PDA

View Full Version : Legendary

ElfLad
2006-11-08, 11:34 AM
Well, the old thread appears to have been lost in the swirling mists of time, and since, the comic has recently reached number 50, it seems like an excellent time to replug.

Here (http://legendary.comicgenesis.com)

theKOT
2006-11-08, 01:40 PM
This is a great comic. The art could stand some improvement, but it is getting better all the time and the jokes are great and the delivery is top-notch.

faerwain
2006-11-10, 04:44 PM
Yep, there are some threads vanished...

I liked how you really caught that video game feeling since you started, but now I just have to bow and give you a big round of applause: In yesterdays strip you so did summarize the sprits of videogames since their beginning:

"We all know that running out of ammo is an urban legend." :biggrin:

Great.

*still laughing, hands over a mug of beer to ElfLad and salutes*

theKOT
2006-11-10, 05:23 PM
I gotta give you some props for the "lady in red" strip. I hadn't thought of that before-brilliant!

Edit: Also, Elflad:
When(if ever) will you consider opening forums? Jes' wonderin'.

ElfLad
2006-11-11, 04:15 AM
Probably when I get a lot of people asking for one. I've seen a lot of people have comic forums with only two or three members, so I'd like to know that any forum I implement will be used. You're actually the first person who has asked.

theKOT
2006-11-11, 01:20 PM
You'll want to start with at least thirty members. Trust me, you need that many to keep a forum going.

Bryn
2006-11-11, 01:21 PM
Really enjoying the comic, especially the ammo one - it's quite high on Z-Axis's Grand Webcomic List (of doom).

Seriously, it's a good comic. I like many of the world map jokes, and as I said, especially the ammo one.

Fat Daddy
2006-11-12, 02:00 AM
Really like the comic. I have to be honest and say that I don't get some of the references, but the ones I do catch are really good. I especially liked the ammo joke.
Also, I don't know why, but this really cracked me up on the blog underneath the strip:
"If you've read all of the comics so far, and you don't like it, then you're doing it wrong. Go back and read it until you like it."
Keep up the good work, and this old geezer'll keep reading.

Daedrous Avari
2006-11-12, 01:07 PM
It's on my "webcomics to check for updates" list. Which means it's good.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-13, 04:02 PM
I'd join a Legendary forum, but I'd probably contribute even less than I do to the Dominic Deegan forums on Keenspot.

Anyway, about your latest incentive, ElfLad...while it is, in fact, the best analogy ever, the comparison makes it seem like you're one of the pretty-much-every-Gamecube-owner who didn't try Baten Kaitos Origins. You really should; people have complained about Tales of the Abyss being formulaic, and parts of BKO are as well, but the gameplay (despite the stigma of card-based action) is top-notch and innovative, at least compared to the vast majority of console RPGs.

EDIT: Follow-up to this comment posted in your ShoutBox.

theKOT
2006-11-21, 11:10 AM
Legendary Spoiler!
I think the thief is Ana! She looked pretty happy copping a feel off Antonio.
What oh what could this lead to? Hijinx? I bet it's hijinx, and humorous hijinx at that.

The Orange Zergling
2006-11-21, 02:13 PM
Legendary... check this as often as I check the other comics I read (daily), sometimes forget to for a week and go back and read 4... but still. It's moving it's way up in the world, unlike the vaaast majority of new webcomics.

I love this comic, and love any references I catch.

Tiako
2006-11-26, 06:29 PM
I have really gotten to enjoy this comic, especially the character of Carnahan.

Oh, and by the way, would you be adverse to my using one of your characters as an avatar? I don't really like the Paladin, and I don't really want to use a generic.

Klio
2006-11-26, 06:35 PM
Hi, ElfLad. Nice to see you over here (I've seen you posting on CG forums). I have to admit my first reaction to Legendary was "Oh no! An OOTS copy!" I promise not to let a first reaction keep me from getting to find out what's fun and different about your comic. After all, how could there possibly be enough stick figures in the world? :smallbiggrin: Congrats on passing the #50 milestone.

ElfLad
2006-11-26, 06:42 PM
Tiako: No, I don't mind. Tell me which character you want either here or through PM and I'll send you a copy.

Klio: Thanks! I knew that I'd probably get a lot of unfavorable comparisons to OotS when I started using the style, so I can't really blame you for your first impressions. Nice to know that you were able to get past that.

SilveryCord
2006-11-26, 06:50 PM
"Dammit, Rhoda, I have standards!"
I love it!

