PDA

View Full Version : Sightblinder - 3.5 homebrew bigbad/minions

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-08, 12:03 PM
Ok, I have a 3.5 homebrew heavy world I am running a game in and I thought it would be helpful to get feedback on the big bad of the setting.

The idea is that the game setting is floating islands, with the planes existing as zones that can be physically traveled to. The far realms are when you go too high and leave existence, or too low and pass the storm barrier.

Sightblinder is the aberration that rules the deep.

The idea is that he is a force of pure truth and lies. He inspires fanaticism in his converts, but cannot create anything himself or even enter the world. His touch grants the ability to see the truth, but nothing else. Your eyes go white and cloudy and you loose the ability to see. He is sickens and corrupts what he touches.

His blind seers are the force that is showing up and sewing chaos and bad stuff among the factions already braced for war.

The idea is that it works as a template that has increasing effects as you gain HD.

Type and subtype remain the same, but you gain the sightblinded subtype, allowing you to count as an aberration for qualifying for feats, spell targeting/effects, and qualifying for classes as well as whatever your base type.
Also you gain the following based on your HD
HD 1-5
You can a insight bonus to your sense motive skill = to your HD.
You take a penelty to spot = to your HD.
You gain blindsense = HD*5ft
You gain Iron Will and blind-fight
HD 6-10
You go blind, and cannot make spot checks.
You gain blindsight out to HD*5ft
You gain blindsense out to HD*10ft
You loose 1 hp per HD
You gain immunity to poison and disease.
HD 11+
You gain the effects of trueseeing out to 15ft in all directions through your blindsight.
You gain the Sightblinders touch special attack - a melee touch attack that deals both a poison and a disease effect seperatly. The poison is DC (10+1/2HD+con) and the initial effect is murky eyes (You treat all illumination as shadowy) and 1 point wis damage and a secondary effect of blindness for 1 hour and 1 wis drain. Any effect that cures blindness will remove the murky eye effect. The disease effect has the same save and an incubation of 1 hour. The disease causes 1 wis drain and renewed blindness every failed save, and requires two successful saves to become cured. Any effect that would cure disease or break curses will end the disease effect.
This ability can be used Con modifier times per day.
The base creature sickens at this point, and takes -2 to fortitude saves.

This template is CR+0

Does this sound like realistic CR modification?

Also Dragons. I want to make dragons more elemental and non-standardized in my game, so I have some alternate breath weapons that will show up that I wanted thoughts on. They are replacement breath weapons for dragons and use the black dragon age categories for dragon HD/xD6.

Poison spit - The dragon can make a cone/line of numbing poison. All targets in a cone/line are hit by a contact poison that quickly dissipates. The save is the equivalent save of a breath weapon and deals 1 point of strength, dex, and wisdom damage as a primary and secondary effect.

Telekenetic Attacks - The dragon looses it's breath weapon entirely, but gains a natural weapon slams per 2D6 of damage their breath would normally have with. These slams have a reach - to the distance a cone breath weapon would normally extend. To use these attacks the dragon must take a standard action to focus and can only do so if psionicly focused. These attacks cannot be used for AoO, cannot be added to full attacks, and are limited in uses by the same delay the dragons breath weapon would normally have. Each slam uses the dragons BAB+Int for it's attack bonus and deals 2d6+Int bludgeoning damage. These attacks count as melee attacks for feats such as power attack and a weapon for feats such as weapon focus. The dragon may choose to use these attacks to initiate combat maneuvers, but uses his Int in place of any stat for checks, and looses it's size modifier. The dragon is not required to move to use bullrush or other maneuvers so long as the target stays within the dragons telekenetic reach.

Trollblooded Dragon - This dragon is particularly hard to kill. It gains regeneration = to the d6's it's breath attack would normally have. It is weak to ether fire, acid, cold, or electricity determined by the element of dragon. The dragon gaines +2 str and con, -4 Int and Wis. The dragon can also rage as a barbarian once per age category. It looses it's racial spellcasting and good will save.

Debihuman
2013-02-09, 12:02 PM
First, that template is nowhere near LA +0. It is like LA +2 or more depending on your HD. This is why making Templates that scale aren't always a good idea.

