PDA

View Full Version : Ubercharger critque

Garagos
2013-02-08, 03:50 PM
I was bored the other day and decided to start working on a new character concept for the next campaign I'll play in. I've read about Uberchargers but never tried one, so I thought I'd give it a shot. We usually tend to play Forgotten Realms campaigns and I prefer races with no LA. Here's what I've got so far, let me know if there is anything I should change:

Race: Human

Classes: Barbarian8/Fighter2/Leaping Berserker10*

*Homebrew prestige class, gets Leap Attack feat at level 6 in the class and improved power attack similar to Frenzied Berserker.

Feats:
Human: Power Attack
1st: Instantaneous Rage (required for Prc)
2nd: Improved Bull Rush (Fighter bonus feat)
3rd: Cleave
6th: Shock Trooper
9th: Improved Sunder
12th: Combat Brute
15th: Improved Critical
17th: Endurance (Fighter bonus feat)
18th: Steadfast Determination

Skill Tricks: Extreme Leap, Twisted Charge (possibly)

ACFs: Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce, and Trapfinding from Dungeonscape because I find it funny.

Main Weapon: Either Greataxe or Greatsword, haven't decided yet. I'll try and get Valorous and/or Collision on it asap.

I'd like to keep Steadfast Determination since I'll be making Will saves not to attack friends in some cases. I took Imp Crit because I couldn't think of anything better, so if someone knows of another good feat I could take I'm open to suggestions there.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 06:11 PM
I was bored the other day and decided to start working on a new character concept for the next campaign I'll play in. I've read about Uberchargers but never tried one, so I thought I'd give it a shot. We usually tend to play Forgotten Realms campaigns and I prefer races with no LA. Here's what I've got so far, let me know if there is anything I should change:

*Homebrew prestige class, gets Leap Attack feat at level 6 in the class and improved power attack similart to Frenzied Berserker.

Feats:

ACFs: Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce, and Trapfinding from Dungeonscape because I find it funny.

Main Weapon: Either Greataxe or Greatsword, haven't decided yet. I'll try and get Valorous and/or Collision on it asap.

I'd like to keep Steadfast Determination since I'll be making Will saves not to attack friends in some cases. I took Imp Crit because I couldn't think of anything better, so if someone knows of another good feat I could take I'm open to suggestions there.

A small tip might be to see if you can get your hands on a Minotaur Great Hammer, 1d12 19-20x4. Improved crit would knock that to 17-20x4. and x4 is a bit crazy. but a good chunk of those are good feats. Any reason for Endurance though? Prereq for Steadfast Determination correct?

SowZ
2013-02-08, 06:13 PM
Ditch Endurance. Grab Tireless. Tireless is a cool feat that counts as Endurance for the sake of pre-reqs but isn't useless. Tireless makes you immune to fatigue, (which incidentally lets you sleep in your armor AND not get fatigued after raging!) I still would never take Tireless on its own, but it is definitely better than Endurance.

Also, go Frenzied Beserker. The extra attack with pounce will be lethal.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 06:17 PM
Ditch Endurance. Grab Tireless. Tireless is a cool feat that counts as Endurance for the sake of pre-reqs but isn't useless. Tireless makes you immune to fatigue, (which incidentally lets you sleep in your armor AND not get fatigued after raging!) I still would never take Tireless on its own, but it is definitely better than Endurance.

Also, go Frenzied Beserker. The extra attack with pounce will be lethal.

Not to mention I'm not sure if his homebrew class has a frenzy ability equal to that of the frenzied berserker but the increase in damage and chance to hit would make his power attack DEFINITELY worth it.

SowZ
2013-02-08, 06:42 PM
Not to mention I'm not sure if his homebrew class has a frenzy ability equal to that of the frenzied berserker but the increase in damage and chance to hit would make his power attack DEFINITELY worth it.

I actually meant to say Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. Frenzied Beserker is pretty cool, too, though. But your Homebrew PrC may fit your fluff better, I don't know.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 06:48 PM
I actually meant to say Whirling Frenzy Barbarian. Frenzied Beserker is pretty cool, too, though. But your Homebrew PrC may fit your fluff better, I don't know.