Ego Slayer
2006-11-26, 07:06 PM
As the President of the ElfLad Fan Club I say that this comic rocks. :smallbiggrin:

Keep up the good work! I especially like Carnahan. ^.^

Mr._Blinky
2006-12-03, 07:39 PM
Oh god, Mindy Klorean and life-giving micro-organisms. Worst. Pun. Ever.:smallsmile:

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-04, 09:52 AM
Is it wrong that I found today's incentive funnier than the comic?

Khantalas
2006-12-04, 10:13 AM
"Katana related back injuries". Poor Aeris.

ElfLad
2006-12-04, 11:56 AM
Is it wrong that I found today's incentive funnier than the comic?

Never darken the doorways of my comic again.

We don't need your kind there.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-08, 07:13 AM
Hmm...

*RESET*

Unfortunately, I'm a compulsive saver, so that post is still there. Damn. At least I didn't have to sit through the tutorial again...

theKOT
2006-12-08, 01:32 PM
ALWAYS go to the afterparty. The world can be saved later.

Daedrous Avari
2006-12-12, 03:49 PM
True that.

Turcano
2006-12-27, 02:42 PM
That was the most hilariously lame betrayal scene in the history of literature.

It was kind of funny in it's original context, but this just made it better.

Nevrmore
2006-12-29, 03:21 AM
Why hello there legendary. Nice to see you here.

I've read your comics before and I must say I HATE THEM!!

Okay, they're pretty good.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-29, 09:31 PM
Oh crap, it's Nevrmore. Are we going to have to sit through lame slays of OotS now that you're registered here?

ElfLad
2006-12-29, 10:37 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/AngryBalrog/beast.gif

Nevrmore
2006-12-29, 11:18 PM
Oh crap, it's Nevrmore. Are we going to have to sit through lame slays of OotS now that you're registered here?

Yeah because I'm totally the one who whored out his strip slaying skills to the max, buddy.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-29, 11:41 PM
Well, I was just giving you credit for inventing it. I knew it wouldn't happen unless you and Legendary had the opportunity.

And the "lame" comment was meant for all slays, including the couple I've done.

Jenrock
2006-12-30, 12:53 AM
I just found this thread (and subsequently the comic) and I'm only on the fourth strip, but I already like them enough to read the rest tonight.

-EDIT: OK, I'll finish them after I get some sleep, My eyes are hurting from staring at a screen so long.

-EDIT 2: Done, and it is nothing short of wonderful.

Nevrmore
2006-12-30, 01:21 AM

But anyway that's a pretty good idea :smallbiggrin:

Waf
2007-01-17, 01:35 AM
Here comes the big 100, muy exciting! What's it gonna be Elfman, double length? 7 jokes? secret guestcomic? hiatus? Actually don't do that last one....

ElfLad
2007-01-17, 03:22 AM
I plan to jump. Over a shark.

Jenrock
2007-01-17, 07:22 PM
Congratulations on 100 fantastic comics.

Tiako
2007-01-17, 09:42 PM
This comic keeps getting better, is all I have to say.

double length?
I've noticed there isn't really a "length" in Legendary. They probably average out to two rows, but it seems more dependent on the joke than any prescribed length (This is for the better, in my opinion).

Elliot Kane
2007-02-08, 08:59 PM
Very well observed, very funny. Great stuff :)

Flabbicus
2007-02-08, 09:02 PM
Looks like you're gaining ground in the buzzcomix list. Viva la Revolucion!

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-02-20, 03:06 PM
Hey just posting and saying good job, I read this comic everyday now

Ceska
2007-02-20, 03:11 PM
I loved the voting joke this time. Great comic in general, one of my favourites.

Green Bean
2007-02-20, 04:05 PM
It's an awesome comic, elflad. You had me at "Sage, Raine" :smallbiggrin: (man, I love that game)

JKR
2007-02-20, 05:57 PM
Hi, ElfLad. Nice to see you over here (I've seen you posting on CG forums). I have to admit my first reaction to Legendary was "Oh no! An OOTS copy!" I promise not to let a first reaction keep me from getting to find out what's fun and different about your comic. After all, how could there possibly be enough stick figures in the world? :smallbiggrin: Congrats on passing the #50 milestone.

Same here! I kinda grumbled when I saw it looked so much like OotS (and I still say you should get away from that look and find your own style) but man, you're an awesome writer! The jokes are great, much better than most webcomics out there. Nice job.

Turcano
2007-02-20, 10:16 PM
"This is the most boring hallucination I've ever had."

That, good sir, is win. It doesn't even matter what the context is.

Kyrsis
2007-02-21, 08:49 AM
Your comic truly amuses me.

I spent the majority of my work day (12 hour shift...*grumble*) reading them. Up to 100 now, going to finish the rest now.

JKR
2007-02-27, 04:37 PM
My favorite part is that it updates daily and yet still remains funny.

