the rare singular hand slot items. Which is a singular glove without the plural "s", has a single glove on its picture and has a clause you cannot wear two of them.)

To be fair those gloves (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/gloves-deliquescent) have me confused too, and the limited (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p25c?Deliquescent-Gloves) topics (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p7oy?Question-about-DELIQUESCENT-GLOVES-from) I found (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2p9fz?Deliquescent-Gloves-Exactly-what-they-do) are just as polarizing.

It seems like all references to "that hand" are referring to the line "reshaping to fit any hand, claw, tentacle, or alien limb". The first line in italics on the PFSRD is actually part of the fist paragraph and flows directly into the second sentence... (In the book: "These heavy leather gloves ripple and flows at the wearer’s command, reshaping to fit any hand, claw, tentacle, or alien limb. The wearer’s melee touch attacks with that hand deal 1d6 points of acid damage.") However there is a second paragraph and that starts with "The wearer’s gloved hand...". So I give up because English grammar isn't my strong suit, but that seems part of the issue of why the items text is confusing.

Occasional Sage
2014-05-11, 10:43 PM
Q994
How does Sickening Strikes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sickening-strikes) work for a Magus? It doesn't create held touch attacks which would dissolve when something like Shocking Grasp is cast; it doesn't require concentration to prevent other spellcasting. It seems to stack with other spells, and allow a sickening Vampiric Touch followed by a sickening Shocking Grasp ad infinitum. What am I missing?

Yanisa
2014-05-12, 06:45 AM
A994
You aren't missing anything. The spell seems to stack with spellstrike, just as it could stack with a fiery weapon.

If this sounds overpowered, do remember it is a 3th level spell, so you get at level 7. And it is ratfolk only, unless DM permission. Besides save or be sickened is not that impressive, your melee attacks need to hit, and hitting the same target over and over with sickening isn't going to do much other then reseting the 1 minute duration. And disease immunity is easy to get around level 7 and only gets easier as levels go by. Also you need to cast the spell the round before attacking, making you loose an possible attack turn.
It's a nice buff, but it doesn't sound gamebreaking even when stacking with spellstrike.

Yomega
2014-05-12, 09:12 PM
Q995
What is the value of a custom magic item with this effect: 2/day Lesser Animate Dead (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-dead)?
I am having trouble understanding the chart about times per day custom magic items and the fact this has a expensive material component but it varies on the creature.
It has a caster level of 3 so 6HD undead max all tho how would creation costs deal with a desecrate spell?

Yanisa
2014-05-12, 11:54 PM
A995
Well first off the basics. A Use-activated has a cost of Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp. In our case that is 16,000 GP (2x4x2.000)

Next up is the Charges per day. Which is Base price Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)... Or 16,000 divided by (5 divided by 2) Or 16,000 divided by 2.5 = 6,400

Then we got spell components. That states: Spell has material component cost: Add directly into price of item per charge. But the footnote says: "4 If item is continuous or unlimited, not charged, determine cost as if it had 100 charges. If it has some daily limit, determine as if it had 50 charges. "... So we are treating the item as 50 charges, it has a daily limit after all, but besides that is unlimited. I also say the material cost is the highest we can get. We can animate double caster level, which leads to 6 HD or 150 GP per charge. Times 50 charges is another 7,500 gp.

So the starting price is 13,900 for a item with 2/day Lesser Animate Dead at caster level 3, to a max of 6 HD skeletons. After that the DM needs to see whether the price fits and should up or down scale accordingly. It is after all an item that makes permanent minions with 6 HD and the item never gets used up, so it's a pretty nifty thing and would easily be more expensive. (To be fair I have no clue what a balancing price is for permanent minions...)

As for how it deals with the desecrate, it doesn't in the item price, the fact other spells exist doesn't make the base item more expensive. But your DM might say: "wow due desecrate the item gets more awesome, so the item should be more expensive" and changes the price accordingly. Or the DM rules it doesn't work with desecrate because you are using an item, not casting the spell.

