PDA

View Full Version : SAO character conversion

Stag
2013-02-09, 01:07 AM
Hey this is a bit wierd question, but while I was watching SAO (Sword Art Online) I was wondering what kinda class Kirito would be, as in, he uses light armor, duel swords, with some kinda blade magic worked in. I'm currently of the thought that he might be comprised of some amalgam of warblade, using Ironheart + Tiger Claw. But I'm not sure, any thoughts? P.S if you haven't seen SAO, go watch it!

silverwolfer
2013-02-09, 01:15 AM
you answered your own question :)

But I would add a one level dip of some sort of magic class, as he does get spells in the second season , which are illusion and polyshaping.

Flickerdart
2013-02-09, 04:15 AM
4E would be a much better system to replicate Kirito in, since TWF is actually ridiculously strong there, while it's rubbish in 3.5. Tiger Claw is a good start, but the stuff Kirito pulls off even in season 1 is way beyond that - his fast healing, for instance, gets ridiculous, and he has a few non-combat skills. I would peg him as some kind of Swiftblade. Since they only made it 3/4 of the way up the tower, it makes sense to peg Kirito somewhere around level 15 (he didn't really do enough in Alfheim to level up, except maybe in the end). Diligent Rapidity (the Swiftblade 8 ability) actually looks a lot like what happened in the final Alfheim battle, if we allow that he levelled in the middle of the fight from a free XP boost. That gives us 7 levels to qualify for Swiftblade, which lets Kirito get in as a Bard 7. The best part about this is that he can deflect magic with his sword*. His bardic music is a decent source of bonus attack/damage to make TWF not suck, he picks up a few maneuvers with feats, and trades out all the other class features for various ACFs. 4th level Bard spells give him access to quite a few powerful illusion effects, as well (though sadly not Fly).

*Undersong is a Bard spell that allows you to replace any Concentration check with a Perform check, so when combined with the maneuvers that replace saves with Concentration checks, Kirito can literally use Perform: Weapon Drill to cut apart fireballs and lightning bolts and such.

SowZ
2013-02-09, 04:19 AM
4E would be a much better system to replicate Kirito in, since TWF is actually ridiculously strong there, while it's rubbish in 3.5. Tiger Claw is a good start, but the stuff Kirito pulls off even in season 1 is way beyond that - his fast healing, for instance, gets ridiculous, and he has a few non-combat skills. I would peg him as some kind of Swiftblade. Since they only made it 3/4 of the way up the tower, it makes sense to peg Kirito somewhere around level 15 (he didn't really do enough in Alfheim to level up, except maybe in the end). Diligent Rapidity (the Swiftblade 8 ability) actually looks a lot like what happened in the final Alfheim battle, if we allow that he levelled in the middle of the fight from a free XP boost. That gives us 7 levels to qualify for Swiftblade, which lets Kirito get in as a Bard 7. The best part about this is that he can deflect magic with his sword*. His bardic music is a decent source of bonus attack/damage to make TWF not suck, he picks up a few maneuvers with feats, and trades out all the other class features for various ACFs. 4th level Bard spells give him access to quite a few powerful illusion effects, as well (though sadly not Fly).

*Undersong is a Bard spell that allows you to replace any Concentration check with a Perform check, so when combined with the maneuvers that replace saves with Concentration checks, Kirito can literally use Perform: Weapon Drill to cut apart fireballs and lightning bolts and such.

Kirito doesn't fly from a class feature or spell, though. He flies from the Faerie template, (or his race changed to Spriggan, either way.) Since 'everyone' flies, I don't think it should be something he needs to get with his class. Since illusion magic is specific to one sub set of people and he practiced getting better at it a little more than he did with his flying, it makes more sense to try and replicate with Bard as opposed to justify with a template.