JKR
2007-03-12, 01:41 PM
Well to be honest, I'm loving the series, but I really didn't like the latest issue, where the "mysterious cloaked figure" appeared. Maybe it just reminds me WAY too much of Miko's debut, but it felt forced. If he/she was tracking the elf, would they really stop to ask if anyone had seen him? That seems odd. Anyway, still funny, I liked the cutscene joke!

ElfLad
2007-03-12, 04:42 PM
Well to be honest, I'm loving the series, but I really didn't like the latest issue, where the "mysterious cloaked figure" appeared. Maybe it just reminds me WAY too much of Miko's debut,
I can easily see why you'd think that, but Mysterious Cloaked Figures are par for the course in RPGs (see also: Kingdom Hearts) and I can assure you that the characters are very different,

but it felt forced. If he/she was tracking the elf, would they really stop to ask if anyone had seen him? That seems odd.
NPCs see and know everything (http://legendary.comicgenesis.com/d/20061103.html). Somebody besides the main characters finally realized that.

Khantalas
2007-03-12, 04:44 PM
But Xenahort never had to look for Sora.

Are we actually going through the Grand List of Major Console RPG Clichés, or is it just me?

storybookknight
2007-03-12, 08:40 PM
'Tis actually funnier if you read it without reading the comments at the bottom, I think - too much explanation can spoil the joke. I like it, though! Very reminiscent of Adventurers! but definitely with its own flair.

Is someone going to make a "healing garden implement" joke re: Lionel?

Also, will we see him obtain a magic sword that grows, and shoots its own cat-signal at the sky? That would be awesome.

JKR
2007-03-13, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=ElfLad;2180738]I can easily see why you'd think that, but Mysterious Cloaked Figures are par for the course in RPGs (see also: Kingdom Hearts) and I can assure you that the characters are very different,

I suppose that's true. I guess it just reminded me of the first Miko scene on OotS it all, after the rest of the comic seemed so original. I still love the comics. :smallbiggrin:

Druid
2007-03-16, 11:41 AM
Great comic, I'm basicaly posting this so I can easily find the link in the future. Keap up the good work.

Turcano
2007-03-16, 07:37 PM
Great comic, I'm basicaly posting this so I can easily find the link in the future. Keap up the good work.

Alternatively, you could bookmark it.

Jibar
2007-03-17, 01:47 PM
Somebody explain to me why it took me so long to click on Elf's sig pic?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-02, 05:10 PM
Hey, ElfLad, what gives? I can't seem to get to the Legendary site today. In fact, my browser can't seem to find Comicgenesis at all.

ElfLad
2007-04-02, 08:01 PM
The server for ComicGenesis is down, and there's no ETA when it will be back up.

You didn't miss much, just the announcement that I'm leaving the Internet forever.

Waf
2007-04-02, 08:10 PM
NoOOoOoooo. All my work on a Legendary fanfic with overt sexual overtones rendered worthless.:smallwink:

Legendary
2007-04-02, 08:38 PM
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE VIDEO GAME??????????

*screams in frustration*

Wait. . .

*goes off to make the video game now that he isn't limited by some fool who just happens to have some silly INTELLECTUAL right*

j/k

ElfLad
2007-04-02, 08:42 PM
NoOOoOoooo. All my work on a Legendary fanfic with overt sexual overtones rendered worthless.:smallwink:

Look on the bright side: Nothing you write now will be contradicted by anything in the future.

Enlong
2007-04-02, 08:50 PM
Wait, y're serious? Can't be... When was the announcment? What day?

Rama_Lei
2007-04-02, 08:57 PM
I want Legendary's figurative babies....to have and/or eat.

Legendary
2007-04-02, 09:11 PM
Feh, he said he was gone forever, then he left.

And now he's online again.

Well, I guess we can't trust HIM anymore.

Waf
2007-04-02, 09:16 PM
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE VIDEO GAME??????????

*screams in frustration*

Wait. . .

*goes off to make the video game now that he isn't limited by some fool who just happens to have some silly INTELLECTUAL right*

j/k

Kidding? I've got the cover drawn and the first chapter written.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/wafzilla/legendarylove.png

Around this time I realized I would never live my dream of drawing covers of romantic novels.

Legendary
2007-04-02, 09:51 PM
But I'M making a video game! AND IT'S MORE AUTHORIZED THAN YOUR ROMANCE NOVEL!

I win!

:P

Turcano
2007-04-03, 01:05 AM
Kidding? I've got the cover drawn and the first chapter written.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/wafzilla/legendarylove.png

Around this time I realized I would never live my dream of drawing covers of romantic novels.

Man, that gives the phrase "fifty thousand gold" a whole new meaning.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-03, 02:55 AM
At least it isn't slash.