Ohhhh right right. But the problem with that one is whirling frenzy cant be used during another form of frenzy or rage. Just find a wizzy buddy with haste. the frenzy doesnt stack with haste.

Problem with Frenzied Berserker is you better have a good will save Lol.

SowZ
2013-02-08, 06:52 PM
Ohhhh right right. But the problem with that one is whirling frenzy cant be used during another form of frenzy or rage. Just find a wizzy buddy with haste. the frenzy doesnt stack with haste.

Problem with Frenzied Berserker is you better have a good will save Lol.

Sure, yeah, it might not synergize with his homebrew class.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 06:55 PM

*Homebrew prestige class, gets Leap Attack feat at level 6 in the class and improved power attack similart to Frenzied Berserker.

Feats:

Can we get more info on this homebrew Leaping Berserker You speak of? It may help us help you make a better smasher. or leaper for that matter.

Garagos
2013-02-08, 07:23 PM
@HC - I considered an exotic weapon like that but didn't wanna spend a feat on it. Yes, Endurance is a pre-req for Steadfast.

@Sow - What book is Tireless in so I can look it up? It definitely sounds better than Endurance. It pained me to have to take that but I really want Steadfast. I try not to use Frenzied Berserker because I don't like the Deathless Frenzy thing. I know there are still plenty of ways to die besides damage but I guess I feel it takes away some of the fun of combat and hits/misses. Our homebrew Leaping Berserker class is pretty similar to FB though. Posting it below as best I can.

Leaping Berserker

Requirements
BAB: +5
Feats: Power Attack, Instantaneous Rage
Skills: Jump 8 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks
Alignment: Always Chaotic
Special: Rage Ability

LVL BAB Fort Ref Will Special

1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Berserk, Anger Issues
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Mighty Leaper, Berserk +1/day
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Improved Power Attack
4 +4 +4 +1 +1 Demolisher,Hopping Mad
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 Greater Berserk, Berserk +1/day
6 +6 +5 +2 +2 Leap Attack, Hot Head
7 +7 +5 +2 +2 Supreme Power Attack
8 +8 +6 +2 +2 Tireless Berserk, Berserk +1/day
9 +9 +6 +3 +3 Berserker Barrage
10 +10 +7 +3 +3 Mighty Berserk, Choleric

Hit Die: D12

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Str), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points / Level: 4 + Intelligence Modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Berserker gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Berserk (Ex): This ability is very similar to a Barbarian’s rage, and follows all of the same rules except as noted here. Berserk grants a bonus of +6 to Str and Con, but a -3 to AC. The +2 morale bonus to Will saves remains unchanged. A Berserker’s rage is more powerful than a normal barbarian’s but it also makes him that much more reckless. This ability doesn’t stack with rage, it overrides it. A Berserker can no longer Rage, this ability takes its place. The one or two Rages a Berserker had before entering this class now convert to Berserks. So a 5th level Barbarian/2nd level Berserker would have 3 Berserks per day. Two from the Barbarian class and one from the 2nd level of Berserker.

Anger Issues (Ex): The Berserker is an extremely impatient person. He hates to wait for almost anything, and loses his temper very easily. When in a tense situation, he has to make a Will save to resist getting angry and doing something rash, usually starting a fight. The Berserker can usually only wait about 30 minutes for something before he starts to get impatient beyond control and begins to take action. After waiting for 30 minutes, he has to start making Will saves DC 15 + 1 for each minute past 30 that he is kept waiting. Once he fails a Will save, he has had enough and is forced to take some sort of action to either resolve whatever he was waiting for or gives up on the situation, his choice.

Mighty Leaper (Ex): The Berserkers ability to jump great distances is almost unmatched. He is now always treated as having a 20-foot running start when making any Jump check.

Improved Power Attack (Ex): The Berserker’s Power Attacks become more devastating. The Berserker now deals +50% the normal damage from his use of the Power Attack feat. In other words, when using the Power Attack feat, a Berserker wielding a 2h weapon gains a +3 bonus on damage rolls (instead of +2) for each -1 penalty he applies to his attack rolls.

Demolisher (Ex): The Berserker’s attacks are so fierce he may now add double his Strength bonus to damage rolls with a two handed weapon, Strength and a half to one handed weapons in his main hand, and full Strength to weapons in his offhand.

