PDA

View Full Version : Dishonored or Farcry 3?

Jeivar
2013-02-09, 02:41 AM
I'm thinking of picking one of them up on Steam, but only one for now and I'm wondering which. They both seem pretty fun, though in different ways.

So I guess I'm asking folks who've played both which one has a better fun vs frustration balance.

Flickerdart
2013-02-09, 03:36 AM
From what I understand, Dishonored is not very long, whereas Far Cry 3 is sandboxy...so the latter will probably deliver more bang for your buck.

Cespenar
2013-02-09, 03:44 AM
Dishonored has a better story and atmosphere, but is shorter and doesn't have the sweet sandbox experience of Far Cry 3.

Both games have adequately entertaining stealth systems. Far Cry requires you to be more intuitive, relying on approach directions, terrain, etc. but Dishonored has those cool powers like teleportation, possession, time stop, etc.

Since Dishonored is more episodic, you'd probably try to pull perfect stealth runs and may be more frustrated in turn, when you fail. In Far Cry, it's more organic and sandboxy, so even if you fumble your stealth, there is no judgement system, so you can continue on with normal guns-blazing FPS mechanics for a short while and not feel like restarting at all.

Both are pretty good games, though, in my opinion.

SowZ
2013-02-09, 04:01 AM
Myself? I don't invest that much time in video games so when I do I prefer a more novel experience with a more interesting world or play mechanic. Experiences like Portal are ideal for me. So short length doesn't bother me. If you are like me, not so much a hardcore gamer but appreciate that brand of storytelling and still have a lot of fun when they are clever, probably Dishonored, from what I've heard.

But if video games are one of your main hobbies you may want something that will last a long time and that you can get really invested in. And I've heard good things about Far Cry 3, in general. And I like the feel of Far cry games, from what I've played. Planning an ambush is great fun.

So it might depend on what type of gamer you are.

(Note: Most of my gaming info is from friends, reading, or my gf who sells games retail and tells me about the new games. So, you know, second hand info. Stuff gets lost in translation, I'm sure, so take my advice with a grain of salt.)

Hiro Protagonest
2013-02-09, 05:46 PM
Far Cry 3 has some immersion-breaking stuff (the main character's skills, crafting), and it's a twitch shooter (no ballistics modeling).

Dishonored is shorter and not open-world, and you get magic even though the world doesn't really come off that way.

Far Cry 3 has a poor ending (though not as poor as Mass Effect 3 and some other games).

In Dishonored, any story beyond the immediate plot is barely explained.

In Far Cry 3, you get a flamethrower and hang-gliders.

In Dishonored, you get magic and nonlethal attacks.

Both do stealth pretty well. Far Cry 3 is more like you're a commando or guerilla, Dishonored is more like Thief with a first-person view and some more options.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-02-11, 12:10 PM
I dunno, I kinda liked Farcry 3's ending. It really tied it all together where you had to face the fact that you are a monster who has taken way too many pshyco-active substances through your whole trip. The ending lets you pick just how far gone Jason truly is.