Wolfman42666
2007-04-03, 07:17 AM
You aren't per chance going of topic that would be wrong.

the topic being legendary's awseom(ness?) sad to hear its only 3 a week now
(whats slash?)

Scientivore
2007-04-03, 09:41 AM
"Slash" is shorthand for "slash fanfic" which is fanfiction that focuses on a fantasized sexual matchup, such as "Kirk/Spock" (read "Kirk slash Spock" -- it's the standard example, I guess that it was one of the earliest on the Internet or something). It doesn't actually have anything to do with slashing, unless the author has an unusual fetish.

I could have the details wrong. I've avoided looking into it because the breadth and depth of human imagination frightens me sometimes. I really don't want to know more about that topic than what I accidentally pick up by geek osmosis, such as the unwanted knowledge that "Frodo/Sam" has apparently been one of the more popular categories in recent years.

ElfLad
2007-04-03, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that "slash" also refers almost exclusively to homosexual pairings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashfic).

Scientivore
2007-04-03, 10:08 AM
That explains a lot.

Waf
2007-04-03, 12:48 PM
I could of gone Lionel/Antonio but I think Carnaharn paired with anyone would bring in more fangirls cause he is a ninja, an elf, a bamf, and the most powerful fangirl attractant angst. Also I know Legendary has many of my comics dudes drawn, so retaliation would be far too easy for a full on slash cover page. :smallwink:

ElfLad
2007-04-03, 01:00 PM
"A bamf?"

Could you explain that in a way that doesn't cause part of my soul to die?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-03, 01:24 PM
I believe he's under the impression that Carnahan has short-range teleportation ability.

ElfLad
2007-04-03, 01:42 PM
I thought it might refer to a fan-favorite supporting character, because Nightcrawler is probably one of the most popular examples in the comic world.

But knowing how creepy fandom can get, it might refer to a sex scene involving teleportation or something similarly awful.

edit: According to Urban Dictionary, a BAMF is a Bad Ass Mother F***er

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-03, 01:47 PM
Yeah, or that.

(<3 Nightcrawler, in a completely platonic way)

ElfLad
2007-04-03, 01:49 PM
X-men comics are so much funner when you imagine a Samuel L. Jackson voice saying "Badass motherf***er!" every time Nightcrawler teleports.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-04, 12:44 AM
I wonder how the spider robot will react once the left legs are gone...:smalltongue:

In any case, this is a great comic. It's on my list of webcomics I check for updates.

Enlong
2007-04-04, 12:20 PM
I wonder how the spider robot will react once the left legs are gone...:smalltongue: .
Duh! It'll float! Just beacause it can! If this is like any "multipart" enemy I've seen, it'll also regenerate the legs.

Calamity
2007-04-04, 01:41 PM
You know, the battles in Legendary are always the part where you get the best jokes. Becuase of all the physics stuff. Legendary is a webcomic that makes me laugh every single strip.

Waf
2007-04-04, 03:16 PM
Duh! It'll float! Just beacause it can! If this is like any "multipart" enemy I've seen, it'll also regenerate the legs.

That, or it will just die in a fire. :smallbiggrin:

Comic Removed go read it on the site.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-04, 03:20 PM
So Antonio's Captain Kirk now?

EDITed for idiocy.

Scientivore
2007-04-04, 04:14 PM
Ha, that's great! In fact, it's so perfect that I checked the site to be sure that it was a fan strip, not actually the latest update. Wow! :smallamused:

ElfLad
2007-04-04, 05:15 PM
That is the latest update. It's just that ComicGenesis's server has been unsteady this week and so the comics aren't updating on schedule. So I posted that on the official Legendary forums and Waf apparently Copy-Pasted it here.

Waf
2007-04-04, 05:28 PM
That's what I do. I bring the Legendary to the peoples.

I will remove it from this thread though once the comic goes live if you like so people won't have to scroll past that everytime.

Enlong
2007-04-04, 09:34 PM
Oh ye gods! Why does divide by zero ALWAYS make me crack up? So awesome, Legendary.

Calamity
2007-04-06, 07:17 PM
Oooh, That's Hemlock, the new main character right? She was on the first page.

Legendary
2007-04-06, 07:50 PM
Personally, until today's comic, Hemlock was little more than a Vaarsuvius to me, if you get what I mean. At least now all evidence points to it being a her (the curve at the chest, the fact that the day prior ElfLad mentioned adding a flower girl soon, etc.)

I can't wait to see what this elf chick will do to the random encoun...

