PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand the Beast Rider (PF)

Menteith
2013-02-08, 11:53 PM
The Beast Rider (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/classArchetypes/cavalier.html) archetype for the Cavalier enables the class to access a wider range of mounts. The namesake ability of the archetype, Exotic Mount (Ex), is causing me a headache. If anyone could explain to me how this is supposed to work, I'd really appreciate it.

At 1st level, a beast rider forms a bond with a strong, loyal companion that permits him to ride it as a mount. This mount functions as a druid's animal companion, using the beast rider's level as his effective druid level. The animal chosen as a mount must be large enough to carry the beast rider (Medium or Large for a Small character; Large or Huge for a Medium character)........Medium beast riders can choose a camel or horse mount at 1st level. At 4th level, a Medium beast rider can also choose an allosaurus, ankylosaurus, arsinoitherium, aurochs, bison, brachiosaurus, elephant, glyptodon, hippopotamus, lion, mastodon, megaloceros, snapping turtle (giant), tiger, triceratops, or tyrannosaurus as his mount.

The problem is that all of the 4th level choices for a Medium character will be Medium sized using the Animal Companion rules. You cannot select a Medium mount if you are a medium character. The ability explicitly states that you both can and cannot select the Mounts offered at 4th level. How should this be resolved?