PDA

View Full Version : Useful for Homebrewers

Frathe
2013-02-08, 04:01 AM
My brother has written a Javascript program that can convert from text (whether HTML or from a word processor) into correspondingly formatted BBCode (the markup language this forum uses for posts). It can handle everything except for colored text. This should save a lot of work those who don't like entering tables.

The Mediafire link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g2yfcuc3tyui5vt. Download and save the zipped folder, right-click on the folder and extract the files, and then open "bber.html". Paste text to be converted into the top box and then hit the button.

Edit: In trying to be helpful, I'm assuming you're using Windows. You may have to unzip the folder some other way.

The tool is now online at http://d20tools.ucoz.com! No download necessary! Right now, because of the specific host, people using Internet Explorer will have to switch out of Compatibility mode (press F12 to get to the Developer Tools menu, then switch to the normal Internet Explorer mode).

If anyone wants to host this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Amechra
2013-02-08, 08:27 AM
What should be used for tables?

thethird
2013-02-08, 08:31 AM
Wow Awesome it works pretty well :biggrin:

I just copy pasted a table that I had in one of my Open Office documents and it converted it really well.

Deviston
2013-02-08, 09:47 AM
This is relevant to my interests.

DaTedinator
2013-02-08, 12:55 PM
Just gave it a test run. Works really well. This stands to be really helpful. Normally I just write everything I do in BBCode, which I don't mind doing; but it's a tremendous pain to scan back through stuff I've already written to check for tpyoes, eyeball balance, that sort of thing. This should make that way easier.

Give my thanks to your brother!

Frathe
2013-02-08, 02:06 PM
What should be used for tables?

I think pretty much any word processor works. I use Microsoft Word or Open Office, often to modify tables from online D&D resources.

Give my thanks to your brother!

I shall!

Frathe
2013-02-08, 07:59 PM
Here's an example of what it can do: before and after.

Word document
http://s7.postimage.org/syp2cq26z/bber_example.png

BBcode:Half-Dwarf

{table=head] | Half-Dwarf, 1st-Level Warrior

Size/Type: | Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)

Hit Dice: | 1d8+1 (5 hp)

Initiative: | +0

Speed: | 20 ft. in scale mail (4 squares); base speed 20 ft.

Armor Class: | 16 (+4 scale mail, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 16

Base Attack/Grapple: | +1/+2

Attack: | Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+1/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3)

Full Attack: | Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+1/×3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/×3)

Space/Reach: | 5 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks: | Half-dwarf traits

Special Qualities: | Darkvision 60 ft., half-dwarf traits

Saves: | Fort +3*, Ref +0*, Will -1*

Abilities: | Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8

Skills: | Appraise +1, Craft (blacksmithing) +1, Craft (stonemasonry) +1, Listen +2, Spot +2

Feats: | Weapon Focus (battleaxe)

Environment: | Temperate mountains

Organization: | Team (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (30-100 plus 30% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)

Challenge Rating: | ½

Treasure: | Standard

Alignment: | Often lawful good

Advancement: | By character class

Level Adjustment: | +0 [/table]

Half-dwarves usually inherit a well-blended mixture of their human parents’ height and versatility and their dwarf parents’ sturdy build and stolid nature.

Combat

Many half-dwarves specialize in melee combat, like their dwarvish parents, but others follow the paths of their human parents and become wizards or sorcerers. Like half-orcs, the race of the parent they are raised by varies, and so does their local social status—though unlike most half-orcs, sometimes both parents raise them together. Some dwarves, especially deep dwarves, view these “crossbreeds” as abominations.

Half-Dwarf Traits (Ex)

Half-dwarves possess the following racial traits.

Medium size. A half-dwarf’s base land speed is 20 feet. However, half-dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium armor or when carrying a medium load. Darkvision out to 60 feet. Stonecunning: This ability grants a half-dwarf a +1 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework. A half-dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as though actively searching, and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A half-dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Stability: Half-dwarves are unusually stable on their feet. A half-dwarf has a +2 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). +1 racial bonus on saving throws against poison. *Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here. +1 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects. *Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here. +1 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items. +1 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal. Dwarven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-dwarf is considered a dwarf. Half-dwarves, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect dwarves as their dwarf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by dwarves. Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-dwarf takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing, her highest-level class does not count.

The half-dwarf warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

sirpercival
2013-02-08, 08:08 PM
Anything that goes the other direction?

Frathe
2013-02-08, 08:10 PM
Anything that goes the other direction?

Well, it's easy to just copy formatted text that's been posted to the forum (or that's in preview mode, if it's yours and you don't want to actually post it) and just paste that into any word processor.

Frathe
2013-02-08, 08:18 PM
The tool is now online at http://d20tools.ucoz.com! No download necessary! Right now, because of the specific host, people using Internet Explorer will have to switch out of Compatibility mode (press F12 to get to the Developer Tools menu, then switch to the normal Internet Explorer mode).

If anyone wants to host this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-08, 08:29 PM
Holy crap this is the greatest thing ever.