Oh. There are a max of four people in the party at once. They'll have to get rid of SOMEONE.... Darn. Well, Lionel's useless anyways, until you want a quick healing.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-06, 08:51 PM
Personally, until today's comic, Hemlock was little more than a Vaarsuvius to me, if you get what I mean. At least now all evidence points to it being a her (the curve at the chest, the fact that the day prior ElfLad mentioned adding a flower girl soon, etc.)

I can't wait to see what this elf chick will do to the random encoun...

Oh. There are a max of four people in the party at once. They'll have to get rid of SOMEONE.... Darn. Well, Lionel's useless anyways, until you want a quick healing.

True, but generally only for battles. For cutscenes, new people often just spontaneously appear (apparently they didn't feel like getting in the way of the battle or something). There are a few exceptions, but the above rule is generally true in fantasy settings.

Gaelbert
2007-04-07, 03:37 PM
I got the link to Legendary off of this thread, and I'd just like to say that I love it. I play most of the old Final Fantasy games and the like, and I love the references and cliches. It started out great and kept getting better. Keep up the good work!

Calamity
2007-04-07, 03:45 PM
In the early days, but not the earliest, it was just 3 people to a party. And yes, the others would just suddenly appear.

Like in FF8 when: Your party and Rinoa fall into time compression after beating Adel, yet the other 2 will just magically appear one you reach Ultimecia Castle

ElfLad
2007-04-07, 04:04 PM
No, early days were four. FF1, FF2j, and FF3j all had four characters in battle at a time, and those were all on the Famicom.

There were game systems before the PS1, FYI.

Enlong
2007-04-07, 05:38 PM
Yeah! Glory to the retro and all that.

I think that any new characters'll be in a "secondary" group. One that either is switched to when the first four die (Golden Sun II) or do nothing and let the world blow up or summat (Tales of Symphonia). Obviously, Choice 2 would be more funny.

Wolfman42666
2007-04-08, 09:01 AM
:roy: "i dream of the day i will learn to stop asking questions to which i will regret knowing the answers"
*shudders* (note to self: don't ask questions on forums)

also is hemlock going to be a romantic subplot, since she appears elven and legendary has parodied every other rpg chliche out there (can't spell,sorry) and may one day run-out of such easy joke-fodder (i wonder if thart's a phrase?)

Waf
2007-04-10, 06:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/wafzilla/Ok-Im-done.png

So the instant Hemlock showed up this joke popped up in my head from the romance novel. I'll stop now.:smalltongue:

ElfLad
2007-04-10, 07:21 PM
Nah, the worst you'd get from Hemlock is probably a rash, unless you swallow it.

Minds out of the gutter.

Waf
2007-04-10, 08:20 PM
I was more referring to the "extremely rare genus of flowers that only blooms around this area that is used in a great deal of magical compounds involving fire." But rashes are good too.

Alluvian
2007-04-10, 09:40 PM
Great comic. Hadn't seen it until today, going to have to go through and read it all.

Calamity
2007-04-11, 12:24 PM
Heh, the age old you must collect 10 whatevers to continue, even though they are of no/minor importance.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-11, 04:04 PM
I liked College Saga (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLrgxtALWs)'s solution to this. (Minute 10). (Alternatively, in the 4-part version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPutYwiiE0o) at the very end of part one/beginning of part two.

Waf
2007-04-11, 10:54 PM
My first thought on the most recent comic was if Antonio doesn't like meaningly collection quests he could just gameshark out of em.

Hemlock: I need 10 flowers before I go back to town. It appears you have collected 9E10000 flowers.

Robberbaron
2007-04-13, 08:42 PM
First game I thought of was Dragon Warrior on the NES, first RPG I played, or maybe I played King's Quest first, can't remember, oh well.

Green Bean
2007-04-15, 05:05 PM
No, early days were four. FF1, FF2j, and FF3j all had four characters in battle at a time, and those were all on the Famicom.

There were game systems before the PS1, FYI.

That is blasphemy, my good sir!

Mewtarthio
2007-04-19, 06:10 PM
Ah, good. We finally learn who was meant to equip those obscure weapons in the dwarven tunnels.

Enlong
2007-04-20, 09:48 AM
Ah yes, cards as weapons whose powers are never REALLY explained.

....Can they rename Hemlock as Sheena?

ElfLad
2007-04-20, 10:28 AM
Or Gambit or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 10:50 AM
Actually, I was just imagining that she'd be throwing the cards and causing papercuts.

ElfLad
2007-04-23, 09:05 PM
Man, killing off the comic's main character...

Does this Burlew fellow have a single original thought (http://legendary.comicgenesis.com/d/20061128.html)?

Waf
2007-04-23, 09:07 PM
Yeah I know, he janks your stick mans, now he kills the main character. Completely absurd. If he rezz's Roy or has him grow a little porn star mustache like Lionel you might have to take this to court.

