PDA

View Full Version : I'm at a crossroads...

Deceit
2013-02-09, 01:17 AM
There is an online game I'm tempted to join, but it's going to feature heavy PvP.

The DMs rules regarding optimization and Tier restriction is murky at best.

Is there any reason I should even bother making a melee or physical damage dealer? Is there any reason to not go Tier 1 + Tier 1 PrC and just break things?

Santra
2013-02-09, 01:31 AM
For the challenge of making a viable low tier character in a high tier, most likely lethal, game?

Chilingsworth
2013-02-09, 01:54 AM
Should you make anything other than the most powerful character the DM will allow under the above circumstances? Probably not.

Personally, I'd go with a cleric with the Domination domain (SpC 273) and the Tyranny domain (SpC 281).

JeminiZero
2013-02-09, 02:49 AM
It is useful to always begin with an objective in mind. Specifically: Why do you want to play? Usually, we play to have fun.

If you want to play a T3 melee build in a loosely restricted T1 PvP game, lets be honest here, you will likely be killed, or dominated by one of the casters and turned into meat puppet. BUT if you have fun doing so, then thats perfectly fine.

If you want to play to WIN in a loosely restricted PvP game, then you will likely need some sort of tier 1. And to be honest, even then you may NOT win, because everybody will be using the same game-breaking tricks, and it boils down to a lot of strategy and a bit of luck. BUT again, if you have fun doing so, then thats also perfectly fine.

And if neither option appeals to you, the likely solution involves finding another game which you will enjoy.

lord pringle
2013-02-09, 02:51 AM
Because Warblade Uberchargers are really fun in a PvP match?

barna10
2013-02-09, 03:03 AM
There's always the position of team manipulator. Play a rougish type with a huge bluff and get the other players to fight each other while you sit back and watch. Beguiller would be perfect.

demigodus
2013-02-09, 03:11 AM
A gish would let you have a melee/physical damage dealer with a bunch of T1 tricks

Alternatively get Hide in Plain Sight and massive stealth. Kinda hard to kill you if they don't have a clue where you are.

Alternatively, go Frenzied Berserker. The only downside to that class is the rage induced PvP'ing.

Or if you are really good at making characters, a Gish Frenzied Berserker that has Hide in Plain Sight and massive hide/move silently bonuses.

Your team mates never see you. They don't know where you are. Just, suddenly when you stub your toe, they seem their limbs getting dislodged from their bodies by shadows.