You gain 2 feats and 2 immunities despite being blind you gain blightsight, blindsense and true seeing (which ameliorates being blind).

You lose 1 hp per HD. Is this permanent or temporary? Unless the base creature is a 1 hit point critter, it's not an issue. This can be made up with the Improved Toughness feat for those at higher levels and regular Toughness for those at lower levels.

I'd like to see you stat out a creature with this template just if I gauged it correctly. I recommend that you start with an 1st level warrior with the elite array. He whould start the average hit points -- 4 hit points and drop to 3 when you apply this template. This just gets you a closer idea of how this template looks.

I have a few issues with your proposed dragon.

A poison spit that is a cone or line would be a breath weapon of poison gas and not a spit at all. See my pumpkin imp for an example of spitting with poison.

A telekinetic attack is a ranged touch attack not a slam attack. Slam mean it hits you with a part of its body. The amount of damage a dragon would do should depend on the size of the dragon. Bigger dragons do more more damage.

Troll-blooded looks good.

A sample dragon would be nice to see.

Debby

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-09, 04:08 PM
The HP loss is a loss of maximum HP, not current.

The template is not for player characters, so I didn't give it a LA. The issue that concerns me is the CR, mostly for a HD to HD comparison to the party. Do any of the abilities look like things that would significantly increase the danger of a creature.

I will stat out a few creature later.

Debihuman
2013-02-10, 01:55 PM
Base creature CR +1 or +2 at higher levels. It depends on the HD.

How do you lose a hit point from maximum hit points if you don't have maximum hit points? That's no loss at all. Adversaries will always have average hit points so you would have to subtract from that, and not from the total or it is meaningless.

Debby

enderlord99
2013-02-10, 02:28 PM
Base creature CR +1 or +2 at higher levels. It depends on the HD.

How do you lose a hit point from maximum hit points if you don't have maximum hit points? That's no loss at all. Adversaries will always have average hit points so you would have to subtract from that, and not from the total or it is meaningless.

Debby

I think he meant "maximum" as in "undamaged," not as in "whatever you could have gotten at level-up/char-gen"

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-10, 05:06 PM
Here is a sample dragon. The idea is that dragons are born to rule an element, and while each dragon is unique, there are general element they are born to. I want the players to stop and think before just attacking dragons. They should seek out intel about the nature of this particular dragon and it's abilities, rather than having them all color coded for easy application of resist energy.

Juvenile psionic earth dragon
Medium - type Dragon(true), subtype (earth)
HD - 13d12+26 (110)
Str 17
Dex 10
Con 15
Int 10
wis 11
cha 10
Bab/grap +13/+16
Attack +16
Fort +10
Refl +8
Will+8
Move - 60 ft, fly 40 ft. (perfect), Burrow 5ft(May leave tunnel), climb 60ft
Initiative +0
Def - 22 (+12 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 22
Natural Weapons - Bite 2d6, claw 1d8 x 2
Space / reach 5ft/5ft
Languages - Draconic, Terran, Common.
CR 8, CR with elementals 9.

Special abilities

Dragon traits - Darkvision 60ft, low light vision, draconic immunities.

Wingless flight - As a earth dragon, this creature does not possess wings, but rather flies though pure force of will and draconic power. Effects that suppress magic items can be used to suppress the flight ability of this dragon.
The dragon lacks wing attacks

Large Fangs and Claws - Though this dragon lacks wings, it's claw attacks and bite are treated as one size larger for determining base damage.

Telekinetic slam - In place of a breath weapon, this dragon can take a standard action to preform four telekinetic attacks with a range of 30ft. These attacks have an attack bonus of BaB + int (12) and are NOT touch attacks. They deal 2d6+int damage each. These attacks can be used to preform combat maneuvers such as bullrushes, sunders, trips, and disarms. When doing so the dragon looses any size modifier it may have and uses Int in place of str or dex for any stat check. After using this ability, the dragon must wait 1d4 rounds before using this ability again.

Spellcasting - This dragon does not have spellcasting yet.

King of the Earth - This dragon has the granted power of the earth domain, and may turn or destroy air creatures and rebuke or control earth creatures. A Juvenile earth dragon is normally in control of up to 3 medium earth elementals. All earth elementals start with a helpful disposition to an earth dragon. Air elementals start unfriendly.

