PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cavestalker PrC entry question

Lortharian Duin
2013-02-08, 11:45 AM
Hello all!

Cavestalker (Drow of the Underdark, page: 68), to me, has somewhat confusing format in its prerequisites:
Special: The candidate must have natural darkvision to allow successful navigation of Underdark tunnels.

So "natural darkvision", what does that even mean? Do I need a race that has Darkvision as racial bonus to enter this PrC?
Can Cavestalker's prerequisite be content via Dark template (Cormyr The Tearing of the Weave, page: 152), which, among other awesome stuff, gives darkvision, 60 ft. of it.

I think developers could've just said:" a drow is needed to satisfy needs of this prestige class." and they didn't. Instead they made my human ranger confused.

I guess I need RAW interpretation about this particular problem.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-08, 11:52 AM
In my opinion, "natural" darkvision is derived from the creature's race or an inherited template (meaning the creature was born with it). Alternatively, you could say it meant any darkvision which is a part of the creature (rather than from a spell or item or class ability), which would allow you to include templates gained later in life.

It definitely does NOT include darkvision gained from magic, equipment, or class features.

Vaz
2013-02-08, 11:55 AM
Darkvision as Ex. Ability

Plus it does n't just mean drow only: monstrous humanoids and outsiders have that.

@Killian, what about a Magical Item or spell which provides the template? That train of thought is a bit off.

Lortharian Duin
2013-02-08, 12:06 PM
In my opinion, "natural" darkvision is derived from the creature's race or an inherited template (meaning the creature was born with it). Alternatively, you could say it meant any darkvision which is a part of the creature (rather than from a spell or item or class ability), which would allow you to include templates gained later in life.

It definitely does NOT include darkvision gained from magic, equipment, or class features.

As I thought, but Dark template, from said source, was actually inherited by my character, as written in source:

"Dark" is acquired or inherited template that can be added to any creature.

EDIT for question: Would inherited Dark template count for "natural darkvision"?

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-08, 12:33 PM
I would allow it. But really that's just my opinion.

The problem here is that "natural darkvision" (or "natural" anything) isn't specifically defined anywhere in the rules, so I can't give you a definitive answer.

Lortharian Duin
2013-02-08, 12:47 PM

The problem here is that "natural darkvision" (or "natural" anything) isn't specifically defined anywhere in the rules, so I can't give you a definitive answer.

Indeed, if it is defined I can't seem to find it. Thanks for your help.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 06:26 PM

I would say so long as it can't be dispelled by a Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic, then I would count it as part of the Creature and not part of some Magic that is on it. So if this were my campaign I would say Yes. Definitely.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-08, 06:35 PM
The flavor of the PrC seems to imply that a potential entrant would have to be very familiar with navigating in the dark with darkvision, since the class extends this flavor into a variety of abilities that improve navigation without the aid of normal sight.

Thus, the DM might justifiably rule out darkvision acquired through class levels or acquired templates, since the entrant hasn't been used to having darkvision since birth. Magical effects are right out, even if permanent. A more lenient DM might allow acquired templates, but class features are pretty suspect for "natural" stuff. No amount of leniency should allow magically-enabled darkvision to qualify.

To the OP, that template ability sounds like it qualifies you for the PrC.