PDA

View Full Version : Using a Tablet at the Table

TimeWizard
2013-02-08, 03:22 PM
Does any one in the Playground use a tablet when they play their RPG of choice? I have a lot of books I usually leave at the GM's house, but I was thinking of getting a Nexus 7 and downloading all the PDFs of books I own for convenience, as well as some kind of interactable character sheets. Have you guys and gals had any success with that?

Another one for discussion: is a 7" display sufficient or should I got with a laptop screen sized 12"-14"? assuming I'm only using it for game night, Tvtropes and Reddit.

1337 b4k4
2013-02-08, 03:31 PM
I keep most of my books on an iPad, and keep the hard copies for the players. As long as your PDFs are well bookmarked and whatever reading app you're using has a good search feature it works great. If your PDFs aren't well bookmarked, you can bookmark them yourself using this software http://flavianopetrocchi.blogspot.com/

As to screen size, to be honest, I find even the iPad screen to be just this side of too small. It's almost the size of a sheet of paper, but it's off just enough to make it so that sometimes I have to zoom in to read a table or chart. Also be sure you get a tablet that you can easily tun the orientation lock on as some PDFs print their charts landscape. I would get the bigger tablet screen size (10 or 11 inch) if you can afford it

Amaril
2013-02-08, 03:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, using electronics at the game table is acceptable as long as you don't use digital die-rolling apps. To roleplay without dice is blasphemy. Blasphemy, I say!

BlckDv
2013-02-08, 03:40 PM
In the 4e game I DM, one player uses iPlay4e on his Smartphone, one uses some kind of spiffy PDF markup App on his Ipad 2, one uses Char Builder on a little 12" Laptop, and 3 use classic paper and pencil with notecards.

Everyone is quite happy, although the digital guys have found that by comparing notes some of options work better for some PCs. Our way too multiclassed Half Elf Emissary bard does not work well in iPlay4e for example.

Overall it seems to mainly come down to what is fast and comfortable for you, if you can try to borrow someone else's device and see how size/presentation options feel to you before you lay out cash.

TimeWizard
2013-02-08, 03:56 PM
As to screen size, to be honest, I find even the iPad screen to be just this side of too small. It's almost the size of a sheet of paper, but it's off just enough to make it so that sometimes I have to zoom in to read a table or chart. Also be sure you get a tablet that you can easily tun the orientation lock on as some PDFs print their charts landscape. I would get the bigger tablet screen size (10 or 11 inch) if you can afford it

Duly Noted. Thanks for the size input.

As far as I'm concerned, using electronics at the game table is acceptable as long as you don't use digital die-rolling apps. To roleplay without dice is blasphemy. Blasphemy, I say!

I said I was pdf-curious, not that I was a heathen spawn of Arenji, dark goddess of probability.

Amaril
2013-02-08, 06:16 PM
I said I was pdf-curious, not that I was a heathen spawn of Arenji, dark goddess of probability.

I have not heard of this.

Joe the Rat
2013-02-08, 08:17 PM
I have not heard of this.

Separate the syllables. I'm gonna have to use that one somewhere.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-08, 09:04 PM
Arenji = Arr Enn Gee = RNG => Random Number Generator

Online dice rollers are random number generators.

*flies away*

Winter_Wolf
2013-02-08, 09:14 PM
Eh, I don't know if I'd be down for tablets at the table. If only because I've yet to see a tablet (affordable anyway) that was large enough to be comfortable to spend much time looking at PDFs of rule books. Now if they came out with an affordable tablet that was the size of the average D&D/PF hardback, then I'd probably be more on board with it.

But I'm heavily biased toward being able to enjoy the feel of a physical book. Plus I've never had a book run out of battery in the middle of using it. Then again a tablet just weighs so much less than 5-8 rule books.

killem2
2013-02-08, 11:46 PM
I use my laptop as a player, helps tons.

Kindle Fire is awesome too.

obryn
2013-02-08, 11:55 PM
I use a program called Masterplan to do ... well, everything ... for me. It's pretty incredible. And yes, that means rolling dice and doing my math, because I want to leverage everything I can to make my job both fast and easy-peasy.

But that's on my laptop. I also have a Nexus 7, and it's seen no actual in-game use. I have a few dice rollers and programs, but not a one has been actually decent for helping me in-game.

-O

valadil
2013-02-08, 11:57 PM
I'm a grognard and I'm opposed. I haven't actually seen a tablet at the table, but I've seen plenty of smartphones and laptops. Even with the best intentions, it's only a matter of time before a text, email, or IM pops up. Or you're down and out in combat, so Facebook happens. As soon as one player is getting away with Angry Birds, anyone else using a smartphone benignly will try to get away with it too.

Anyway, I think a blanket no tech policy is going to be easier than letting players have their tech, but keeping it game related. I'd be okay with a GM using a tablet, but I also think the GM should lead by example. Saying only I can use my iPad is hypocritical.

E-readers are probably fine since all you do with those is read, but I don't think they'd handle RPG books very well. I can try my Nook if anyone is interested.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-09, 12:04 AM
With my laptop, it doesn't cause any additional problems, and lets me look up spells and rules. If I'm engaged, I'm in the game and not in the screen.

If I'm not engaged by the game (i.e. Complete DM-failure, chronic party-split), then it doesn't matter much whether I'm dice-stacking, checking facebook, or daydreaming. I wouldn't be paying attention anyway.

mjlush
2013-02-09, 05:38 AM
I keep my campaign records (diary, NPC and PC pages, locations, maps,history, timeline etc) in a wiki, anything in the wiki is considered player knowledge (and is player editable). So having computers at the table is very useful....

OTOH my GM notes are all written longhand I find it harder to create onto a computer

HC Rainbow
2013-02-09, 06:25 AM
Does any one in the Playground use a tablet when they play their RPG of choice? I have a lot of books I usually leave at the GM's house, but I was thinking of getting a Nexus 7 and downloading all the PDFs of books I own for convenience, as well as some kind of interactable character sheets. Have you guys and gals had any success with that?

Another one for discussion: is a 7" display sufficient or should I got with a laptop screen sized 12"-14"? assuming I'm only using it for game night, Tvtropes and Reddit.

I mix and match with the books and my galaxy note 2 phone. Have all the pdfs on my phone, just in case I need to look something up. Plus I have tons of search features on it to make it fast. So yes its useful.

koboldish
2013-02-09, 10:37 PM
I second using real dice, but having a laptop on hand is really helpful. Just make sure not to download any books you don't own, or the law enforcement will eat you. There are lots of things, like interactive character sheets, and dungeon mappers, that make running a game and playing much easier.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-10, 12:04 AM
Die rollers are also nice for those times you need to roll 200d6 and aren't insane enough to roll it in meatspace. And for when you don't want your players knowing you're rolling dice.

Alleran
2013-02-10, 11:42 PM
Die rollers are also nice for those times you need to roll 200d6 and aren't insane enough to roll it in meatspace. And for when you don't want your players knowing you're rolling dice.
Actually, I find that rolling dice behind a screen where the players can't see what it is or what it's for can be very interesting in terms of observational psychology.

One time I did it in a high level game, the wizard player immediately terminated his astral projection and went into hiding on his demiplane, without even knowing what the roll was for. :smallbiggrin:

Arbane
2013-02-11, 03:04 PM
One of the players in the PF game I'm in has all the books on PDF. Very useful when we need to look something up, and she likes it.

Friv
2013-02-11, 04:56 PM
My group makes pretty heavy use of computers at the gaming table, and two of them have tablets; I like them more because they don't create a wall between the player and the rest of the group (although as GM, my laptop makes a wonderful GM screen...)

I agree... unless you're playing Exalted, because goddamn it getting thirty-one D10s together to roll four times for your attack is just a pain in the butt.

Eldonauran
2013-02-11, 05:15 PM
I bring a tablet to the table. iPad 2. I use Goodreader to manage all my pdf files. It does a lot of other file types too and I can download stuff directly to it from its internal web viewer.

As a DM, it is a life saver. I bring the Core Rulebooks with me when playing (3.5 PHB, DMG and Pathfinder just the Core) and use the tablet for anything else. All my pdf files are properly bookmarked and I never had to swipe more than five or six pages to find what I need, and with my animations cranked up (thank you jailbreaks) I rarely have to wait very long for a page to render.

As a player, I find it useful as well. I usually build a custom PDF file that lists all the abilities for my character in an easy to read/navigate way. I rarely, if ever, have to crack open a book during gameplay.

Besides, I dont like lugging around several hundred pounds of books.

TypoNinja
2013-02-11, 05:16 PM
I'm a grognard and I'm opposed. I haven't actually seen a tablet at the table, but I've seen plenty of smartphones and laptops. Even with the best intentions, it's only a matter of time before a text, email, or IM pops up. Or you're down and out in combat, so Facebook happens. As soon as one player is getting away with Angry Birds, anyone else using a smartphone benignly will try to get away with it too.

I use a laptop at game, actually a little netbook, since it was going in a bookbag small and light were priorities for me.

To address your concern I deliberately did not install any messaging apps or the like to it, I purchased it to help with note taking and general D&D tasks (yea for offline versions of the SRD!) so I simply choose to never put anything not related to that on it. Obviously dedicated hardware isn't an option for everybody but its worked quite well for me.

I went with a netbook over a tablet because I decided that with the amount of notes I'd be taking a full keyboard would be a major asset, a netbook (10inch screen) instead of full laptop because its small enough to share table space without being an obstacle or barrier. I've seen guys with full size laptops at the table, they disappear behind them. Possibly an asset for the DM, just plan rude in my opinion for a player though.

Other people in my group have run the spectrum, its possible to play from just a smart phone with a PDF viewer, but play only, editing the character sheet tends to be rather cumbersome. Bonus points if shaking your phone makes the dicerolling app work though.