Earth Mastery - The dragon gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

Vulnerability to electrical damage. An earth dragon takes 1.25x the normal damage from any electrical damage.

Immunity to acid - an earth dragon is immune to acid damage.

Burrow - The dragon can claw it's way through even solid rock like putty. Stone bends and molds in it's claws. The dragon can burrow 5 ft as a move action, ether leaving a tunnel or not as desired, through any stone or earth. It cannot burrow through metal or wood.

Stonecunning: This ability grants the dragon a +8 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A earth dragon who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and an earth dragon can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. An earth dragon can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. This also grants a +8 racial bonus on all craft checks having to do with stone or earth.

This dragon is a sleek brown reptile, the size of large man. It lacks wings, but it has enlarged claws and fangs. It can float effortlessly through the air, from surface to surface, though it prefers to move by nimbly walking across walls. It combat it seeks to draw it's prey into dangerous areas and throw them from cliffs. Failing that the dragon will attempt to corner the foes in a narrow tunnel where the dragon can tear them apart one at a time as his elemental minions flank from the walls.

Earth dragons are solitary creatures found on rocky and mountainous islands, commonly near areas of rich metals. They carve intricate tunnel systems to nest in.

Alternate breath abilities for earth dragons.

Sonic blast - This dragon can give off a line of sonic destruction. This effect is deals 8d4(xd6) sonic damage in a 30ft line. This effect damages all characters, structures, and unattended objects in the area, and ignores hardness and passes through even total cover such as solid walls. A force effect will stop this weapon, but no non-magical material will prevent it from passing through. Creatures effected by this effect can make a reflex save for half damage. One the dragon has used this ability it must wait 1d4 rounds before the ability can be used again.

Acid Cone - This dragon can spray a 30 cone of acid dealing 8d6(xd6) acid damage to all in the area, reflex for half. One the dragon has used this ability it must wait 1d4 rounds before the ability can be used again.

Shadow Breath - This dragon can breath a cone of darkness, the cone deals 4(Xd6/2) points of wisdom damage to any caught in the initial area of effect, will save negates, and leaves a cloud of supernatural darkness. The is a darkness effect with a spell level of 4(1 per age catagory). All lines of sight passing through the cloud are treated as shadowy illumination, regardless of any better light conditions on the other side as the cloud actually absorbs some of all light that passes through it. When used in already shadowy light, the effect creates total darkness. The cloud remains for 8(xd6) rounds. The dragon is immune to the light effects and can see inside it's own cloud as if it had dark vision. Targets that enter the cloud after the initial effect are NOT effected by wisdom damage.

Thoughts?

Debihuman
2013-02-10, 09:29 PM
It's probably fine fine for your personal campaign but it wouldn't work for most DMs. A 13 HD dragon w/Str 17 would be similar to a Juvenile White Dragon (12 HD and Str 17).

It's missing feats. There's no Str bonus to attacks? Which attack is primary?

4 telekinetic slams + 13 ranged (2d6) belongs in the stat block somewhere. Note: your creature has Int 10 not 12 and so gets no bonus from Int.

Special Abilities have a designator: Ex, Sp or Su.

Telekinetic Slam (Su): In place of a breath weapon, this dragon can take a standard action to perform four telekinetic attacks with a range of 30 feet. These attacks have an attack bonus of BAB + Intelligence modifier and are not touch attacks. They deal 2d6+Intelligence modifier damage each. These attacks can be used to perform combat maneuvers such as bullrushes, sunders, trips, and disarms. When doing so, the dragon loses any size modifier it may have and uses Int in place of Str or Dex for any stat check. After using this ability, the dragon must wait 1d4 rounds before using this ability again.

Generally with special abilities, there is a save to avoid the damage or to halve. If there is no save, you should state this.

Debby

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-11, 08:30 AM
I am trying to follow the rule for spells that you get a save or an attack roll.

Also, while this dragon gets no bonus for int, it would likely use it's triple treasure value to get a headband of intellect +2 or +4, though this is not included in the stat block.

The stats are pulled from the black dragon blocks, and I increased the CR to account for extra abilities.