Just remember these prices are guidelines, not set rules. Ask your DM before using this item.

Yomega
2014-05-13, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the quick answer just a quick clarification, you do mean 16,000 not 16.000 lol the difference between 16 thousand and 16 is substantial lol.

The DM already gave this item out and we are almost back to town so he asked me to do the item values so we can split loot.

So an opinion on if thats a fair price would be useful (I know this is a RAW thread so I can make a normal thread if its warranted).

torrasque666
2014-05-13, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the quick answer just a quick clarification, you do mean 16,000 not 16.000 lol the difference between 16 thousand and 16 is substantial lol.
Likely 16 thousand. Difference in counting systems, some use the comma for thousands separation some use decimals.

Yanisa
2014-05-13, 01:12 AM

The DM already gave this item out and we are almost back to town so he asked me to do the item values so we can split loot.

So an opinion on if thats a fair price would be useful (I know this is a RAW thread so I can make a normal thread if its warranted).

Likely 16 thousand. Difference in counting systems, some use the comma for thousands separation some use decimals.

Yeah, Sixteen thousand gold pieces.

It's silly (And confusing) that so many countries (Mainly Europe vs America) use different ways of using points and comma's. Even worse that even though I copied the "comma methode" from the PFSRD I still typed the "point methode". Pardon for the confusion.

I reformatted my post to use the PFSRD standard.

Spore
2014-05-13, 03:44 AM
A995
Well first off the basics. A Use-activated has a cost of Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp. In our case that is 16,000 GP (2x4x2.000)

The caster level of animated dead is minimum 3rd level (cleric 3).

Yanisa
2014-05-13, 04:03 AM
The caster level of lesser animated dead is minimum 3rd level (cleric 2).
Errrm..., I edited your quote, I assumed you meant what I bolded.
So yeah I made a mistake. :smallredface:
Let's try Math again!

A995 Extra Mathematical

Step 1) Base price and reducing factors due charges per day
Step 1a) Base price = Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp. I am basing this of a cleric because that is a main caster and the lowest available level. So for Lesser Animated Dead (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-dead#TOC-Animate-Dead-Lesser) that is Cleric 2 thus Caster level 3.
Base price = x 3 x 2,000 = 12,000
Step 1b) Cost reduction due charges per day = Base price Divide by (5 divided by charges per day).
So that leads to: 12,000 divided by (5 devided by 2) = 12,000 divided by 2.5 = 4,800 GP

Step 2) Spell compontents price per charge
Step 2a) Spell Compontent = 25 GP per HD -> Caster level = 3 so that means 6 HD max. We are going to base it on the most powerful use of the spell (else the item would be unpriced, which seems unbalanced.)
The end result: 25 x 6= 150 GP per charge.
Step 2b) The item is calculted as if 50 charges. Because it is a unlimited use item, but has a daily limit.
Which leads to 50 x 150 = 7,500 GP

Step 3) Total cost = 4,800 + 7,500 = 12,800 GP

Q995b Is 12,800 GP a fair price for a item that casts Lesser Animated Dead twice per day? There are any similars items we can compare this too?

Spore
2014-05-13, 04:46 AM
I was unsure whether a cleric or a bard/oracle created it. In the latter case you would've been right.

Yanisa
2014-05-13, 05:03 AM
I was unsure whether a cleric or a bard/oracle created it. In the latter case you would've been right.

To be fair, so I am, but I was basing it of a cleric, seems logical, fitting and most often we go for the clerics/wizards when it comes to wands and scrolls, so why not for items?
But I also screwed the math, (an even number, I should have spotted that!) I redid the whole thing in the second post, so everyone can see my failing math in the orginal answer!

Thank you for pointing it out.

Do note I put a question at the end of my previous post, don't forgot that one. I am not a good person when it comes to cost and item balance and a quick google didn't reveal similar items, but I might missed something.

