PDA

View Full Version : Northeast US Snow Storm

Chilingsworth
2013-02-08, 11:09 PM
So, there's a big storm battering the northeastern US. I'm in New Hampshire. My governor has declared a state of emergency for the state, but so far I haven't been hit too badly. How are other playgrounders in the affected region holding out?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-02-09, 01:32 AM
Montreal's been mild. It's VERY WINDY and fairly snowy, but not so much that I didn't head out tonight. (Though walking back was miserable, I need to get groceries tomorrow but I really don't know how much actual leaving-residence is going to happen)

Thump
2013-02-09, 01:48 AM
too much damn snow in Ottawa.

that is all.

Gettles
2013-02-09, 01:57 AM
I'm in NJ and I think I've gotten about 6-8 inches so far and still going. So nothing too huge.

Traab
2013-02-09, 08:48 AM
Im in Ct and my doors are in waist deep drifts. My dog is having a breakdown because I cant let him out in the back and the front has about 5 feet of cleared walking space I shoveled before getting exhausted. The plowed part of my yard before the street gets hit is of course, even deeper and nastier.

Mauve Shirt
2013-02-09, 08:56 AM
I am SO JEALOUS. I want a big snow. :smallfrown:
That said, stay safe, don't throw out your back with all that shoveling.

Bulldog Psion
2013-02-09, 08:59 AM
Wisconsin, on the other hand, could use some more snow. Or so I'm told, since I'm still overseas.

Traab
2013-02-09, 09:38 AM
I have managed to shove my tiny niece out the crack I was able to force the back door open and she is now working on digging out the door for me to get out there and finish. Poor girl is up to her chest if she falls through. Wish me luck im about to get started.

*EDIT*! Yay! Got the back door open, and a path to the back yard. Not only that, but I finally got a crooked path to the street done. Its only that way because the dog managed to force his way to the street and I decided to shovel the path of least resistance. Kind of funny watching a 50 pound dog hurl itself through snowbanks above its head.

The driveway though is going to be hell. It is truck bumper deep, but the plowed area goes up to the windshield. This is going to SUUUUUUUUUCK!

Chilingsworth
2013-02-09, 11:18 AM
^:smalleek:

Looks like the storm almost completely passed over me. We have to break out our snowblower and shovels to deal with abit of snow, and clear the cars off, but it shouldn't be too hard. (Well, a warning is still apparently in effect for the next five hours or so, but I think that's due to concern about the coast.)

Anyway, stay safe, Traab!

Traab
2013-02-09, 11:39 AM
Define "safe"? I already have a hurt elbow and a sore wrist. The first 2 feet of snow is easy enough to shovel, the last foot and a half however, is tightly packed from the weight and near rock solid. Its so deep I couldnt even use my snowblower, so its all being done by hand. I keep hoping some dumb kids show up with an offer to shovel my drive for me.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-09, 11:47 AM
Define "safe"? I already have a hurt elbow and a sore wrist. The first 2 feet of snow is easy enough to shovel, the last foot and a half however, is tightly packed from the weight and near rock solid. Its so deep I couldnt even use my snowblower, so its all being done by hand. I keep hoping some dumb kids show up with an offer to shovel my drive for me.

:smalleek: Ok, replace "safe" with "alive." :smalleek:

Damn, I thought the weather was supposed to get worse the further north you went...

Thump
2013-02-09, 12:02 PM
Two and a half feet of snow in Ottawa.

Friggin' unbelievable... took too long to shovel in the middle of the night.

Traab
2013-02-09, 12:12 PM
Two and a half feet of snow in Ottawa.

Friggin' unbelievable... took too long to shovel in the middle of the night.

I shoveled yesterday too, but I gave up after the second time it all got filled back in by the wind as if I never did anything. Just had to wait it out and deal with the damage.

Hbgplayer
2013-02-09, 01:41 PM
Yikes. Stay safe and warm everybody.

SarahV
2013-02-09, 01:47 PM
We have 20-some inches here in Cambridge (Mass.), I'm guessing. Luckily I live in an apartment and don't own a car so I don't have to shovel anything! The cars parked out back are completely hidden, just giant white bumps in the snow. Not sure if it's even worth going outside today.

Traab
2013-02-09, 05:10 PM
Ok, so, the city is officially shut down, trying to drive on the roads without a legitimate emergency is worth a 95 dollar fine, the highways havent even been fully plowed yet because there is so much snow that there is nowhere to PUT it all. Forget about side streets, half of them havent been plowed yet, and the other half are enough for an emergency lane. My street right now you cant turn off it to any connecting side streets because there is a 6 foot deep drift of plowed snow across all the lanes.

On the plus side, working in shifts, I was able to get my driveway cleared enough to see the rear bumper of my truck. Not bad considering the lane is so long you could park two cars in my driveway safely without hitting my truck. Unfortunately the sun is going down and we are all exhausted so digging out my tires, and my door will wait till tomorrow. All I want is enough room to open my door and free up my tires and then pray I dont get stuck spinning my wheels. My back hurts, my arms hurt, my legs hurt, my head hurts. And soon my niece will hurt because she is having way too much fun digging tunnels and depositing all that snow directly into my nicely shoveled sidewalks.

noparlpf
2013-02-09, 05:59 PM
My mum in lower Westchester (just north of NYC) has about a foot. My dad's in Danbury, CT and probably got upwards of two feet, but I couldn't reach him when I called earlier. He'll probably call back eventually.

I'm out on Long Island (Stony Brook) and have a good two feet. Haven't even bothered trying to leave, as I don't believe I have access to any snow shovels and would have to force my way out with my flatmates' broom. Or just, you know, call my landlord and ask to borrow a shovel. But what's outside anyway? I have ice cream, meat, Classic Who, and I'm learning to knit, so I'm set for the weekend.

EmeraldRose
2013-02-10, 12:31 PM
Just so you know it's coming...the Midwest is getting pretty fairly pounded all day today and part of tomorrow with snow/sleet/etc. Lots of sleet all morning, and now it's massive fat snowflakes. Just dumping.

And yes, the last two years, there hasn't really been much snow here. We are more than overdue I think...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-02-10, 12:48 PM
Back in Toronto, all the local journalists are holding a gigantic twitter debate over how to deal with parked cars along streetcar routes blocking the streetcar routes because of the snow. Technically parking like that is illegal if the city declares a snow emergency, but for some reason they haven't.

Consensus so far is that the streetcar should be allowed to ram. Anecdotal evidence declares that streetcars are like tanks and can ram cars without even being overly shaken.

I hope everyone in harder-hit areas is safe and ok!

Thanatos 51-50
2013-02-10, 12:54 PM
Everything seems to have died down here.
In Southeastern Massachusetts, we lost power for almost exactly fifteen hours, and must ave spent at least three shoveling out the car.

WX Maps are saying that there should be a nice coating of snow and/or rain in the next couple of days just to give us all a generous re-sprinkle. Because apparently, a nice, large High Pressure bubble was too much to ask for,

Traab
2013-02-10, 03:50 PM
IM FREEEEEEEE!!!!! Finally got my truck out, and even drove it around to the pharmacy to pick up some meds.

noparlpf
2013-02-10, 04:33 PM
IM FREEEEEEEE!!!!! Finally got my truck out, and even drove it around to the pharmacy to pick up some meds.

Hey, congrats.

So I just went outside. Don't have a shovel, so...
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/0210131458-00_zps8afe61d8.jpg

That is a pan duct-taped to a broom handle. It worked.
But then my landlord got my message and came out to give me a real shovel before I'd gone more than two meters out the door. Cleared a path from my door to the road, but the road itself is still two feet deep in snow. The town isn't bothering to send plows out to us until Tuesday or Wednesday. Luckily, school is officially cancelled tomorrow.

Cuthalion
2013-02-10, 10:35 PM
Good luck to all of ye in a blizzard. I know my brother and his wife headed down to Florida this week.

Killer Angel
2013-02-11, 03:39 AM
I suppose there's no need to link you to the Snowman thread... :smallwink:

(jokes apart, I hope you're all right)

JCarter426
2013-02-11, 03:51 AM
They still haven't finished plowing here. I heard and saw some earlier, around midnight or so, but they're gone now, so I'm not sure of the status of the side streets. Some kids took to using the steepest one for sledding yesterday. So there was a news van parked across the street for the better part of the day. I guess apart from all the snow, possibly because of it, it was a slow news day.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-11, 03:53 AM
So I just went outside. Don't have a shovel, so...
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/0210131458-00_zps8afe61d8.jpg

That's awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Actually, mind if I use that pic for a demotivator?

EmeraldRose
2013-02-11, 08:48 AM
Yaay!!!! Snowball fight with the kids yesterday! And sledding!! And a snowman that somehow became a volcano... :smallconfused:

noparlpf
2013-02-11, 11:44 AM
That's awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Actually, mind if I use that pic for a demotivator?

There's just something about college that turns everybody into a junior MacGyver.

Sure, whatever. I put it on the internet, it's out of my control now regardless of my rights to it.