PDA

View Full Version : Wildshaping for fun and profit

AWiz_Abroad
2013-02-08, 08:13 PM
Hey all,

Epic game, trying to build a 32nd level wildshaping ranger. I am trying to fill two roles that are vacant with the departure of a player, namely a second line tank (legendary were bear) and dps(ranger/scout)

I've got currently a ranger20/MMF10/Natures Warrior2.

Preferred combat form is a gargantuan gold dragon with sharp teeth item(Draconomicon) improved natural attack bite&claw, and some wonderful DR10 epic wild armor.

How else would you tweak the build? Gear, spells to persist?(persist rods are available), feats? I've got many of them ironed out I think, but I'll be delighted to see your responses.

TL;DR. Please help develop a 32nd level wildshaping ranger to be good at tanking and skill monkeying

Coidzor
2013-02-08, 08:37 PM
Mystic Ranger (Dragon Magazine) on the table?

AWiz_Abroad
2013-02-08, 08:38 PM
Sorry, nope. Books only, and 2flaws.

And good aligned, so no BoVD

Kazyan
2013-02-09, 12:57 AM
Consider some Warshaper. It's like Improved Natural Attack for everything at once. Plus the bit of healing, more Strength, reach...you'll have to work out the unlimited-tentacles bug, though.

Snowbluff
2013-02-09, 12:59 AM
Aberrant Wildshape + Chameleon 2. Take Assume (Su) to gain a supernatural from your forms when you need one .

HC Rainbow
2013-02-09, 06:59 AM
Consider some Warshaper. It's like Improved Natural Attack for everything at once. Plus the bit of healing, more Strength, reach...you'll have to work out the unlimited-tentacles bug, though.

Plus the ability to wildshape at will is pretty fun to say the least.

Amnestic
2013-02-09, 08:23 AM
you'll have to work out the unlimited-tentacles bug, though.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :smallwink:

Kaeso
2013-02-09, 09:15 AM
It's not a bug, it's a feature! :smallwink:

:smalleek: A potentially very disturbing feature.

Mcdt2
2013-02-09, 06:46 PM
A 2 level dip in Deep Warden (Races of Stone) will get you CON Mod to AC, helpful because you will tend to have huge con in melee forms, such as dragon. Sadly, requires being a dwarf, but this can be cirumvented by taking 3 levels in stoneblessed (wouldn't recommend it) or being a changeling and using Racial emulation feat (Races of Ebberon) to mimic dwarfdom.

Speaking of changelings, they are also good for qualifying into the Chameleon PrC (Races of Destiny). A 2 level dip gets you a floating feat that you can change each day. Great for taking Assume Supernatural Ability for a different ability each day. Anothe benefit to being a changeling? You cand take the form of some strong humanoid form and still walk around looking like yourself, or be a gold dragon who looks like a different type of dragon, tricking enemies into thinking you have different weaknesses than you do.

Bit of an investment, but 9 levels in Planar Shephard (Faiths of Eberron) lets you turn into outsiders from any one plane. Advances wildshape and casting fully, as a bonus.

Snowbluff
2013-02-09, 07:39 PM
A 2 level dip in Deep Warden (Races of Stone) will get you CON Mod to AC, helpful because you will tend to have huge con in melee forms, such as dragon. Sadly, requires being a dwarf, but this can be cirumvented by taking 3 levels in stoneblessed (wouldn't recommend it) or being a changeling and using Racial emulation feat (Races of Ebberon) to mimic dwarfdom.
Dwarf isn't bad. The improved Con gives you more HP, and you don't suffer the movement penalty if you are in a form already.

I Ninjaed the Chameleon suggestion.:smalltongue: