PDA

View Full Version : East Flavored Eberon ?

silverwolfer
2013-02-08, 11:45 PM
So am trying to apply to a game as a hyeakouri ((blah however that is spelled) shapechanger from oriental adventures , and take a wu jen on top of it.

What sort of region or gods would fit the eastern flavor? I am not sure of region , but I was looking at the devourer, as a good match of the natural elemental damage like feel that you could gain between the two.

TaiLiu
2013-02-08, 11:52 PM
So am trying to apply to a game as a hyeakouri ((blah however that is spelled) shapechanger from oriental adventures , and take a wu jen on top of it.

What sort of region or gods would fit the eastern flavor? I am not sure of region , but I was looking at the devourer, as a good match of the natural elemental damage like feel that you could gain between the two.

What do you mean? 'Eastern flavour' is a very vague term.

Greenish
2013-02-08, 11:55 PM
PGtE suggests that Wu Jen are commonly found in Eldeen Reaches, and henkeyokai could also be from the region, perhaps originally descended from beings from Lamannia or Thelanis (both of which have stable manifest zones in the area). Not particularly oriental in theme, granted, but some refluffing is in order anyway.

silverwolfer
2013-02-09, 12:06 AM
Think these might work as wu jen is elementally focused anyways?

Ashbound
Children of Winter
Gatekeepers
Greensingers
Wardens of the Wood

Novawurmson
2013-02-09, 12:29 AM
I feel like Sarlona has some Eastern flavor. How about an elementalist who studied in the kalashtar-held area?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-02-09, 12:31 AM
Think these might work as wu jen is elementally focused anyways?

Ashbound
Children of Winter
Gatekeepers
Greensingers
Wardens of the Wood

...You do realize that those are all DRUIDIC sects, right?

I feel like Sarlona has some Eastern flavor. How about an elementalist who studied in the kalashtar-held area?

You know, I've always thought the same thing myself. I could totally see it.

Novawurmson
2013-02-09, 12:48 AM
...You do realize that those are all DRUIDIC sects, right?

Well, just because it's a druid sect doesn't mean that every member has druid class levels. Plenty of adepts, rangers, barbarians, etc. that follow the basic teachings. The books suggest the Eldeen Reaches for Eberron Wu Jen, for what it's worth.

Bearlock
2013-02-09, 02:30 AM
Well, just because it's a druid sect doesn't mean that every member has druid class levels. Plenty of adepts, rangers, barbarians, etc. that follow the basic teachings. The books suggest the Eldeen Reaches for Eberron Wu Jen, for what it's worth.

Well, while yes, adepts, barbarian and rangers have no arcane talents. And the Ashbound HATE arcane magic. Its kind of their thing. I believe they placed wu jen in the Reaches because the only way to learn to be one is through one-on-one master-apprentice training. Also, all the wu jens restrictions play into "crazy backwood superstition" that would be laughed at in the civilized Five Nations. I'm going to have to look back into the class again, but while some of the druidic sects may abide or even let a wu jen help out with something, as far as them teaming up and hanging out, I just don't see it. Two way different philosophies.

I do agree with Novawurmson, I could see Adarans taking up as wu-jen more easily than full on wizards.

T.G. Oskar
2013-02-09, 03:49 AM
The suggestions given in the Player's Guide to Eberron point towards Samurai as part of a movement towards a unified Galifar, with bushido representing those ideals. Shugenja appear as divine casters from Argonessen, where they draw their power from dragons and mostly reside in Seren. Wu Jen, as mentioned, emerge from the Eldeen Reaches (probably hunted by the Ashbound), in a one-on-one training.

I'd go a bit further and suggest the Dhakaani Empire could easily be flavored in the same style of Oriental Adventures Rokugan, with the current reenacting tribes trying to reclaim that splendor. Goblin divine casters could easily be Shugenja, goblinoid arcane casters could easily be wu jen, goblinoid rogues could easily be ninja, and goblinoid warriors could be fighters, samurai or warblades (the latter exemplifying the Iron Heart discipline, and probably Diamond Mind as well).

As someone mentioned, Sarlona also has an Oriental Adventures feel, but you have to realize most of that feel is gone, and psionics is very important. You could have Samurai around, and probably one or two shugenja (not to mention swordsages: Adar feels like the right place to have them around), but for the most part you'd have Psychic Warriors and Soulknives following their own Way of the Warrior, while Lurks would be their "men in hiding". Both variants (the ancient human kingdoms of Sarlona and the Dhakaani empire) could have existed on their own, much like ancient China and Japan and Korea.

Greenish
2013-02-09, 03:51 AM
The shifter troops serving the Inspired are also mentioned to be samurai.

avr
2013-02-09, 03:55 AM
For odd ancient magical traditions the Lhazaar principalities might work, they're supposed to be the origin point of humanity on the continent of Khorvaire. There's plenty of changelings there who might mix well with hengeyokai too.

Otherwise, Adar on Sarlona is the obvious answer. The trick is an origin story for how your character left Adar.