I've seen full laptops, aside from the problem that I feel like it separates people from the table/group they work quite well naturally, depending on the programs you are using of course.

Fullsized tablets work alright, though I feel like tablets are better at displaying information than accepting input of it.

Battery life on just about everything has come up, Our weekly D&D game is about 7 hours, so far me and my netbook are the only ones who haven't required a recharge, but my netbook has truly impressive battery life, primary reason I choose it.

yougi
2013-02-11, 05:44 PM
In the two games I play in, the DMs have their laptops/tablets to refer to for more obscure things, or for when we level and we don't have all the books on hand. The players don't need anything. It's worked out perfectly.

The game I DM, however, everyone has a tablet for their spell lists, and it ends up being a problem that I have to figure out soon.

Myself, I use my iPod to read PDFs, but then again it's just to confirm some stuff, not to read parts out.

Scow2
2013-02-11, 06:02 PM
Tablets and Instant Messaging are great if you're in a campaign that uses secret notes!

TypoNinja
2013-02-11, 08:24 PM
The game I DM, however, everyone has a tablet for their spell lists, and it ends up being a problem that I have to figure out soon.

This is a life saver, can list my spells, easily edit them, note which ones I've cast, and a nice little SpC pg## note to go refer to the exact text for the spells that do strange things.

yougi
2013-02-11, 08:44 PM
This is a life saver, can list my spells, easily edit them, note which ones I've cast, and a nice little SpC pg## note to go refer to the exact text for the spells that do strange things.

It is indeed incredibly helpful, allows you to also make lists: "average day", "travel day", "indoors", "combat heavy". But it's also a problem when people use it whenever they have an extra 45 seconds, and then go "sorry, wasn't listening".

TheThan
2013-02-11, 09:24 PM
I’ve used one before, and the problem I had is that it kept switching into power saver mode or whatever in-between my use of it, and me talking to my players. Other than that, I found it just fine, very handy for storing a lot of books, keeping your notes, providing pics for players of just about anything or everything.

I don’t recommend everyone have tech at the table, its FAR too easy for it to become a distraction, but I’ve had great effect with one laptop at the table, for taking notes (most people’s handwriting is atrocious), looking up rules on the fly etc.

That being said, I prefer hard copies of rule books. One there’s nothing like flipping pages, and looking at them on your shelf and realizing how much cash you’ve blown on this silly hobby.

that being said, if your the type that gets alot of calls. simply turn off your phone, or contact everyone and tell them you're not going to be available for a few hours on X-day should help with cutting that down to a minimum. as I personally HATE phone calls at the table.

TypoNinja
2013-02-12, 05:00 PM
It is indeed incredibly helpful, allows you to also make lists: "average day", "travel day", "indoors", "combat heavy". But it's also a problem when people use it whenever they have an extra 45 seconds, and then go "sorry, wasn't listening".

I think it really depends on the person, most of my group (including me, I hope!:P) is pretty good about it, we had one guy though who just couldn't focus if his tech was in front of him.

One of the solutions I've seen is broadly "If you weren't paying attention neither was your character" though I'm not personally convinced it's a good option.

Surfnerd
2013-02-13, 09:28 AM
I've also been considering getting a tablet of some kind to use at the table. I currently have an iphone I use, which I don't mind looking up rules on outside the game but I noticed i basically press my face into the phone to find what I'm looking for. It also doesn't help I usually get swept off on research tangents.

So on the note of tech distraction at the last session when I was researching some spell info(for probably a bit too long) I started an epidemic of tech distraction. It could have been the late part of the night coupled with phones being out, but I could see similar issues arising with a table of tablets.

I have wifi at my house but I don't let the players use it with their phones as I'm sure unlimited access to the internet would increase distraction. We play pathfinder, and the first printing of the rulebook had shoddy binding IMHO so no one ever brings their book to sessions.

Andreaz
2013-02-13, 11:08 AM
As far as I'm concerned, using electronics at the game table is acceptable as long as you don't use digital die-rolling apps. To roleplay without dice is blasphemy. Blasphemy, I say!I use die rolling apps that I made by myself...

Deepbluediver
2013-02-13, 01:24 PM
I like to take notes when playing, for which I find a laptop to be the most useful because it has a real keyboard. A tablet would work, too, I guess, but I concur about the screen size; bigger is better.

Oh that's hilarious, gonna need to remember that one.

DigoDragon
2013-02-14, 08:31 AM
I have a kindle that I load up with background music and reference images to use for the adventure. Particularly useful in more math-heavy systems like GURPS for quick calculations.
It's pretty handy for little details like that.

cosmicAstrogazr
2013-02-14, 01:51 PM
Pretty much everyone in my games uses some sort of electronic doodad. It makes things very easy, for reasons everyone else already stated, especially as a DM, I can just keep copies of the party's character sheets open, and roll in secret, and IM the rouge that she hears something that nobody else does, and watch the rest of the party jump. :smallbiggrin: (Holy run on sentence, Batman.)