Spore
2014-05-13, 05:29 AM
Q995b Is 12,800 GP a fair price for a item that casts Lesser Animated Dead twice per day? There are any similars items we can compare this too?

Somehow this seems a tad bit too pricey for my taste. You can neither create an army in short periods of time nor is this really affordable for a (N)PC in the levels where several HD 3 zombies would matter.

They would stop the advance of a formidable enemy force for 1 round (1 fireball or similar). Keep in mind that a 9th level NPC with PC wealth would have about 12000 Gold for for magical items. And an NPC with PC wealth is too important to spend all this money on a small zombie creating thing. So while correct on the matter and item creation, the item itself is terrible.

On a desecrated area however, this could prove to be very useful. Personally I would buy two scrolls of Lesser Animate Dead for my 3rd level adept NPC. (Maybe a third one to reanimate a fallen PC) and be done with it. Having two undead bodyguards with considerable HD is both fitting and worthwhile on the cost end.

On the PC and hero side: I think this item would start to be annoying pretty quickly. The "necromancer-wannabe" would have an insane amount of micromanagement pissing of the rest of the players.

Conclusion: Too pricey, too much micromanagement but viable in other forms for creating undead support for relatively low level mooks.

Yanisa
2014-05-13, 06:52 AM
Somehow this seems a tad bit too pricey for my taste. You can neither create an army in short periods of time nor is this really affordable for a (N)PC in the levels where several HD 3 zombies would matter.

They would stop the advance of a formidable enemy force for 1 round (1 fireball or similar). Keep in mind that a 9th level NPC with PC wealth would have about 12000 Gold for for magical items. And an NPC with PC wealth is too important to spend all this money on a small zombie creating thing. So while correct on the matter and item creation, the item itself is terrible.

On a desecrated area however, this could prove to be very useful. Personally I would buy two scrolls of Lesser Animate Dead for my 3rd level adept NPC. (Maybe a third one to reanimate a fallen PC) and be done with it. Having two undead bodyguards with considerable HD is both fitting and worthwhile on the cost end.

On the PC and hero side: I think this item would start to be annoying pretty quickly. The "necromancer-wannabe" would have an insane amount of micromanagement pissing of the rest of the players.

Conclusion: Too pricey, too much micromanagement but viable in other forms for creating undead support for relatively low level mooks.

On a side note, the zombie's and skeletons can be 6 HD at best, but that doesn't change much of the argument. 6 HD zombies are only CR2 and 6 HD skeleton reach CR3, both of those don't contribute much in a CR 9 combat.
Also they are limited to small and medium and no special templates.
Also you can only control up to 12 HD with the item. So you get anything between twelve 1 HD and two 6 HD buddies. Neither a full army and non of it interesting in any combat at CR 9...

And yeah two scrolls do the same thing, for much much cheaper, that is good point. Let's build on your point and see if I can find a decent price with the guidelines.

A large cost modfier of the item is the spell compontent. So let's say it's not a unlimited item, or shouldn't count like one because the spell itself is unlimited. Then the compontent price should be 150 GP, two charges makes 300 GP + the base of 4,800 for a total price of 5,100.
It still is far more expensive then 2 scrolls. A scroll of Lesser Animate dead (150 GP) + Scroll of Descreate (175 GP) would also net a 12 HD (Addiontal 300 GP material cost) worth of undead for 625 GP. With the existance of scrolls it is hard to put justify an 2/day item.
Still 5100 GP does seem better, meaning it would take atleast 16 creations of 6 HD undead to out value scrolls, so it's a long term investment. (With 5000 GP you can buy 8 times 625 GP worth of scrolls or sixteen 6 HD undead.)

So is 5100 GP a more fair price?

Spore
2014-05-13, 02:36 PM
So is 5100 GP a more fair price?

Limit the controllable HD (as a side prereq) and call it a day. If we go further, we should think about another thread.

Big_Joe
2014-05-14, 12:54 AM
First off sorry for my bad English. Hopefully iam able to explain what i want to know.

