PDA

View Full Version : Crafting in the dungeon

Newoblivion
2013-02-08, 10:12 PM
So, I have a level 5 character, and we are about to go up a level. I thought about taking craft wondrous items. The thing is that I know that we are going to be in this dungeon for at list 3 more levels (which is a lot of time), and I can't see how I can use this feat.

Is there any way I can craft magic items, scribe scrolls, etc.' in the dungeon?

Also, my character is a shadow weave user. So most of the group won't be able to enjoy from the items I am making. Is it still worth taking those feats even if I will be the only one using those items?

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-08, 10:22 PM
You need an Enveloping Pit, furnished inside as a multi-story building with workshop in there, and a Dedicated Wright in it. Pay someone with Craft Construct to help you make a Dedicated Wright specific to you... and make sure SOMEONE in the party has a lot of UMD for the Enveloping Pit. Or change religions.

And I am pretty sure that the Shadow Weave has nothing to do with how your Wondrous Devices turn out!

Newoblivion
2013-02-08, 10:25 PM
Any item I craft is a shadow weave item. This means that weave users take wisdom damage if they try to use it.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-08, 10:31 PM
...srsly? I don't see that in the Shadow Weave Magic feat...

edit: see it now.

Acanous
2013-02-08, 10:33 PM
What about nonmagic characters? Do they also take the damage?

ArcturusV
2013-02-08, 10:38 PM
Well, you mention scribing scrolls. This you can do in a dungeon, on the road, whatever. All it requires is that you not do anything else for the day. Just... spend a day scribing scrolls, and use the appropriate materials. Party shouldn't even really mind since all it requires is you guys saying, "We wait in this secured room 1 day". Not like it seriously derails the campaign to do it.

Other items usually require workshops, tools, etc that makes it impractical.

Newoblivion
2013-02-08, 10:40 PM
What about nonmagic characters? Do they also take the damage?

Good question. Reading it now, it seems that everyone without the feat takes the wisdom damage. Not just weave users.

Coidzor
2013-02-08, 11:30 PM
Good question. Reading it now, it seems that everyone without the feat takes the wisdom damage. Not just weave users.

Ah... Unless you're in a party of shadow weave users that's unfortunate then, as the party crafter is usually everyone's best friend.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-08, 11:41 PM
Is there any way I can craft magic items, scribe scrolls, etc.' in the dungeon?Yes.
The creator also needs a fairly quiet, comfortable, and well-lit place in which to work. Any place suitable for preparing spells is suitable for making items. Creating an item requires one day per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price, with a minimum of at least one day. Potions are an exception to this rule; they always take just one day to brew. The character must spend the gold and XP at the beginning of the construction process.

The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.
So: You have 24 hours in the day.
You spend 8 hours resting.
You spend 1 hour preparing spells.
You spend an hour or so doing other things.
You spend 8 hours crafting.
That leaves you with six hours for actually exploring the dungeon. Most people don't push for eight hours, they push for 2-6 encounters. You should be fine. And as you can craft basically anywhere that you could prepare spells, you're surprisingly set.

... as long as you don't have to actually find a shop for materials.

Acanous
2013-02-08, 11:44 PM

That's a horrible, terrible feat probably only written for BBEGs, and not intended for players to have.

Like Consumptive Field, only it makes your party hate you instead of winning the game.

Newoblivion
2013-02-08, 11:54 PM
That's a horrible, terrible feat probably only written for BBEGs, and not intended for players to have.

Like Consumptive Field, only it makes your party hate you instead of winning the game.

The feat is quite cool IMO. And if you want to play a Shadow Adept then you need it.

Also I can always craft things for myself.

@Jack_Simth, I saw (I think in the PHB) that I need a workshop for item creation feats.