PDA

View Full Version : Short Campaigns

a happy dancer
2013-02-08, 04:57 PM
I'd like some help finding a series of short 3.5 D&D premade campaigns. Short=hopefully won't take more than five, six hours. I'd love to find some that are for low level characters. My group of friends are great for playing D&D, but they usually can never meet at the same time, so it would be awesome to be able to throw their characters into adventures without saying, "We can't play because so-and-so isn't here."
I'm really new to DMing, and so far I've only DMed Scourge of the Howling Horde.

HC Rainbow
2013-02-08, 05:39 PM
I'd like some help finding a series of short 3.5 D&D premade campaigns. Short=hopefully won't take more than five, six hours. I'd love to find some that are for low level characters. My group of friends are great for playing D&D, but they usually can never meet at the same time, so it would be awesome to be able to throw their characters into adventures without saying, "We can't play because so-and-so isn't here."
I'm really new to DMing, and so far I've only DMed Scourge of the Howling Horde.

If you're not having much luck in finding campaigns, You have a couple of options.

1. What I did when I first started DMing was planned a series of events that would happen in their lives as PC's and handmade every quest for them, it took a lot of work, and over time I grew tired of that. If youve got free time and a creative mind this one is great. If youre super new to DMing I would recommend Option 2.

2. Click this (donjon.bin.sh/d20/dungeon/) Pick all the things you want for your dungeon, and it will randomly build one for you, Which is really cool, but kinda stale, Dizzy Dragon also has one like that, I'll find a link for it if you would like.

Personally I combine the two now and have it generate a map for me (Especially because I make things symmetrical because I'm OCD about that) and I work monsters into there and create a story for it.

I'll take a look around and see if I can find prebuilt campaigns for you but these options are just options. Take them with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Took a look around and found This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202146) Which is another thread based around what You're looking for. Will keep looking though

EDIT EDIT: If you've found quests that you like but feel they are too long, another option is to simply take things out of them, Or break the quest up into days. When DMing, it may seem upsetting to stop the campaign in the middle, but if all your PC's walk into a room, and they hear a loud cranking sound, a shadow emerges in front of them, and a wave of fire sweeps from across the room heading towards them, and you tell them Next week they find out what happens, It is highly anticipating, exciting, and just like having to wait a week to see the next episode of heroes, or dragon ball z. Yes we all wanted to see what would happen to Goku but then that builds excitement for the next campaign.

That is extremely useful. TL;DR - End on a climax.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-02-08, 06:26 PM
I don't have any specific suggestions, but you might have more luck poking around Google if you use the term "one-shot campaign," which is what these are typically referred to as.