Q 996

Iam a little bit confused about "+1 level of existing [arcane|divine] spellcasting class". Its totally clear what to do: Only take Spells Known, Spells per Day and what spell grades are cast able into account. But my specific confusion is about this:

Iam a Wizard 5/Dragon Disciple 3 (i know it isn't possible, just for demonstration). I have 4/4/3/2/1 (less to high grade) Spells and take a new Level in the DD class so i can cast an additional 3rd an 4th Grade Spell (for a total of 4/4/3/3/2). Now i take another Level DD. I don't get anything new in case of my Spells. But now, i take a third level in DD. Do i get:

- the ability to cast only 1 new spell, from the 5th grade? (4/4/4/3/2/1)
or
- one 4th-Grade and 2 5th-Grade Spells? (4/4/4/3/3/2)

My Thought about this is the first one so i can sum the thing up: "Spells per Day (and such) from the base class plus an amount of +1 level of existing [arcane|divine] spellcasting class to determine the available Spells per Day/Spells Known/possible Spell Grades". Am iam right?

Thanks in Advance :)

Ravens_cry
2014-05-14, 01:13 AM
Q997 Can you use the Field Repair feat to repair magic items, like a sundered +1 Flaming sword?

Spore
2014-05-14, 03:49 AM
Q996 Sorcerer 5/Dragon Disciple 3 casts as a Sorcerer of 7th level. Sorcerer 5/Dragon Disciple 5 casts as a Sorcerer of 8th level. It's simple as that. You won't get to cast 5th level spells until Wizard 5/DD 6 then.

Q997 I don't see anything against it but I am not hugely into crafting myself.

gr8artist
2014-05-14, 12:36 PM
Q 998: I know that you cannot take multiple archetypes which replace the same feature, but what if one archetype modifies a feature that another replaces. Specifically, I'm wondering about an archetype that changes what bonus feats you can choose from (by addition of new ones) and another archetype that replaces the bonus feats entirely.
Archetype A gives you some perks, one of which is, "this, this, this, and this are added to your list of bonus feats"
Archetype B says, "You don't need bonus feats, have this instead"
Could A and B be combined?

Yanisa
2014-05-14, 12:50 PM
A998
The hard rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/class-archetypes#TOC-Alternate-Class-Features) say no. Any alteration, whether it adds one feat or completely changes the feature means it cannot be traded or altered again for a second archetype. (This to prevent altering and then removing a class feature to stack archetypes.)

In case you are unsure, the Archetype Combo list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229326-PF-Archetype-Combos-Doing-all-the-work-b-c-reading-charts-is-bloody-annoying) does a great job of showing what archetypes stack and don't stack.

Kurald Galain
2014-05-14, 02:10 PM
A 998: What Yanisa said, but due to subtle wording differences there are a few exceptions.

For example, the Preacher Inquisitor archetype says that instead of a teamwork feat, you may get foo. Whereas the Sin Eater says that you don't get your teamwork feat for level 6. These two may be stacked. The same applies to certain archetypes that give you a different option for Alchemist discoveries, Magus arcana, or Oracle revelations.

But yes, check the aforementioned combo list, that is a good summary. If you go for the tables on d20pfsrd.org, then any archetype with an 'X' or 'C' for a class feature cannot be combined with any other with an 'X' or 'C' for that feature, but any '(X)' is fair game.

Yanisa
2014-05-14, 02:25 PM
A998 Addendum
Yeah there is one "exception" the rule, I forgot. Also I thought it was a monk only exception.

Here is the monk explanation (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9qnl), which can also be applied to Preacher Inquisitor and some rare other archetypes.

Monk: Can a qinggong monk take a second archetype if the character doesn't swap out abilities the second archetype requires?

Yes. However, the other archetype takes priority over the various abilities granted at each level, and the character can't delay taking an ability that the other archetype replaces—he must allow the second archetype to replace the standard ability at the standard class level.