Enlong
2007-04-25, 02:32 PM
By "be glad she's not a summoner", who d'you mean? Can't be Sheena, her summonings have, like, 23, mabye 30 sylables, tops. Whereas Hemlock rattles off a full paragraph of 53 sylables for a simple fire spell. God only knows what she does for higher-level spells!

Also, yeah! Who does Rich think he is? Nex thing you know, he'll be parodyinig console RPGs, too. Oh wait, yeah... grrr (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html)

ElfLad
2007-04-25, 02:40 PM
Well, in FF7, the Summon sequences took forever, although there wasn't really a single "Summoner"-class character.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-25, 02:42 PM
Final Fantasy VIII was worse, although you at least had something to do during the animations (hold select and spam square! This boosts the summon's attack power.

Why? You're playing Final Fantasy VIII, and you're asking me why about some little detail like this?! What about the plot? Aren't you curious about why anything happens there?)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-25, 05:53 PM
I must say, that was a great comic. (NOTE: If you are confused at all by what this is supposed to parody, contact your local copy of Tales of the Abyss.)

Also, is it just me, or does the face of the standard Impractibot resemble that of Evil Killer Death Spybot 5000 (from ADVENTURERS! (http://www.adventurers-comic.com)? (There must be only one robot designer between ADV! and Legendary...)

Enlong
2007-04-25, 09:29 PM
Just a note. I read through Jack of all Blades, and when I got to the links to other webcomics, I found this quote beneath the link to OotS

It's like someone took the artwork from Legendary and made a DnD comic about it.HAHAHAHAHA!

Enlong
2007-04-27, 08:56 PM
When Worlds Collide

"Welcome to Lakeport!"
"Welcome to Cliffport! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html)"
"Welcome to Corneria! (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010412)"

*Silent glares are exchanged*
*FFFTTT!*
The first shot is fired... and the War of NPCs, BEGINS!

O'course, we all know who'll win. Friggen Old Man and his Fireballs and his Wooden Swords....

Mewtarthio
2007-04-27, 09:47 PM
When Worlds Collide

"Welcome to Lakeport!"
"Welcome to Cliffport! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html)"
"Welcome to Corneria! (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010412)"

*Silent glares are exchanged*
*FFFTTT!*
The first shot is fired... and the War of NPCs, BEGINS!

[color=white]O'course, we all know who'll win. Friggen Old Man and his Fireballs and his Wooden Swords....[/url]

Another figure rushes forward to stop the carnage, screaming, "There are many guards in the castle!"

Meanwhile, barely paying any attention to the fight, a depressed figure in a bar simply remarks, "*sigh* Times are tough..."

Enlong
2007-04-27, 10:30 PM
paying no heed to the peaceloving guardsayer, an old man with a broadsword slays another old man, who bewilderdly screams "You the Repairman??!!" as he falls. The bladewielder holds his thirsty blade aloft and screams:

"I.... AM.... ERROR!!!"

P.S. oooh! RPGworld AND Legendary reference in one! Nice one

Not a Paladin
2007-04-27, 11:38 PM
P.S. oooh! RPGworld AND Legendary reference in one! Nice one

Did you just say "Legendary" when you meant "ADVENTURERS!"?

Waf
2007-04-28, 12:05 AM
Ah Lego, you are fast becoming the poor mans Webrunner. A noble endeavor indeed. I'm aiming for the poor man's Squidi myself.

ElfLad
2007-04-28, 12:15 AM
If you're talking Old School Squidi, good luck.

If you're talking Current Squidi, why?

Waf
2007-04-28, 12:23 AM
Old school, the one that made comics.

Scientivore
2007-04-28, 02:46 AM
The strip made me chuckle. I thought that the hover text -- "comic" -- was kind of funny too, though I can't really explain why.

Mewtarthio
2007-05-03, 08:09 PM
Heh. At first I thought the "??? Book" would be a reference to the original Super Mario RPG (my first RPG... or was it Earthbound?). In the Princess's room, if you search the place thoroughly enough, you can find an item called the "Princess's ???". The maid will then chide you and make you put it back in exchange for a Mushroom. Later, if you search the same place with the Princess in your party, Toadstool will actually yell at you and tell you to stop going through other people's things.

Apparently, I was close. I'd actually wanted Paper Mario, but never got it.

ElfLad
2007-05-03, 09:29 PM
Well, "??? Book" is actually a reference to Tales of Phantasia. One of the characters fights with books and he has a weapon called a "??? Book" where it's implied that it's a porn magazine. But risque references are found in many RPGs, i.e. SMRPG, Paper Mario, Miss Cloud in FF7, etc.