Hopping Mad (Su): While Berserking, treat the character as if under the effects of a Jump spell with a caster level equal to that of his Leaping Berserker level.

Greater Berserk (Ex): The Berserk ability increases to +8 to Str and Con, and +3 morale bonus to Will saves. The AC penalty remains at a -3.

Leap Attack (Ex): The Berserker gains the Leap Attack feat for free.

Hot Head (Ex): The Berserker’s anger problem gets even more serious at this point. Anytime he takes damage he must make a Will save (DC = 20 + damage dealt) or Berserk and take aggressive action against the source of the damage. For example, if the damage came from something falling out of a window and landing on his head, he may choose to scream obscenities while breaking the object and throwing the pieces back into the window. If a barmaid slapped him for getting too familiar with her, he would either outright attack her or threaten her to the point where others would probably be concerned for her safety and a fight would probably ensue anyway.

Supreme Power Attack (Ex): The Berserker’s Power Attacks become more devastating. The Berserker now deals +100% the normal damage from his use of the Power Attack feat. In other words, when using the Power Attack feat, a Berserker wielding a 2h weapon gains a +4 bonus on damage rolls (instead of +2) for each -1 penalty he applies to his attack rolls.

Tireless Berserk (Ex): The Berserker is no longer fatigued after coming out of a Berserk.

Berserker Barrage (Ex): Once per day, the Berserker doubles the number of attacks he makes with a full attack action. This doesn’t stack with effects like haste or speed weapons, etc. This does work with dual wielding berserkers, so they may double the number of attacks with both hands.

Mighty Berserk (Ex): The Berserk ability increases to +10 to Str and Con, and +4 morale bonus to Will saves. The AC penalty remains at a -3.

Choleric (Ex): The Berserker now loses all control when he gets impatient or takes damage. If he fails a Will save from either Anger Issues or Hot Headed, he immediately begins to attack the source of damage or the source of his impatience. He must Berserk when this happens, unless he is out of Berserks for the day. An example of impatience would be if he were locked in a prison cell and wanted out. Eventually he’d miss his save and start to try to rip the bars apart, force the gate open, or smash through the floor/ceiling/walls. If he is being forced to wait for someone by party members and missed his save, he would begin to attack the party member that was the most adamant about waiting. If there are several that are equally guilty, the Berserker may choose who to start with.

EDIT: Forgot to include description of Hopping Mad.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 07:31 PM
I have to say I love the hot-headedness flavor of this prestige class, and the fact that it overrides rage.

It gives the class such a personality on its on by making it impatient, angry, and fearsome.

Its fantastic.

I still feel like you may want to re-consider finding a way to get that weapon, extra levels of fighter and less barbarian wouldnt hurt you too bad seeing as it replaces it would it?
Fighter 4/Barbarian 1?

Twilightwyrm
2013-02-08, 07:32 PM
Of interest, why do you have the Improved Sunder feat on that build? I mean, if it is a personal favorite, by all means take it, but it isn't terribly necessary on an ubercharger. Especially since, as you guys play Forgotten Realms, and therefore Battle Jump exists (though your DM still may be justified in looking at it funny).
Also of note, getting a Bastard Sword (or similar weapon that is "two-handed martial, one handed exotic) Exotic Weapon may be worth it, as it would allow you to qualify for the Exotic Weapon Master PrC. By then taking Uncanny Blow, you can effectively double (instead of multiplying by 1.5) your Str to damage, as well as doubling your power attack damage (for x6, rather than x4, PA damage on a Leap Attack).
Steadfast Determination is pretty good, but if getting it so late at the cost of two feats is getting you down, Scorpion's Resolve (from Sandstorm) gives you an effective +4 on will saves. Not at much as Steadfast Determination might give, but requires one less feat.

Garagos
2013-02-08, 07:46 PM
@HC - I considered ditching a few Barb levels for more fighter. I do kinda want Improved Uncanny Dodge though so I need to take it to at least level 5. I know thats not a great ability but I like the idea of it more than anything. So I could end up with something more like:

Barb6/Fighter4/Leaping Berserker10

I guess the other reason I tried to stay Barbarian as much as possible is for the slightly bigger HD. I know 2 hp isn't much of a difference but I know this guy is gonna get hit a lot charging all over the battlefield and not caring about taking AoO.

@Twilight - Improved Sunder is required for Combat Brute. Combat Brute helps me be a better ubercharger.

Twilightwyrm
2013-02-08, 10:54 PM
@Twilight - Improved Sunder is required for Combat Brute. Combat Brute helps me be a better ubercharger.

Ah, must have missed that, carry on then.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-09, 01:34 AM
I'd also recommend dropping some barb and picking up the extra rage feat. Maybe add a Warblade dip for Punishing Stance, Moment of Perfect Mind and Iron Heart Surge.

Newoblivion
2013-02-09, 02:30 AM
No Headless Rush? :smallconfused:

Garagos
2013-02-09, 09:14 AM
No Headless Rush? :smallconfused:

Is that a feat? I'm not familiar with Headless Rush.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-02-09, 09:43 AM
I believe he's referring to the Faerun specific Half-Orc only feat that the TO Ubercharger uses. People often ignore the racial component.

nedz
2013-02-09, 09:47 AM
Tireless is in Player's Guide to Faerûn, p. 46

Prerequisites:
Dwarf (the Galena Mountains, the Sword Coast, or Underdark [Old Shanatar]), Human (the Hordelands, the Ride, Thindol, or Vaasa), Lizardfolk (Surkh), or Wemic (the Shaar), Orc (the Hordelands).

It's setting specific so your DM might say no.

Headless Headlong Rush is in Races of Faerun, p. 164
Prerequisite BAB +4 or higher, Orc or half-orc.

Garagos
2013-02-09, 11:21 AM
My DM is a bit of a stickler when it comes to pre-reqs, but since there is no real reason its orc specific he may wave it. I'd rather have this than Imp Crit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Suddo
2013-02-09, 12:25 PM
My DM is a bit of a stickler when it comes to pre-reqs, but since there is no real reason its orc specific he may wave it. I'd rather have this than Imp Crit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Depending on fluff and rp stuff Orc is often a preferred Ubercharger. Yes it burns a feat but depending on how optimized you want to be.

Edit: By the way where is Minotaur Great Hammer from?

Aegis013
2013-02-09, 02:44 PM
Edit: By the way where is Minotaur Great Hammer from?

Monster Manual IV, page 101.

Mato
2013-02-09, 03:12 PM
Race: Dragonborn(wings) Water Orc
Class: Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1 / Drow Fighter 1 / Warblade 3 / Frenzy Barbarian 10
Feats (2 flaws): Battle Jump, Headlong Rush, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper at 6th, rest doesn't really matter.
Skills: UMD, the Twisted Charge Skill Trick.
Items: +5 Valorous Halberd of Vaulting with a Wand Hilt loaded with a Wand of Rhino's Rush. +1 Furious Gauntlets, Bands of Blood Rage, Mantle of Rage (fusions NI times into it's self if allowed), Battlewine in an Alchemical Tooth, Trident of Serenity.

Combat
You enter Whirling Frenzy, if DM treats it as Rage it's upgraded to Greater & you can use it multiple times per day, for a +6 Str. Frenzy for +10 Str. Your swift action is split between three choices, +4 alchemical to str, +5 moral to damage, or cast Rhino's rush for double damage. Stick to the wand if you can charge.

With your additional +30 bonus to Jump leap at your opponent and land on their head trigger Dragonborn's Dive, your weapon, Battle Jump, and Leap Attack. You deal (Base_Damage+(Str*1.5)+ (BAB*2+100))*5 (6 is using rhino) damage per hit. With a full attack. And you have at least one additional attack than normal.

Example. If you have 10 Str (no never mind to the +4 racial bonus) & a Greatsword, you in turn deal 12d6+291 per hit for a potential of 1,665 damage per round. Guess what happens if you actually tried to obtain strength and polished the build?

Afterwards, try to murder the someone near the guy holding your spear to instantly end Rage/Frenzy/etc before you even attack them.

Pick and mix to your homebrew as desired and Google any item or feat you are unfamiliar with for details.