The reason I mentioned Paper Mario specifically is because that was the only one I didn't get right away. Like, one day, I just realized, "Oh, it's about porn." So it left a deeper impression on me. Yes, more scarring than seeing Cloud in a very pretty dress.

SITB
2007-05-04, 12:48 AM
Well, "??? Book" is actually a reference to Tales of Phantasia. One of the characters fights with books and he has a weapon called a "??? Book" where it's implied that it's a porn magazine. But risque references are found in many RPGs, i.e. SMRPG, Paper Mario, Miss Cloud in FF7, etc.

Well, in TOP ??? books are unidentified books that you need to use one rune bottle to see what they are. They range from porn magazine to the almighty Namco Gamer. And there are 2 in the game actually.

Not a Paladin
2007-05-04, 02:29 AM

The amusing thing about that "book" is how the official English translation of ToP censors it.

I don't imagine that very many people were convinced that it was a "current events magazine".:smallwink:

On a completely unrelated note, how can you have an "amulet of lesser invincibility"? You're either invincible or you aren't.

Turcano
2007-05-04, 02:37 AM
On a completely unrelated note, how can you have an "amulet of lesser invincibility"? You're either invincible or you aren't.

See, that's the thing about it: you're invincible, except for when you're not.

Scientivore
2007-05-04, 05:03 AM
The amusing thing about that "book" is how the official English translation of ToP censors it.

I don't imagine that very many people were convinced that it was a "current events magazine".:smallwink:

It could be a mis-translated "lesser amulet of invincibility", in which case the difference is in the quality of the chain. See True Magic (http://www.true-magic.com/comic/view.php?id=1) for a good example of how that makes a difference, followed by a brilliant example of how to overcome that deficiency, followed by a surprising example of how that could backfire.

Also, I found it disturbing that the shoulder devil turned out to be the one that I was agreeing with. Apparently I would be considered a bad influence in a console RPG world.

ElfLad
2007-05-04, 05:21 AM
Also, I found it disturbing that the shoulder devil turned out to be the one that I was agreeing with. Apparently I would be considered a bad influence in a console RPG world.

Proper deception depends greatly upon phrasing your request so that the person you're arguing with will agree with you. I believe the shoulder demon could possibly have an ulterior motive.

Giving objects of great power to any random guy on the street who asks for them is a great idea in console RPGs, as it tends to unlock sidequests or net you an even more powerful item in return. Not so much in real life, sadly, but I'm not all that disturbed that you just don't understand things from the perspective of a cRPG protagonist.

Waf
2007-05-04, 07:50 AM
Got Explosive Runes.

averagejoe
2007-05-04, 10:18 AM
Proper deception depends greatly upon phrasing your request so that the person you're arguing with will agree with you. I believe the shoulder demon could possibly have an ulterior motive.

Giving objects of great power to any random guy on the street who asks for them is a great idea in console RPGs, as it tends to unlock sidequests or net you an even more powerful item in return. Not so much in real life, sadly, but I'm not all that disturbed that you just don't understand things from the perspective of a cRPG protagonist.

That and it's better than having 1/32 soldier stuck uselessly in your inventory, or whatever.

Turcano
2007-05-06, 11:59 PM
I'm not too keen on the any but the most basic of tropes of CRPGs (the Zelda series and Paper Mario are pretty much the only ones I've played), but is it really that common for beggars to promise you valuable stuff if you give them things? I mean, you'd think that if they really did have anything of value that they're willing barter something for, they'd pawn it in order to fill a prescription from Dr. Jack Daniels.

Waf
2007-05-13, 12:46 AM
What you need is some sort of a wheel and fire puzzle that has to be figured out. For example, ancient temple. Has lanterns with fires going in them even though the temple hasn't had humans in it for a millennium. Then you gots some wooden wheel cranks that also haven't rotted enough to be unusable except the one in the front room that would open the boss door. Bad-da-bing, you gots yourself ancient temple design.

young
2007-05-13, 11:24 AM
What you need is some sort of a wheel and fire puzzle that has to be figured out. For example, ancient temple. Has lanterns with fires going in them even though the temple hasn't had humans in it for a millennium. Then you gots some wooden wheel cranks that also haven't rotted enough to be unusable except the one in the front room that would open the boss door. Bad-da-bing, you gots yourself ancient temple design.

I think I did that temple in Zelda...

Turcano
2007-05-15, 12:43 AM
I just have to say that the 3rd/6th panel connection in the most recent comic is awesome.

averagejoe
2007-05-15, 02:53 AM
I joined that not buying gas on May 15 thing, so I should probably be offended. Then again, I walk everywhere so I don't actually buy gas at all, or own a car, so maybe I shouldn't be. :smalltongue:

I've seen the vote incentive three or four times, and it still gives me incentive to vote. Gives a nice chuckle every time.

Scientivore
2007-05-16, 07:17 AM
That director's cut was totally "ouch". Not as bad as "hyporcrite" though.

ElfLad
2007-05-16, 11:44 AM
That director's cut was totally "ouch". Not as bad as "hyporcrite" though.

I never knew that "ouch" was a synonym for "awesome."

averagejoe
2007-05-16, 12:34 PM
It really isn't. I think your comic just hurt my brain. Irreperably.

Scientivore
2007-05-16, 05:14 PM
I just realized that replacing Antonio with Lionel would've made the remix even better more terrifyingly spot-on. I plead sleep dep to excuse the lag; I had insomnia and read it so late at night that it was already morning.

You know, sometimes I think that Mookie primarily took off DD's leg to justify him carrying a cane. The rest of the time I'm sure of it.

Not a Paladin
2007-05-16, 10:07 PM
My personal theory on the variable inn prices is that each town uses a different exchange rate for gold. That would also explain why you pay several times as much gold in each subsequent town for weapons and armour only slightly superior to the ones you already have...(how the shopkeeper in Luin justifies charging 40000 Gald for two pieces of folded paper is beyond me)

averagejoe
2007-05-16, 10:41 PM
MY theory on variable inn prices is that prices in general are supposed to scale with the amount of gold you get from enemies, just so you have, in theory, roughly equivilant wealth each level.

Mewtarthio
2007-05-22, 04:01 PM
...Is that a Brave Little Toaster reference?

---

Re: Inn-flation:

I always figured that it had something to do with how much stronger the monsters are later in the game. Anyone who can travel to the town without dying (ressurrections aside) is obviously very powerful and very wealthy. Therefore, the innkeepers know that their patrons will be capable of spending more money.

ElfLad
2007-05-22, 04:28 PM
...Is that a Brave Little Toaster reference?

Yup.

Best kids movie EVER, except The Incredibles.

Enlong
2007-05-23, 03:01 PM
Let me be the first to say, Yay! Next party member is here!

Scientivore
2007-05-25, 03:05 PM
The musical reference in #177: Looks like a yellow submarine to me, referencing the Beetles' classic hit about living in one. Man, they were weird.

ElfLad
2007-05-25, 03:43 PM
The musical reference in #177: Looks like a yellow submarine to me, referencing the Beetles' classic hit about living in one. Man, they were weird.

You have chosen... poorly...

Scientivore
2007-05-25, 03:47 PM
You have chosen... poorly...

Aww. :smallfrown: Well, at least I wasn't choosing a Grail.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-26, 02:24 AM
It's something to do with the 4:15 on the clock, I'm sure. Knowing you, it's probably referring to an equally obscure detail in a video, my gut says The Wall. However, I have only an amateurish knowledge of your beloved Psych Rock (and your equally beloved Metal), and only watched said Wall once, and was having enough trouble understanding the plot and lyrics without worrying about visual themes.

ElfLad
2007-05-26, 02:27 AM
The clock doesn't say 4:15. :smallconfused:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-26, 03:00 AM
I NEVER LEARNED TO COUNT!

5:15 then. Which sounds more like something I should know, for some reason.

Gez
2007-05-26, 03:50 AM
It's something to do with the [5:15] on the clock, I'm sure.

What The... Who would call a song 5:15? :smallconfused:

I hid the answer in the above post in a oh-so clever way. Go me!

In unrelated news, is that possibly the same reference in EGS as that's the hour Grace's alarm clock is set to (http://www.elgoonishshive.com/d/20070523.html)?

Enlong
2007-05-30, 06:29 PM
Y'know what's really funny about today's comic? There's an SNES RPG, Terranigma, spiritual successor to Illusion of Gaia, from the days when Enix was its own company, that takes place on our Earth (except, y'know, magic and stuff, like, Bloody Mary is some sorta zombie vampire sorceress or summat.) great game. Anyway, the map works like any other RPG map, so you literally can zap from Antarctica right to Alaska by sailing south. It's really freaky, man.

Mewtarthio
2007-06-05, 06:13 PM
Pity about the current comic. I had rather liked Hemlock. Now her entire family's going to get killed to set her on a quest for vengeance and conveniently sever all ties that may hamper her ability to traipse about performing pointless errands and occasionally stopping the real final boss.

Gez
2007-06-19, 05:04 PM
So tell me, ElfLad. The reason for your name is that you don't have a big brother, right? :smallbiggrin:

averagejoe
2007-06-19, 05:20 PM
Nah, he's sidekick to the superhero Elfman. :smallwink: